Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Franchise Hockey Manager 5 > FHM 5 - General Discussion

FHM 5 - General Discussion Talk about the 2018 version of FHM.

Old 12-17-2018, 06:58 AM   #21
JeffR
FHM Producer

All leagues can only be expanded on July 1, not just the NHL. You wouldn't be able to add a team before then.
JeffR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2018, 12:25 PM   #22
Orioles1966
Hall Of Famer

I have 2 custom leagues and I am on July 1st and can't expand(is that possible with custom leagues?) and also I can't add team(s).

One league started with 60 teams while the other one started with 54 teams.
Orioles1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2018, 04:40 AM   #23
Mancandy
Minors (Double A)

Infractions: 0/1 (3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebastian Palkowski View Post
It is not that easy.

I would not call expansion mode unplayable, it effects you only in the first season and just makes it a bit harder to play with an expansion team.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebastian Palkowski View Post
We put in expansion draft by popular demand. Most people are happy to have it in,even if it has this small limitation. We explained you the reason for the limitation and also told you that at some point we will code the change but we have to plan our resources carefully and use them to do stuff that effects as many people as possible. So this change right now is not on top of our todo list.
Are you serious? Losing out on a year of draft picks affects the first 15+ seasons. It completely alters the trajectory of the whole franchise and the entire league. The draft would play out completely different with the extra team, which means dozens if not hundreds of players are affected. This isn’t a small limitation, it’s a game altering bug that makes expansion teams unplayable if you want it to be remotely realistic. It’d be like removing penalties and power plays from the game simulations.

If you’re not going to fix it, fine, but please don’t insult our intelligence by trying to diminish the massive impact that this error has on the game.

Last edited by Mancandy; 12-24-2018 at 04:43 AM.
Mancandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2019, 05:49 AM   #24
rajiabu
Bat Boy

Ive brought this game (Steam), i previously had FHM3 but didnt get much use from it.

I cant figure out how to get expansion teams into any league ive set up. I have tried various league setups (standard, Custom & online) and have the start date as July 1st yet i can see no options where i can add expansion teams.
Can anyone help with this.

I would also like to know how to ake control of 2 teams?
rajiabu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2019, 06:24 PM   #25
jh95
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajiabu View Post
Ive brought this game (Steam), i previously had FHM3 but didnt get much use from it.

I cant figure out how to get expansion teams into any league ive set up. I have tried various league setups (standard, Custom & online) and have the start date as July 1st yet i can see no options where i can add expansion teams.
Can anyone help with this.

I would also like to know how to ake control of 2 teams?
On July 1st enable "Commissoner Mode" below "Manager->Options".
Goto "NHL" menu and select "Edit" at the bottom of the dropdown menu.
Select "Expand League" on the bottom left.
jh95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2019, 06:09 PM   #26
Sabres2000
All Star Reserve

Question.. I know some leagues you can only add so many teams per league can we add?
Sabres2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2019, 10:30 PM   #27
Adam B
Hockey Community Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabres2000 View Post
Question.. I know some leagues you can only add so many teams per league can we add?
36 for the NHL. I'm not sure on the others off the top of my head however.
Adam B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2019, 12:21 PM   #28
Bat Boy

Here is a question: How are players made eligible for the expansion draft? Do teams do protections lists?
default is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2019, 12:32 PM   #29
redtiger7
All Star Starter

Yes, protection lists.
redtiger7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2019, 12:56 PM   #30
Bat Boy

Hmm. Does it follow the same rules as the VGK draft?

I am making the Seattle expansion and I am trying to keep it pretty realistic. I simmed out to 2021, ran an initial mock on capfriendly, and then wrote out loose protection lists for each team based on their roster in game. And it still seems like some odd decisions are being made.

Carolina had two goalies made available, Mantha, Sergachev, Ryan Ellis (which okay, maybe they protected Subban), Courtier and some other odd choices were all made available. I suppose this could be do to some evolving rosters (particularly in Detroit's case) but some of those guys are listed at the top of the team's depth chart.

Is it just bad AI or is it just broken?
Old 05-31-2019, 05:01 PM   #31
Bat Boy

For example here is the Flyers depth chart

Name:  Depth.png
Views: 835
Size:  253.4 KB

In game the players available were:

Defenseman
Samuel Morin
Philippe Myers
Nate Schmidt

Forwards
Nicolas Aube Kubel
Justin Bailey
Cole Bardreau
Michael Bunting
Sean Courtier
Tyrell Goulbourne
Ryan Hartman
Charles Hudon
Travis Konecny
Scott Laughton
Oskar Lindblom
Gustav Nyqvist
Jakob Voracek
Mikhail Vorobyov
Casey Wellman
James Van Riemsdyk

Some observations:
  • No goalies made available
  • All but 1 of top five RW available
  • 2 of the top players on the depth chart (at center and at rw) made available
  • Even if notable 1st and 2nd year pros were not exempt and had to be protected (Hoglander, Farabee, Frost, O'brien, Lavoie) Assumed protected list (adding Patrick, Sanheim, Provorov, Gost) would be at nine.

Last edited by default; 05-31-2019 at 05:03 PM.
Old 06-01-2019, 12:12 PM   #32
redtiger7
All Star Starter

Nope. For example, there's no limit on how many players can be picked from 1 team.
redtiger7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2019, 01:43 AM   #33
Bat Boy

That is frustrating. Kinda ruins that experience.

I have bought several versions of FHM and will continue to support this game because it has some potential, but right now the two saves I have wanted to get going with FHM for several years (a custom league, or starting with a blank slate in the present day NHL) are both lacking and have prevented me from ever really diving into previous iterrations.

Hopefully this gets some love in the next version, as currently the way this behaves makes no sense. Besides not following any of the rules, GMs make bogus decision. They do not consider current production, impact on team build, or potential. We are only getting closer to the actual expansion, so it would be a lot of fun to play that out. Personally (and I get that perhaps this is not everyone's cup of tea) I would appreciate it if when we expanded it would be delayed for a year so we could see teams make moves with ED in mind.
Old 09-06-2019, 01:02 PM   #34
avsfan96
Minors (Rookie Ball)

A More Realistic Expansion Draft

Here is what I came up with to make the Expansion Draft more realistic. Write down or print out a list of the 31 Teams. Start the expansion draft. TIP - USE ALL THE PAYROLL MONEY. Remember 12 players will be sent down to the AHL to free up the cash. You will have about $10 million left over.

Rule#1 - You can only draft two (2) players from each team or any pick over two YOU will have to GIVE compensation to that team. Compensation is explained below.

Rule#2 - If you do not pick any player from a particular team and have left that team free from losing any player, than YOU will RECEIVE compensation.

Use the list of teams you printed and tally the picks so you know how many players each team has lost.

Once the Expansion Draft is concluded, Play (SIM) to the next day. Now it is time for compensation.

Get a pair of dice, one red, one white or two different dice. The red dice is tens and the white is ones. Any teams you have not picked a player from will owe you compensation. Any team you picked more than 2 players from, you will owe them compensation. Use the attached chart or any chart you want to create yourself.

Rule #3 - Any compensation you receive up to a total of six(6) will be received in prospects from the draft that just occurred before your franchise was started. Any compensation over six(6), you can choose to receive a prospect or a draft pick in next years draft.

Roll the dice for each team. Match the die numbers with the proper Round Compensation. Also remember to use the 2nd chart if you owe any team compensation. If you owe, it will be a Draft pick. You can come up with what year or years you want to use or not use to send the draft pick.

Once you have the round number that each team(s) owe you or you owe them, then simply go to the NHL Draft Log for the year that just happened. You will receive the highest pick that team has in whatever round you were awarded. Sort the draft list by pick. Ex: You didn't pick any player from Toronto, hence you rolled the dice and were awarded a 4th Round pick. Scroll down the list until you find Toronto's first 4th Round pick. Click the players name and changed who owns his rights to your team. Now you have a prospect in your organization. Wait, Toronto has no fourth pick to give? Shame, scroll up to find the last pick Toronto had in the 3rd round, it's now yours. No 3rd round pick either? Now you receive next years 3rd round draft pick instead. Simply go the draft log list and changed each player you were awarded to your team.

Over six picks? Then the remaining compensation will be draft picks for next years draft. Simply go to the team who owes compensation and edit and change the pick they owe to you.If you owe a pick do the the same thing to your team and edit the draft pick to the team you owe it to.

When it is all said and done, you will have 23 players on your NHL Roster, 12 players on your AHL roster, hopefully 4 to 6 unsigned draft propects and if you do really well, a few extra draft picks next years draft to fill the coffers.

This adds another element to the Expansion Draft. Be mindful towards the end of the Expansion Draft if you have teams you didn't pick from. You may want to draft someone who is comparable and not loose compensation. GOOD LUCK!
Attached Images
avsfan96 is offline   Reply With Quote