Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > iOOTP Baseball > iOOTP - General Discussions
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

iOOTP - General Discussions Talk about iOOTP Baseball, the baseball management simulation for iPhone/iPod/iPad

Old 04-11-2012, 05:42 PM   #41
Sebastian Palkowski
Developer

I looked into the different ballpark pics and it is not as easy as you would think but it is not impossible.
Old 04-12-2012, 07:38 AM   #42
mi77ens
Art Director

"Graphics person" here
There were two main reasons for changing the font.
1: We wanted sth fresh and modern, a font that goes well with the new UI design. The previous font was fine, but getting a bit old.
2: Screen estate and legibility. The old font was using way too much space on the screen and didn't look very elegant.

The new font is Droid Sans. It is a screen font designed especially for displaying lots of information in small font size on small screens. Honestly, I'm pretty happy with it on all devices.
It is a new font, only about 2 years old. Even if it's already quite perfect, this means that there is still some development going on. So maybe there will be improvements with its next version.
mi77ens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 09:58 AM   #43
revcarte
Major Leagues

thanks

I appreciate the information though I must disagree with the assessment that the previous font was getting old. A new font does not enhance the game if it is so crowded that it is difficult to read. I think that a quality product would at least give the user the ability to change the font within the game. I have loved your game and have recommended it to many people but am profoundly disappointed with the change and now can no longer recommend it to others. It is a shame that the new version is not as nice as the original version.
revcarte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 10:28 AM   #44
cody8200
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mi77ens View Post
"Graphics person" here
There were two main reasons for changing the font.
1: We wanted sth fresh and modern, a font that goes well with the new UI design. The previous font was fine, but getting a bit old.
2: Screen estate and legibility. The old font was using way too much space on the screen and didn't look very elegant.

The new font is Droid Sans. It is a screen font designed especially for displaying lots of information in small font size on small screens. Honestly, I'm pretty happy with it on all devices.
It is a new font, only about 2 years old. Even if it's already quite perfect, this means that there is still some development going on. So maybe there will be improvements with its next version.
Makes sense and most people in this thread seem to prefer it. I know I do. That old adage, you can't please everyone applies here.
Old 04-12-2012, 11:06 AM   #45
pstrickert
Hall Of Famer

I'd like to see side-by-side screenshots of both versions (iPhone and iPad).
pstrickert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 12:56 PM   #46
Walsh06
All Star Reserve

This^^ I still cannot see what is wrong and its not that Im being insulting but just coming on constantly saying the same thing wont help things. Putting up a comparison or a screenshot of the new game and pointing out what makes it difficult to read, would help things.
Walsh06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 09:38 PM   #47
hagfors33
Bat Boy

I can give screenshots of both iphone (4) and ipad (2) and both versions of the game...any particular screens?
hagfors33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 09:43 PM   #48
pstrickert
Hall Of Famer

In-game (PbP) and a menu screen. Thanks!
Old 04-12-2012, 10:37 PM   #49
hagfors33
Bat Boy

Here is the iPad gallery:
iOOTP 11/12 iPad Screenshots - Imgur

Here is the iPhone gallery:
iOOTP 11/12 iPhone Screenshots - Imgur

Overall, I enjoy both games equally. But, in terms of the graphics alone, I have to say 11 sits better with my eyes. Bummed out that the whacked-out logo issue from 11 is in 12 as well though.
Old 04-12-2012, 10:47 PM   #50
hagfors33
Bat Boy

The galleries are pending approval from a mod...accidentally submitted it a couple times not thinking it was working haha
Old 04-13-2012, 01:21 AM   #51
pstrickert
Hall Of Famer

I examined the screenshots at a link hagfors33 sent me. (Thanks, hagfors33.) I can understand the decision to use a different font. It helps to fit more text in tight spaces. I don't have a problem with that. But I do think the new font is a liability on the PbP screen. It is more difficult to read. So, I sympathize with revcarte. Reading the PbP is less pleasurable in iOOTP 2012 compared to 2011.
Old 04-13-2012, 05:22 AM   #52
Walsh06
All Star Reserve

Thats odd, I would have said its much clearer in the PBP now with the new text. The rest of the screens all look fairly similar. Well to each their own I guess.
Old 04-13-2012, 05:39 AM   #53
Hellenstone
Minors (Double A)

Does that bluriness on the shown iPhone gallery comes from the screenshot itself or from resizing?
On my iPhone3 everything looks clear and sharp...
Old 04-13-2012, 09:14 AM   #54
pstrickert
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walsh06 View Post
Thats odd, I would have said its much clearer in the PBP now with the new text. The rest of the screens all look fairly similar. Well to each their own I guess.
The new font is readable, yes. But it is definitely more condensed. This, IMO, makes it less pleasurable to read. Again, IMO.
Old 04-13-2012, 11:25 AM   #55
hagfors33
Bat Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grisu_HDH View Post
Does that bluriness on the shown iPhone gallery comes from the screenshot itself or from resizing?
On my iPhone3 everything looks clear and sharp...
It comes from the re-sizing...it's definitely crisp on the phone display
Old 04-13-2012, 09:25 PM   #56
revcarte
Major Leagues

thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by pstrickert View Post
I examined the screenshots at a link hagfors33 sent me. (Thanks, hagfors33.) I can understand the decision to use a different font. It helps to fit more text in tight spaces. I don't have a problem with that. But I do think the new font is a liability on the PbP screen. It is more difficult to read. So, I sympathize with revcarte. Reading the PbP is less pleasurable in iOOTP 2012 compared to 2011.
It is nice that at least one person sympathizes with me. The other people on this forum seem to only care about themselves and anyone who disagrees can go to hell. As long as they are happy that is all that matters. The truth is there was no real reason to change the font. It worked well last year and I also realize that my requests for the game have never mattered to the designers. I have requested the ability to print the box scores since the first month it came out and have requested the ability to play a shortened schedule for a long time also. Apparently only certain people matter on this forum.
Old 04-14-2012, 07:05 AM   #57
Walsh06
All Star Reserve

You do realise no one is against you. I think I am now but thats just because you are whining now and not actually doing something productive. You were asked to better explain the problem, you didnt, you were asked to show screenshots and explain, you didnt. I mean if you are just going to complain how do you expect people to see your problem. So stop whining and get over yourself.
Old 04-14-2012, 07:22 AM   #58
revcarte
Major Leagues

answer

I have explained the problem over and over. I have no idea how to post a screen shot of my phone. Here is the real problem....people on this forum used to be a caring, helpful bunch of people but it has evolved into a group that includes a lot of selfish, self-centered people, as evidenced by many of the comments in this thread. So for me the problem is not just the text that I have trouble reading in the new version but the attitudes of others on this forum that have shown they could care less about anyone who has a different opinion than they have. It is one thing to express a different opinion...it is another to attack the person who has a different opinion. I have enjoyed playing the 2011 version of this game, am struggling to try to play the new version, and am very disappointed in what this forum has apparently evolved into. For those who have been kind and helpful, this is not meant to be directed at you.
Old 04-14-2012, 08:22 AM   #59
Walsh06
All Star Reserve

Ok......... Im not sure where you are pulling that from. If you can post three quotes of people who "attacked" you (besides mine) then fair play. I have only seen people state, just like you, their opinion on the text. If anything you are attacking them for not sharing your opinion. Ironic isnt it.
Old 04-14-2012, 04:58 PM   #60
Raz Algool
Minors (Rookie Ball)

The side by side screenshots that Hagfors posted perfectly show the problem with the logo colors changing from the wide color palate to nothing but shades of brown and blue - a problem that has not been corrected in the new version.

I have been b*tching about this for almost as long as the program has been available but have never gotten a reply as to what the heck causes it. I put a new post about it up a couple of days ago - no reply back from the Guys in Charge. So I have to think that Revcarte's contention that some posters' complaints carry more weight than others is (kinda) valid...

We all paid for the game. You would think all our comments would be considered just as important. I can live with a shade smaller font, but the crappy colors in the team logo - that's a big problem for me. JMHO.

If we can FINALLY get an answer from one of the Guys in Charge - look, if you don't know what's caused it, fine, just SAY SO. The silence bites.
Raz Algool is offline   Reply With Quote