Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Out of the Park Baseball 25 > OOTP Dynasty Reports
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

OOTP Dynasty Reports Tell us about the OOTP dynasties you have built!

Old 01-09-2019, 04:39 AM   #1
Hendu Style
All Star Starter

Remember the Alomars

Their talent was undeniable. Their baseball pedigree was without peer. Sandy Alomar Jr. and Roberto Alomar were signed by the San Diego Padres as teenagers in the 1980's, destined to play baseball ever since they were born in Puerto Rico as the sons of Major Leaguer Santos "Sandy" Alomar Sr.

Sadly, the Alomar Brothers only played briefly together for the Padres in 1988 and 1989 before Sandy Jr. was shipped off to the Cleveland Indians in 1990. Roberto was traded to the Toronto Blue Jays one year later. Their careers intersected once again in 1999 when Robbie signed as a free agent with the Indians to reunite with his big brother. The younger Alomar would go on to become a Hall of Fame second baseman, accruing a lifetime .300 batting average while being named an All-Star twelve straight years, and earning twelve Gold Glove awards. The elder Alomar was a victim of injuries and circumstance. Sandy was twice named the Minor League Baseball Player of the Year, but only made it to San Diego for two late-season call-ups, blocked by incumbent starter Benito Santiago.

This dynasty will attempt to right the wrongs of the San Diego Padres. Roberto Alomar and Sandy Alomar Jr. will stay together as brothers and teammates, for better or for worse. Any trades or free agent signings that happen in this dynasty will only involve players who actually suited up for San Diego. You won't see Barry Bonds or Roger Clemens playing for the Padres, but hopefully you will see a competitive team that is formed around the nucleus of Roberto Alomar, Sandy Alomar Jr., and - oh, yeah - "Mr. Padre" himself, Tony Gwynn.

So buckle up, Padre fans, as we take you from the late 1980's and into the 2000's, with Robbie and Sandy Jr. in...

Previous OOTP Dynasties:
SimNation Fictional Universe (est. 1889)
This is Oakland A's Baseball
Beane Counting: The Oakland A's
Hendu Style is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 08:29 PM   #2
Hendu Style
All Star Starter

House Rules

A few house rules.

AI trade difficulty is set to the hardest level, and to favor prospects.

To keep the focus on the Alomars, I'll be limiting myself to two trades per calendar year, and I can't acquire any players who never played for the Padres in real life.

Same rule applies for free agency and the Rule 5 draft... any non-Padres are off limits.

Roberto Alomar, Sandy Alomar Jr., and Tony Gwynn must all remain Padres for life.

I will end this dynasty after the last of these Padres is retired and is eligible for the Hall of Fame. With any luck, we'll have a couple of players headed to Cooperstown wearing Padres hats at their induction ceremony!

The stories will for the most part be written in AP Style (Associated Press, fit for newspaper and other news outlets). I will also incorporate your comments into the story whenever possible. Let's have some fun!

Previous OOTP Dynasties:
Old 01-09-2019, 09:17 PM   #3
Hendu Style
All Star Starter

Padres Trade Santiago to Jays for McGriff
Swap paves way for top prospect Alomar Jr.

SAN DIEGO, Calif. -- All-Star catcher Benito Santiago was traded by the San Diego Padres to Toronto in exchange for Blue Jays first baseman Fred McGriff as part of a six-player deal, both clubs announced on Saturday. Santiago put together a 34-game hitting streak as a rookie last season, on the way to a .300 season and National League Rookie of the Year honors. The Padres had reportedly shopped around the catcher in an effort to make room on the roster for top catching prospect Sandy Alomar Jr.

"Benny was a terrific catcher for us last season and I know he'll do great in Toronto," San Diego General Manager Jack McKeon told reporters on a conference call. "This was not an easy decision, but I think we have an even better catcher waiting in the wings. I really mean that."

Alomar Jr. hit .307 in Double-A Wichita last season, and is expected to start the season in Triple-A Las Vegas with his brother, Roberto Alomar.

"I can't believe I'm gone after one year here," Santiago told the Associated Press by phone from his home in Puerto Rico. "I was just starting to pack my bags for Spring Training. I guess I'm a Blue Jay now."

McGriff hit 20 homers in 107 games for the Blue Jays last year, his first full season in the Major Leagues. San Diego also receives two pitchers from Toronto: David Wells, a native of Torrance, California, and minor league prospect Woody Williams. The Padres also traded veteran infielder Randy Ready, a .309 hitter for San Diego in 1987, along with prospects Jim Tatum and Warren Newson.

The Padres begin Spring Training on Monday.

Previous OOTP Dynasties:

Last edited by Hendu Style; 01-09-2019 at 10:10 PM.
Old 01-09-2019, 10:09 PM   #4
Hendu Style
All Star Starter

Gwynn Signs Extension

Gwynn Signs Record Extension
8-year deal will pay All-Star almost $3 million per season

YUMA, Ariz. -- In an extension that will make him the highest paid player in Major League Baseball, Tony Gwynn has signed an eight-year contract that will pay him $2,989,000 annually, the San Diego Padres announced on Wednesday.

"I'm excited to have this all behind us," Gwynn told reporters before San Diego's Spring Training game. "I want to be a Padre for life."

Gwynn was set to become eligible for free agency after the upcoming 1988 season. The four-time All-Star outfielder hit a career-high .370 in 1987, collecting a career-best 218 base hits. The 27 year-old is a lifelong Southern Californian. He was born in Poway and attended Long Beach Polytechnic. He was a third round pick by the Padres in the 1981 Draft out of San Diego State.

"Tony is 'Mr. Padre' as far as I'm concerned," San Diego General Manager Jack McKeon told reporters. "I can't imagine him ever playing for another team, and now hopefully I won't have to."

Gwynn is a two-time NL batting champion and will anchor a San Diego batting order that includes up-and-comers Fred McGriff, John Kruk, and Bip Roberts, along with rookies Roberto Alomar and Sandy Alomar Jr., who are both battling for spots on San Diego's Opening Day roster.

Previous OOTP Dynasties:
Old 01-09-2019, 10:48 PM   #5
Hendu Style
All Star Starter

Alomar Suspended

Alomar Suspended 3 Games to Start '88 Season
Rookie second baseman punished for pushing umpire during Spring Training

SAN DIEGO, Calif. -- Roberto Alomar's highly anticipated big league debut will have to wait. The second baseman was suspended by Major League Baseball after pushing an umpire during a Spring Training game.

"It's unfortunate, but Robbie will learn from this," Padres manager Larry Bowa told reporters after Thursday's 10-2 loss to the San Francisco Giants. "Lord knows I've had my problems with umpires, but you draw the line at pushing the ump. You just can't do it."

Alomar hit .282 during Cactus League play, earning a spot on the Padres Opening Day roster alongside his big brother, Sandy Alomar Jr.

"Robbie is a competitive guy," Alomar Jr. told the Associated Press. "I think what they did to him is a little much. But it won't happen again."

The Padres open the 1988 season Tuesday in the Astrodome against the Houston Astros.

Previous OOTP Dynasties:
Old 01-09-2019, 10:59 PM   #6
Hendu Style
All Star Starter

Lift-Off in Houston: Alomar Jr's First Homer Lifts Friars to 4-2 Win
Rookie catcher collects first MLB hit with 2-run homer vs. Danny Darwin

HOUSTON, Tex. -- It only took Sandy Alomar Jr. his second MLB game to hit his first home run. Alomar's 2-run homer in the second inning also happened to be his first big league hit, helping lift the San Diego Padres (1-1) to a 4-2 win against the Astros (1-1) on Wednesday.

"I just try to see the ball and put a good swing on it," Alomar Jr. said after the game in Houston.

Alomar Jr's brother, Roberto, continues to serve a 3-game suspension and will join the Padres for their series at Candlestick Park in San Francisco starting on Friday.

Previous OOTP Dynasties:
Old 01-09-2019, 11:09 PM   #7
Hendu Style
All Star Starter

Roberto Alomar Makes MLB Debut

Sandy Overshadows Roberto in Little Brother's MLB Debut
Alomar Jr. delivers 3 hits, including game-winner in 11th vs. Giants

SAN FRANCISCO, Calif. -- The Alomar Brothers lit up Candlestick Park in their first game together as Major Leaguers, helping lead the Padres (3-1) to an extra inning win against the Giants (1-3) on Friday. Sandy Alomar Jr. led the way, lacing his third hit of the night for an RBI single in the top of the 11th inning, giving San Diego a 4-2 lead that it would not relinquish.

"I'm happy that we won more than anything," Alomar Jr. said after the game from the visiting clubhouse at Candlestick Park.

Alomar Jr's performance overshadowed the MLB debut of his younger brother, Roberto, who had finished serving a 3-game suspension for his role in an altercation with an umpire during Spring Training. Alomar singled in his first plate appearance in the top of the first inning and finished 1-for-5.

"Happy I got a hit," Alomar said from his locker room stall next to Alomar Jr's. "Happier we got a win."

Previous OOTP Dynasties:
Old 01-09-2019, 11:24 PM   #8
Hendu Style
All Star Starter

Alomar Jr. Named Rookie of Month for April

Alomar Jr. Named April's Top Rookie
Padre catcher hit .306 in first month in Majors

SAN DIEGO, Calif. -- The Padres appear to be well on their way to having a second straight NL Rookie of the Year, if April is any indication of things to come in 1988. Sandy Alomar Jr. was named the NL Rookie of the Month after hitting .306 with 2 homers and 7 RBI during his first month as a Major League catcher.

"It was a good month for me," Alomar Jr. told reporters before Sunday's game against the Pittsburgh Pirates. "A big jump from Double-A to Majors, but I think I'm doing okay."

The Padres currently sit in fourth place in the National League West, at 11-13 on the season. Alomar Jr's brother, Roberto, completed his first month as a Major Leaguer with a .193 average, but with 8 RBI, second-most on the team.

Previous OOTP Dynasties:
Old 01-10-2019, 12:08 AM   #9
Hendu Style
All Star Starter

Padres Land Carter, Deshaies, Caminiti Final Trade of 1988

Carter, Deshaies Headed to Padres in Cleveland Swap
San Diego trades Carmelo Martinez, Jimmy Jones to Indians in 7-player deal

SAN DIEGO, Calif. -- Trader Jack is at it again. Padres General Manager Jack McKeon traded outfielder Carmelo Martinez, pitcher Jimmy Jones, and two prospects to the Cleveland Indians for outfielder Joe Carter, pitcher Jim Deshaies, and third baseman Ken Caminiti on Friday.

"This is just what we need to jump start our offense," McKeon said of the trade. "Joe is as big a power hitter as you're going to find. He's a free agent after this season, but I'm hopeful we can get him to stay for the long term."

Carter hit a career-high 32 home runs for the Indians last season, and has 8 homers in 44 games so far this season. He is eligible for free agency after the season, but the Padres are said to already be in negotiations with Carter about an extension.

"I'm looking forward to seeing some sunshine on the West Coast," Carter told reporters at Comiskey Park, following Cleveland's 4-1 loss to the White Sox. "I loved my time in Cleveland and I'll cherish my time with this team, but I'm excited for the next chapter."

Deshaies has struggled for the Indians since a preseason trade that sent him from Houston to Cleveland. He went just 4-5 with a 4.24 ERA in 10 starts this season, after totaling 23 wins over the previous two seasons for the Astros.

Caminiti, a third baseman, was a kicker in the trade. He was claimed off of waivers last month by Cleveland from Houston, and has no remaining minor league options. The Padres must keep Caminiti on their 25-man roster or risk losing him to waivers.

"I grew up watching the Padres," the Hanford, California native Caminiti told reporters. "This is a dream come true."

In return, the Indians receive Jones, who is having an All-Star caliber season. Through ten starts, the right-hander is 5-1 with a 2.04 ERA. Carter, Deshaies, and Caminiti are expected to join the Padres in New York for their three-game series at Shea Stadium with the Mets. San Diego is currently 25-23, sitting 11.5 games behind the first-place Dodgers in the NL West.

Previous OOTP Dynasties:
Old 01-10-2019, 03:00 AM   #10
Hendu Style
All Star Starter

Hot August for Padres

Alomar, Carter Carry Pads Through Hot August
San Diego goes 17-9 thanks to award-winning month by second baseman, outfielder

SAN DIEGO, Calif. -- Another month, another Rookie of the Month Award for Roberto Alomar. The Padres second baseman was named the National League's top rookie for the month of August on Thursday, marking the second monthly award in a row for Alomar. The 20 year-old batted .339 in August along with 14 stolen bases, on the heels of a .333 month in July.

"I always felt comfortable at the plate," Alomar said upon hearing the news before San Diego's series finale against the Mets. "But now I feel like I'm getting some more breaks, with more hits starting to fall in."

Alomar wasn't the only Padre to be rewarded for a productive August. Teammate Joe Carter was named the NL Batter of the Month on the strength of a .376, 8 HR, 22 RBI August. Carter was a midseason acquisition from Cleveland, and recently signed an eight-year, $8 million extension to keep him in Padre pinstripes through the 1996 season. San Diego first baseman Fred McGriff also inked a long term extension with the Padres this year, signing a 10-year contract that will pay him $9,250,000 over the life of the contract.

"We still have a long way to go to catch those other guys in the division," San Diego General Manager Jack McKeon said of the L.A. Dodgers, owners of the best record in baseball at 86-47. "But we had a great month, and I like where we are right now."

The Padres went 17-9 in August, thanks to the play of Alomar and Carter, and take a 70-62 record into the home stretch of the season. Barring a miraculous comeback, San Diego will be absent from the postseason for a fourth year in a row, last reaching the playoffs in 1984.

Previous OOTP Dynasties:
Old 01-10-2019, 04:17 AM   #11
Hendu Style
All Star Starter

1988 Season Recap

The naysayers had the Padres pegged as a 90-loss team in 1988. They couldn't have been more wrong. Blending a mix of rising rookies and proven stars, San Diego was the surprise team of the National League this past season, going 82-80 to finish fourth in the NL West.

The Alomar Brothers added fresh blood to a rising Padre batting order, with Roberto and Sandy Jr. finishing behind Houston's Craig Biggio for 1988 National League Rookie of the Year honors. Robbie hit .293 with 8 homers, while swiping 49 bases and scoring 81 runs. Sandy hit .284 in his rookie campaign, hitting 8 homers while driving in 54 runs.

The future was bright in San Diego, and the Alomars were leading the way.

Note Roger Clemens and his 30-win season for the Boston Red Sox. "The Rocket" went 30-3 with a 2.18 ERA and 270 strikeouts. And how about both the Dodgers and the A's getting knocked out of the playoffs, both failing to reach the '88 World Series? Guess that Benito Santiago trade worked out just fine for Toronto, eh?

Previous OOTP Dynasties:
Old 01-10-2019, 06:51 AM   #12
Hendu Style
All Star Starter

Rickey Henderson, Kevin Brown Traded to Padres

What a Steal: Rickey Henderson Traded to Padres
Speedster comes to San Diego for Whitson, McCullers

SAN DIEGO, Calif. -- In a move that sent shock waves through Major League Baseball, the San Diego Padres sent pitchers Ed Whitson, Lance McCullers, and three prospects to New York for leadoff extraordinaire Rickey Henderson in a New Year's Day trade with the Yankees.

"Rickey just wants to play baseball," Henderson told the Associated Press by phone. "Rickey don't care if it's in New York or California."

Henderson has led Major League Baseball in stolen bases in eight of the last nine years, including a league-leading 73 steals and 117 runs scored for the Yankees in 1988. He is a seven-time All-Star and will join a San Diego outfield that already boasts former batting champion Tony Gwynn and slugger Joe Carter. The move makes room for prospect Jay Buhner in the Yankee outfield.

Whitson returns to the Big Apple to don the pinstripes once again, after a two-year run with the Yankees in 1985 and 1986. He logged a career-high 248.2 innings for the Padres last season and bolsters a starting rotation that includes a trio of left-handers in Danny Jackson, John Candelaria, and Tommy John. Jackson won a league-best 20 games for the Cincinnati Reds last season and was rewarded with a 7-year, $14.5 million free agent contract with the Yankees this offseason.

The Padres also announced a swap with the Rangers that will send pitchers Andy Benes and Greg Harris to Arlington for starter Kevin Brown. Brown lost 18 games in 28 starts for Texas last season. The two moves ramp up what had been disappointing offseason for the Padres, who had lost closer Mark Davis and shortstop Dickie Thon to free agency, and missed out on signing shortstop Tony Fernandez. The Padres have made only one signing so far, agreeing to a 4-year contract with Larry Anderson, a reliever with only 22 saves in his 10-year MLB career.

Previous OOTP Dynasties:
Old 01-11-2019, 03:38 AM   #13
Hendu Style
All Star Starter

Bip, Crime Dog Named '89 All-Stars

Monday -- July 9th, 1989
SD's Roberts, McGriff Named to NL All-Star Team
Padres sputter into break on 3-game slide

SAN DIEGO, Calif. -- The Padres will have two representatives in the 1989 Major League All-Star Game, with Bip Roberts and Fred McGriff headed to Anaheim for the Midsummer Classic at Angel Stadium. It's the first all-star selection for both players.

"This year has been an adjustment, but it's been worth it," Roberts told reporters during a conference call. "I really worked hard this offseason, and I think it's showed."

Roberts was a late season call-up as an fourth outfielder for San Diego last season, and has supplanted Roberto Alomar at second base this season with the arrival of Rickey Henderson in left field. Alomar has struggled as the team's starting shortstop, hitting just .201 so far this season. Roberts is batting a team-high .328 while stealing 18 bases.

"It's going to be nice to take a break from the grind," McGriff said to reporters. "We're struggling a bit right now as a team, so I think this will be a chance for all of us to clear our heads."

McGriff has a team-high 18 home runs and 68 RBI, leading a San Diego lineup that is third in the National League in runs scored with 379. The team's pitching staff has been San Diego's downfall, surrendering 388 runs. The Padres have been short handed in their starting rotation, losing Kevin Brown to a season-ending shoulder injury. San Diego is 10 games behind San Francisco for first place in the NL West, sitting in third place at 44-44. The All-Star Game, which will feature the Designated Hitter for the first time in MLB history, is Tuesday night in Anaheim.

Previous OOTP Dynasties:
Old 01-11-2019, 03:45 AM   #14
Hendu Style
All Star Starter

Alomar Named NL Player of the Week for 1st Time

Monday -- July 24th, 1989

Alomar Named NL Player of the Week
Padres shortstop hit .542 to lift season batting average to .220

Previous OOTP Dynasties:
Old 01-11-2019, 04:13 AM   #15
Hendu Style
All Star Starter

Alomar Jr. Named NL Player of Week

Monday -- September 18th, 1989

Alomar Jr. Earns NL Player of Week Honors
Padres catcher hit .579 to earn weekly award

Previous OOTP Dynasties:
Old 01-11-2019, 05:18 AM   #16
Hendu Style
All Star Starter

1989 Season Recap

Back-to-back winning seasons helped the Padres end the 1980's on an upswing, riding an 86-win campaign into the 1990's.

The addition of Rickey Henderson provided instant offense to a lineup that had been stagnant, leading the Majors with 75 stolen bases while batting .314 and swatting 19 home runs. Gold Glove first baseman Fred McGriff anchored the middle of the order, hitting 30 homers while driving in 116 runs. San Diego boasted the National League's #2 offense in 1989, scoring 741 runs (2nd), batting .260 (2nd), and getting on base at a .329 clip (1st). An electric bullpen (3.23 ERA, 2nd in NL) couldn't hide a middling rotation.

The Alomar Brothers avoided the sophomore jinx during their second go-around in the Majors. Roberto Alomar overcame a sluggish start to the season, batting .260 with 11 homers while making the switch from second base to shortstop. Catcher Sandy Alomar Jr. hit .270 with 14 homers and 72 RBI.

The starting rotation overcame a season-ending injury to Kevin Brown, leaning on veteran Walt Terrell and his 16 wins and 2.98 ERA. Southpaw Jim Deshaies was equally up to task, going 13-12 with a 3.21 ERA. Larry Andersen, the team's new closer, saved 37 games while posting a 3.07 ERA.

All said and done, the San Diego Padres finished in a tie for third place in the NL West at 86-76, behind second place San Francisco and division champion Cincinnati.

Previous OOTP Dynasties:
Old 01-12-2019, 06:08 AM   #17
Hendu Style
All Star Starter

Padres Trade Roberts for Maddux

Monday -- January 1st, 1990

Padres Add Maddux in 10-Player Deal with Cubs
Four pitchers come to San Diego in exchange for Roberts, Deshaies, Rasmussen, and prospects

SAN DIEGO, Calif. -- In an effort to build a stronger starting rotation, the San Diego Padres acquired Cubs pitcher Greg Maddux in a New Year's Day trade that will send Bip Roberts to Chicago.

"I think they're headed in the right direction, and they certainly have an offense over there," Maddux told the Las Vegas Review-Journal from his offseason home in Nevada. "I know they've got (Tony) Gwynn, Rickey (Henderson), and (Fred) McGriff. I'm sure they're looking for some pitchers to go with them, so I guess I fit the bill."

Maddux is coming off a breakout year in 1989, posting a career-best 2.73 ERA while logging 257 innings in 36 starts. He is 36-40 with a 3.87 ERA in his four-year Major League career.

"Maddux is going to be one of the best in baseball, no doubt about it," Padres General Manager Jack McKeon told reporters in a conference call. "It took a ton to get him, but it will be worth worth it."

The Padres, who were criticized for giving up young prospect Andy Benes for Texas Rangers pitcher Kevin Brown last season, had to surrender All-Star second baseman Bip Roberts, along with starting pitchers Jim Deshaies and Dennis Rasmussen and two prospects -- shortstop Jose Valentin and third baseman Dave Hollins -- to get Maddux. The Padres also receive pitchers Bob Tewksbury and Calvin Schiraldi, along with two minor leaguers -- center fielder Darrin Jackson and relief pitcher Heathcliff Slocumb.

Roberts hit .306, scored 96 runs, and stole 37 bases in 157 games for the Padres last season, his first as an All-Star. His departure allows Roberto Alomar to return to second base, though it's not yet known who will be San Diego's starting shortstop in 1990. Top prospect Carlos Baerga could compete for the role in Spring Training, or Joey Cora could win the job.

"I'm not the least bit worried about our offense, even with Bip gone," McKeon said. "We needed an ace, and we got one. You can pencil in 20 wins for Maddux next season. I guarantee it."

The Padres lose last year's ace of their staff in Deshaies, who went 13-12 with a 3.21 ERA while striking out 169 batters in 243.2 innings. He is eligible for free agency after the 1990 season. Rasmussen was claimed off of waivers from Cincinnati during the 1989 campaign, winning five of his eleven starts for San Diego, with a 3.95 ERA. Hollins did not have a clear path to the Majors with Ken Caminiti holding down third base for the Padres. Hollins hit .301 with 17 homers and 111 RBI in 139 games in Triple-A Las Vegas in 1989. He could immediately compete for a spot on the Cubs Opening Day roster.

San Diego is also reportedly close to a deal with free agent and former Padre Craig Lefferts, who saved a career-high 38 games for San Francisco last season.

Previous OOTP Dynasties:

Last edited by Hendu Style; 01-12-2019 at 06:34 AM.
Old 01-12-2019, 06:28 PM   #18
Hendu Style
All Star Starter

1990 All-Stars: Baerga, Maddux, Henderson, Alomar Jr., Andersen

Monday -- July 9th, 1990

Batting Leader Baerga Heads List of Five Padre All-Stars
Henderson, Maddux, Alomar Jr., Andersen join rookie on National League squad

SAN DIEGO, Calif. -- Carlos Baerga surprised many in San Diego by taking the starting job at second base coming out of Spring Training and by stringing together a 24-game hitting streak. But Sunday's All-Star selection came as no surprise to the Padres rookie or his teammates.

"He's been unbelievable for us," outfielder Joe Carter told reporters after San Diego's final game before the All-Star Break. "Carlos may be a rookie, but he doesn't act like one. He deserves it."

Baerga leads the National League with a .355 batting average, and is one of five All-Stars for San Diego. Battery mates Greg Maddux and Sandy Alomar Jr. are also first-time All-Stars this year. Rickey Henderson garnered his eighth career All-Star selection, while closer Larry Andersen earned his second All-Star nod.

"To have five All-Stars is something else," manager Larry Bowa told reporters. "It makes you wonder why we're not in first place."

The Padres enter the break with a record of 47-41 in fourth place, twelve games behind the NL West-leading Cincinnati Reds (58-28). The All-Star Game is Tuesday at Wrigley Field.

Previous OOTP Dynasties:
Old 01-12-2019, 06:52 PM   #19
Hendu Style
All Star Starter

Gwynn Hits for Cycle

Saturday -- August 18th, 1990

Gwynn Hits for Cycle in Padres 18-8 Win
"Mr. Padre" goes 4-for-4 with single, double, triple, homer vs. Phils

SAN DIEGO, Calif. -- Tony Gwynn may not be content to see teammate Carlos Baerga win the NL batting crown. He may want to win it himself. Gwynn hit for the cycle -- a single, double, triple, and a home run -- as the Padres (64-59) beat the Phillies (48-74) Saturday afternoon at Jack Murphy Stadium, 18-8.

"Tony's 'Mr. Padre' as far as I'm concerned," San Diego reliever Chuck McElroy told reporters after the game. "Nobody means more to this team than Tony Gwynn. We love having him as a teammate."

Gwynn's four hits lifted his season batting average to .340, third in the National League behind Atlanta's David Justice (.342) and teammate Carlos Baera (.349).

"Come and get it, I say," Baerga said. "I'm not going to give it to him, but it would be great if a Padre won the batting title."

San Diego's win is its third in a row, but the Padres remain 20 games behind the Cincinnati Reds (83-38), who are running away with the National League West title.

Previous OOTP Dynasties:

Last edited by Hendu Style; 01-13-2019 at 01:10 AM.
Old 01-13-2019, 02:49 AM   #20
Hendu Style
All Star Starter

McKeon Fires Bowa, Takes Over as Padres Manager

Thursday -- November 8th, 1990

Trader Jack Hires New Manager: Himself
GM McKeon takes over as new skipper after losing season for Padres

SAN DIEGO, Calif. -- "Trader Jack" could have a new moniker in San Diego: "Traitor Jack." General Manager Jack McKeon named himself as the Padres' new manager after parting ways with skipper Larry Boa on Wednesday. McKeon will hold both roles for San Diego, retaining his power as GM of the ball club.

"I legitimately believe we had a roster this year that should've contended for a division title," McKeon told reporters at a press conference at Jack Murphy Stadium. "I'm going to prove myself right, or I'll fire myself."

The Padres were a disappointing 80-82 this season, finishing 27 games behind the first-place Cincinnati Reds (107-55) in the National League West. McKeon and Bowa repeatedly butted heads over lineup decisions, with San Diego employing a offense-heavy lineup with little to no regard for defense. The team ranked last in the NL in defense during the 1990 season, while scoring the second-most runs in the league.

"I can tell you right now Roberto Alomar is not going to be our shortstop next season," McKeon told the Associated Press about what kind of changes the team could expect for 1991. "Robbie was put in a tough spot last year, and I promise you that won't happen again."

Alomar committed a league-worst 43 errors last season, while ceding the second base role to Rookie of the Year Carlos Baerga, who hit .324 in his first season in the Majors. It is expected that Alomar will shift back to second, and Baerga will play third base. The team still lacks a true shortstop.

Another position that could change is center field. Joe Carter had a fielding percentage of .976 at that position in 1990, and could lose playing time to Steve Finley, who hit .273 in 51 games as a rookie this past season.

"Our defense is going to look real different, boy," McKeon said. "Whether that's with the same guys we had this year, or some moves I make this offseason, I don't know. But that ain't happening again."

Previous OOTP Dynasties: