Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Franchise Hockey Manager > FHM - General Discussions
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: What is your favorite game name?
Behind the Bench Hockey Manager 49 32.67%
Top Shelf Hockey Manager 32 21.33%
World Hockey Manager 53 35.33%
International Hockey Manager 16 10.67%
Voters: 150. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 10-28-2011, 07:53 PM   #41
outrider64
Major Leagues

The name of this hockey game does need to be something catchy or something not "boring", in order to grab the audience it to get established.

EA Sports games like NHL and Madden don't have catchy names because the company itself is what draws gamers to buy their titles. NHL 12 or Madden 12 doesn't exactly make one jump from their couch and feel the need to buy the game because of the title, it's because EA Sports the company is the known name.

Being that text based sports are a niche hobby, the word needs to get out that OOTP Developments is in the process of introducing a new hockey game. OOTP 12 and iOOTP are drawing rave reviews from sports related websites.

My suggestion is for one of the OOTP game developers to reach out to the websites admins who have rated the baseball games and ask them if they could announce on their websites that a new hockey game is in the development stages from OOTP and a suggestion for a title from the readers would be welcome.

It could even include a free copy of the game if a person's title is chosen.

This way the naming of the title is not limited to just this forum. Since there were about 100 or so suggestions, I think that could double or even triple by reaching out to people beyond this forum. Thanks.

Last edited by outrider64; 10-28-2011 at 07:59 PM.
Old 10-28-2011, 10:45 PM   #42
erikthered
Minors (Single A)

I actually like the name World Hockey Manager...
Old 10-28-2011, 10:55 PM   #43
erikthered
Minors (Single A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by outrider64 View Post
The name of this hockey game does need to be something catchy or something not "boring", in order to grab the audience it to get established.

EA Sports games like NHL and Madden don't have catchy names because the company itself is what draws gamers to buy their titles. NHL 12 or Madden 12 doesn't exactly make one jump from their couch and feel the need to buy the game because of the title, it's because EA Sports the company is the known name.

Being that text based sports are a niche hobby, the word needs to get out that OOTP Developments is in the process of introducing a new hockey game. OOTP 12 and iOOTP are drawing rave reviews from sports related websites.

My suggestion is for one of the OOTP game developers to reach out to the websites admins who have rated the baseball games and ask them if they could announce on their websites that a new hockey game is in the development stages from OOTP and a suggestion for a title from the readers would be welcome.

It could even include a free copy of the game if a person's title is chosen.

This way the naming of the title is not limited to just this forum. Since there were about 100 or so suggestions, I think that could double or even triple by reaching out to people beyond this forum. Thanks.
I'm not sure I agree. I think it would actually be more important for the game to have real league affiliations than a catchy name. I got into "NHL Eastside Hockey Manager" not because of any flashy naming, but rather because--from the title--I knew that when I spent my money, I was getting a game already full of official logos, rosters, league format, etc. In fact, I came across the 05 version while desperately searching for any NHL game for Mac. Of course, once I spent the cash, I was hooked.

That's not to say that I wouldn't buy this game if it didn't have official licensing. I certainly would, but I'm already familiar with the sports simulation genre through EHM and, subsequently, FM. Someone who is not already familiar with that type of game would probably be more likely to be drawn in based on content rather than just name. EA's games work, not because of a catchy title, but because people want to play using their favorite teams and players and so forth.

Last edited by erikthered; 10-28-2011 at 10:57 PM.
Old 10-29-2011, 12:31 AM   #44
outrider64
Major Leagues

Quote:
Originally Posted by erikthered View Post
I'm not sure I agree. I think it would actually be more important for the game to have real league affiliations than a catchy name. I got into "NHL Eastside Hockey Manager" not because of any flashy naming, but rather because--from the title--I knew that when I spent my money, I was getting a game already full of official logos, rosters, league format, etc. In fact, I came across the 05 version while desperately searching for any NHL game for Mac. Of course, once I spent the cash, I was hooked.

That's not to say that I wouldn't buy this game if it didn't have official licensing. I certainly would, but I'm already familiar with the sports simulation genre through EHM and, subsequently, FM. Someone who is not already familiar with that type of game would probably be more likely to be drawn in based on content rather than just name. EA's games work, not because of a catchy title, but because people want to play using their favorite teams and players and so forth.
You are right about having real players, teams etc.
I guess the point I was trying to make was for OOTP Developments name to become more exposed to casual gamers who may or may not have heard of the company and the excellent games they have been creating.
Better marketing increases sales which would help in creating new games and adding new features to the baseball games
Old 10-29-2011, 03:05 AM   #45
Nightmare
Bat Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave1927p View Post
I don't really like any of those names. It needs to be something catchy that might peak interest. Those come across as sounding boring.

In the end, it doesn't matter to me ; i'm still buying it. But North Americans, especially Canadians care about the National Hockey League. I'd say the best name has to apply the nhl (without using it lol) but at the same time not alienating others. Though call

"National Hockey [Manager] 2012" or "Executive Hockey 2012" would be mine but even that sounds boring.
In that case why not call it Eliteserien Hockey Manager or NLA, SM-Liiga, DEL, or even better Kontinental Hockey Manager? It's not just about selling it in North America, and NHL is certainly not the only league in the world that people follow. Some of us(including yours truly) don't even follow it...
Old 10-29-2011, 02:00 PM   #46
Postman
Major Leagues

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightmare View Post
In that case why not call it Eliteserien Hockey Manager or NLA, SM-Liiga, DEL, or even better Kontinental Hockey Manager? It's not just about selling it in North America, and NHL is certainly not the only league in the world that people follow. Some of us(including yours truly) don't even follow it...
Agreed, but the NHL is the world's premier league, just as the NBA and MLB are for their sports. FIFA doesn't really have one, though the Barclay's Premier League comes close (certainly not the MLS!).

So, I think that for business reasons, OOTP Dev should tie the name somehow to the world's premier league, i.e. the NHL. That's not to say that if available, I wouldn't rule out being a general manager in, say, the Swedish league. That would be new and different.
Old 10-29-2011, 02:24 PM   #47
Chicagofan76
Banned

Infractions: 2/2 (3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Postman View Post
Agreed, but the NHL is the world's premier league, just as the NBA and MLB are for their sports. FIFA doesn't really have one, though the Barclay's Premier League comes close (certainly not the MLS!).

So, I think that for business reasons, OOTP Dev should tie the name somehow to the world's premier league, i.e. the NHL. That's not to say that if available, I wouldn't rule out being a general manager in, say, the Swedish league. That would be new and different.
I agree
Granted Hockey is more popular than baseball worldwide, but people dont buy OOTP to play the Venezuelan Winter league or to play Endor Baseball (me excluded) the hockey game should be no different, I know all the good players come from Europe and Canada but I cant tell you a single league in those countries. MLS isnt the top tier of soccer? darn. Which is another reason why Americans hate soccer.
Old 10-29-2011, 03:05 PM   #48
AESP_pres
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rudel.dietrich View Post
World Hockey Manager may be pretty plain but it perfectly sums up the game and WHM makes for a nice acronym.
Exactly

Quote:
Originally Posted by RBLwebguy View Post
World Hockey Manager may appeal to you fellas over that side of the pond but in North America it isn't a cool name for a hockey sim.
I'm Canadian and the name sound perfectly right to me

Quote:
Originally Posted by deanemj View Post
I'm shocked that the developers haven't chosen OOTP Hockey to match their flagship product.
Wouldn't make any sense... last time I've check the sport was not played in a park

Quote:
Originally Posted by 21C View Post
World Hockey Manager (or WoHoMan) was a game about 10 years ago. I don't know if that has any effect on current naming.
Just need to change the name for World Hockey League Manager, doesn't sound like a big problem to me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicagofan76 View Post
I agree
Granted Hockey is more popular than baseball worldwide, but people dont buy OOTP to play the Venezuelan Winter league or to play Endor Baseball (me excluded) the hockey game should be no different, I know all the good players come from Europe and Canada but I cant tell you a single league in those countries.
Canadian here and I've never played with the NHL in NHL : EHM 2007, always an European league or the LJMHQ. So don't generalize on this, some fan knows that european hockey is a better representation of the sport than what we have here...

Last edited by AESP_pres; 10-29-2011 at 03:18 PM.
Old 10-29-2011, 03:21 PM   #49
dcpcarmona
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by AESP_pres View Post
Exactly

I'm Canadian and the name sound perfectly right to me

Wouldn't make any sense... last time I've check the sport was not played in a park

Just need to change the name for World Hockey League Manager, doesn't sound like a big problem to me

Canadian here and I've never played with the NHL in NHL : EHM 2007, always an European league or the LJMHQ. So don't generalize on this, some fan knows that european hockey is a better representation of the sport than what we have here...
Final time...Behind the Glass Hockey Manager
Old 10-29-2011, 03:37 PM   #50
Chicagofan76
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by AESP_pres View Post
Exactly

Which is why Out Of The Rink Hockey is the best name and sure people play Canadian baseball leagues, Domician, Australian. It doesnt mean that those leagues are better than MLB or in this case NHL.
Old 10-30-2011, 12:44 PM   #51
dave1927p
FHM Moderator

What makes EAs madden NFL Football and NHL series not a boring title is that it has the top league in the world in the title but in order to do that of course needs to be lisenced. These games cannot do that.

I like Dynasty Hockey 2012 - although it wouldn't surprise me if it's already taken.

"Outside the Rink" or "Out of the Rink Hockey" is cute but i don't like it. The purpose would be that it might attract ootp fans to the game? Well, i think they'll be checking it out no matter what name it is if they have a passing interest in the game because it's made by ootp. And what professional hockey team calls their arena a rink? None of them. A rink is smalltime minor hockey. This isn't a minor hockey game

And why argue for Worldwide Hockey Manager - the name is already taken....

Canadians love hockey. NHL Hockey. But again, in the end the name really doesn't matter too much. It's all about the features of the product, interface etc etc. Although this is a fun little debate

EDIT: Yeah, dynasty hockey already taken.

Last edited by dave1927p; 10-30-2011 at 12:59 PM.
Old 10-30-2011, 04:07 PM   #52
DWK
All Star Reserve

Behind the Bench Hockey Manager Nice!!!
Old 10-30-2011, 05:08 PM   #53
dave1927p
FHM Moderator

is "Hall of Fame" a lisenced trademark?

If not here's another one "Hall of Fame Hockey" isn't that the ultimate goal for your GM

Is there already a game called "Dynasty Hockey"?

Last edited by dave1927p; 10-30-2011 at 05:18 PM.
Old 10-30-2011, 05:24 PM   #54
Chicagofan76
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave1927p View Post
is "Hall of Fame" a lisenced trademark?

If not here's another one "Hall of Fame Hockey" isn't that the ultimate goal for your GM

Is there already a game called "Dynasty Hockey"?
I like Hall Of Fame Hockey
Old 10-30-2011, 06:02 PM   #55
Charlie Hough
Hall Of Famer

Wow. I don't say this to be self-serving, but I honestly thought my suggestion of Top of the Net Hockey was the most logical and sensible choice.

It's the closest in form and style to Out of the Park Baseball, and it would make for a similarly convenient abbreviation (TOTN).

However, whatever name is chosen, it should NOT be based on a fan poll. It needs to be based on the marketability of the name and whether it will help generate interest and sales.
Old 10-30-2011, 08:45 PM   #56
dave1927p
FHM Moderator

Top of the net is where the water bottle goes, not the puck But yes i agree with you that the name probably shouldn't be made by a poll - especially by those that really know next to nothing about the game and the direction it's going

Last edited by dave1927p; 10-30-2011 at 08:46 PM.
Old 10-31-2011, 12:31 AM   #57
jbergey22
Hall Of Famer

People sure do get sour grapes when their suggestion isnt chosen dont they? LOL

I think they are all fine choices. I chose IHM.
Old 10-31-2011, 05:34 AM   #58
DWK
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbergey22 View Post
People sure do get sour grapes when their suggestion isnt chosen dont they? LOL
isn't that the truth
Old 10-31-2011, 07:21 AM   #59
Erik W.
Global Moderator

To those suggesting "Out of the Rink", I don't really think it makes sense. Out of the Park works because a baseball hit out of the park (in fair territory) is a good thing. A puck hit out of the rink just means there's a stoppage in play.

As for my own vote, I went with International Hockey Manager. My problem with World Hockey Manager, even before reading the thread and seeing that there was already a game with that name, is that it immediately made me think of World Basketball Manager.

The other two options are fine with me, too. None of the names have much sizzle, but none of them are horrible, either.
Old 10-31-2011, 11:33 AM   #60
eMLBCommish
All Star Reserve

I am excited to hear of the hockey initiative.

Personally, I would've preferred "Five Hole Hockey Manager" or "Hat Trick Hockey Manager"

The Man Behind eMLB - https://atl-02.statsplus.net/emlb/re..._150_home.html

Proud OOTP Affiliate Streamer
Proud Twitch Partner (Partnered 3/15/22)
Closed Thread