Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 20 > OOTP 20 - New to the Game?

OOTP 20 - New to the Game? If you have basic questions about the the latest version of our game, please come here!

Old 11-02-2019, 12:42 PM   #1
whifflebird
Minors (Rookie Ball)

As a New Player - Where to Begin?

Is there a user-friendly introduction to this game? I love baseball, love statistics, looking for management game more than a MLB Show type game, collected cards as a kid etc., so I'm sure this will be a great fit for me. However, skimming through these threads I see a lot of posts about differences between versions or specific feature questions that make sense for veteran players or those just new to 2020, but where should a brand new player to the franchise begin? There seems like a lot to unpack all at once.

Last edited by whifflebird; 11-02-2019 at 12:56 PM.
whifflebird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2019, 02:45 PM   #2
NoOne
Hall Of Famer

play it a bunch, and don't get caught up in forum groupthink.

once you form some opinions or wants, you can make those changes as you go, or just go with the flow and not worry about causality or shifting dials -- all about personal preference.

there's no wrong way to play. there are false perceptions applied to personal preferences and personal bias, but no wrong way to play. (you can be wrong about the how, but still like it, and what else matters at that point?)
NoOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2019, 12:21 PM   #3
BirdWatcher
Hall Of Famer

My advice is to keep it simple at first. Don't try to launch right into some customized, complicated, multi-faceted project. Those are great and fun but probably better for when the learning curve starts to level off a bit.

Start with something that is close to your heart, something you are already quite familiar with. A time that means something to you, a team you follow or did follow closely, etc.

Mostly be open to failure and learn from it. If you are perfectionist and just starting to play the game, well, that can be worked with (I have some of those tendencies) but you have to keep telling yourself, it's just a game and I'll get better as I play it more. I guess what I am saying is to second what NoOne said about learning by doing and not worrying about how anyone else plays the game (other than to get inspiration for future projects).

And mostly: Have fun. And do it your way.

The Denver Brewers of the W.P. Kinsella League--
The fun starts here(1965-1971: https://forums.ootpdevelopments.com/...d.php?t=289570
And continues here (1972-1976): https://forums.ootpdevelopments.com/...d.php?t=300500
On we go (1977- 1979): https://forums.ootpdevelopments.com/...d.php?t=314601
For ongoing and more random updates on the WPK:https://forums.ootpdevelopments.com/...d.php?t=325147, https://forums.ootpdevelopments.com/...d.php?t=330717
BirdWatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2019, 12:45 PM   #4
Boomcoach
All Star Reserve

If you currently follow baseball, there is no easier way than to take over a team using the QuickStart majors game. Players and teams you know. Take over as GM and manager of a team.Jump in and manage a game or two. let the game run itself for a week or two..make a trade, sign a free agent..see what parts you like and what parts you want to leave alone.

Let's Go Crew
Boomcoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2019, 01:52 PM   #5
Curve Ball Dave
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BirdWatcher View Post
My advice is to keep it simple at first. Don't try to launch right into some customized, complicated, multi-faceted project. Those are great and fun but probably better for when the learning curve starts to level off a bit.

Start with something that is close to your heart, something you are already quite familiar with. A time that means something to you, a team you follow or did follow closely, etc.

I agree 100%. Keep it simple and familiar.

Quote:
And mostly: Have fun. And do it your way.

Repeat a million more times.
Old 11-05-2019, 01:42 AM   #6
actionjackson
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by whifflebird View Post
Is there a user-friendly introduction to this game? I love baseball, love statistics, looking for management game more than a MLB Show type game, collected cards as a kid etc., so I'm sure this will be a great fit for me. However, skimming through these threads I see a lot of posts about differences between versions or specific feature questions that make sense for veteran players or those just new to 2020, but where should a brand new player to the franchise begin? There seems like a lot to unpack all at once.
You know what I did with my first version (OOTPX) for the entire development cycle? I checked out all the various settings in test games to try to figure out which ones were gonna work for me, and which ones I could really do without. BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOORING!!! But I can get a game set up in five minutes exactly the way I want it down to the smallest detail. The point is, there is no "right" way to play or even to not play. There's only your way. You'll find it eventually, but you may have to wander through a whole lot of what you don't want to get there.

There are also video tutorials here. They're from OOTP13, which was out seven years ago, but I would imagine the basic principles are still the same. Another video here (OOTP19: much more recent, but don't ignore the OOTP13 ones as you might pick up something despite them being from a much earlier version of the game) with lots of links to more videos in the column off to the right. Don't be afraid to dive right in and start a simple, stripped down game. Don't worry if you end up having to start over. We've all been there. I can't count how many times I've started and stopped, re-started and stopped, re-started and stopped, lather, rinse, repeat. If you get stuck, there are lots of people here who can help out. This game has a veeery steep learning curve, and you may just have to follow Samuel Beckett's advice:

"Ever Tried.

Ever Failed.

No Matter.

Try Again.

Fail Again.

Fail Better."

Enjoy the journey.

OOTP post re-FG IDs here: https://forums.ootpdevelopments.com/...postcount=3198

My DB which restores Fed Leaguers here: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1ZoN...B2GCcULxt/view

Instructions for the DB: https://forums.ootpdevelopments.com/...07&postcount=9

actionjackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2019, 02:09 PM   #7
cavebutter
All Star Starter

What I did, nearly a million years ago:

I printed out the entire online manual and put it in a binder. I highlighted, annotated, and read it cover to cover before I even purchased the game. I then proceeded to create the most complex, convoluted fictional game I could. I tweaked everything I possibly could. I made terrible decisions. I scrapped league after league. I eventually got better at understanding the game, but never stopped creating leagues, playing them for a little while, getting a more exciting idea, and starting over.

That is one approach. If I had it to do all over again, I would start with one of the Quick Start games that come out of the box and play around with it - getting a feel for the mechanics of the game, the screens, etc. Then, I would try creating my own small league, and try to get a feel for the more advanced features and settings.

Point is, there is a steep learning curve to this game and the key to a long, loving relationship with the game is to find a way to make getting over the curve as fun as possible. I believe that the best way to do that is to start with a simple quick start and just start playing.

Logo Gallery
cavebutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2019, 01:15 PM   #8
ForeverRoyalKC
All Star Starter

Once you get to playing and perusing it, the questions will come in good time. Trust me! And, as some of us like to point out on this forum, kiss your family and say Goodbye to them.

Last edited by ForeverRoyalKC; 11-07-2019 at 01:16 PM.
ForeverRoyalKC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2019, 06:29 PM   #9
Brad K
Hall Of Famer

If you're going to follow the suggestions to play a team from the past you are familiar with, suggest you set to historical rookies yes and player development no
Brad K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2019, 09:09 PM   #10
joefromchicago
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

Wholeheartedly concur. I will also add that, although the game may appear to have an overwhelming amount of options, there are a lot of things that you can just leave to the AI. Feel lost setting up your lineups and pitching rotations? Your coaches can do that for you with the click of a button. Don't know who to draft? Let the AI make those calls. Tempted by a trade offer but concerned that it's not entirely fair? Your assistant GM will offer his opinion.

Play out a season with your favorite team (I'm guessing it's Detroit - play out 1984 and see if you can do better than Sparky). Give the game a test ride and see how all the lights and buttons and gadgets work. By the end of the season, you'll probably be ready and eager to take over and handle all of those decisions yourself.
joefromchicago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2019, 12:45 AM   #11
Pine Tar
Minors (Double A)

I have had this game for a couple months now. and my advice is to start using the game. Don't get caught up in all the details and just try out some of the game menu items. Keep things simple and short at first. Learn to crawl before you walk, learn to walk before you run, learn to run before you race. If you hit a roadblock doing the basics then search on google (or whatever your fav search engine is. Once you get so you understand the basics then you can figure out why the game hates you and makes you lose way more than you should.

The learning curve is steep but learning how to master this game is even steeper. Just when you think you know the answer to something you realize that you didn't even know the question. There are some awesome youtubes out there that will open doors to stuff you had no idea even existed. The difference between juggling 3 balls and juggling 6 balls, a torch and a chain saw all at once.

The more you learn the more you will enjoy this game. Play it to your potential and have fun with it.

(Just joined the forum today)

Pine Tar

Remember RNG always wins when you lose.
Pine Tar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2019, 01:16 PM   #12
blink
Minors (Triple A)

I've been visiting this forum for the last month but never posted until now. I love baseball and so excited to start playing this game. Never played OOTP before but from what I've read and seen around here the game looks incredible. This game is definitely the game for me.

Looking forward to the challenges and the learning curve! Still trying to decide what team I want to start with, leaning towards the Mariners since they have never been to the World Series in franchise history.

I'm sure I will be posting more on here as I get more involved in the game.
blink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2019, 03:16 PM   #13
BirdWatcher
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by blink View Post
I've been visiting this forum for the last month but never posted until now. I love baseball and so excited to start playing this game. Never played OOTP before but from what I've read and seen around here the game looks incredible. This game is definitely the game for me.

Looking forward to the challenges and the learning curve! Still trying to decide what team I want to start with, leaning towards the Mariners since they have never been to the World Series in franchise history.

I'm sure I will be posting more on here as I get more involved in the game.
Rule number 1 is have fun.
No other rules matter if rule number 1 is not followed.
(Welcome to the club. Look forward to hearing about your OOTP journey.)

The Denver Brewers of the W.P. Kinsella League--
The fun starts here(1965-1971: https://forums.ootpdevelopments.com/...d.php?t=289570
And continues here (1972-1976): https://forums.ootpdevelopments.com/...d.php?t=300500
On we go (1977- 1979): https://forums.ootpdevelopments.com/...d.php?t=314601
For ongoing and more random updates on the WPK:https://forums.ootpdevelopments.com/...d.php?t=325147, https://forums.ootpdevelopments.com/...d.php?t=330717
BirdWatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2019, 04:01 PM   #14
blink
Minors (Triple A)

Quote:
Rule number 1 is have fun.
No other rules matter if rule number 1 is not followed.
(Welcome to the club. Look forward to hearing about your OOTP journey.)

Thank you! Your Denver Brewers dynasty has been really enjoyable to follow.
blink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2020, 02:15 AM   #15
Redbirds
Bat Boy

Completely new to the game as well. Is there a way to set up a draft league with 8-10 teams, playing an 80 game schedule and using real players?
Redbirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2020, 06:09 PM   #16
Brad K
Hall Of Famer

Several ways depending on the details of what you want to do.

However with 8 - 10 teams and real players you shouldn't dump 30 teams worth of players into the draft pool for 8 - 10 teams. A few years ago I ran into some DMB guys who did something similar then they complained about star players not playing like stars.
Old 01-03-2020, 08:23 PM   #17
Redbirds
Bat Boy

So, Brad, is that info contained in the help files? And as an aside, the drafts I do are for a solitaire league, and the way I do them, each team winds up with a few stars and a few duds. Thanks for any help.
Redbirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2020, 05:28 PM   #18
Brad K
Hall Of Famer

I know its possible because other people have mentioned doing similar things but not having done it myself I'm short on details. Believe the specific question isn't covered in help as help tends to just refer to the options pages and say pick the ones that work for you.

Thanks for recognizing a league of stars isn't the way to go.

Last edited by Brad K; 01-05-2020 at 01:22 PM.