Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Franchise Hockey Manager 2 > FHM 2 - General Discussions
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-10-2015, 12:07 AM   #1
cslaminar
Bat Boy

Signing contracts for Farmteams

I'm in my 6th Season with the Sharks as GM/HC and I encountered the problem that I can't sign any contracts for my Farmteams in the AHL/ECHL. Everytime, I want to sign a new Player it's given as a "NHL Contract" and I can't switch it to AHL or ECHL contract.
So how do I fill the roster of my farmteams? Should I sign all players for the Sharks and demote them to the corresponding farm team / league ? Turning on the AI for signing contracts is not an option as in one of my first seasons the AI did a horrific job in renewing some players contract, resulting in a 32yrs 3rd Line Player at best (3 ability, 3 Potential) with a 5mil contract over 6 years.

Last edited by cslaminar; 11-10-2015 at 12:10 AM.
cslaminar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2015, 07:31 AM   #2
tarashnat
Major Leagues

Most farm teams are populated with the players on an NHL contract to the parent club(s) or a two-way contract. If the NHL team doesn't provide enough players, the farm club will fill the remaining empty spots in the roster with what is left. These players can not be called up, as they are not on an NHL contract.

I think you need to remember to check "Two-Way" when signing young players destined for your farm.

Last edited by tarashnat; 11-10-2015 at 07:36 AM.
tarashnat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2015, 09:34 AM   #3
cslaminar
Bat Boy

Thanks for your quick Answer.
Did I get it right that I always have to sign at least five players for a two-way contract to get my farm team a full player roster (5 + 15 drafts) ? Furthermore I simply can't sign any 16yrs old Players for my minor farm team while the minimum age for a two way NHL contract is 18yrs, so do I really have to depend on the yearly drafts to assure that my teams can play with 4 O-blocks and 3-4 D-blocks?
Pardon me my ignorance as I'm not very familiar with the whole NA league & drafting system. MY only problem is that I can't sign any players for the minor teams without giving them a two-way contract even if I'm the GM of the whole franchise. Any way to circumvent that? Is the AI filling up the missing roster players even if I haven't selected the AI in the manager options?
cslaminar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2015, 11:49 AM   #4
Guzzernaut
Minors (Rookie Ball)

The farm team is merely a place where players can go to get icetime that you're not able to give them in the NHL, or to play against lesser competition so they can grow as a player. It's not your responsibility at all to fill the farm team with players. Like the other poster said, the AI will fill those holes. You should be fine leaving all of the settings for your farm team to AI control. Every rookie you sign will start with an entry level contract, which is a 2 way contract. So you can send those guys down no problem. Generally, unless a player is really, really good, when you sign them to their second contract, you can probably make that a 2 way deal as well (like the other poster said, click the box). It doesn't really hurt your negotiations to at least click that box once and try for a two way deal. If they say they want a higher minor league salary, great, bump it up to $70,000 and sign em. If they say no way, uncheck it and go back to regular negotiations. The one thing you probably do want to do is go into your farm teams staff page and hire some better assistant coaches for them. That could help your players develop better.
Guzzernaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2015, 03:21 PM   #5
tarashnat
Major Leagues

Most AHL & ECHL (collectively, minor league) teams are independent organizations with an affiliate agreement with an NHL club. In the past, when the leagues were smaller than the NHL, some minor league teams had affiliate agreements with two NHL teams.

The agreement allows the NHL club to assign its extra-roster players to a lower level where they can get ice time in the lower league's team. It is not the obligation of the NHL team to totally fill out the roster of the farm team, and the minor league team will sign players to minor league contracts to fill any gaps left by the "big club". Since these players that are directly signed by the minor league club are not contracted to the NHL club, they can not be called up to the NHL team.

NHL draftees often continue playing for their original (junior or European) teams until they sign a contract with the NHL team. There are cases where a player (signed to an NHL team) that doesn't have above a certain amount of NHL experience can be sent to his junior club. The NHL team does not have a direct relationship with the junior team.
tarashnat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2015, 05:08 PM   #6
JeffR
FHM Producer

Just to clarify the two-way contracts a bit: you don't need to sign players to a two-way deal to send them to the minors, it just means they get paid less when they're not on your team.
JeffR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2016, 06:39 AM   #7
rstoomeyii
Minors (Single A)

i have a question and this question seemed like a good one to bump. how come when i sign some draftees to a two way contract i dont have an option to send them to the ahl, the only option is to send them back to the league i just signed them from? for example i just drafted Auston Matthews. I'm going to have him play for me but i wanted him to have a month or two in the AHL. But the only option for sending him down is to send him back to the WHL. Why is that?
rstoomeyii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2016, 08:53 AM   #8
Adam B
Hockey Community Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by rstoomeyii View Post
i have a question and this question seemed like a good one to bump. how come when i sign some draftees to a two way contract i dont have an option to send them to the ahl, the only option is to send them back to the league i just signed them from? for example i just drafted Auston Matthews. I'm going to have him play for me but i wanted him to have a month or two in the AHL. But the only option for sending him down is to send him back to the WHL. Why is that?
Because it completely depends on the player. Typically Canadians and Americans have their rights to teams in the CHL. When this is the case, they must be sent to their corresponding CHL team if you wish to send them down. This has to do with Player Rights and an agreement between the CHL and NHL basically not to rob the CHL of all the talent all the time.

Note: This exists in real life, not just the game.
Adam B is offline   Reply With Quote