Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Out of the Park Developments > Talk Sports

Talk Sports Discuss everything that is sports-related, like MLB, NFL, NHL, NBA, MLS, NASCAR, NCAA sports and teams, trades, coaches, bad calls etc.

Old 04-15-2019, 09:54 AM   #21
David Watts
Hall Of Famer

I think the thing that bugs me the most is, the over hype simply isn't needed. Guys like Tiger, Lebron and Michael are so damn good they don't require hype. They are hype. Just cover the event and let it speak for itself.

Last edited by David Watts; 04-15-2019 at 10:07 AM.
David Watts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 09:59 AM   #22
Cobra Mgr
Hall Of Famer

4 all my future crimes.

- Prince
Batdance
June 7, 1958 - Apr 21, 2016
Cobra Mgr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 10:47 AM   #23
Bluenoser
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Watts View Post
I think the thing that bugs me the most is, the over hype simply isn't needed. Guys like Tiger, Lebron and Michael are so damn good they don't require hype. They are hype. Just cover the event and let it speak for itself.
Did I miss something? What exactly isn't over hyped in this day and age?

Anything that's draws in $$$ is over hyped. And that is exactly why - because it draws in $$$.
Bluenoser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 10:52 AM   #24
Bluenoser
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobra Mgr View Post
I know it aint true. Doesnt mean that isnt the perception. When u have Augusta having a women's tourney for the first time in 2019, it is easy to see why that perception still exists. We are a long way from Charlie Sifford. But Tiger winning the Masters hasnt changed golf's rep anymore than Reconstruction turned the ex Confederacy from being a bunch of racist states. Golf is still seen as a rich white man's sport.
So now it's women is it? News flash - the LPGA has also grown in leaps and bounds over the past 2 decades.

You should try following golf for a while, you'll be surprised at how many non-white athlete's have been playing competitively for the past couple decades.

I think your just bitter that a black man has dominated what you claim to be a "white man's game".

Try not looking at the colour, and just appreciate the talent. It really is an entertaining and enjoyable game to watch, regardless who gets the most coverage in the media.
Old 04-15-2019, 11:10 AM   #25
Cobra Mgr
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenoser View Post

Anything that's draws in $$$ is over hyped. And that is exactly why - because it draws in $$$.
If that is the case, I don't know why anyone is objecting to what I said. If it is a well-known fact it happens, then no one should be surprised when someone says they don't like it. Am I supposed to like pollution even though it is common?
4 all my future crimes.

- Prince
Batdance
Old 04-15-2019, 11:10 AM   #26
Cobra Mgr
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
So now it's women is it? News flash - the LPGA has also grown in leaps and bounds over the past 2 decades.

You should try following golf for a while, you'll be surprised at how many non-white athlete's have been playing competitively for the past couple decades.

I think your just bitter that a black man has dominated what you claim to be a "white man's game".

Try not looking at the colour, and just appreciate the talent. It really is an entertaining and enjoyable game to watch, regardless who gets the most coverage in the media.
Do you read the whole post or do you just cherry pick stuff you want to argue against like you're in a buffet line?
4 all my future crimes.

- Prince
Batdance
Old 04-15-2019, 11:18 AM   #27
David Watts
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

Am I missing something? Did I argue that things weren't over hyped? I simply stated why I don't think the hype is needed. I agree with you. Over hype is right at the top of my list in regards to why I watch less and less sports these days.. But, I'm old and pleasing one "get off my lawn" hermit is not going to be at the top on any networks to do list. I would rather disappear into my make believe OOTP baseball world, read a crime novel or simply stare at the wall than deal with the noise.

Last edited by David Watts; 04-15-2019 at 11:54 AM.
David Watts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 12:12 PM   #28
Bluenoser
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Do you read the whole post or do you just cherry pick stuff you want to argue against like you're in a buffet line?
Look in a mirror, you made it about black and white. When I asked you to substantiate that, you couldn't and switched gears to make it about Women and Augusta. Ya, I'm cherry picking, right.

I'm asking is for you to substantiate your claim that it's a White Mans sport.

It may have been a long time ago, but it hasn't been for a long time.

Last edited by Bluenoser; 04-15-2019 at 12:17 PM.
Old 04-15-2019, 12:50 PM   #29
Cobra Mgr
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Look in a mirror, you made it about black and white.
I didn't make race a factor. Tiger, through no fault of his own, made it a factor. Emphasis, "a", not "the". If you can't see Afro/Asian-American interest in golf spiked when Woods came on the scene, you have your head in the sand. And I guarantee you unless someone black rises up in Tiger's wake, the black community will go back to ignoring golf once he retires.

Quote:
When I asked you to substantiate that, you couldn't and switched gears to make it about Women and Augusta. Ya, I'm cherry picking, right.

I'm asking is for you to substantiate your claim that it's a White Mans sport.
I didn't switch gears. The fact women had to break down barriers in 2019 shows the old boy network is still alive and well. It is still a struggle for minorities & women to make inroads. It has been 25 years since Tiger Woods became a household name. Shouldn't there have been a groundswell of blacks beginning to filter into the PGA tour? Where are they? I tell you where. Not the links. Because the vast majority are interested in golf only when Tiger is involved.

But minority interest is just a small part of my argument that you zeroed in on that distracted from the bigger message. Find yourself a bunch of people w/casual knowledge of the Masters & see if you can get anyone to turn the convo for more than 5 minutes away to one of the other golfers. They won't know who you are talking about.
4 all my future crimes.

- Prince
Batdance
Old 04-15-2019, 01:13 PM   #30
cephasjames
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
It has been 25 years since Tiger Woods became a household name. Shouldn't there have been a groundswell of blacks beginning to filter into the PGA tour?
Why?
Pre-OOTP 23 Custom Cap & Jersey Template v3.0 by Deft and NoPepper (with layers from other various artists) that I use: Caps, Jerseys
cephasjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 01:58 PM   #31
Cobra Mgr
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cephasjames View Post
Why?
If Tiger Woods was causing Black America to become golf fans, not Tiger fans, it would be expected there would be a number of youngsters growing up wanting to be TIger Woods. That hasn't happened. Because Black America still doesn't see golf as a place where they can make a career. It is still perceived, perceived, as a rich, white man's sport. Woods is viewed as the exception. Not the possibility.

I can't believe I have to spell out everything.
4 all my future crimes.

- Prince
Batdance
Old 04-15-2019, 03:28 PM   #32
cephasjames
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Because Black America still doesn't see golf as a place where they can make a career.
Does black America need to see golf as a place where they can make a career? Does black America want golf to be a place where they can make a career?
Pre-OOTP 23 Custom Cap & Jersey Template v3.0 by Deft and NoPepper (with layers from other various artists) that I use: Caps, Jerseys

Last edited by cephasjames; 04-15-2019 at 03:35 PM.
Old 04-15-2019, 03:48 PM   #33
Cobra Mgr
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cephasjames View Post
Does black America need to see golf as a place where they can make a career? Does black America want golf to be a place where they can make a career?
You are an example of a person who doesn't want to have a discussion. You want to have an argument. You can't stick to the topic. You want to come up with crazy retorts that distracts from the point being made and think that somehow makes you clever.

You and I are done.
4 all my future crimes.

- Prince
Batdance
Old 04-15-2019, 04:49 PM   #34
cephasjames
Hall Of Famer

If I didn't want to have a discussion I wouldn't haven't jumped into this conversation.

I asked questions that I believed to be fair questions to ask. Fair enough, if you don't want to respond. Maybe someone else will attempt to answer them. If not... meh. Life goes on.

EDIT: Btw, you're the one who brought black Americans into this conversation. I'm just curious why you think blacks should have groundswelled into golf because of Tiger and why you think blacks need to see golf as a career opportunity or if they even want to. If blacks don't even want to make a career out of golf then the lack of blacks in golf is not problematic at all. But I don't know if they want to make golf a career or not, which is why I asked the question. That's how people find things out they don't know, they ask questions.

Last edited by cephasjames; 04-15-2019 at 05:10 PM.
Old 04-15-2019, 05:23 PM   #35
Bluenoser
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
[/u][/b]I didn't make race a factor.[/u][/b] Tiger, through no fault of his own, made it a factor. Emphasis, "a", not "the". If you can't see Afro/Asian-American interest in golf spiked when Woods came on the scene, you have your head in the sand. And I guarantee you unless someone black rises up in Tiger's wake, the black community will go back to ignoring golf once he retires.
Yes, you are the one who brought race into the discussion.

Quote:
I didn't switch gears. The fact women had to break down barriers in 2019 shows the old boy network is still alive and well. It is still a struggle for minorities & women to make inroads. It has been 25 years since Tiger Woods became a household name. Shouldn't there have been a groundswell of blacks beginning to filter into the PGA tour? Where are they? I tell you where. Not the links. Because the vast majority are interested in golf only when Tiger is involved.

But minority interest is just a small part of my argument that you zeroed in on that distracted from the bigger message. Find yourself a bunch of people w/casual knowledge of the Masters & see if you can get anyone to turn the convo for more than 5 minutes away to one of the other golfers. They won't know who you are talking about.
I see, and the fact Augusta had a long standing policy against women makes it a Whtite Man's Sport does it?

I was in agreement with you about the over hype, I even mentioned how much it irritates me. Then you, yes you Cobra, brought the race thing in and said it was a white mans game.

I questioned that statement, and even provided examples of non-white players who were consistently competitive on tour.

And your response is - I'm cherry picking. Great, if you don't want to substantiate your stance, don't. I won't pursue the matter.

And I still agree with you on the over hype, just not the rest.
Old 04-15-2019, 05:31 PM   #36
Cobra Mgr
Hall Of Famer

I love ignore lists
4 all my future crimes.

- Prince
Batdance
Old 04-16-2019, 12:21 AM   #37
pilight
All Star Starter

I thought Woods might get it together for one mid-40's last hurrah, sort of like Nicklaus did. I'd be surprised if he wins another major. No way will he reach 18.
pilight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 08:07 AM   #38
cephasjames
Hall Of Famer

18 does seem like a stretch. I think this Masters showed how good a field there currently is. There were so many people in it until the very end. Tiger needed to play superb golf to win. I'm not sure he can sustain that over the long haul as he continues to age and the field continues to elevate. But, we'll see. It was fun to watch, regardless.