Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 18 > OOTP 18 - General Discussions

OOTP 18 - General Discussions Everything about the 2017 version of Out of the Park Baseball - officially licensed by MLB.com and the MLBPA.

Old 03-26-2017, 01:00 PM   #1
batsfan
Minors (Double A)

Weird minor league stats

In every MLB quickstart I run, after one season all of the minor leagues start having extremely low team/league ERAs. The first season is pretty normal, then it starts getting weird... Batting average is normal, so maybe it is an issue of power? This is to the point where it seems impossible to accurately judge minor league pitching talent, making the game unplayable. Is anyone else experiencing this?

batsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2017, 01:10 PM   #2
Padreman
Hall Of Famer

Location: Tijuana, Baja California, Mexico (formally San Diego, CA.)
No but my previous MLB it did with both era and batting average it got to the point that it was very annoying I stopped playing that game I never knew what the issue was

Chargers= Despicable Traitors
Padreman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2017, 01:21 PM   #3
batsfan
Minors (Double A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Padreman View Post
No but my previous MLB it did with both era and batting average it got to the point that it was very annoying I stopped playing that game I never knew what the issue was
Strange - it's happening on both my mac and pc. I do use non-default settings, so I'm guessing it is something in there? But nothing I change should affect stats. I'll see if I can identify which change is causing this issue.
Old 03-26-2017, 01:48 PM   #4
batsfan
Minors (Double A)

No, this occurs even with the default game settings... for the mlb quickstart included in ootp18 (not an imported game).
Old 03-26-2017, 02:16 PM   #5
batsfan
Minors (Double A)

This is bizzare. The following screenshots are from a MLB quickstart with no settings changes. I am showing the difference between team hitting and pitching stats on the first year (with normal stats) and the second year (where pitching stats become all-around good). This happens on every MLB quickstart in ootp 18 on my mac, and on a test on my PC as well.

Hitting - note how RBI gets much lower despite other stats staying the same:

Pitching - note how both FIP and ERA get lower despite other stats being similar:

It's like clutch hitting suddenly became impossible...

Last edited by batsfan; 03-26-2017 at 02:24 PM.
Old 03-26-2017, 04:27 PM   #6
dtizzle
Minors (Triple A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by batsfan View Post
This is bizzare. The following screenshots are from a MLB quickstart with no settings changes. I am showing the difference between team hitting and pitching stats on the first year (with normal stats) and the second year (where pitching stats become all-around good). This happens on every MLB quickstart in ootp 18 on my mac, and on a test on my PC as well.

Hitting - note how RBI gets much lower despite other stats staying the same:

Pitching - note how both FIP and ERA get lower despite other stats being similar:

It's like clutch hitting suddenly became impossible...

Throwing a dart here. Do you have more:less pitching clicked on the dynamic progression of your league. Not sure that would cause what you are seeing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
dtizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2017, 05:23 PM   #7
NoOne
Hall Of Famer

hit auto-calc for those MiLs on their opening day.

the AI sets up MiL rosters on this day... if you autocalc before it's basing those results on quite a few players that won't even be playing in that league... a bit counterproductive.

anyway, clicking that will cuase statistics to be in the ballpark of the Leauge Totals listed for that league.

what you describe could be somethign like DP's being +10-20% or some defense being mis-calibrated etc etc...

If this is more about "change over time" it's moving from seed or real life players to fictionally created ones... it will take about 20 years for this to finish the transition - a full league turnover.

autocalc will fix this too. you'll want to click it occasionally the first 20years (each year? every 3-5? upto you).. after 20 years or so, you can click it and leave it without a consistent slide in the results (that year's distribution of talent will determine where you have centered the stats -> that year's players could be low, average or high relative to what is actually average over an infinite sample... e.g. if you autocalc in a "high" year and leave those new LTM the same, stats will mostly go down and rarely back up to that 'higher' level with the Same LTM in perpetuity, BUT it will not be a constant slide toward zero.. it will have a lower threshold that it won't dip below.)

Last edited by NoOne; 03-26-2017 at 05:30 PM.
NoOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2017, 05:56 PM   #8
injury log
Hall Of Famer

It looks like all your core stats (K/BB/HR/2B/3B/H) are constant, so the issue has to be elsewhere - it could be a dramatic change in DP, WP, HBP, BK, OF Assists, something like that, something that wouldn't affect AVG/OBP/SLG but would affect run scoring.

There definitely seems to be a big drop in HBP from one year to the next (if you compute your team OBP just based on BB+H each year, ignoring HBP, your team OBP drops by 9 points in the first year, but only by 3 points in the second). Your team is also getting CS a lot more often in the second year. Hard to say beyond that just looking at the screenshots, and hard to say which results are just natural variance, and which are systemic issues that are causing the offensive shortfall.
injury log is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2017, 07:25 PM   #9
swampdragon
Hall Of Famer

Check runners left on base. Either you're leaving more on base, or a lot more outs are being made on the bases. Figure out which one it is. Your ratio of runs to baserunners is way down, even though your power is up a touch.

My sample size is too small to sound alarms, but the number of outfield assists feels high.
“Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies." -- C.S. Lewis
swampdragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2017, 08:43 PM   #10
batsfan
Minors (Double A)

Thanks to everyone for the suggestions!

However, I believe this is an issue in the MLB quickstart in 18, not my setup. I have tried doing this on two separate machines (mac and pc), and the same issue occurred. I tried completely reinstalling OOTP on my mac and running a new game with no settings changed and this issue occured. In all cases, the first season produced normal stats but from 2018 on, pitching stats improved greatly at all minor league levels. In some leagues, the batting stats showed very little change like I showed above, but in others home runs dropped quite a bit.

The suggestion to auto-calc modifiers on opening day seems to work, but it bounces back to the weird pitching stats the next season unless I do this again, and it is a real pain to have to do that for all the minor leagues every year...
Old 03-26-2017, 08:47 PM   #11
Lukas Berger
OOTP Developments

Quote:

However, I believe this is an issue in the MLB quickstart in 18, not my setup. I have tried doing this on two separate machines (mac and pc), and the same issue occurred. I tried completely reinstalling OOTP on my mac and running a new game with no settings changed and this issue occured. In all cases, the first season produced normal stats but from 2018 on, pitching stats improved greatly at all minor league levels. In some leagues, the batting stats showed very little change like I showed above, but in others home runs dropped quite a bit.

The suggestion to auto-calc modifiers on opening day seems to work, but it bounces back to the weird pitching stats the next season unless I do this again, and it is a real pain to have to do that for all the minor leagues every year...
In theory there shouldn't be anything about the settings that would control the years beyond the first year, and we didn't see this in beta testing.

So I'm not really sure what to say. If it is an issue with the quickstart it's an odd one and not readily apparent.

We'll have to look into this more.

lukas@ootpdevelopments.com

Order Out of the Park Baseball 25!

Need to upload files for us to check out? Instructions can be found here
Lukas Berger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2017, 09:48 PM   #12
injury log
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
However, I believe this is an issue in the MLB quickstart in 18, not my setup.
I don't think anyone suggested it was your setup, we were just trying to identify the precise cause of the issue. Some stat or stats that aren't displayed in your screenshots must be the reason. I don't know if this is easy for you to do, but if it is, if you could compare the stats you see in the Expanded Batting Stats (or Batting Stats 2, I forget what it's called) and Expanded Pitching Stats for the two years, and look at things like HBP, WP, BK, etc, there might be a large discrepancy that is changing the number of runs scored. And if you can compare DP in fielding stats, that seems a very likely candidate.

If we can identify which stat(s) are responsible, it will be a lot easier to fix the problem. It could be a problem with player ratings, with player development, or most likely with league totals, and knowing the issue would let us test each possible cause to work out how to fix the problem.
injury log is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2017, 10:09 PM   #13
batsfan
Minors (Double A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lukas Berger View Post
In theory there shouldn't be anything about the settings that would control the years beyond the first year, and we didn't see this in beta testing.

So I'm not really sure what to say. If it is an issue with the quickstart it's an odd one and not readily apparent.

We'll have to look into this more.
Thanks for looking in to this, Lukas! It is very easy to recreate - just start any game with the MLB template (either MLB 2017 quickstart or "New Standard Game") and sim through at least 2018. You will see that minor leagues have low team ERAs starting 2018 and on. If it would be helpful, however, I would be happy to upload a zipped game folder to my google drive and PM the link.

It's surprising this did not come up in beta testing. I could be wrong about this being a OOTP18 issue vs something with my machine, but I don't understand why it would occur on my PC as well. So probably something worth looking in to.
Old 03-27-2017, 03:18 AM   #14
Markus Heinsohn
Developer OOTP

OK, I found the problem. The league total modifiers for DPs and OF assist got screwed up. Will be fixed in today's patch!
Markus Heinsohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2017, 03:19 PM   #15
NoOne
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

Blech, musta missed that post above... nevermind, but leaving for future searches with similar problems:

a note onthat: i noticed a very low era resulting from a really high slash line, and I thought auto-calc fixed the elevated DP (i didn't dig deeper, just saw they were about +25-33% for my league) ... auto-calcing did fix this problem, though... i thought. limited playing on '18 so far. 5-7 seasons of dinking around not running a team.

------------------

auto-calc doesn't happen on it's own... you likely have "1.000" LTM? even if not, they are clearly bad LTM in year 1, relative to what you want.

if you hit autocalc, there's almost no way this could happen normally.

make sure you are not importing historical stuff and unclick automatically autocalc if that is checked. do it manually on occasion... for a test after unchecking these thigns, zoom out to next year, don't auto-calc and see what happens.

Also, do not base anythign on april -june or july... sim the whole season out. if you used 1month or even 3 mnths of stats, it's mostly useless info. even a year you should expect a bit of deviation from those League totals.

e.g. i have a 40 T league, 6500hr/year (roughly proportionate per AB to modern default, if i recall). that value, with non-changing LTM, will have a range of results of about 1200 (5900ish-7100ish).

i only say that in case perception is off a bit... if it's still extreme like you decribed in the original post, that's different. if it's just off a bit, that's actually perfectly okay.

with modern defense (~984-985 fld% and good dp LTM etc etc) i can give you an estimate for a slash i am familar with and ~era that results... ~4.10 from anything near .258/.319/.404... which again will range from ~3.90-4.30, even if you keep all settings and LTM/LT the same depending on numerous factors.

Last edited by NoOne; 03-27-2017 at 03:26 PM.
NoOne is offline   Reply With Quote