Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Earlier versions of Out of the Park Baseball > Earlier versions of OOTP: General Discussions

Earlier versions of OOTP: General Discussions General chat about the game...

Old 12-09-2002, 12:54 AM   #1
wyatttracts
Minors (Single A)

We Laughed, We Cried (long but worth it)

A while back I decided that I would customize a Fictional Player Solo League. This was the first time that I had ever done that. Usually I just begin with either 2002 season default players or start my solo leagues with real players. Of course the major difference was that in the custom league I got the opportunity to draft every player on my team. I spent a great deal of time pouring over these players. After all this was the first time I had actually built a team from the ground up, every player hand picked by me. Now, being fictional players, every player is a shot in the dark and how they turn out is all guess work, yet, still fun to watch. Nonetheless, I am proud to say that I was able to put a pretty solid team on the field.

On my team I drafted in my first season, in the year 2004, a 3B/DH named Rascoe Barahona. Rascoe never won a Batting Title. He never led the league in Homeruns or RBI’s. Rascoe just played solid ball every day. For seven seasons Rascoe was my starting Designated Hitter. For seven years Rascoe averaged solid numbers for us. He averaged in those seven years: .270 Batting Avg. , 25 HR, 75 RBI every season. Not Hall of Fame numbers, but surely solid numbers!

For seven years our team searched the league looking for new pitchers to give us more zing and new position players to give us more pop. We were always looking to improve somewhere. Yet for seven seasons we never looked for another Designated Hitter. Why would we? Rascoe showed up every day ready to play. Early in his career with us we signed him to a long term deal. So, season in, season out we never really put much thought into good ‘ol Rascoe. He was always there, playing his heart out. His name was inked in on the lineup card. Never a question, Rascoe Barahona…..starting DH.

Then it happened. In the year 2011, at the age of 36, Rascoe’s contract was up for negotiation. Honestly, we had gone in our pockets mighty deep to sign others who had promised to deliver. Actually a little too deep in our pockets. Finances were not very good for us. Rascoe, our ever faithful slugger‘s career with us was up in the air. What could we do? Rascoe’s asking price was not astronomical by any means, but for our financially strapped team from Norfolk, VA. It was more than we could afford.

I knew that what Rascoe asked us for was fair. Heck, even if it wasn’t, didn’t he deserve for us to look out for him? Yet, I in all my so called wisdom thought that if I offered Rascoe less, that he just might stay with us to finish out his career. In our negotiations, he politely turned my now obviously weak offer down. Rascoe was always a gentleman. My second offer to him was a little better, yet even I knew that what I was doing was no way to treat a guy that had been so faithful to us. Again I was politely turned down. Looking back now, I should have given in. I should have given Rascoe what he was asking for. He had always done that for us. Yet, something inside said, “hey he is 36 years old. His career is about over anyway.” So, once more I tossed out a figure for him to digest that was way below his asking price.

I’ll never forget that empty feeling that I felt when good ‘ol, faithful Rascoe said, “Sorry, you had your chance, I’ll play elsewhere next year.” I didn’t since anger in his statement. Disappointment maybe, but not anger. That was the last time that Rascoe Barahona answered my request to discuss his contract. For the first time in seven years, when our 2012 season began, I had to pencil in someone else’s name in the lineup as ….starting DH.

As a team, we did well that season. In fact, we went on to win the World Series. Over the past few years we had acquired a great pitching staff that for all practical purposes carried us through. They carried us through the 2013 season as well. Our power hitting lineup had been successfully replaced with power pitching. Over the next two seasons we platooned two below par journeyman as Designated Hitters. They added absolutely nothing to our team, but someone had to fill the slot. But that was okay because it was now our pitching that set the pace for us. All we needed was a run or two and we were set. 2013 saw us win another World Series!

On into the 2014 season, our Masterful Pitching led the way once more. We had pulled out to a commanding lead in our division that found us 14 games ahead after the All Star break. It was at that time that I decided to look through our farm system and see how our prospects were doing. I noticed that there were a few “30ish” guys that were clogging up the progression of my future blue chip talent so I proceeded to release them to give my real prospects a clear shot to the Bigs. After releasing them I decided to go to the free agent list and see how those that I had released compared to those still left on the list. Remember, after the All Star break, it is usually slim pickens on the FA List. As I scrolled through the FA leftovers, to my surprise, I came across a name that immediately caught my eye and my heart. Sitting right there, three years later was a 3B named Rascoe Barahona. I quickly clicked on my old friend to see what my scout had to say about him and I have to admit, it was hard chocking back the tears as I read what was said about the now 39 year old: “Rascoe has his best years behind him. There is probably no way he will regain his old form. Rascoe has a difficult time at the plate, he really seems to struggle.”

I looked at his numbers for the past three years and sure enough a huge decline for Rascoe. No where near the solid production that he had given us. He had been signed by another team in 2012 and they had placed him on the bench as a backup 3B. Rascoe never had another chance when he left us. Did he want to leave us? I don’t think so. I forced him to go. We went on our merry way to the World Series, while Rascoe slowly disappeared from the game. How sad……Then it hit me! If Rascoe is still on the FA List then he is still available? I right clicked him to see if he would give me one more chance. To my joy, Rascoe agreed to sign a Minor League Contract!

Quickly I signed him up. I went to my Transaction Screen to see where he had been placed. Minor League level “A” without a green arrow. My scouts were sure that single A ball was all he could handle. After all they told me his career was already over. I usually pay attention to my scouts and coaches, but this time was different. This time it was personal. Just as quickly as I had signed my old friend, I had given my Single A coach the call, “Send Rascoe Barahona on up!” It was as if you could hear my scouts and coach saying, “this is a mistake!” Nonetheless, I said “We are playing in Philly tomorrow, I want Rascoe to meet the team there!”

I don’t know who was more surprised. The fans, the players, the coaches, the scouts, or my good friend Rascoe Barahona, but from that day on and for the last 56 games of the season, for the first time in three years I had ink written on my lineup sheet , reading “Starting at DH….Rascoe Barahona.”

Our Pitching continued to propel us to the top. And I have to admit it was a sweet ride. A ride that I took with my old friend. My starting DH only hit .189 the rest of that season, but I will never forget watching him hit the last 7 homeruns of his career. 7 more than he would have gotten if I had not found him on the FA List, But then again, how many more would he have hit in the past three years if I had not let him slip away because of my greed? Every day for those last 56 games I watched Rascoe lace up his cleets and just play hard. Just like he had always done before. It seemed like for seven years I hardly noticed him, but these last 56 games, I watched him as if he were the greatest that ever played the game. And the more I think about maybe he was…..to me.

Rascoe and I, well, we laughed and cried ……

Okay, it’s just a game and Rascoe is a fictional player, but it sure is fun isn’t it?
wyatttracts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2002, 01:01 AM   #2
TotalEnd98
All Star Starter

Ladies and gentlemen... this is why I love this game.

Excellent post, wyatttracts. Thanks.
TotalEnd98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2002, 02:40 AM   #3
bigphesta
Banned

That brought a tear to my eye. I love Rascoe. And it wasn't even my sim.
bigphesta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2002, 03:13 AM   #4
MannyTrillo
All Star Reserve

Beautiful story!

You know, people say that my "players" are really just lines of code, but I'll tell you one thing: I treat those lines of code a heckuva lot better than a lot of GMs treat their real players, and that's worth more to me than any championship, 100 point season score, or anything else you can name!

Poster emeritus

"Not butchery, dining!!"

obt sk cmh ct

President, A-1 Aces OT Posting Club
Click here to join
MannyTrillo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2002, 03:25 AM   #5
atomheart
Major Leagues

Thanks for a great read
atomheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2002, 03:38 AM   #6
fantom1979
Hall Of Famer

One of the greatest posts I have ever read. Excellent reading. I am sure most of us have had a player or two that is like this. Where we have to remind ourselves that this is just a game, and the player isnt real. Its funny because I just signed a 39 year old Elmer Rust, who pitched 13 years for me (including 3 cy youngs and 2 WS) before I let my greed get to me. Elmer pitched 3 fine seasons with Arizona before he disappeared. He will now finish the season where he belongs.

Sorry to input my own story, your story just makes me think of it. Some of the best seasons dont end with a WS win.

fantom1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2002, 06:22 AM   #7
Tyke
All Star Starter

Fantastic! As TotalEnd98 said, that's why we love this game. Absolutely brilliant post.
Tyke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2002, 06:53 AM   #8
Henry
Hall of Fame

wyatttracts,

A great story and a perfect example of how we feel about our leagues and players. All authors at heart - and you obviously have the talent to put it to paper

Henry
Henry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2002, 07:05 AM   #9
JoeRockEHF
All Star Reserve

That was an awesome story. I almost cried.
Old 12-09-2002, 08:17 AM   #10
Tib
All Star Reserve

Outstanding. Rascoe Barahona is now one of my favorite players.

How poinantly you have touched on why we love this game so much. It might be lines of code, but it gives us something more. It allows us to connect with baseball on a more intimate level, and by doing so, connect with the people that bring us such joy.

Not to step on your wonderful account, but I had a player like that. Phillip Goldberry. Aging slugger. Best years behind him. Why I kept him I don't know, except that I was convinced that in spite of a poor average he had something to contribute. Sure enough, we made the playoffs that year. Without his help, really. Then, in one of the greatest goodbye performances ever in my league, Goldsberry hits 7 HR in the playoffs, 3 in the WS and we win.

Rascoe may be fictional, but what you felt for him was real. You can sense it in your story. I can just see Rascoe at home in forced retirement, on his treadmill, keeping himself in shape just in case he gets a call.
Tib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2002, 09:39 AM   #11
TotalEnd98
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by Tib
It might be lines of code, but it gives us something more.
Exactly. This is not just a game, because it allows for an amazing amount of creativity. You can structure a league exactly the way you want it, put in the players you want, give players the ratings you want. You have control over about 85% of what happens in your league, which keeps you interested. And it's the other 15% that keeps us coming back for more.
TotalEnd98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2002, 10:42 AM   #12
ctorg
Global Moderator

Wow, what a great post!

Rascoe has now, in my mind, become one of those immortal fictional baseball players like Roy Hobbs. You should post his career stats for all to see and maybe someone (maybe myself) can use him in a fictional league. Rascoe can live forever.

I know a Mariners fan who was afraid of losing Edgar Martinez (although this obviously didn't happen) because of his age, even though he does still have a lot to offer.

This is why this game is so great!

Last edited by ctorg; 12-09-2002 at 10:45 AM.
ctorg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2002, 12:45 PM   #13
DreamTeams
Hall Of Famer

Fiction is not dead. Thanks for the story.
Old 12-09-2002, 01:46 PM   #14
LivnLegend
Hall Of Famer

wyatttracts, thanks for the great read!
Old 12-09-2002, 02:18 PM   #15
Smellyface
Minors (Triple A)

I know it's been said before, but it's deserving: wonderful story. I had a great time reading it and reflecting back on all the players I have seen come and go from my teams over the "years." All the great and not-so-great players... all the history... records being set, broken. It may be a computer game, but OOTP really gives you the feel of an entire history of baseball. A history that you, other owners if you're in an online league, and the players in your league have written.
Old 12-09-2002, 02:29 PM   #16
blubbla
Hall Of Famer

Well written ... just another post that makes you "feel" like a part of the league.
blubbla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2002, 04:41 PM   #17
OldGiants

Great story! I know how you feel.

I'm going to honor ol' Rascoe by naming my next season's first round pick after him.

Rascoe Barahona will ride again!
OldGiants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2002, 05:00 PM   #18
Kezzek
All Star Reserve

Location: Keyboard - frantically typing in subtle insults to raise my self-esteem
Aw geeez, you got me here grinning at my computer screen at work like a goofball.

Great post!
Old 12-09-2002, 05:30 PM   #19
twins15
Hall Of Famer

Thank you for sharing that great story!

Bismarck Boy Scouts of the OTBL - league yes-man

Ross Gload at baseball-reference.com

Book Quotes and Book Lists
twins15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2002, 07:46 PM   #20
slackmeisterPA
Minors (Triple A)

Great story, and it can't be said enough: This is what makes this game so special.
slackmeisterPA is offline   Reply With Quote