Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Franchise Hockey Manager 4 > FHM 4 - Suggestions

FHM 4 - Suggestions Do you have suggestions / ideas for future FHM version? Please tell us about it here.

Old 11-26-2016, 10:21 AM   #1
redtiger7
All Star Starter

Historical Custom

Right now we can create a custom league with real players, but only from 2016. I'd love to be able to tap into the historical data base and start a league using players from a previous year, and then have the prospects be taken from teh following years. Basicly, a historical game, but one where I can control the number of teams/ expansion, etc...
redtiger7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2016, 09:36 AM   #2
rfniagara
Bat Boy

I agree wholeheartedly - this is a must-have if a game is going to offer a historical mode. As it is, the historical mode in FHM3 is not historically accurate. Enabling full customization would allow for knowledgable historians to correct the many oversights.
rfniagara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2016, 03:18 PM   #3
Leafs67
Minors (Triple A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rfniagara View Post
I agree wholeheartedly - this is a must-have if a game is going to offer a historical mode. As it is, the historical mode in FHM3 is not historically accurate. Enabling full customization would allow for knowledgable historians to correct the many oversights.
As it is right now, you can enable commissioner mode and use it to edit just about anything that you feel is inaccurate (player ratings, staff names, player jersey numbers, team colours, etc).

I think what redtiger is talking about is something different, which is creating a custom league (ie. with new teams, new structure, etc) but using real, historical players instead of fictional, game generated players.
Leafs67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2016, 09:54 PM   #4
rfniagara
Bat Boy

I'm talking about exactly the same thing. I have a myriad of suggestions for this mode and if you would like to take this offline, my email address is rfniagara@gmail.com.
I'm not a neophyte to sports gaming, have been an active player of hockey, baseball and basketball sims (board and computer) since the early 1960s. I have worked as a game developer and did the player ratings for EA Sports's hockey series for several years. I also worked with Marcus briefly during the ill-fated .400 Software Studios experience.
Drop me a line if you'd like to talk...
Old 12-10-2016, 12:59 PM   #5
Leafs67
Minors (Triple A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rfniagara View Post
I'm talking about exactly the same thing. I have a myriad of suggestions for this mode and if you would like to take this offline, my email address is rfniagara@gmail.com.
I'm not a neophyte to sports gaming, have been an active player of hockey, baseball and basketball sims (board and computer) since the early 1960s. I have worked as a game developer and did the player ratings for EA Sports's hockey series for several years. I also worked with Marcus briefly during the ill-fated .400 Software Studios experience.
Drop me a line if you'd like to talk...
My bad. It just didn't really seem to me like creating a fake, fictional league using real historical players had anything to do with recreating real, historical NHL seasons -- unless you mean you'd like to start from scratch and create your own version of the NHL, instead of merely adjusting the current framework...sorry for the misunderstanding, and it wasn't my intention to imply you were a greenhorn.
Leafs67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2016, 10:36 AM   #6
redtiger7
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leafs67 View Post
-- unless you mean you'd like to start from scratch and create your own version of the NHL, instead of merely adjusting the current framework...
This. Imagine if the NHL didn't stay at 6 teams in the 50's/60's and did bring in Cleveland, Pittsburg and St. Louis when asked. Imagine if the Oakland Seals were sucessful. If the Kansas City Scouts didn't move to Colorado. If Madison Square garden didn't form a team to compete with the Americans for the arena. So many possibilities....
Old 12-11-2016, 04:04 PM   #7
rfniagara
Bat Boy

Thanks for the reply, and I didn't mean to give you the impression that I was offended at all - I just wanted you to know I have a wealth of experience in sports simulations.

It's nice to replay history exactly, (which isn't quite possible yet in FHM) but many folks, as in the post following the one I'm replying to here, like to try "what-if" scenarios. Being able to run a 6-team league beyond 1967, ignoring the WHA, adding Philadelphia in 1946 (only an arena issue scuttled that one) or Cleveland in 1954 would be interesting projects based on historical reality.
One suggestion that would make things easier for the historical player is to start each new season on July 1 so that league settings can be adjusted. In the league I wanted to start, in 1966 it was not unusual for teams to have 75, even 90 players under contract. I was unable to start my league because Toronto had something like 85 players under contract (which was almost exactly right) but the league (which can't be edited until the following July) allows only 50 contracts. Result - I started my league all over again in 1965 - simmed a year not running any team. Then in July of 1966 I edited the league to allow 99 contracts and signed all the free agents I released the year before. Problem I now have is, I can't move players to their proper teams that were not traded in the sim of the 65-66 season. I've asked about that in the Tech Help area.
Old 02-02-2017, 11:56 AM   #8
redtiger7
All Star Starter

Or what about starting a historical game, but having a check box to allow the user to control expansion instead of the computer following the real life timeline