Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 20 > Perfect Team

Perfect Team Perfect Team 2.0 - The online revolution continues! Battle thousands of PT managers from all over the world and become a legend.

Old 02-16-2020, 11:42 PM   #81
Orcin
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by humboldt1498 View Post
I am curious if people will start to get burnt out because the game is too much money to compete at the highest levels. You can shear a sheep over and over again but you can only skin it once. I personally don't expect to spend any more money on PT going forward. I feel like I've been skinned.
Same here.
Orcin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2020, 12:45 AM   #82
dkgo
Hall Of Famer

I will keep an open mind if it looks like things are improved, but the game as it is now isnt something I want to invest so much time into again.
dkgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2020, 12:54 PM   #83
HRBaker
Hall Of Famer

A couple things that roll past my thoughts... some obvious - some not.

1. Not everyone has $1000 extra to play a game. Thus, "most" of us try and find enjoyment with less money.

2. $100-$500 will make your team better, but not competitive once you reach Diamond & Perfect. Thus, it's one of those situations where you go big or not at all.

3. Gold & Diamond levels should be the target most of us shoot for, and the game "desperately" needs to follow the pyramid design. Bottom line is; if you don't either spend significant money or time, you shouldn't expect to ever see yourself in Perfect.

4. Personally, I likely won't take part in tournaments and card collecting. I've found that the limited resources (time and money) have to be shared among all three branches of the game. I would much prefer to focus on the league feature.

5. I mentioned earlier I will create 3 teams; historical, live, and a great lakes team using players from about 6 cities. I'll start the GL and historical teams in April, and wait till about mid-summer to start my live team. That will give me a fresh start on something when I start getting locked in with my first two teams.

Fingers crossed some of our ideas make it into v21.

HRBaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2020, 01:18 PM   #84
bailey
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by HRBaker View Post

2. $100-$500 will make your team better, but not competitive once you reach Diamond & Perfect. Thus, it's one of those situations where you go big or not at all.
Not sure what you mean by "not competitive". My $100 Hamtramck team won 116 games in perfect last week with 12 golds on the roster and took a 13-time Perfect League champion to game 7 of the LCS and I expect to be in the playoffs most weeks. This team was built by pounding tournaments and completing select collections. Ignoring those, I think, is a mistake. For this reason, I am less inclined to desire a pyramid structure and prefer what we have now as ideal, because I can win a Perfect League ring with this team precisely because the large number of leagues disperses the whale teams.

bailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2020, 01:34 PM   #85
PocketsAintFull
All Star Starter

Yeah I think what’s generally off-limits (with exceptions) without heavier spending is regularly making the Perfect playoffs and potentially winning them, not actually getting to the top level (it’ll take a bit longer of course).
Old 02-17-2020, 01:47 PM   #86
dkgo
Hall Of Famer

Heavy spending or lots of auction time

Which does seem fair and typical of the f2p/p2w model, I just don't think the experience is different enough year over year to be worth doing again.
dkgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2020, 02:03 PM   #87
camonroe
Minors (Single A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkgo View Post
Heavy spending or lots of auction time

Which does seem fair and typical of the f2p/p2w model, I just don't think the experience is different enough year over year to be worth doing again.
I agree. I doubt cards, especially historicals, will be much different next version to justify spending money to have the same team all over again
Old 02-17-2020, 02:05 PM   #88
moalkha
Minors (Triple A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by humboldt1498 View Post
I am curious if people will start to get burnt out because the game is too much money to compete at the highest levels. You can shear a sheep over and over again but you can only skin it once. I personally don't expect to spend any more money on PT going forward. I feel like I've been skinned.

Sent from my LG-H910 using Tapatalk
Same here. Next version will be totally f2p for me.

moalkha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2020, 02:59 PM   #89
HRBaker
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bailey View Post
Not sure what you mean by "not competitive". My $100 Hamtramck team won 116 games in perfect last week with 12 golds on the roster and took a 13-time Perfect League champion to game 7 of the LCS and I expect to be in the playoffs most weeks. This team was built by pounding tournaments and completing select collections. Ignoring those, I think, is a mistake. For this reason, I am less inclined to desire a pyramid structure and prefer what we have now as ideal, because I can win a Perfect League ring with this team precisely because the large number of leagues disperses the whale teams.

The highlighted line is my exact point. $200 (invested in the team below) and an ungodly amount of time in the game netted me an overall 48.9% win percentage. My $200 got me into Perfect by my 6th season, but nothing ever changed after that - even with tournaments and card collections.

Being fair, I'll agree I didn't put enough effort into the team over the past 10 months, but to also be fair, I don't think I could have found any more time available to do that - thus my enjoyment has to be measured in results. I would have been much happier being in more playoffs at the Gold or Diamond level than being an also-ran in Perfect.
Attached Images

Old 02-17-2020, 09:13 PM   #90
Dogberry99
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by camonroe View Post
I agree. I doubt cards, especially historicals, will be much different next version to justify spending money to have the same team all over again
I think part of this will depend on the lessons they took away from the first attempts at collections.

I hope that the truly iconic players, at least those who are synonymous with specific organizations, will have their best cards as top collection rewards. I also kind of hope that those iconic players are reserved for later when the power creep is in full effect. I love my overpowered Willie Randolph, but he's not exactly an icon

Bottom line, with tournaments and collections both being established now, the card roll out road map should be much more deliberate at a minimum.

Primary Team

Collection Rewards (Cards & Packs) F2P Theme Team

Movers F2P Theme and Adam Schlesinger Memorial Team
Dogberry99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2020, 03:20 AM   #91
Marleigh
All Star Reserve

I played tournaments for about a week before getting bored. Both tournaments and collections are in many ways a case of the rich getting richer, collections just became a hoarding minigame

I have 3 teams, my main team who i've spent around $70 on are in their 25th PL season with a worst record of 71-91 (which was a rebuilding year) and a best record of 102-60, with 15 playoff quals and one perfect league series and an overall .562 winning percentage. Generally we get bumped early in the playoffs by one of the big boys. the most disappointing thing i I can tell at the start of any week whether it's worth bothering checking in daily.

Team 2 are a free to play team who regularly bounce between diamond and perfect and with a best record of 80-82 they are pretty inept but good enough to bounce back into perfect after 1 or 2 seasons every time where they spend several seasons toiling away without being bad enough to end the torture. i stopped caring a while ago

Team 3 are also free to play they took the longest to get to0 perfect and got relegated in their 1st season but since getting back they have spent 16 seasons swinging between 62-100 and 84-78, remarkably they won a very unexpected championship after squeezing into the WC spot with an 81-81 record

My takeaway/lessons learned are that its best to concentrate on one team, especially with collections and that I'll never be truly competitive as i don't want to spend the time or money that costs, so then the question becomes what is even the point of playing if i'm not going to be competitive, which will probably lead to me not bothering picking up OOTP21 at all as PT is far too flawed in it's current state

Marleigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2020, 07:27 AM   #92
Lemandria
All Star Reserve

I hope they learn something from perfectflation. You simply need a ceiling somewhere, you can't keep expanding forever on the "perfect perfecter perfectest ULTIMATE PERFECTEST TEAM OF THE MONTY HAUL CENTURY!!one1!!!."

Not only is it a disingenuous and transparent money grab, but even the whales grow bored of it eventually. And it creates that massive. impossibly wide range between the best and worst teams and the historically insane 150 win seasons.

Last edited by Lemandria; 02-18-2020 at 07:33 AM.
Lemandria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2020, 08:31 AM   #93
Abnerdoubleday
Minors (Triple A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemandria View Post
I hope they learn something from perfectflation. You simply need a ceiling somewhere, you can't keep expanding forever on the "perfect perfecter perfectest ULTIMATE PERFECTEST TEAM OF THE MONTY HAUL CENTURY!!one1!!!."

Not only is it a disingenuous and transparent money grab, but even the whales grow bored of it eventually. And it creates that massive. impossibly wide range between the best and worst teams and the historically insane 150 win seasons.

Whether by deliberate design or as a result of power creep, there seems like a lot less randomness than in PT19. The super whales almost always win now.
Abnerdoubleday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2020, 10:21 AM   #94
HRBaker
Hall Of Famer

Here's something to think about...

Instead of basing everything on the playoff series - you win 100 or more games you move up - you drop below .500 you move down. Simple rule, and would slow down all the up and down issues.

Agreed that the pyramid would have to be setup early with a different set of rules - but similar logic.

Last edited by HRBaker; 02-18-2020 at 12:21 PM.
Old 02-18-2020, 12:28 PM   #95
bailey
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by HRBaker View Post
Here's something to think about...

Instead of basing everything on the playoff series - you win 100 or more games you move up - you drop below .500 you move down. Simple rule, and would slow down all the up and down issues.
Maybe, just forget promotion/relegation 1 level at a time.

Perfect -- all teams 120+ wins
Diamond -- `105-119
Gold-- 90-104
Silver -- 75-89
Bronze -- 60-74
Iron -- new players and 0-59 wins

Wide swings at first, but settling down after awhile, I think.

bailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2020, 03:06 PM   #96
Pine Tar
Minors (Double A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bailey View Post
Maybe, just forget promotion/relegation 1 level at a time.

Perfect -- all teams 120+ wins
Diamond -- `105-119
Gold-- 90-104
Silver -- 75-89
Bronze -- 60-74
Iron -- new players and 0-59 wins

Wide swings at first, but settling down after awhile, I think.
Very wide swings all the time. put all the teams who have 120 plus wins and some will end up only winning 50 games and dropped to bronze, there they will win 105 plus and move to diamond. This is likely to happen way into the seasons. It would be interesting to say the least.

Pine Tar

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Sometimes I wonder, whatever happened to all the people I gave directions to ..
Never take a sleeping pill and laxative at the same time.
Pine Tar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2020, 03:27 PM   #97
getalife1798
Minors (Single A)

My 2 cents.

Not sure why we need to play challenge mode to acquire a free pack. Why can't we just log in and get a free prize. Like they have for one of my mobile games. Each day you log in (consecutively), the prize gets better. You can make the prizes be, Day 1 (20 PP), Day 2 (40 PP), Day 3 (100 PP), Day 4 (200 PP), Day 5 (250 PP), Day 6 (Free Regular Pack), and Day Seven (Free Regular Pack). After Day Seven, reset the counter back to Day 1. More PP in the system and pretty much the same amount of packs given out. Just less of a headache for ppl playing challenge mode for no reason.

Also, maybe add a rule that states you can only use a player card in a certain amount of tournaments during a week. Kinda like contracts(?). Say if I have perfect Pedro, he could be used for 5 tournaments during the week. Compare him to an iron card (Luis Sojo) who could be used for 25 times in a week. After each week, the number gets reset back to it's original value. This would add more randomness to tournaments and value to cards that are solid,but rarely used in the mode.

OOTP21

OOTP20

getalife1798 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2020, 03:35 PM   #98
Cowboys3356
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by getalife1798 View Post
My 2 cents.

Not sure why we need to play challenge mode to acquire a free pack. Why can't we just log in and get a free prize. Like they have for one of my mobile games. Each day you log in (consecutively), the prize gets better. You can make the prizes be, Day 1 (20 PP), Day 2 (40 PP), Day 3 (100 PP), Day 4 (200 PP), Day 5 (250 PP), Day 6 (Free Regular Pack), and Day Seven (Free Regular Pack). After Day Seven, reset the counter back to Day 1. More PP in the system and pretty much the same amount of packs given out. Just less of a headache for ppl playing challenge mode for no reason.

Also, maybe add a rule that states you can only use a player card in a certain amount of tournaments during a week. Kinda like contracts(?). Say if I have perfect Pedro, he could be used for 5 tournaments during the week. Compare him to an iron card (Luis Sojo) who could be used for 25 times in a week. After each week, the number gets reset back to it's original value. This would add more randomness to tournaments and value to cards that are solid,but rarely used in the mode.
Those are two very good ideas, hopefully the developers will give them some consideration!
Cowboys3356 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2020, 05:54 PM   #99
Mizzery
Minors (Single A)

Seems too late in the game for new suggestions to make it into the soon to be announced 21 launch, but I hope that there are significant functionality improvements around AH search, card and roster management, tournament lineup setting, etc.

As the game has gotten more complicated with tournaments, collections, live card updates and weekly special edition cards, the mechanics of the game have not kept pace- there is too much time required to manage it all efficiently.

Having said that, as a FTP player, it’s hard for me to get too excited around the debate on pyramid or promotion and relegation mechanics. Every game has a top tier, and there will always be frustration from somebody that despite money and or time investment, they do not win at the highest level. I’m not clear on how anything other than an infinite tier structure will ever make this dissatisfaction go away, given that even with time and money, everyone is still competing against other people with time and money.
Mizzery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2020, 10:56 PM   #100
Dogberry99
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizzery View Post
Having said that, as a FTP player, it’s hard for me to get too excited around the debate on pyramid or promotion and relegation mechanics. Every game has a top tier, and there will always be frustration from somebody that despite money and or time investment, they do not win at the highest level. I’m not clear on how anything other than an infinite tier structure will ever make this dissatisfaction go away, given that even with time and money, everyone is still competing against other people with time and money.
I have similar thoughts. Honestly, on the whole of things, I don't think there's all that much wrong with PT. Other than the UI needing a significant overhaul, what I believe the game needs are more on the order of tweaks than massive game altering changes.

Making the game less punishing for noncompetitive teams can be done in a lot of different small ways (like altering relegation rates, rewards, promotion structure, and so on) that can work with the current model. Collections are similarly close as there are various ways to counter the effects of the dreaded bottlenecks, some of which (tournaments, historical packs, et al) were introduced too late to be a significant factor in this permutation but could seriously change how 21 plays out.

The bottom line is that I think PT suffers from a lot of minor symptoms (and one very major one in the UI) that combine to make it less than the sum of its disparate parts ought to be. A good game is in there somewhere, and I'm hopeful that the lessons learned in 19 and 20 will help the devs tease it out.

Primary Team

Collection Rewards (Cards & Packs) F2P Theme Team

Movers F2P Theme and Adam Schlesinger Memorial Team
Dogberry99 is offline   Reply With Quote