Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 17 > OOTP 17 - General Discussions

OOTP 17 - General Discussions Everything about the latest Out of the Park Baseball - officially licensed by MLB.com and the MLBPA.

Old 04-19-2016, 06:48 PM   #1
David Watts
Hall Of Famer

1920 Texas League---Home runs.

Take a look at the team home runs. Name:  see_what_we_can_do_1920-09-02_17-43-46.jpg
Views: 385
Size:  217.4 KB
David Watts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2016, 07:02 PM   #2
Hammercraft
All Star Reserve

Fair amount of dingers, but not far fetched
Hammercraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2016, 07:14 PM   #3
David Watts
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammercraft View Post
Fair amount of dingers, but not far fetched
This is historical and it's 1920. I think the leader that year hit 12. This league has 3 guys with 30+.
Old 04-19-2016, 07:18 PM   #4
Spritze
OOTP Historical Czar

Just ran this 3 times got 383, 347, 341
Started all 3 tests in 1919. 1919 numbers were similar in my 3 tests as well.
Old 04-19-2016, 07:30 PM   #5
David Watts
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spritze View Post
This league started in 1920. Interested in seeing what 1921 brings, but I play them out, so it will take a while. Major league numbers 513 total home runs with roughly 20 games left to play. 630 hit in real life that year.

Or are you saying it's required that we start our league in 1919?

Last edited by David Watts; 04-19-2016 at 07:49 PM.
Old 04-20-2016, 07:57 AM   #6
David Watts
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Question. When I look at the number of home runs in the modifier area of the Texas league, the actual total is 228/288(at work so can't be exact), so I have no idea why my Texas League is hitting home runs at a modern day level. This league is a straight out of the box OOTP setup. I didn't change anything. One thing I'm wondering though is when you look at the Texas League modifiers, the box for adjust league totals modifiers for accuracy is unchecked. This box is checked at the Major League level. Could this be why my 1920 Texas League hit 700+ home runs? Would really like to get this in check before I start the 1921 season. Thanks.

Last edited by David Watts; 04-20-2016 at 09:00 AM.
Old 04-20-2016, 11:23 AM   #7
David Watts
Hall Of Famer

Bump
Old 04-20-2016, 11:38 AM   #8
Spritze
OOTP Historical Czar

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Watts View Post
Bump
I used straight out of the box too.
Old 04-20-2016, 11:43 AM   #9
Padreman
Hall Of Famer

Location: Tijuana, Baja California, Mexico (formally San Diego, CA.)
Well I notice that for some reason this version at least for me and maybe someone of you guys too but the modifiers are a bit off. I went from having lots of stolen baseses and at least having 4-7 guys hit 40 home runs in version 16 to my league in Stolen bases going from 77 in version 16 to 32 in version 17 and having now only 3-4 guys barely get to 30 home runs

Chargers= Despicable Traitors
Padreman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2016, 11:51 AM   #10
David Watts
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I used straight out of the box too.
Question answered in bugs forum.

Last edited by David Watts; 04-20-2016 at 12:03 PM.
Old 04-20-2016, 12:41 PM   #11
swampdragon
Hall Of Famer

If you're not careful with the rosters, a bunch of PCL hitters will find their way on to those Texas League rosters in 1919 and 1920, because they don't have the PCL to play in, they're better than the Texas League players, and their power numbers are rated from 1921. Check your rosters. Who are your leading HR hitters? If you want the real Texas League, you need to play as commissioner and bar AI roster changes. I forgot to do that on my first 1919 game creation, simmed to Opening Day, and opened my rosters to find that dozens of free agents had been signed who played in the PCL in 1921 or were ex-major leaguers who were actually in higher minor leagues in 1919. Because it's your only minor league, you have to protect its players from that kind of competition.
“Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies." -- C.S. Lewis

Last edited by swampdragon; 04-20-2016 at 12:47 PM.
swampdragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2016, 12:59 PM   #12
David Watts
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by swampdragon View Post
If you're not careful with the rosters, a bunch of PCL hitters will find their way on to those Texas League rosters in 1919 and 1920, because they don't have the PCL to play in, they're better than the Texas League players, and their power numbers are rated from 1921. Check your rosters. Who are your leading HR hitters? If you want the real Texas League, you need to play as commissioner and bar AI roster changes. I forgot to do that on my first 1919 game creation, simmed to Opening Day, and opened my rosters to find that dozens of free agents had been signed who played in the PCL in 1921 or were ex-major leaguers who were actually in higher minor leagues in 1919. Because it's your only minor league, you have to protect its players from that kind of competition.
I'm mainly concerned with statistical results being in the realm of reality. It's odd when you see Babe Ruth leading the bigs with 30+ bombs, the next closest guy is Hornsby with 16. Then you look at the Texas League and you have 3 guys with 30+, several with 20+ and a few more with 15+. As you can see in my screenshot, the league hit 720 bombs. 90 home runs per team average. Above Spritze said he ran 1919 3 times and seeing nothing out of the ordinary. Of course, my league started in 1920, so 1919 numbers mean very little to me, unless the moral of the story is that we are required to start our league in 1919 to get realistic results.

Last edited by David Watts; 04-20-2016 at 01:02 PM.
Old 04-20-2016, 01:20 PM   #13
swampdragon
Hall Of Famer

Well, the same thing applies to 1920. It's still the only minor league and therefore subject to being overrun by all of the players who were really playing in the higher minors.
“Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies." -- C.S. Lewis
Old 04-20-2016, 01:30 PM   #14
Spritze
OOTP Historical Czar

Starting in 1920 = 667 in test.
Old 04-20-2016, 01:32 PM   #15
Spritze
OOTP Historical Czar

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Watts View Post
the moral of the story is that we are required to start our league in 1919 to get realistic results.
This seems to be true.
Old 04-20-2016, 01:32 PM   #16
swampdragon
Hall Of Famer

Who is on that Galveston team? They should be a mediocre independent team, not leading the league in runs scored. Fort Worth and Houston should have the powerhouse offenses. How did Big Boy Kraft do? He should be playing on the Panthers and is supposed to be the league's premier power hitter.
Old 04-20-2016, 01:41 PM   #17
David Watts
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Well, the same thing applies to 1920. It's still the only minor league and therefore subject to being overrun by all of the players who were really playing in the higher minors.
I agree. But, that does little to explain why I have guys/teams hitting home runs at the rate displayed in my screen shot. Some of those higher minors guys would be pitchers too. I don't think this is a matter of too much hitting talent finding its way into the Texas League. Something is just off. The Texas League is going to out homer my Major League by 100+ home runs. The Texas League only has 8 teams compared to 16 and the Texas League plays a shorter schedule.

Last edited by David Watts; 04-20-2016 at 01:43 PM.
Old 04-20-2016, 01:43 PM   #18
David Watts
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Who is on that Galveston team? They should be a mediocre independent team, not leading the league in runs scored. Fort Worth and Houston should have the powerhouse offenses. How did Big Boy Kraft do? He should be playing on the Panthers and is supposed to be the league's premier power hitter.
At work right now, so I can't check. I think the HR leader is some guy named Powell, but will check later when I get home.
Old 04-20-2016, 01:56 PM   #19
swampdragon
Hall Of Famer

My explanation would be that some of these hitters are being rated for the power they showed in 1921, which is the start of the lively ball era nationwide. Fort Worth's Kraft, as just one example, went from 6 homers in 1920 to 33 in 1921. If players have no ratings prior to 1921, those numbers will be the basis of the rating used in 1920. The PCL in OOTP starts in 1921, but many of its 1921 players will be free agents in the 1920 database. If they're rated from the lively ball era (the game has nothing else to go on), then they will import as outstanding power hitters relative to dead ball 1920. Because they're importing as free agents, the game doesn't adjust them to the 1920 Texas League.

There's an easy way to check this. Galveston's power hitter in 1920 is Dave Callahan with 11. If he has 30 or 35 homeruns, my theory isn't valid. If strangers to the league are putting up those numbers and all of the real Texas Leaguers are hitting in single digits, that's a data point for the theory.
Old 04-20-2016, 02:01 PM   #20
David Watts
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
My explanation would be that some of these hitters are being rated for the power they showed in 1921, which is the start of the lively ball era nationwide. Fort Worth's Kraft, as just one example, went from 6 homers in 1920 to 33 in 1921. If players have no ratings prior to 1921, those numbers will be the basis of the rating used in 1920. The PCL in OOTP starts in 1921, but many of its 1921 players will be free agents in the 1920 database. If they're rated from the lively ball era (the game has nothing else to go on), then they will import as outstanding power hitters relative to dead ball 1920. Because they're importing as free agents, the game doesn't adjust them to the 1920 Texas League.

There's an easy way to check this. Galveston's power hitter in 1920 is Dave Callahan with 11. If he has 30 or 35 homeruns, my theory isn't valid. If strangers to the league are putting up those numbers and all of the real Texas Leaguers are hitting in single digits, that's a data point for the theory.

I will check this when I get home. Now I'm starting to follow your train of thought. Never claimed to be the sharpest knife in the backpack(ugh). I will screenshot the league leaders page and post it later.