Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Earlier versions of Out of the Park Baseball > Earlier versions of OOTP: General Discussions

Earlier versions of OOTP: General Discussions General chat about the game...

Old 04-27-2003, 02:35 PM   #1
Henry
Hall of Fame

Master Wish List

Check it out here....

http://www.ootpdevelopments.com/boar...threadid=33069

Last edited by Henry; 11-07-2003 at 08:11 PM.
Henry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2003, 11:35 AM   #2
Riverdome
All Star Reserve

Great thread. If you haven't checked it out yet you should.
Old 04-28-2003, 06:42 PM   #3
Eugene Church
Hall Of Famer

OOTPB needs to have all of the basic, everyday plays in it.
(I just got OOTP5...so my apology if some of the following have been included).

No one ever drops a throw...drops a foul fly...RF/LF3B/SS never catch foul flies...2B/SS do not have unassisted putouts at second on grounders or unassisted double plays on line drives...C/IF never drops an infield fly...no errors on bunts...rarely is anyone thrown out trying to stretch a single to a double or triple to a home run...no ground rule double bouncing into the stands...no option to play the "infield in" AND "outfield in" when the winning run is on third...can't steal or hit-and-run with 2 strikes...and can't steal home.

Not enough double plays involving the catchers...P or Infielder to home to 1B double plays...and strikeout, followed by out while attempting to steal a base. The game seems to have only 33% of catcher DP's when compared to Major League Baseball.

I play a lot of my games out play-by-play. Adding these basic plays would add to the enjoyment of an already great game.

I would also like more variety in play results text.

Thanks, Henry for starting this thread. I know you will get some great ideas for improving the game.
Eugene Church is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2003, 10:06 PM   #4
bsbll_n_mn

i had a ground rule double the other day
bsbll_n_mn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2003, 03:20 AM   #5
Karl Marx
Minors (Triple A)

I actually seen a bunch of droped flys..... get some crappy outfielders and have fun.

Go D-Rays!!!
Old 04-29-2003, 09:53 AM   #6
markprior22
All Star Starter

Two pretty basic plays that I never see:

1) If the computer attempts to force the lead runner on a sac bunt, the runner is always out. I would like to see them try for the lead runner and fail sometimes.
2) I've never seen the ball thrown away (at 2nd) on a force or attempted double play.
markprior22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2003, 03:23 PM   #7
PassTheBottle
Minors (Single A)

Id still like to see trading draft picks, if EVEN for Internet marked leagues only - Then no AI would need to be involved in calculating the "Value" of the pick vs the ammy class ,etc.

CBL - Daytona Beach FatBoys
NABL - Newark Bears
PassTheBottle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2003, 06:16 PM   #8
BillyBuck
Major Leagues

There is one thing that I have really wanted to bring up about injuries.

We currently have 2 different types of injuries:

OUT and DAY TO DAY

An "OUT" injury knocks a guy out for 4-5 weeks. You put him on the D.L. for 15...and then wait another 2 or 3 weeks for him to change to "OK".

Wouldn't it be nice (and realistic) if some "OUT" injuries actually changed to "DAY TO DAY" after a certain amount of time, depending on the injury? You wouldn't want to make their playing percentages too high, though. It would depend on the injury I guess. That way we (as the owner/manager) are responsible for making the determination as to when the player comes back. This is why we would have to make the percentages a little lower, I think...usually when a player is listed with a "DAY TO DAY" injury at 85%, I'm going to play him becuz the reward is greater than the risk. But if you have a player who has a badly sprained ankle who was OUT for 2 weeks and comes back as "DAY TO DAY" at 65%, do you play him or not?

A side note...I think there should be MORE "DAY TO DAY" injuries as the season goes on. Just think of all those little "naggers" that players get from playing so much.

Thoughts?
Old 04-29-2003, 11:42 PM   #9
seth70liz76
All Star Starter

I'd Like to see the following:

A "visit the mound" feature to calm down my pitcher.

A group of managers with their ratings and tendencies to work against (it seems unless I change them, all the teams have the same strategy)
seth70liz76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2003, 12:02 AM   #10
Qrusher14242
All Star Starter

I'd like to see options for where the database you want to import from is. So the program can remember where to get it without me typing it in every time.

Also,Make the Find a player a little bit better. Make it kind of like the ratings one, except be able to search: by age, by year or era, by position,origin.

If its possible, have a more comprehensive career leader section. So i can find out who has the alltime OPS,OBP, etc. Having a system like baseballrefence would be wonderful.

Make it easier to get to the retired players list. After a 100 years of simming, it takes a while to get through the HOF and into the list. Also, be able to have a report of retired players and their stats in html would be awesome.

all i can think of right now
Qrusher14242 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2003, 02:33 PM   #11
damnyank
Bat Boy

sabrmetric stats?

I would like to see more modern statistics kept...particularly comparisons to league averages and replacement level players:

Win Shares
Runs Created per 27 outs
Secondary Average
Equivalent Average
Runs Above Replacement(RAR)
Support Neutral Value Added (SNVA)
Support Neutral Wins Above Replacement Player (SNWAR)

Stuff like that from the Bill James / Baseball Prospectus Types
damnyank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2003, 03:52 PM   #12
greenwood
Minors (Single A)

Variables, variables, and more variables
greenwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2003, 05:25 PM   #13
sofla97
Minors (Double A)

Here are a few extras that would be cool-A team and fan happiness meter that if you make too many trades the team would being unhappy and would not play up to standards and attendance would drop as shown on the meters.A box showing the fans favorite players and if you trade them , fans happiness drops.Build a new stadium and fans/players happiness rises but it should cost a certain amount of money each year to pay it off.Just a few ideas that any Marlin fan would appreciate.Oh yeah,if you trade away your whole team after you win the world series then you should be banned from baseball.To make it really realistic when the Mets/Yankees come to ProPlayer have the home team cheer for them.
sofla97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2003, 08:18 PM   #14
Dxgarnett
All Star Reserve

For online leagues' websites, I'd love it if on the "All Players" page, it listed the team name or initials next to the player. That would save a BUNCH of clicking. Just my two cents.
Old 04-30-2003, 09:40 PM   #15
Le Grande Orange
Hall Of Famer

I'd like to see home field advantage get put in. As it stands now, each team's home and away records are completely randomized; there is no appreciable benefit to playing at one's home park (other than for the revenue from attendance). This is rather unrealistic.

There is a definite home field advantage in baseball, and though the value is not huge, it is there. Over 80% of all MLB teams in the 20th century have finished with better home records than road records. You'll never see this in OOTP - the figure will be right around the 50% "random" value, which is far too low. As a result it means each team's home and away record is really meaningless.

The big question is how could this be factored in. Someone else had suggested simply raising the home team's batting a few points and lowering the batting of the visiting team's players a few points; this sounds like a workable solution to me. I'd suggest perhaps also including slightly better fielding for the home team players and slightly poorer fielding for the visiting team, since the home team will be far more familiar with their field's layout than the visiting team would (i.e. foul territory, the way a ball might bounce in the outfield corners, etc.)

The stats overall would still come out right, but now we'd at least get to see realistic looking home and away records each year, which is certainly not the case at present.

This more realistic home performance could have an affect on attendances as well. A mediocre team than can at least win a good number of games for the home town crowd might draw a little better than a similar team that just can't ever seem to win at home, for example.

I think it's time for the home field to get at least a little bit of the credit it deserves.
Le Grande Orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2003, 06:01 AM   #16
Christian
Bat Boy

Managers

I would like to see the game use real managers. Each manager brings to the table his style of play. You can then manage against the legends of the game and the not so greats. It gives the team more of a personality. Of course, I would like to see the game keep managerial records...regular season win-loss, winning percentage, play-off records, teams he has managed, etc.

I believe the game can use the retired player pool for pitching coaches, batting coaches, and minor league managers.
Christian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2003, 02:53 PM   #17
WLight
Major Leagues

Guys, this isn't the Master Wish List thread. If you want your suggestions to get noticed it's more likely that they will be if you put them in the actual Master Wish List thread.
WLight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2003, 01:05 AM   #18
bulldog55
Hall Of Famer

I for one would like to see the game keep track of bunt singles in the player stats.

-From a small-ball National League manager

Being smart, don't always make you popular.
bulldog55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2003, 07:27 AM   #19
Night2000
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally posted by Eugene Church
OOTPB needs to have all of the basic, everyday plays in it.
(I just got OOTP5...so my apology if some of the following have been included).

No one ever drops a throw...drops a foul fly...RF/LF3B/SS never catch foul flies...2B/SS do not have unassisted putouts at second on grounders or unassisted double plays on line drives...C/IF never drops an infield fly...no errors on bunts...rarely is anyone thrown out trying to stretch a single to a double or triple to a home run...no ground rule double bouncing into the stands...no option to play the "infield in" AND "outfield in" when the winning run is on third...can't steal or hit-and-run with 2 strikes...and can't steal home.

Not enough double plays involving the catchers...P or Infielder to home to 1B double plays...and strikeout, followed by out while attempting to steal a base. The game seems to have only 33% of catcher DP's when compared to Major League Baseball.

I play a lot of my games out play-by-play. Adding these basic plays would add to the enjoyment of an already great game.

I would also like more variety in play results text.

Thanks, Henry for starting this thread. I know you will get some great ideas for improving the game.
Totally Agree with this post. I've been saying the PBP needs major improvement since OOTP3. Soon we will be at OOTP6. I still can't believe more features are being added, and the basics are being neglected. Work on the PBP, news stories, stats, and more strategy options, before adding more eye candy and other frivolous features. Then again it seems like a lot of people here like to sim their games, and pretend that OOTP is playing a realistic game of baseball.

This post has the Al Bundy and Homer Simpson stamp of approval!
Night2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2003, 05:19 PM   #20
Crabster
Minors (Triple A)

Quote:
Originally posted by Night2000
Totally Agree with this post. I've been saying the PBP needs major improvement since OOTP3. Soon we will be at OOTP6. I still can't believe more features are being added, and the basics are being neglected. Work on the PBP, news stories, stats, and more strategy options, before adding more eye candy and other frivolous features. Then again it seems like a lot of people here like to sim their games, and pretend that OOTP is playing a realistic game of baseball.
I totally agree...the PbP does need looking at as far as more strategies for certain situations goes and player attitude at the plate could be included ie. attacking/normal/cautious for different matchups etc.
Crabster is offline   Reply With Quote