Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Out of the Park Baseball 25 > OOTP Dynasty Reports

OOTP Dynasty Reports Tell us about the OOTP dynasties you have built!

Old 05-06-2019, 05:30 PM   #81
ayaghmour2
Hall Of Famer

Free Agency Pt. 3

Team Transactions:

1/1: I recieved a supplemental selection for the Red Hawks signing of Eric Thomas. More on the deal in the League Transactions section.

1/4: I signed my likely only Free Agent of the offseason, RHP Jose Acuna to a 5-year, $8,300 contract. The 29-year-old came over from Mexico where he was a star in the semi-pro level years. Acuna has elite stuff, plus control, and a little below average movement. He hits 95-97 consistently with an elite fastball and then can mix in an elite curve. He can give you a little more then an inning at a time if needed, but is best used as a one inning guy. He's rated a 4*, so there's a ton of talent, but in my solid pen he's likely a middle inning guy.

1/11: To avoid releasing Cody Hall, I sent him to the Cincinnati Red Hawks with all his salary retained for LHP Gary Stoffel.

Stoffel, 23, was selected 13th Overall in 1901 by the Red Hawks. He's a multi-inning relief guy who keeps the ball on the ground and throws sidearm, making him extremely devastating on lefties. He has elite stuff with a plus-plus sinker and elite fastball. He has slightly below average control, but plus movement. He's got back of the pen potential, but still a lot of development to go.

1/12: Claimed C Miguel Avila off waivers from Philadelphia. A 6th Round Pick out of UCLA in 1901, the switch hitter has yet to make his debut, and has just 8 appearances in Class A. He's not a very good defender, but the durable 24-year-old has plus power and rarely strikes out.

League Transactions:

1/1: The Cincinnati Red Hawks signed RHP Eric Thomas to a 5-year, $3,080 per year deal, with the final season a 25 start vesting option. Thomas spent last year with us, going 10-9 with a 4.12 ERA and 1.28 WHIP while making exactly 25 starts. He's reached 25 or more every full season except 1897 where he split time in the pen and rotation with Brooklyn. The 6th Overall Pick out of Texas in 1892 by Brooklyn, Thomas has a career record of 93-105 with a 4.73 ERA, 1.37 WHIP, and 1,403 strikeouts. He's a solid starter, but he's still recovering from his torn meniscus, and injuries have hampered him a little in the past.

The Chicago Cardinals also inked LHP Danny Geffre to a 3-year, $9,800 deal. The 27-year-old spent his whole career with Cleveland, who took him out of Texas as well, but 24th Overall in 1897. He was never teammates with Thomas, however. In 155 career games (135 starts), Geffre is 57-54 with a 4.48 ERA, 1.33 WHIP, and 769 strikeouts. is best year was in 1903, where he was 15-8 with a 3.93 ERA (113 ERA+), 1.25 WHIP, and 171 strikeouts in 31 starts.

1/4: The Hall of Fame ballot was released, with RF Penn Myers receiving 80.5% of the vote in his 3rd year. Jonathan Brogden inched closer (67.9%) and Alex Gaddi (58.5%) in his first year was the only other guy over 50.

Myers, who was a mainstay in New York for years, is best known for his record 1885 season where he set the single season average record at .380. He sits 4th Time in average with .334 and 3rd for hits with 2,594. He's the all-time leader for singles (1,858) and triples (140). He's the first (and likely last) German player to ever be elected to the Hall-of-Fame. There are 5 other German players active, but none of them are really good or even in the majors.

1/6: Brooklyn added some superstar power in their quest to repeat, adding CF Danny Boekhout to a 2-year deal, although just 1 is guaranteed. He'll make $3,100 this year, and if he reaches 135 games, he'll make $3,500 the next season. Injuries have been a problem for the star, and he's never played more then 135 games, let alone 115. Either way, a career .299/.370/.616 hitter with 156 homers and 399 RBI's in basically three seasons of play is extremely impressive, and a healthy Bouekhout is one of the best in the league.

1/21: Cincinnati sent RHP Humberto Gonzalez to Phiadelphia for C Alexis Garcia and LF Brian Gruschow.

Gonzalez, 35, is a veteran starting pitcher who's faught both age and injury to still be a useful big league starter. In 345 career starts and 5 relief appearances as a rookie, he's 140-104 with a 3.96 ERA, 1.25 WHIP, and 1,510 strikeouts in 2,243 innings pitched. He spent just one year in Cincy, but was with Washington from 1893 till 1899 where he was moced at the deadline to Boston, where he stayed until 1903.

Garcia, 28, is a dependable starting catcher who never gets hurt. Pitchers love throwing to the former 10th Round Pick, even if he doesn't have the best arm. He spent his whole career with the Freedom, hitting .255/.345/.381 with 26 homers and 97 RBI's in 293 UBL games. Last year was his most complete season, appearing in 107 games with a .245/.348/.403 line as well as 12 homers and 43 RBI's.

Gruschow, 23, tilts the deal in favor of the Red Hawks. A former 2nd Round Pick in 1899, the Philly farm hand profiles as a 4th outfielder, but he's a dependable defender in the outfield with great speed and baserunning ability. He's a well rounded hitter who makes consistent contact and rarely strikes out. He's a lefty, so he could fill the dominate side of a platoon.

1/26: Philly kept making moves, sending LHP Steven Avery to Newark for LHP R.J. Morrell and C Alex Rod.

Avery, 24, was the 18th Overall Pick out of Pepperdine in 1902, and he burst on to the scene quickly with a no-hitter in Class D a little less then three months after being drafted. He's not quite big league ready, but the durable lefty could eventually turn into a #5 in the rotation. He's got plus stuff, with a plus-plus fastball, elite slider, and developing change that could be a plus pitch as well. He doesn't have the best control, but he makes up for it with solid velocity.

Morrell, 25, has been a dependable piece in the Venom pen, coming of a season where his ERA was 2.41 and he struck out 63 in 59.2 innings. In three full seasons, he has a 3.68 ERA, 1.30 WHIP, and has struck out 156 in 134.2 innings. A former 3rd Round Pick in 1900 out of Oral Roberts, Morrell boasts 100 rated stuff with an elite fastball and perfect change. He tosses in the 94-96 range out of a 3/4 armslot, and is a perfect late inning guy.

Rod, 20, seems like a thorw in, but there's no downside in picking up catching depth. A plus defender, Rod signed out of the Dominican Republic with Buffalo on a $216 deal in the 1901 IFA period. He was acquired at the deadline in the Sean Till deal, and will now head to his third organization. Last year was his first in affiliated ball, and he hit .240/.279/.363 with 21 RBI's in 54 games split between four clubs.
Old 05-07-2019, 07:42 PM   #82
ayaghmour2
Hall Of Famer

Preseason

Affiliation Shuffle:

New Bedford Sultans (Class B New England League): Milwaukee to St. Louis

Lincoln Lions (Class B Midwest League): St. Louis to Milwaukee

Portland Wolfpack (Class C Western League): Brooklyn to Independent

Wilkes-Barre Raiders (Class C Pennsylvania League): New Orleans to Brooklyn

Troy Trojans (Class C New York State League): Independent to New Orleans

Paterson Bulldogs (Class D Jersey League): Chicago to Baltimore

Birmingham Bishops (Class D Sun Belt League): Baltimore to Buffalo

Taunton Talons (Class D Massachusetts League): New Orleans to Chicago

League Changes:

Former Chicago Class B team, the St. Paul River Bandits, will move to the National League and become an independently operated franchise.

Washington's Class A team, the Annapolis Senators, will move from the National Leauge to the American League.

New Teams:

A new independent team, the Covington Bombers joined the American League.

The Chicago Cardinals will have a brand new Class B Team joining the Midwest League in Evansville. They will be known as the Blackbirds.

Name Changes:

The Milwaukee Mustangs announced that they would re-brand the team, becoming the Milwaukee Wolves.

Team Transactions:

2/7: I swapped RHP Rico Cardoza and 2B Vinny Guervara to the Lightning for their 6th starter, LHP Ron Howard.

Howard, 32, becomes our #3 in a really strong rotation. The former 2nd Overall Pick out of Arizona State in 1893 (also #20 in 1890) is an extremely durable pitcher who owns a career 105-53 record with a 3.62 ERA, 1.08 WHIP, and 1,561 strikeouts in 1,479.2 innings pitched. The Lightning have used him out of both the pen and rotation the past couple years, but he's still put up 5 or more WAR in 5 of the last 6 seasons, with the lowest 4.7 in 27 starts in 1900. Last year he was an impressive 15-3 with a 2.97 ERA, 1.08 WHIP and 198 strikeouts in 23 starts and 12 relief appearances.

Cardoza, 24, was protected from the Rule-5 Draft, which was smart because there was obviously interest in the youngster. A former 8th Round Pick by the Rebels in 1899, Cardoza is still on a minor league deal, so the Lightning don't have to add him to the 40 like we did. He's a durable multi-inning guy who keeps the ball on the ground.

Guevara, 30, joined on a minor league deal this off season. The Panamanian native originally signed with the Lightning for $164 in the 1891 IFA period, but was traded to the Rebels for SP Matt Nesgoda in 1897. In his big league career with New York and Chicago, he's a .255/.288/.443 hitter with 98 homers and 309 RBI's all while playing great defense.

This deal was about shedding most of Howard's salary and the fact that he's way too good for them to keep full time in the pen.

League Transactions:

2/2: Boston signed RF Ricardo Robledo to a 6-year, $3,260 per year contract. Another guy who wouldn't sign with me, Robledo came over from Cuba, where he spent the past six seasons with the Havana Legends. He was one of the premier players in the CBA, hitting .287/.352/.520 with 119 homers, 110 steals, and 341 RBI's in 622 games. His best season was last, where he hit .327/.420/.618 (162 OPS+) with 28 homers and 73 RBI's in 101 games. He's an excellent defender with excellent speed an all five hitting tools are at least average. He'll get to play out his prime in America, something a lot of international starts never get to do.

2/3: The Newark Venom signed SS Matt Clawson to a 2-year, $3,020 per year deal. A 34-year-old veteran from East Point, Georgia, the fragile Clawson will return to the team he spent 1903 with. In 1,016 big league games with Milwaukee, Boston, Cleveland, Newark, and New York, he has an exactly 100 OPS+, hitting .293/.354/.421 with 66 homers and 417 RBI's. The former 15th Overall Pick by Milwaukee in 1892, Clawson is coming off a great season, hitting .300/.364/.433 with 12 homers and 69 RBI's in 157 games.
Old 05-08-2019, 11:57 PM   #83
ayaghmour2
Hall Of Famer

Spring Training

Team Transactions:

3/10: It's not a move that happened, but I got one of those fun trade proposals when the AI totally disregards talent when they have a big contract. The Lightning, with the 11th highest payroll and #1 budget offered me Jim McNiff (4.5*) for a reliever, Jonathan Hyde (3.5/4.5) in a deal that just doesn't make sense. And to top things off, my stupid Assistant GM doesn't think it's a good deal...

You're telling me I just have to give up an intriguing young reliever for arguably the 2nd best pitcher in the game? That's crazy!

Of course, my intention is not to just mindlessly take advantage of the occasionally imperfect AI, so I'll refrain from snatching a third ace to add to my collection.

3/28: Our outfield starts a man down, with Justin Arrington missing 5 weeks with a strained posterior cruciate[/LIST]ligament. Zack Lawrence, who I'm glad I held on to, will fill in during his absence.

4/1: LF Jorge Rancier was DFA'd. He'd be sent to Grand Rapids if he is not claimed.

League Transactions:

3/3: New York acquired SS Jim Torres from Baltimore for RHP Gene Parsons and SS Edgar Santellanes.

Torres, 27, is a former 4th Round Pick by the Mustangs. He's got a little taste of the big leagues, hitting .203/.277/.358 with 10 homers and 31 RBI's in parts of four seasons with Milwaukee and Baltimore. He doesn't really excited, but he's an average fielder and an average defender, making him a decent option to start.

Parsons, 32, has spent his big league career mostly with the Cajuns, before a year with New York last season. In 548.1 innings, the former 3rd Round pick out of Arizona State has a 5.93 ERA and 1.48 WHIP with 348 strikeouts. While those numbers don't look good, he was a starter most of his career before a much improved season in the pen with the Rebels where his ERA and WHIP were down to 4.24 and 1.35. He's just a long guy, nothing too special.

Santellanes, 20, is the real gem, and it makes this deal seem really stupid on the Rebels side. He's got by far the most potential, and even though he turned 20 on the 28th of February, he's already rated 1.5 overall with 3.5 potetnial. He mixes elite defense with great speed and plus power to profile as one of the most intriguing shortstop prospects in the game. He commanded a large $810 bonus in the 1901 IFA period, and seemed like a great investment until the Rebels seemingly dumped him with Parsons.

For some perspective, I clicked the ever dangerous "what makes this work" button on his trade screen and only two names show up, D.J. Ruhnke (4/4.5) and Jonathan Simmons (4/5).

All they had to give up was a 2.5*...

3/18: A pair of late relief signings today, starting with Buffalo adding RHP Jalen Ramsey on a 1-year, $2,140 contract. Ramsey is one of those talented pitchers that bounces around because he never really reaches his potential. Since 1899 (he debuted in 1895), he's been with New Orleans, Newark, Cleveland, New York, Philly, Boston, and now Buffalo. The former 19th Overall Pick out of Long Beach State, Ramsey owns a 4.69 ERA and 1.36 WHIP with 370 strikeout sin 384 innings.

The second signing was former Charger, LHP Tyler Bienvenu. He joined the Pittsburgh Pilots on a 1-year, $1,900 deal. A 3rd Round Pick by Washington in 1890, Bienvenu owns a 3.87 ERA, 1.32 WHIP, and 580 strikeouts in 562.2 innings as well as 156 saves, mostly coming in his run with Boston that spanned 1894-1902.

3/22: Another relief signing as the New Orleans Cajuns inked Australian righty Martin Heathershaw to a 1-year, $2,060 deal. The 32-year-old has a 4.26 ERA, 1.51 WHIP, and 252 strikeouts in 323.1 innings with St. Louis, Boston, and Cleveland. His 1904 with Cleveland was solid, as he had a 3.65 ERA and 1.36 WHIP in 49.1 innings.

3/25: Another member of the Chargers pen last year, RHP Ben Follmar, inked a 1-year, $2,220 contract with Brooklyn. A 3rd Round Pick out of Woodstock HS in 1893, Follmar had a rough year with us, pushing his career ERA and WHIP up to 5.39 and 1.47. I'm a little surprise he got a big league deal, but there is value in being an Iron Man, and now he gets to join the defending champs.

3/29: Another leftover reliever, RHP Peter Brown, inked a 1-year, $2,000 deal with Baltimore. The 12th Overall Pick by New Orleans in 1895, Brown is coming off a solid year with a 3.55 ERA and 1.39 WHIP in 38 innings with Philly. In his career with the Cajuns and Freedom, he's 39-42 with a 4.67 ERA, 1.52 WHIP, and 468 strikeouts in 180 games (94 starts).

Final Opening Day Roster:

SP Ron Howard (4/4)
SP Nate McCue (3/3)
SP Kevin Miller (4.5/4.5)
SP Matt Puckett (3/3)
SP D.J. Ruhnke (4/4.5)
RP Jose Acuna (4/4)
RP Simon Ellingson (3.5/3.5)
RP Matt Macias (3/3)
RP Josh Fisher (3/3.5)
RP Yu-wei Li (4/4)
RP Juan Londono (4/4)
RP Pat Peters (3.5/4.5)
CL George Mars (5/5)
C Omar Atillio (2/2)
C Jeremy Bell (3/3)
1B Giobbe Capuana (3.5/3.5)
2B Jesus Camargo (3.5/3.5)
3B Ben Etienne (4/4)
3B Steve Hall (1.5/3.5)
SS Seth Bland (2.5/2.5)
SS Damian Salcido (5/5)
LF Jesse Chesley (2.5/2.5)
LF Zack Lawrence (3.5/3.5)
CF Adam Markley (5/5)
CF James Rose (2.5/3.5)
RF Jonathan Simmons (4/5)

Just Justin Arrington (4/4) sits on the DL, and he likely replaces Jesse Chesley when healthy.

For the season, I'm going to give montly updates that touch on team and league transactions as well as a summary on the month and how things are shaping out.
Old 05-09-2019, 06:31 PM   #84
ayaghmour2
Hall Of Famer

April

Here it is! My brand new monthly format! I'm going to try really hard to keep up daily updates, but it may be a little more challenging then before.

Before the season gets under way, the Top 100 Prospect list was published today, with Newark CF Keith Lovejoy claiming the top spot. Lovejoy was taken #1 overall out of San Jose State last draft, and is beloved by OSA. They have him as one of the best prospects I've ever seen, with elite contact, avoid K, and all three speed ratings. He's got plus-plus homer and gap power with a plus eye. He's a decent defender, and has the range for center.

We had one representative in the Top 10, the recently acquired 3B Steve Hall, who checks in at #5. Also a former #1 overall pick, Hall made the big league club and since he has no options, will stay. He's an elite defender at the hot corner and plus at short. He's a plus-plus contact and gap power hitter with a solid eye to make up for low power. He still strikes out a lot, but he should eventually draw a decent amount of walks.

Our system ranks 12th, with just CF's Mark Pinette (59th) and James Rose (72nd) also in the top 100. 2B Juan Villanueva (103rd) and CF Simone Henckell (105th) just missed the cut and P/OF Evan Francis (149th) and SP Matt Reyes (176th) finish off the top 200.

April Record: 19-5!
Team Record: 19-5 (1st, 2 GA)

Team News and Transactions:
4/4: As expected, Jorge Rancier cleared waivers and was outrighted to Class A Grand Rapids.

4/9: 3B Ben Etienne suffered dehydration, and will be held out of our next two games. The slugger had a rough first couple games, hitting just .105/.1/50/.316 with a homer and 2 RBI's.

4/12: Giobbe Capuana suffered a calf sprain, and will hit the 10-Day DL. 2B Mike Legg was recalled from Grand Rapids to replace him. Jesus Camargo would man first, with Legg sliding in at second.

We didn't need him today, as Kevin Miller tossed a 4-hit shutout as we crushed the Chicago Cardinals 10-0.

4/19: Despite a thirty plus minute rain delay in the 9th, new ace Kevin Miller tossed a beautiful 3-hit shutout as we edged the Lightning and all-world pitcher Bobby Brosius in a 1-0 victory to improve to 12-3 on the season. St. Louis is 10-6, and 2.5 games behind us, but a game ahead of Cincy.

4/21: Jesus Camargo was diagnosed with a knee contusion after leaving yesterday's game. It's not serious, as he won't require a DL stint, but I'd monitor his play time.

4/23: Giobbe Capuana returned to the big league club after his DL stint ended, sending the red hot Mike Legg (.375/.394/.500) to Grand Rapids just because he has options left. Capuana will reclaim first, with Camargo shifting back to his preferred second base.

League News and Transactions:
4/7: Sadness swept all around the ABL as St. Louis Lightning owner Chris Leggett passed away of natural causes. His son, Marshall, has been highly involved in the club as his father has aged, and is likely going to become the new owner. He's supposedly controlling, but tolerant.

4/9: Lot's of highlights across the league today. Former Charger Jason Campbell struck out 17 in 7.1 innings as the Brooklyn Bearcats topped the Cleveland Cyclones 5-1.

New Orleans 2B Carlos Licea went 5-for-5 in an 11-10 win over Milwaukee. His teammate, CF Antonio Mendez went 5-for-6.

4/10: St. Louis LF Jesus Zamora (.346, 4 HR, 10 RBI) and Brooklyn LF Lyle Raymod (.526, 2 HR, 8 RBI, 6 R) took home Player of the Week.

Power Rankings: 2nd, 5-1: (158.0, ++)

4/11: Chicago SP Danny Geffre tossed a 9-hit shutout in a 9-0 win over Milwaukee.

4/12: Rookie RF Howie Gainer launched 3 homers in a 12-3 Buffalo win over Brooklyn. A former 4th Round Pick by Philadelphia in 1901, Gainer has 7 homers in 7 games to start the season.

Philadelphia CF Jon Alvarado may not have clubbed 3 homers, but he was 3-for-5 including his 300th career home run. The 32-year-old from Mexico has spent his entire career with Philly, hitting .307/.401/.591 (152 OPS+) with 183 steals and 1,090 RBI's, all while playing elite defense in the outfield. An 8-Time Gold Glover and 2-Time Platinum Stick Winner, the 32-year-old has a ton of hardware in his collection.

4/13: Buffalo SP Greg England will miss the rest of the season after tearing his labrum. The 4th Overall Pick by Pittsburgh in 1897, injuries have been tough on "Looney Tunes" who's managed just 9 big league innings in parts of four seasons. He lasted just 2.1 innings in his only start, allowing 5 hits, a run, and a walk.

Rebels RHP Jose Soto will also miss the rest of the season with a torn rotator cuff. The 25-year-old rookie tossed just 1.2 innings in his debut season, which is more then expected from the former 13th Round pick by Baltimore in 1898. He joined the Rebels on a minor league deal in the offseason, and made the team out of spring.

His teammate, RHP Ethan Turberville picked up his first career win in his first career start, tossing a 1-hit shutout in a 4-0 win over Cincinnati.

4/14: Washington SP Marcos Hernandez struck out 15 in a 4-2 win over St. Louis.

4/16: Philadelphia SP Billy Hawkins tossed a 3-hit shutout with 9 strikeouts in a 4-0 win over Brooklyn.

4/17: St. Louis LF Jesus Zamora (.381, 4 HR, 9 RBI's) and Boston RF Ricardo Robledo (.520, 5 HR, 8 RBI's) were named Players of the Week.

Power Rankings: 1st, 10-2: (161.0, +)

4/19: It was a day for shutouts, as along with the Miller shutout, Brooklyn SP Franklin Torres and Philly SP Josh Foster tossed shutouts of their own. Torres allowed just 4 hits in his own 1-0 win over Boston while Foster struck out 10 in a 6-0 win over state rival Pittsburgh.

4/20: A late free agent signing as Cincy inked LHP Greguorio Calandrini to a 1-year, $1,780 contract. A long time starter with Baltimore, he eventually converted to the pen and then spent last season with Brooklyn, putting up his first ever negative WAR season. In 350 career games (210 starts) he's 96-36 with 36 saves to go with a 3.71 ERA, 1.14 WHIP, and 1,512 strikeouts in 1,561.1 innings.

4/21: More shutouts with Cleveland SP Derrick Briggs tossing a 3-hit shutout with 11 strikeouts against Newark as the Cyclones won 4-0. Briggs, a late developing righty, is 29 and in just his second full season, although it's been near perfect for the former 2nd Round Pick. He's 4-0 with a 0.58 ERA, 1.06 WHIP, and 27 strikeouts in 4 starts. Walks are a problem for him, as he lead the NL in walks with 108.

4/23: Big blow to the Red Hawks, as CL Paul Monroe will miss the rest of the season with a ruptured ulnar collateral ligament. The former 7th Overall Pick had a nice 1.13 ERA and 0.75 WHIP with 5 saves and 11 strikeouts in 8 innings. It's a big blow for the 34-year-old, although this is the only injury of his long career that will last more then a month.

4/24: Pair of shutouts with St. Louis' Bobby Brosius tossing a 6-hit shutout with 14 strikeouts in a 3-0 win over the Cardinals. Pilots lefty Jake Lear tossed a 6-hitter in an 8-0 win over the Cavalry.

4/25: Boston SS Raul Salinas launched 3 homers in a 9-1 win over Buffalo. Salinas didn't have a homer entering the game, and after a career high 19 in 1902, the most he's hit in a season is 13.

4/26: The Boston Patriots will be without LHP Preston Hildenbrand for the rest of the season with bone chips in his elbow. The Patriots tried trading me him all offseason, but I hate fragile starters (even if they're studs like him), and I respectfully declined at least 8 offers. He had a great start to the season, 1-1 with a 2.01 ERA and 0.85 WHIP with 28 strikeouts in 22.1 innings.

4/28: Milwaukee (now the Wolves!) CF Brad Marino launched three homers in a 5-4 loss to Cincinnati. He's definitely lost a step with all the injuries he's dealt with, but the 30-year-old with a 50-year-olds body is still hitting .400/.442/.825 with 5 homers, 3 steals, and 8 RBI's.

4/29: Baltimore SP Roger Jacobson will miss the rest of the season after bone chips in his elbow. The 26-year-old was just called up from Class A Allegheny, and went 5.2 innings with 2 runs, a walk, and 5 strikeouts in his only start this season.

Philadelphia SP Josh Foster tossed a 6-hit shutout with 12 strikeouts in a 5-0 win over Boston. Buffalo 2B John McKenzie went 5-for-5 in an 11-7 win over Newark.

End of the Month Recap:

Wow! I knew we were good, but 19-5 good! Best record in baseball by far, with St. Louis at 18-8 two full games behind us. The team, for the most part, as looked really good, as we are first in most pitching categories and a few hitting categories. What's more insane is we only had 7 home games, and were just 4-3. We're 15-2 on the road! Now while I don't expect to maintain a .882 win percentage on the road, I do expect our home win percentage to improve or at least hover in the .600 range.

The Good:

1. Starting Pitching: Whether it's a mix of strict, albeit still high, pitch counts, a new manager, or batters always being rusty in the early season, the starters have been flat out dominant. Now, I expected to have dominate starting pitching, it's one of my favorite things there is, but I did not expect my *worse* starter's ERA to be 2.77 (Ron Howard). D.J. Ruhnke (5-1, 1.53 ERA, 0.81 WHIP, 45 K) has been near unhittable, Kevin Miller (4-1, 2.30 ERA, 1.13 WHIP, 38 K) was as advertised, and Nate McCue (2-0, 1.50 ERA, 0.83 WHIP, 30 K) and Matt Puckett (3-0, 0.84 ERA, 1.13 WHIP, 20 K) have been stellar when called upon. And Ron Howard, despite the "high" ERA has been just as dominate (3-1, 2.77 ERA, 0.82 WHIP, 45 K). Obviously, there will be some regression, but if the staff stays healthy, we should cruise to the playoffs.

2. Power: We're not first in homers, but a lot of that can be accounted to Capuana missing some time and Arrington not playing. Jonathan Simmons (9 HR and 24 RBI's) sits second in the AL behind just Jesus Zamora of the Lightning who's dominating the triple crown categories, hitting .369 with 13 homers and 35 RBI's. In just 15 games, the now "fragile" Capuana has launched 7 homers and has an insane .392/.537/.922 line. This is the reigning homer and RBI leader from last year, who slugged 55 and 127 respectively. Adam Markley (7), Ben Etienne (5), and Zack Lawrence (5) all have at least 5 as well, which gives for a pace around 35 for the season. I doubt Lawrence will get the play time for that, but we should have multiple 30+ homer hitters on the team come playoffs.

3. Zack Lawrence: He gets a whole mention for just himself, as I couldn't be more pleased with the 28-year-old. Acquired to start last year, the acquisition of Adam Markey pushed him to a 4th outfield role, and he embraced it. Cue a Justin Arrington injury before the season, and Lawrence effortlessly slotted into a position, left field, that he's never played in affiliated ball. Of course, it's not too hard for the 1903 Gold Glove winner in center field (0 errors, 1 assist, +1.5 ZR), but Arrington's production was not missed, as he slugged .333/.387/.500 with 5 homers, 3 steals, and 13 RBI's in 23 starts. With Arrington's return time in the air, it'll hard to send him back to the bench, but he's an awesome late inning replacement that can spark a late rally.

The Bad:

1. The Bullpen: Maybe it's because the rotation has been so good that the pen hasn't really been used, but the back two in George Mars and Juan Londono have not been up to par. Mars has a 5.06 ERA and 1.22 WHIP (5-for-6 in saves) in 10.2 innings, but I expect him to bounce back. Londono got just 3 innings in 5 games, allowing 3 hits and 3 runs with 4 strikeouts. Again, not much use here, but there isn't too much wrong with a 19-5 start. I guess I shouldn't complain, as a 3.48 ERA is the best for bullpens, but I expect the runs for Pat Peters (0.00 ERA, 4 IP) and Josh Fisher (2.25 ERA, 8 IP) not Londono and Mars.

2. Ben Etienne: This probably should be first, but man he's been awful. After hitting .275/.316/.590 with 19 homers and 46 RBI's in 58 games after his trade, I expected him to pick right back up this year. I was dead wrong, as the 31-year-old slashing a pitiful .167/.293/.397 (76 OPS+) which is no where near his .279/.339/.571 (130 OPS+) career line. He does have 5 homers and 10 RBI's, but he has more strikeouts then hits (18 to 13) and has done poorly at third (.905 PCT, -1.2 ZR). I'm on the hook for half his salary till 1910, so I'm hoping this is a slow start, not a new norm.

3. The Bench: This was almost Jonathan Simmons, who was hitting just .197 a little over a week ago, but he got red hot to finish April strong and end with a really good .261/.370/.576 line with 9 homers and 24 RBI's which boosted his OPS a full 200 points. Seth Bland is the only replacement with an OPS+ over 85, and he's at just 100. Jesse Chesley is all the way down to -53, going 1-for-11 in 7 games with James Rose hitting just 3-for-17 with a pair of walks. Steve Hall has the most bench (other then the backup C Omar Atillo), but he's slashed just .136/.259/.182 (18 OPS+) with just a single RBI. James Rose has at least provided great defense off the bench in 16 appearances, but he's slashing just .176/.263/.471, albeit with a homer and 6 RBI's. Again, if the bench is one of your three problems, you know you had a good month.

Stories for May:

1. Can Ben Etienne wake up?: As mentioned earlier, it's been a tough month for the 1901 AL MVP who was brought over to push our offense over the edge. He's dropped down to 6th in the lineup, and likely falls even farther when/if Justin Arrington returns.

2. Is the 30/20 streak over?: Justin Arrington has never played less then 130 games since becoming a regular, and his only non 30/20 season was in just 134 games as a rookie in 1898 where he took home Rookie of the Year despite an underwhelming performance (he was good, just not really that good). With a whole month already missed and his diagnosis now "unknown" for a return, will he be able to keep his 6 year streak up?

3. How dominate is the rotation?: While not even the craziest Charger fan (myself of course) thinks that we can maintain our otherworldly start to the season, it will be interesting to see if we can keep up with the just as dominate Lightning rotation. Of course, we play them a ton this year, but we did sweep them in St. Louis the only time we've met so far. I expect to see them in October, so at least one of Nate McCue or Matt Puckett has to at least match their 4th ace Eddie Long.
Attached Images
Image Image Image Image 
Old 05-11-2019, 05:06 PM   #85
ayaghmour2
Hall Of Famer

May

Month Record: 21-7
Team Record: 40-12: (1st, 9 GA)

Team News and Transactions:
5/5: He nearly passed his pitch count, but LHP D.J. Ruhnke was able to finish off a 5-hit, 10 strikeout 1-0 shutout of the New Orleans Cajuns to lower his ERA to just 1.29 to start the year.

5/6: Nate McCue was suspended for 6 games after causing a bench clearing brawl when he hit Bill Espinoza in the first inning. Why Espinoza charged the mound, I have no clue, but now I will have to turn to Josh Fisher (who tossed 4.1 innings of relief) for McCue's spot in the rotation.

5/7: He's finally healthy, so Justin Arrington began a rehab assignment in Class C Bay City. It's probably going to be a lengthy rehab assignment, as he hasn't played in over a month.

5/8: Against my better judgement, I extended the durable righty Matt Puckett to a 4-year, $13,900 contract with the final two seasons a pair of 160 innings pitched vesting options. He's old, 33, but has shown no sign of declined while consistently starting 30 or more games. Since he's our #5, I don't really see him reaching 30 this year (just 31 last season), but he's a dependable guy at the back of the rotation who's been great in his 4 starts this year, going 4-0 with a 2.39 ERA, 1.37 WHIP, and 26 strikeouts in 26.1 innings. Worst case, he flunks out of the rotation and I only have to worry about him for two years after this. Best case, he's still a dependable rotation piece and I got a bargain.

He pitched after the extension was official, and tossed 6.2 scoreless innings with 4 hits, a walk, and 11 strikeouts. Yes, it's one start, but it looks like the right decision!

5/10: Giobbe Capuana broke the team record for runs in a game, with 4, as we crushed the Red Hawks 16-4. Now 28-6, we've rattled off 9 straight wins and 14 of 15.

5/12: After a 5 game rehab assignment, Justin Arrington returned to the big league club, sending Jesse Chesley to Class A Grand Rapids.

5/18: Not only did our 14 game win streak end in a 6-2 loss to the Lightning, but Yu-wei Li left with a mild abdominal strain, and will hit the 10-Day DL. Jonathan Hyde was brought up from Grand Rapids to replace him.

5/24: The league must hate Nate McCue, or at least take exception to his plunking, as he received another 6 game suspension, this time for plunking opposing starter Frank Hillman in the 1st inning of a 15-2 blow out that we found ourselves on the short side of.

5/29: Yu-wei Li returned from the DL, sending Pat Peters to Grand Rapids. The 26-year-old allowed 10 hits and 8 runs with 5 walks and 8 strikeouts in 9 innings.

League News and Transactions:
5/1: With the start of the month a Monday, we got Players of the Week first in Cincinnati 2B Carlos Ruiz (.389, 4 HR, 14 RBI's) and Newark LF Danny Telleria (.444, 2 HR, 7 RBI).

St. Louis LF Jesus Zamora (.369, 13 HR, 35 RBI's) and Baltimore CF Jonathan Nagy (.333, 10 HR, 23 RBI's) were Batters of the Month. Our very own SP D.J. Ruhnke (5-1, 1.53 ERA, 52 K's) and CLE SP Derrick Briggs (5-0, 1.67 ERA, 39 K) were Pitchers of the Month. New York CF Justin MacFarland (.265, 2 HR, 10 RBI's) and Newark 1B Nick Wade (.345, 8 HR, 23 RBI's) were Rookies of the Month.

5/30: Kevin Miller out-dueled Bobby Brosius, and tossed a 5-hit shutout in a 5-0 win over the Lightning.

Power Rankings: 1st, 19-5: (153.5, o)

5/2: Lightning SP Mike Wilson tossed a 4-hit shutout in a 4-0 win over the Rebels.

5/3: Baltimore will be without SP Zachary Jones for the rest of the season with a torn flexor tendon. He was 4-0, but with a 5.09 ERA and 1.56 WHIP to go with 53 strikeouts in 6 starts.

5/4: Washington SP Marcos Hernandez tossed a 4-hit shutout with 9 punchouts in a 2-0 win over Cincy.

5/5: Draft pool was released today! Here's who OSA ranks as the Top 10 available (in no particular order)!

1. RHP Jason Black (2/3.5): 5th Round Pick in 1902 by the Red Hawks
2. RHP Dan Estes (2.5/3): 1st Round (Supplemental) Pick in 1904 by St. Louis
3. RHP Steve Hatton (2/3)
4. RHP Elliot Strohmeier (3/3)
5. RHP Chris Janosik (3.5/4)
6. RHP Juan Fernandez (1.5/3): 5th Round Pick in 1902 by New Orleans
7. SS Mike Perez (4/4): 4th Round Pick in 1902 by Philadelphia
8. RHP Dustin Baronian (3/4): 1st Round Pick in 1904 by Philadelphia
9. RHP Sean McKee (2.5/4): 7th Round Pick in 1902 by Chicago
10. RHP Matt Keaton (3.5/4.5): 2nd Round Pick in 1904 by Philadelphia

Looking at these rankings, you'd think it's a very heavy pitching class, which it is, but there are a few decent hitters that my scout that aren't listed. It's not very top heavy, with just 7 3.5* or better players, with two being relievers, one shortstop (Perez), and the rest starters. I'm hoping I can grab a 3* with my first pick, but we may be stuck in the 2.5* range. If I can get someone like Strohemeier or Baronian, I'd be very happy.

Buffalo SP Jake Doherty tossed a 4-hit shutout in a 3-0 win over Brooklyn.

5/8: MIL 2B Carlos Licea (.478, 2 HR, 5 RBI's) and PHI 1B Gabe Solils (.444, 6 HR, 12 RBI's) took home Players of the Week.

Power Rankings: 1st, 25-6: (159.2, o)

5/10: Milwaukee's Yeong-shin Kim struck out 16 complete game as the Grizzlies topped the Wildcats 12-1.

5/11: Brooklyn's Franklin Torres tossed a 4-hit shutout in a 10-0 win over Newark.

5/14: Newark will be without RHP Tony Maldonado for the rest of the season with a torn flexor tendon in his elbow. The 32-year-old was in his 11th season, and first with the venom. In 6 starts, he was 4-1 with a 3.23 ERA, 1.18 WHIP, and 36 strikeouts.

5/15: St. Louis RF Julio Montes (.391, 5 HR, 11 RBI's) and Philadelphia LF Jim Moran (.375, 4 HR, 8 RBI's) were named Players of the Week.

Power Rankings: 1st, 32-6 (174.6, o)

5/16: Brooklyn SP Franklin Torres tossed a 2-hit shutout of Boston.

5/17: 41-year-old veteran righty Travis Adams tossed a 2-hit shutout in a 10-0 Cyclones win over the Venom. The former #1 overall selection is having a rough start to the season, as this was just his first win in 8 starts. He's 1-6 with a 5.36 ERA, 1.49 WHIP, and just 33 strikeouts in 50.1 innings.

5/21: Brooklyn 2B Marcos Carrasquillo launched three homers in an 8-3 win over Cleveland.

5/22: For the second straight week, St. Louis RF Julio Montes (.353, 3 HR, 8 RBI's) took home Player of the Week. In the NL, it was Pittsburgh RF Jose Granado (.429, 4 HR, 7 RBI's).

Power Rankings: 1st, 35-7: (160.0, o)

Pittsburgh SP Richard Aguilar tossed a 4-hit shutout with 10 strikeouts in a 7-0 win over Baltimore.

5/24: Big day at the plate for Cavalry teammates Jose Molina and Phil Davis. In the 20-4 domination of the Venom, both were 5-for-6.

5/26: A pair of shutouts today, starting with Buffalo lefty Mark Mitchell tossing a 5-hit shutout in a 2-0 win over the Venom. Mitchells truck out just 1 batter. Boston's Jason Heany tossed a 3-hit shutout in a 9-0 win over first place Philadelphia. The win pushed the Patriots out of last, as they sit at 18-29, 10 games behind the 29-19 Freedom and Bearcats.

5/27: Baltimore RF Shane Peterson went 5-for-5 in a 20-8 win over Boston.

5/28: Former Charger Brett Olsen got his 2,000th career hit as the Red Hawks fell to the Rebels 8-7. The 36-year-old owns a career .294/.374/.546 slash with 428 homers and 1,246 RBI's in 1,937 career games. The former 16th Overall Pick by Brooklyn has appeared in big league games with the Bearcats, Freedom, Chargers, and Red Hawks.

5/29: Our 1B Giobbe Capuana (.435, 4 HR, 8 RBI's) and Philadelphia RF Ben Donaldson (.520, 5 HR, 10 RBI's) took home Player of the Week honors.

The first fan vote update was released, and here's how our guys stack up:

C Jeremy Bell: (3rd, 13,132)
1B Giobbe Capuana: (1st, 24,976)
3B Ben Etienne (2nd, 17,121)
SS Damian Salcido (3rd, 14,450)
LF Zack Lawrence (2nd, 16,417)
CF Adam Markey (1st, 22,979)
RF Jonathan Simmons (3rd, 16,597)
SP D.J. Ruhnke (3rd, 22,568)
SP Kevin Miller (4th, 22,055)
SP Ron Howard (5th, 20,093)

Power Rankings: 1st, 37-12: (134.9, o)

Summary: Even though we dropped the first game of May, we burst out of the gate with an impressive 14 game win streak and broke free from the pack. It came to a hault on the 18th after starting on the 2nd, and then we ran into a brick wall in the New York Rebels from the 23rd-26th. Somehow, the awful Rebels came in to Detroit and had their way with us, after we had out way with every other team. Being at home continues to be our "weakness" as we're just 18-8 as opposed to 22-4 on the road. We did finish the month with four wins, so we should be able to ride into June hot!

The Good:

1. Ben Etienne: After being less then useless in April, Ben Etienne was a critical part of our huge win streak. He hit .303/.378/.525 with 5 homers and 16 RBI's to boost his season totals to .243/.340/.469 with 10 homers and 26 RBI's. The 31-year-olds rough start seems to be behind him, and he should continue to rake like the established star he's known to be.

2. Justin Arrington is alright: I limited his time to start his return, but he's absolutely raked in limited playing time. In just 41 at bats, he's launched 8 homers and driven in 15 with a pair of steals. He's slashing .268/.362/.854 which is good for an insane 198 OPS+. He's got four months to hit 22 homers and steal 18 bases to keep up his 30/20 streak, so hopefully he can continue to hit the ball out of the park.

3. The Starting Pitching is still strong: I wanted to highlight Giobbe Capuana's impressive May (.313/.426/.740, 12 HR, 26 RBI's), but he always rakes. Matt Puckett generally doesn't go 5-1 with a 3.18 ERA, 1.03 WHIP, and 43 strikeouts in 6 starts. Miller was even better, 5-1 with a 1.27 ERA, 0.87 WHIP, and 45 starts in 6 starts. Ruhnke was 4-1 with a 2.68 ERA, 0.84 WHIP, and 53 punchouts in 5 of his starts. Ron Howard improved on his April, going 3-1 with a 2.59 ERA, 1.01 WHIP, and 44 strikeouts in 41.2 innings. The lone man out was McCue, who got suspended twice (didn't miss a start) and left his latest start with an injury waiting diagnosis. In his 5 starts, he has a 7.45 ERA, 1.19 WHIP, and 16 strikeouts, but it only spans 19.1 innings. Should he miss much time, Josh Fisher will slide in, and he's been decent out of the pen. In 15 appearances, he's gone 23 innings with a 2.35 ERA, 1.52 WHIP, and 17 strikeouts.

The Bad:

1. The New York Rebels: After they finished off a four game sweep of us in Detroit, the then 22-26 Rebels finished off a perfect May against us, going 5-0. Before our 14 game win streak, the loss was, to you guessed it, the Rebels! Yes, they may be double digit games behind us, but they are the biggest thorn in our side...

2. Jeremy Bell: After a productive April where he hit .373/.472/.627 with 3 homers and 12 RBI's, May was a disappointment for the impending free agent. He hit a tiny .179/.247/.282 with just 2 homers and 7 RBI's. With age, he's become more fragile, and I'm not sure I want to commit 5 years to him. The only thing that makes it not to worrisome is that even if he drops in talent, he wouldn't be too expensive for a backup catcher, as his demands aren't too high.

3. Steve Hall's development: It sucks that the former #1 overall pick is out of options, as there isn't any playing time for him. He got into just 12 games, tallying 20 at-bats, leading to a .200/.238/.400 line. He did his 2nd big league homer, but he's now up to 15 strikeouts and his OPS+ is just 39. Hall might end up trade bait at the deadline, but hopefully his value won't drop too much.

Stories for June:

1. The AL is a two man race: Despite hopping over .500 to 27-26, the third place Red Hawks spent most of the month under .500 and don't really pose a threat to the two likely postseason teams, us and the Lightning. We have a nice 9 game lead over the 32-22 Lightning, and a good month for us and a bad for the Red Hawks can really solidify a playoff spot early.

2. Can the power surge continue?: We jumped ip to #1 in the AL in homers with 92 for the season. Markley (13), Simmons (14), Capuana (19), and Etienne (10) all reached double digits with Arrington (8), Salcido (8), and Lawrence (9) not too far behind. A lot of these homers are coming with men on base as well, as Simmons sits second in the league with 41 RBI's and Capuana (39) and Markey (37) not too far behind. Every starter is in double digits, with Zack Lawrence at 30 as well.

3. What to do with the draft?: Even though it takes place on the 5th, the draft recap will be the next write up. Some new names jumped up the draft list, with SP's Chris Janosik (3.5), Matt Keaton (3.5), and Ryan O'Beirne (3.5) flashing top of the rotation potential. The second tier in Dustin Baronian (3), Ethan Hinshaw (3), and Elliot Strohmeier (3) looks really good as well. SS Mike Perez (4.5) sits as the surefire #1 currently with CF Nick Myrick (3.5) and 1B Nate Carlisle (3) looking like the only real good bats. Picking 12th, I don't expect any of these guys to fall, and I may have to take a reach pick like righty junior relievers in David Knisley (4.5) and Andy Starkweather (4.5).
Attached Images
Image Image Image Image 

Last edited by ayaghmour2; 05-11-2019 at 05:07 PM.
ayaghmour2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2019, 02:17 PM   #86
ayaghmour2
Hall Of Famer

Amateur Draft

Happy Draft Day! The Buffalo Calvary kicked things off by grabbing RHP Matt Keaton #1 overall. A 2nd Round Selection by Philadelphia last year as a Junior at Miami FL, he decided to go back for his senior season, and he took home NCAA Pitcher of the Year, going 10-1 with a 1.83 ERA, 0.96 WHIP, and 128 strikeouts in 113.1 innings. He's got ace potential, with plus stuff and movement as well as elite control. He's 22 and mostly developed, which makes him the safe pick. He can graze triple digits with his sinker which generates an extreme amount of groundballs. It's not the pick I would've made, Mike Perez went 3rd, but it's a really good pick.

1st Round, 12th Overall: SP Ethan Hinshaw (3.5): I'm a little worried he fell to me, as I thought he was one of the best players in the class, but no complaints in a potential top of the rotation starter. Selected out of Kempsville in Virginia Beach, Hinshaw was Virginia Player of the Year, striking out 106 in just 64 innings with a 0.98 ERA and 0.73 WHIP. He's got just average movement, but plus-plus stuff and control. He sits in the 93-95 MPH range and mixes together an intriguing four pitch arsenal. He's got a plus-plus fastball, elite curve, plus change, and plus-plus forkball. I'd say he instantly becomes our best prospect, as most of the top level guys are relievers.

1st Round, 23rd Overall: SP Blaine Kean (2.5): The talent really fell off, but this is our replacement for Eric Thomas signing away. Undrafted out of a small Canadian high school, he went to Minnesota and was a force for the Golden Gophers, going 11-2 with a 2.38 ERA, 1.07 WHIP, and 146 strikeouts in 19 starts. He's a high floor low ceiling guy, with plus stuff and average movement and control. He lights up the radar gun with a 96-98 MPH plus fastball to go with an elite slider and plus-plus change. I think he can reach Thomas' level, and he's a good option for a rotation spot in a few years.

1st Round, 29th Overall: SS Antonio Cortez (2.5): This was a rollover pick from last years draft, and Cortez will sign. He's a high schooler from Colorado who likely ends up at third with his elite arm and low error ability. He's got plus contact at the plate and is a plus base runner and stealer. He's got average pop, which is good for a shortstop, but may be a little weak at third. Coaches love his makeup, so this is the opposite of Kean, high ceiling low floor.

2nd Round, 33rd Overall: 2B Adan Brunn (3): We got this pick from the Thomas signing as well, but he says he's impossible to sign. I'm throwing him a huge bonus to skip his college commitment. He's not a great defender, but he's got plus range and is smooth on the double play turns, but he's prone to fielding and throwing errors. He's got good speed and will pick up a few steals, but his value comes from the bat. He's got great gap and home run power. He'll strike out, but he makes enough contact and doesn't always swing at bad pitches.

2nd Round, 42nd Overall: C Nate Stubbs (2.5): The talent is running low, so a fringe starter catcher (OSA hates him), Stubbs isn't an ideal 2nd Round Pick. He's got decent potential as a game caller with a plus arm to go with plus power at the plate. He doesn't always make too much contact, but most catchers don't anyways. He's another guy with a good makeup, so at least he has that going for him.

3rd Round, 60th Overall: RP Brandon Reyes (2.5): Last 2.5* who will sign on the board, but at least he's kind've a two-way player. Focusing on him as a pitcher, he's got plus-plus stuff with plus control, but the movement really isn't there. He throws 93-95 with an elite fastball and plus-plus curve to go with a 1/1 rated change that I'd love for him to drop. Granted, that 1/1 might turn into a 100/100, so who knows!

3rd Round, 64th Overall: SP Aaron Denson (2): Somehow me and my scout both agreed on a guy, who isn't really good, but probably best available. A senior at Artesia HS in Lakewood, California, Denson is one of those lopsided guys with solid stuff and control, but with absolutely no movement. He's got a ton of stamina and mixes a four pitch arsenal that hovers in the 90-92 MPH range with the hard stuff. He's got a plus fastball, plus-plus slider, plus forkball, and below average change. His numbers looked really good, 8-1 with a 1.13 ERA, 0.82 WHIP, and 133 strikeouts in 96 innings of average competition.

4th Round, 78th Overall: SP Johnny Aughey (2): A former 5th Round Pick out of High School by Newark, the Florida native decided to head to UF for his college ball. Junior year wasn't his best, as he managed just a 5.04 ERA, 1.67 WHIP, and 80 walks to 99 strikeouts in 19 starts. He's got a nice three pitch arsenal with a plus fastball and curve as well as an average circle change. I'm hoping he can reclaim a little of his former shine.

5th Round, 94th Overall: SS Andy Duran (2): Defense, defense, defense! A former 12th Round Pick by the Lightning in 1902, the switch hitter out of West Virginia jumped off draft boards not for his bat, but for his glove. He's got elite range and arm with 100 error and 93 double play ratings. He can be one of the best defenders at his position, and an excellent base runner as well. He's got elite speed with plus stealing and plus-plus baserunning ability as well, making him a threat if he gets on or hits a slow roller in the infield. He won't really do much at the plate, but there is always value in elite defenders.

6th Round, 110th Overall: CF Jeremy Lowe (2): A lefty outfielder who can man all three spots, Lowe has value both at the plate and in the field. He's got an excellent eye and makes enough contact where he can beat out infield hits and stretch singles to doubles. He doesn't really steal bases, but the speed translates to the outfield where he has plus-plus range and he'll catch most balls hit near him. He's got an elite arm, which makes him valuable in center and right. We're also low on lower minor outfielders, so it always helps to add promising depth.

7th Round, 126th Overall: CF Ken Anderson (2): A much different profile with Anderson, who isn't much of a defender and will likely end up in left. He's fast and a great basestealer, which at least gives him plus range, but he lacks an arm and doesn't really have a feel for tracking balls. He's a patient slugger at the plate who strikes out not because he's beat on a pitch or it's out of the zone, but because he swings too hard and misses it. And quoting from his personality, "if he's injured, it will be because he crashed into something trying too hard."

8th Round, 142nd Overall: C Cory Guss (2): "The Brick" won't sign, but the youngster flashes a little potential at the plate. He makes plus contact and has a solid eye, but he's an awful defender. Going to a good college program can help mold him into a future big leaguer.

9th Round, 158th Overall: 2B Darius Darby (2): Undrafted out of high school with barley any college offers, Darius Darby ended up at St. Paul Academy-Summit, a college I'd guess no one else has every heard of as a baseball powerhouse. He's a slow developer, but the durable junior flashes decent tools with a plus eye and plus contact ability. He's got elite speed and is a decent base stealer, but he gets caught in more then his fair share of rundowns. He has a weak arm, but plus or better ratings for range, error, and double play turning, so he can be a relatively solid second basemen.

10th Round, 174th Overall: SP Corey Carr (1.5): The pitching talent is running low, so expect a run of pitchers grabbed. Carr, a lefty from Rochester, New York had a nice senior year, going 7-2 with a 1.43 ERA, 0.96 WHIP, and 116 strikeouts in 12 starts. He doesn't throw too hard, barley reaching 90, but his best pitch is a devastating curve that generates a ton of swing and misses. His fastball and change are average at best, but he still has plus stuff. He's a starter now, but I expect him to end up a lefty pen guy that can give you a full inning.

11th Round, 190th Overall: SP Jesus Solano (1): Solano really isn't that great, but he has elite stamina, and three average or better pitches, featuring a plus-plus curve. He's prone to the longball and sits in the 88-90 MPH range with his fastball, but Solano is a great inning eater in the minors who can push his way into the big league picture.

12th Round, 206th Overall: SP Ernie Wilbur (0.5): I don't love this pick, but I need minor league guys who can eat innings. Wilbur is one of those. Undrafted out of High School last year, he spent a year at San Carlos, a JUCO in Arizona, where he didn't have the most success. The lefty has an average fastball and sinker, but if his change never develops, he'll be forced into long relief, although his talent may do that too.

13th Round, 222nd Overall: CF Cameron Johnson (1.5): Won't sign. I think Johnson is underrated, and a big reason he dropped so far is because he didn't want to sign. He's got elite speed and will steal 30+ bases a year while playing elite defense in center. He sprays the ball to all fields, racking up doubles and triples by the dozen. He'll never hit a homer, but he's got a great eye and avoids stupid strikeouts.

14th Round, 238th Overall: CF Ray Rogers (1.5): He's got elite range so he can stay in center, as well as a plus-plus arm that can shift hi to right. He'll likely be a 5th Outfielder who's on the team for his defense and the extra footspeed he provides. At the plate he's basically a non-threat, with more strikeouts then you could count. He's not here for his bat, he's here for the glove...

15th Round, 254th Overall: 1B Mike Gray (1.5): Another guy who probably fell because he won't sign, Gray offers no value on defense, but a ton with the bat. The Ohio native has plus-plus power with a plus-plus eye. He's prone to strikeouts because he swings so hard and tries to pulverize everything, but he always is seen in the cage before, after, and during practice.

16th Round, 270th Overall: CF Johnny McGuire (1.5): Undrafted out of high school, the fleet footed McGuire went to Governor Livingston in Berkely Hights in New Jersey where he broke school records for stolen bases, triples, and more in his three year run. He's got elite range and an elite arm in the outfield, and profiles as a gold glover in all three spots who can lead the league in steals. He's got average contact potential as well, and if he puts the ball in play he's always liable to make something happen with the legs. He's a perfect off the bench guy who can change things in just one at bat, but isn't good enough to do it consistently.

17th Round, 286th Overall: SP Danny Branch (0.5): Didn't notice he wouldn't sign, so I dropped the ball with the pick. It's going to be pitching the rest of the way, and Branch was the best available for control. Nothing special yet, but he has a lot of California college options lined up.

18th Round, 302nd Overall: CF/P Germaine Ugurgieri (0.5): Points for an awesome and hard to spell name, as Ugurgieri is seen by us as a pitcher, not fielder, mainly because he can't really hit. He's a solid fielder in the outfield, but he boasts plus control from the rubber, and can give you multiple innings out of the pen if his 3rd pitch, an always fun 1/1 change, never pans out.

19th Round, 318th Overall: CL Chris Atwell (0.5): Teammates with 23rd Overall Pick Blaine Kean, the almost 23-year-old Chris Atwell finished up his 5th season as a member of the Golden Gophers. It wasn't pretty, but he throws gas as a sidewiniding righty. A former 20th Round Pick way back in 1900 by the Wildcats, Atwell probably would've been better off signing as a high schooler, but at least he got his degree in Biological Science.

20th Round, 334th Overall: SP Alex Dondiego (0.5): We're ending the draft with my least favorite type of starter, a low stamina one. This pick is betting on the stamina bouncing up, as Dondiego has pretty great stuff with an elite curve, plus fastball, and average change. He doesn't throw too hard, but just 6 days past his 18th birthday, he's got time to throw harder as he matures. I don't expect anything here, but he could turn into an intriguing trade option for an impending free agent.

This was my third draft as Chargers GM, so next season I'll touch on what happened to the unsigned Class of 1903. Just wait till the 5-year and 10-year anniversary when I look back at all the mistakes I made...

The June write up will follow!
Old 05-13-2019, 10:34 PM   #87
ayaghmour2
Hall Of Famer

I'm going to have to put the writing aspect of the dynasty on hold until further notice. While the league will continue, it's getting harder and harder to keep up with work and other life stuff. I will keep playing, however, so if anything cool happens (i.e. World Series wins) I'll post about it