Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Franchise Hockey Manager 3 > Franchise Hockey Manager 3 - General Discussion

Franchise Hockey Manager 3 - General Discussion Talk about our latest hockey manager game, officially licensed by the NHL!

Old 04-02-2017, 03:49 PM   #1
Rafusedj
Minors (Rookie Ball)

FHM 3 General Opinions

I would like to begin by saying I am having a blast with this game and am currently in the year 2024 in PTG mode. I do however have some general opinions and observations I would like to point out since I know FHM 4 development is ongoing!!

1) As a PTG player I believe the option to go on vacation is a must. I love the day to day sim but would love to have the ability to sim to a particular date or event. I do understand the premise for this mode is for day to day simulation of the life of a real GM but I think the ability to sim to certain dates/events could help with excessive clicking and waiting!

2) I believe that jobs get filled to quickly and therefore there are never any available jobs in season. I even had two instances that jobs were filled before I even had a chance to reply, however once I accepted the job the GM they had just hired immediately got fired. It would be nice if available jobs in season stayed unfilled for a few days and gave you the ability to at least apply for a position rather than have one offered to you.

3) I am not sure if this is possible or not but I have never had this happen in my current game. It would be nice if you were offered a contract from another organization in a higher league while you were still employed. As I stated I am not sure if this is possible but as the GM of a very successful QMJHL team I have never been offered a job by a team in the ECHL/AHL or any other higher level pro league. My reputation is still below average so this maybe the reason, which leads me into point 4.

4) I have been the GM of 2 different QMJHL teams during my 8 sim years playing the game. During this time I have been to 3 memorial cups, finished with over 100 points in 6 of those years however I still have a reputation of below average. I am not sure if reputation is based on results or years employed but I would have thought my reputation would have risen a bit faster based on my results.

5) I also noticed that the memorial cup rotation seems like a random selection of CHL teams as a whole rather than a rotation between the 3 leagues. It would also be nice to have the option to apply to host the memorial cup a year or 2 in advance that way you could build your team accordingly. It would be disappointing if you decided to go into rebuild mode and got awarded the memorial cup before the season.

6) It seems that overage players in the CHL get no love. They are impossible to trade and on the flip side AI teams will give away significant assets just to include overage players in trades. I would love to have a shop around feature for this game. That way you could quickly see what teams may have interest in not just overage players but also help if you were looking to trade away younger assets to build a contender for the season.

7) I enjoy the ability to participate in world tournaments, however would love the ability to turn off news stories for international events. I hate when my mailbox gets filled up with news that some player from Mexico had a great game in the division 3 world U18 tournament. I enjoy reading stories from international games my players are part of but would like the ability to control what news I receive.

As I previously stated I am really enjoying how this game is playing but just wanted to bring some attention to some of the things I have noticed during my gameplay that may help with the FHM 4 experience!
Rafusedj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2017, 04:18 PM   #2
Rafusedj
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Just to add one more point!

8) I love how the game handles CHL players who get drafted to NHL teams. It is so exciting when that player has a rough start to the season and gets sent back to my team which gives me a mid season boost and on the flip side I get nervous on AUG 31 wondering if my plans for a good season will be shattered when my star player signs his NHL contract!
Old 04-02-2017, 11:12 PM   #3
Epic
Bat Boy

My general opinion:

It's certainly a playable game and far from an awful product, but there are some aspects, which make it hard to enjoy.

1) The goalie system is poor. It's possible for a 1.5 star goalie to "win" the starting job and even keep someone like Carey Price on the bench for most of the season. Teams also trade goalies for peanuts. An NHL goalie isn't something that grows on a tree, yet teams are giving them away for 3-5 round draft picks.

2) There seems to be a glitch with restricted free agents as I could easily build a dominant future force with all the youngsters that don't seem to get a qualifying offer and end up unrestricted. Also, way too many good players get waived.

3) The scouting system is frustrating. I like the scouting concept in the game and I'm sure a lot of players will enjoy the wide variety of choices, but a simple thing shouldn't be so hard. I'm an NHL club and have my assistant taking care of the scouting. I want the draft prospects to be scouted, not 26+ age players in some league I don't care about. It's common sense!

4) GM-only mode needs more control or coaches who have more than half a brain. Brought over my top prospect from Sweden after a dominant season, he's a star in the making. Yet my coach plays him as a 4th liner, even without any PP time. He ended up with something like 5 points in 82 games. 4.5 potential dropped to 3.5 with the first season and I guess he won't be a world beater anymore. Also, at the end of the season, when I have either clinched a playoff spot or out of the race, the prospects need playing time. Yet after call ups, the coach ignores them and doesn't play them.

5) Too many GM firings. Being a NHL GM isn't a 1-2, even a 3-year project. They mostly aren't resposible for the teams failures. At least in a straigh forward way. But in this game, GM's get fired in no time and mostly midseason, which doesn't make any sense whatsoever. When was the last time IRL a GM was let go midseason? Honorable mention to coaches getting fired after a preseason game.

Overall, the game lacks realism, which is perfectly summed up with sunburn "injuries" happening during winter months.
Epic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2017, 12:07 PM   #4
EvvCat
Minors (Single A)

I've enjoyed the game and spent more time with it than I should have, but have to agree with Epic about his points.

I've had my own share of issues I can't reconcile, mostly with GM hiring, salary and the GMOTY algorithm.

In PtG, I started in the ECHL with Fort Wayne. 3-year contract for $11,500. Won the Kelly Cup all three years (went 65-7 in year two because it turned out to be easy to stockpile talent) but never won GMOTY.

At the end of my contract, got offered a nice pay cut to +/- $8500 for 2-4 years. Screw that! I rejected. Ft. Wayne then spent $40,000 on a GM and coach to replace me and went back to being non-contenders.

With three straight cups, ECHL teams would be fawning over me, right? Nope. Sat out a year plus before finally accepting a $0 offer from PPK in Suomi-Sarja. Took them from 2-4-1 early to the playoffs, then won the title in year two and got them promoted to Mestis (still no GMOTY though). More success! I'll get a better offer now!

Nope. Most of another year off waiting, a move to Danbury in the FHL for the final two games of 2023, then a title in 2024 -- and at last, GMOTY! (Of course, I only had six competitors in the FHL...)

Five titles in less than six full seasons of coaching. I've added 8-9 points per year to my attributes. Still only minor offers, despite many, many GM/coach hirings.

I can get past not getting an NHL offer I guess, but taking pay cuts and not getting interest from at least the ECHL is ridiculously out of whack.

I've given up. The lower levels are too easy to win in, but I don't even get ECHL offers despite winning a title in *every* full season I've coached. (Which is a problem in itself.)

I *really* appreciate what's gone into this game, but I do hope this helps plant some seeds for improvements in FHM4 and beyond.
EvvCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2017, 12:46 PM   #5
Rafusedj
Minors (Rookie Ball)

So just a quick update after more playing. This is in reference to my first post so each number corresponds with that post!

1) So I discovered that I had turned on sim day by day for when I was GM in the NHL as to avoid losing out on waived players. Once I unchecked this box I was able to pretty much sim through the summer months (which in the QMJHL is a really down time with nothing to do!) This pretty much negates point number 1 which is great!

3) I was offered a contract in the ECHL while still contracted to my QMJHL team. This is great news and negates point number 3!!

I really hope that this thread can be used to point out different things both positive and negative in a constructive way. I find that this game was much better and more immersive than I had originally thought when I first bought the game. I hope that development continues to be strong and we can end up with a game that will grow over time!
Old 04-11-2017, 08:54 PM   #6
Epic
Bat Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epic View Post

Overall, the game lacks realism, which is perfectly summed up with sunburn "injuries" happening during winter months.
Just had another good example regarding the lack of realism. Started a new game and Hutton somehow outbattled Allen for the starting job in St. Louis during the 1st season and ended up winning the Vezina. Got waived in the summer and the Blues brought in Raanta for Steen...smh.

Edit: This game really hates goalies. In my 2nd season, about a month or so in, Flames are among the league leaders with Brian Elliott topping the goalie wins chart. They trade him in a deal basically involving nothing but rubbish. To New Jersey. But the Devils already have Schneider and Ryan Miller. So the hottest goalie in the NHL ends up in the AHL.

Last edited by Epic; 04-14-2017 at 08:06 PM.
Epic is offline   Reply With Quote