Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 19 > OOTP 19 - Historical Simulations

OOTP 19 - Historical Simulations Discuss historical simulations and their results in this forum.

Old 03-24-2018, 04:30 PM   #1
Jeff1787
Hall Of Famer

Adjust Hitters with Fewer than X At-Bats

Here is the set-up:

Historical Random Debut
Real stats
3 yr recalc
No double weight of current year stats

What is the most logical setting for adjusting (AB's and IP's) for hitters and pitchers? I know this must be decided right at the time of the Historical Wizard set-up. I don't think it can be changed later.

I don't want mediocre players leading the league in batting categories or pitching categories!!
Jeff1787 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2018, 07:03 PM   #2
Reed
All Star Starter

Lately I’ve been using 200/100 and 40/20. I understand how you don’t want someone with limited ABs or IP leading you league but the higher you make this setting means more players are going to perform poorly so to come up tp the league totals for hits or strikeouts, etc. the players above this setting will have to perform better which increases the chances of someone having a rediculous performance, like batting .450 or higher.
I think the default for batters 3 years ago was 200/50 and is now 300/50 but I actually like the old default.
Reed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2018, 07:12 PM   #3
actionjackson
Hall Of Famer

I use 200/50 and 40/10. I have no earthly idea how this affects things in my game. Experiment with test leagues with varying settings to find out what works best for you.
actionjackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2018, 09:37 PM   #4
Jeff1787
Hall Of Famer

Am I correct in thinking that once you make your choices they can't be changed?

Last edited by Jeff1787; 03-24-2018 at 09:48 PM.
Old 03-24-2018, 11:03 PM   #5
actionjackson
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff1787 View Post
Am I correct in thinking that once you make your choices they can't be changed?
I believe it's only available at setup like you said, and of course whenever you import a player.
Old 03-24-2018, 11:07 PM   #6
Jeff1787
Hall Of Famer

Using 300/100/40/10, I am still getting some mediocre players among league leaders. I wonder if there is another setting that I need to tweak?

It doesn't seem like the batting adjustment is working correctly. If a guy has 299 AB's then he should get adjusted to the league average, I think. He should not be hitting 100 points above his real stats or pounding out 20 more HR's then normal.

Last edited by Jeff1787; 03-24-2018 at 11:34 PM.
Old 03-25-2018, 11:15 AM   #7
DawnBTVS
Major Leagues

I tend to err on the side of caution and skew lower than most. A large reason I do this is to try and help adjust for any injury marred years or rookies with small sample size early call-up years.

ABs: 175/75. Mark McGwire's an example here with 84, 135, and 317 AB from 1993-1995 in key playing years. Sammy Sosa's another with 183, 316, 262 from 1989-1992.

Hitters go with about 44 Starts (4 AB per Game) or 19-20 Starts for the 'Weaken' aspect.

IP: 22/10. This is tough due to the quadruple aspect for SP and ties in more with injuries than anything else. SP still get an equivalent of 12-14 Starts with 4-6 Starts for the 'Weaken' aspect.

My Ideals would be 275/150 and 45/30 but that's produced some wonky ratings as far as a lot of poorly rated players who didn't reach those limits or mediocre players being a little underrated (IMO) as a result.
DawnBTVS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2018, 11:47 AM   #8
Jeff1787
Hall Of Famer

What has me puzzled now is that it seems the game adjustment system is not working.

I had a guy that should have been adjusted and he hit around .350 and should have hit .280. Another had 25 HR and had a career high of 11.

Maybe, if a guy gets too many AB's in the game (above adjustment level) then the adjustment factor doesn't kick in? I think it is a bug. I am going to put it in the bug forum.
Old 03-25-2018, 02:14 PM   #9
actionjackson
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
What has me puzzled now is that it seems the game adjustment system is not working.

I had a guy that should have been adjusted and he hit around .350 and should have hit .280. Another had 25 HR and had a career high of 11.

Maybe, if a guy gets too many AB's in the game (above adjustment level) then the adjustment factor doesn't kick in? I think it is a bug. I am going to put it in the bug forum.
If you're playing random debut strange things are gonna happen. That's part of the reason I make all of the adjustments I make as far as stats output, injuries, fatigue and others that I can't remember right now because I'm sick as a dog. Did you use these players in a high offense era when they played their career in a low offense era? Because that could do it.
Old 03-25-2018, 02:24 PM   #10
Jeff1787
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by actionjackson View Post
If you're playing random debut strange things are gonna happen. That's part of the reason I make all of the adjustments I make as far as stats output, injuries, fatigue and others that I can't remember right now because I'm sick as a dog. Did you use these players in a high offense era when they played their career in a low offense era? Because that could do it.
Nope, I am using 1946.
Old 03-25-2018, 02:42 PM   #11
actionjackson
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Nope, I am using 1946.
Who are the players and what teams (i.e. home ballparks) did they play on IRL?
Old 03-25-2018, 03:05 PM   #12
Jeff1787
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by actionjackson View Post
Who are the players and what teams (i.e. home ballparks) did they play on IRL?
I just did another re-play with 300/100/40/10 and the stats looked ok, maybe I'm reading more into then I should!
Old 03-25-2018, 03:21 PM   #13
Jeff1787
Hall Of Famer

In the game a 32 year old Don Zimmer had 21 HR, 104 RBI, and hit .262.

IRL, a 32 year old Don Zimmer had 13/44/.288 at DC Stadium; but only had 298 AB's.

Last edited by Jeff1787; 03-25-2018 at 03:22 PM.
Old 03-25-2018, 04:19 PM   #14
actionjackson
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
In the game a 32 year old Don Zimmer had 21 HR, 104 RBI, and hit .262.

IRL, a 32 year old Don Zimmer had 13/44/.288 at DC Stadium; but only had 298 AB's.
Unless you're playing 1-year recalc (which is very ill advised for random debut according to Markus), comparing a player's seasons is pure folly. Everything is different from what went on IRL, so comparisons just aren't worth it. You'll drive yourself nuts. More important is trying to keep league-wide numbers in line with what you want, and hopefully a player's career numbers when it's all said and done are close to RL, but they won't necessarily be. That's OK. If you want numbers that match up (even Diamond Mind and Strat can't boast this BTW) you'll need to do straight historicals with historical lineups and transactions, which (I don't know about you, but) are kind of boring to me, but whatever floats your boat. Stop looking for perfection because you ain't gonna find it. Just control the things you can control and enjoy the games.
Old 03-25-2018, 05:14 PM   #15
Jeff1787
Hall Of Famer

Makes sense, I am knocking my head against the wall for no apparent reason!!
Old 03-26-2018, 03:46 PM   #16
JaBurns
All Star Starter

Quote:
Makes sense, I am knocking my head against the wall for no apparent reason!!
Get use to it, I have been that doing since I started HRD. I think it may take me awhile but every step brings me closer to my best way to play. I am now substituting “best” for “perfect” because my OCD will never allow me the perfect way to play. I hope to get close and go with a setup then not look back because someone will be gaining on me.

Last edited by JaBurns; 03-26-2018 at 07:04 PM.
JaBurns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2018, 01:33 PM   #17
clamel
All Star Starter

This adjust "stuff" must surely be the culprit in my tests. Whatever I use I tend to see a lot of cup-of-coffee players end up in starting lineups, or at least in playoff rosters after a season with 30-50 starts.

I normally start sometime in 70s or 80s, sometimes 90s but never in the very old ages around 1900, so I am knowledgeable about the most of the core players.
I use full minors and NO hist. transactions so plenty of the coffee players to go around. I tried Retired Historical, and very low injury (to keep the big boys around) and of course disable development.
I read old threads with Garlons suggestions on how to setup leagues and even some other guy with extra knowledge on League stats.

Many threads are about how the leagues do, and how the big stars are compared to real life, but not much on those lesser known.

Example like Paul Powell (who the heck ?) played 3 years in the majors 20g with Twins, 10 g with Dodgers, 1971-75 and he ended up with over 50 starts in my Dodgers together with Joe Ferguson. He have 2 stars after all. Yes Steve Yeager was traded 1973 to Braves. Probably because the AI thought Powell was just as good to backup Joe.
Of course he is only one example of many in most teams. Thankful that so far no coffee-player has popped up in top league leading stats. That issue happend in test with Development On and no Retire historical. Guess then those players had every shot of develop into stars.

Perhaps even more strange is the fact of bullpen structure. This has been an issue over the years that the AI doesn't care any of right/left relievers. In Dodgers I had 6 lefties and 1 right-handed. Can any name a team IRL that had this IRL?

I always use 3-y recalc. Double weight on,
Very happy to see the older problem with Mark Belanger is gone. He now do get his Glove Gloves and isn't dropped by Orioles. He is actually top in stats like Def Efficience, Zone Rating and even Assists.

The struggles in getting this to work inside a certain structure is hard, but then guess no-one wants to gets even 80% close to real life.
I find retire historical to be a little hard since some players do get career-ending injuries even with injury set at very-low. To take away injury totally isn't an option. The DL should be a part of the game.

Perhaps the only way to get this 70-80% is to not use minors, use historical trans and lineups and retire historical BUT No, a little extra changeable happening should be present to spice up the game.

Do wish someone came up with the "perfect" setup with the new great stuff of having Full Minors, Perhaps it's the rating ? Should one mess with that in combo with everything else ?
clamel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2018, 08:25 AM   #18
italyprof
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnBTVS View Post
I tend to err on the side of caution and skew lower than most. A large reason I do this is to try and help adjust for any injury marred years or rookies with small sample size early call-up years.

ABs: 175/75. Mark McGwire's an example here with 84, 135, and 317 AB from 1993-1995 in key playing years. Sammy Sosa's another with 183, 316, 262 from 1989-1992.

Hitters go with about 44 Starts (4 AB per Game) or 19-20 Starts for the 'Weaken' aspect.

IP: 22/10. This is tough due to the quadruple aspect for SP and ties in more with injuries than anything else. SP still get an equivalent of 12-14 Starts with 4-6 Starts for the 'Weaken' aspect.

My Ideals would be 275/150 and 45/30 but that's produced some wonky ratings as far as a lot of poorly rated players who didn't reach those limits or mediocre players being a little underrated (IMO) as a result.
Thank you. That is a very clear explanation with good examples. I do have a question for everyone here: If I understand correctly, if we use 3-year recalc with real stats, then weakening at say 90 AB means at 30 AB per year, that is at 90 AB over a 3-year period, and the same with IP. Is that right? Same with 5-year, the adjustment and weakening refers to total AB and IP over the recalc period. Not over one year. Correct? Because some of all of our questioning about results may be due to that difference, expecting that we are weakening based on one year, when it is only over 3 or 5 years that it counts the totals and takes effect.
italyprof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2018, 12:00 PM   #19
Reed
All Star Starter

Italy,
I believe you are correct about the adjust/weaken being for the entire recalc period and not just the current year. I have never seen that officially stated so take that with a grain of salt.
Also another misconception I had (at least I think it was a misconception) is I thought if a hitter had 1 AB under your adjust/weaken hitter setting, I thought he would automatically become league average. I now believe it is a sliding scale so that a player with one AB under the adjust setting will slightly be adjusted but a player 100 AB(or some number that only powers to be know) under the setting will be fully adjusted to league average. (Hope that makes sense and that is just speculation on my part).
Reed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2018, 01:16 PM   #20
actionjackson
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by italyprof View Post
Thank you. That is a very clear explanation with good examples. I do have a question for everyone here: If I understand correctly, if we use 3-year recalc with real stats, then weakening at say 90 AB means at 30 AB per year, that is at 90 AB over a 3-year period, and the same with IP. Is that right? Same with 5-year, the adjustment and weakening refers to total AB and IP over the recalc period. Not over one year. Correct? Because some of all of our questioning about results may be due to that difference, expecting that we are weakening based on one year, when it is only over 3 or 5 years that it counts the totals and takes effect.
Please see this thread. Mr. Garlon makes quite a few appearances, and talks a little about his rationale for setting up the weaken/adjust settings the way he does.