Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 19 > OOTP 19 - New to the Game?

OOTP 19 - New to the Game? If you have basic questions about the the latest version of our game, please come here!

Old 02-15-2019, 03:07 AM   #1
jas80s
Minors (Triple A)

more basic questions

Hello all,

I am still wading my way through the game, but it's really fun and quite addictive, so no complaints.

I have a few random questions.

1. I have Shane Reynolds on my team, but despite the fact that he was a starter for most of his career, he is a relief pitcher in my league. I would like to work to increase his stamina so I can use him as a starter, is there a way to do this?

2. I came across the preseason predictions in the game and I was delighted (yes delighted) to see that we are predicted to finish last in the NL. As a first year GM, I have no problem with setting the bar low! Besides, we're the Cubs and, until recently, last place was somewhat expected. However, I see among the individual predictions are a couple of players predicted to finish with 85 homeruns. Is this normal? My game is set in 1946, not 1998.

3. When I went to auto-calc my leagues, I received a message that certain teams (not mine) have an illegal number of players on their roster. Do I need to do something about that? Along those lines, I seem to recall coming across the minor league schedules somewhere, but I don't recall where. If I switch to AAA for example and then go to schedule, it still only shows the MLB schedule.

4. Finally, and this is a little embarrassing, but I see some players are under a minor league contract, but when I go to negotiate extension it says I am offering 0 years at 0 dollars. Can someone give me a very brief tutorial on how to sign guys with minor league contracts? I think I already pissed one guy off. Just as it says in the game, I am an inexperienced GM.

I am hoping maybe others are lurking who have wondered about some of these same things. If anyone just wants to answer one of these questions, that would be fantastic. I know I threw a bunch of Q's out there.
jas80s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2019, 10:29 AM   #2
mitchkenn
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jas80s View Post

3. When I went to auto-calc my leagues, I received a message that certain teams (not mine) have an illegal number of players on their roster. Do I need to do something about that?
this is a long standing issue - yes, you need to address the issue or the game won't advance.
two things to get rid of this issue...
1. you can use ghost players and that will get rid of the issue (Joe Unknowns will be on the roster).
or
2. you can go to league settings and fill the rosters with fictional players.

not at my game computer this morning, so can't recall the exact screens those options are on, but the are in league settings somewhere.

hope this helps. good luck and have fun.
"I saw a young man leaning on his wooden crutch - He called out to me, 'Don't ask for so much' And a young woman leaning in her darkened door She cried out to me, 'Why not ask for more?' " - Leonard Cohen
"Hello darkness, my old Friend ...." - Paul Simon
Before Mays, before DiMaggio, there was Oscar Charleston.
"All the lies about Babe Ruth are true." - Waite Hoyt

Avatar is the late great Townes Van Zandt. rip.
mitchkenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2019, 03:40 PM   #3
NoOne
Hall Of Famer

if it's offseason and rosters ar ejust a mess because of timing, you can also go to that team's 'roster and transaction' screen and select 'have AI setup complete organization" from 'available actions' drop-down.

if it's a league-wide problem, filling by level is best or ghost players are way easier options.

1 - can't improve stamina. you cna hurt it by overworking a pitcher. that's most likely relative to time period of historical play? anyway, not destroying them in their early years is actually beneficial in ootp.

2- will be fixed by an autocalc of league total modifiers before season starts. no, i don't think 85 home runs is accurate for that year yes, it will happen if you don't change something before the season starts. maybe it's not 85, but an environment that can produce such an outcome is clearly not good for your context.

4. do you have minor leagues at that time? reserve clause? rhetorical questions that will help you answer why.

also, before FA, you own the players. they only leave if you release them. they will auto-renew until FA rules are enforced or you turn them on etc.
NoOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2019, 04:31 PM   #4
jas80s
Minors (Triple A)

Basic Questions

Thanks guys, really appreciate the feedback.

So, I own the player? Makes it a little easier to be the GM I guess. I am going to bask in the pre-Marvin Miller era then....

Regarding Shane Reynolds, I did see an option to change his position to starting pitcher. If I do that, will his stamina change as he works at his new role? It's just hard to imagine that a guy who started so much can't start games in a historical replay.

I have located the auto-calc and done it for all of the leagues, but the predictions are the same. I am concerned about this one as I don't want a wildly unrealistic historical replay, kind of defeats the purpose.
Old 02-17-2019, 04:58 PM   #5
NoOne
Hall Of Famer

time can only cause stamina to go down. it doesn't increase without TCR. randome talent chagnes -- setting in game.

i think it ebbs and flows a bit more than other ratings, but in general, a 29 stamina guy isn't going to turn into higher stamina guy through use.

i say it's more likely to go down, because wear and tear is a real effect in ootp. mil's come with hard coded pitch counts if you didn't notice. check manual for exact #s. they are sufficient, likely... i reduce them a bit more for AAA. e.g. in AAA it is "110," if i recall, and that is a bit high for any SP with <50ish stamina.. .even at ~50/100 stamina it's a bit too much and likely resulting in pitching them tired at least occasionally.

lower leves do have a lower pitch count, fwiw. maybe AA could benefit from -5 forced by coach over the league's standard pitch count. i think i cap it at 90-95 for AA/AAA, respectively... a few this way or that is no big deal as long as they aren't pitching overly tired constantly.. .one time isn't a problem etc... this is a drop in the bucket effect that requires time and abuse to present itself. (as well as large # of players.. not all succumb to it)

wow, side note -- my spelling peaked with a second place finish in the 4th grade spelling bee (LOL) and it's gone way downhill since. i couldn't even remember how to spell succumb.. lol... (type-o's aside)

Last edited by NoOne; 02-17-2019 at 05:02 PM.
Old 02-18-2019, 03:36 AM   #6
jas80s
Minors (Triple A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoOne View Post
time can only cause stamina to go down. it doesn't increase without TCR. randome talent chagnes -- setting in game.

i think it ebbs and flows a bit more than other ratings, but in general, a 29 stamina guy isn't going to turn into higher stamina guy through use.

i say it's more likely to go down, because wear and tear is a real effect in ootp. mil's come with hard coded pitch counts if you didn't notice. check manual for exact #s. they are sufficient, likely... i reduce them a bit more for AAA. e.g. in AAA it is "110," if i recall, and that is a bit high for any SP with <50ish stamina.. .even at ~50/100 stamina it's a bit too much and likely resulting in pitching them tired at least occasionally.

lower leves do have a lower pitch count, fwiw. maybe AA could benefit from -5 forced by coach over the league's standard pitch count. i think i cap it at 90-95 for AA/AAA, respectively... a few this way or that is no big deal as long as they aren't pitching overly tired constantly.. .one time isn't a problem etc... this is a drop in the bucket effect that requires time and abuse to present itself. (as well as large # of players.. not all succumb to it)

wow, side note -- my spelling peaked with a second place finish in the 4th grade spelling bee (LOL) and it's gone way downhill since. i couldn't even remember how to spell succumb.. lol... (type-o's aside)
Thanks so much for getting back, and no worries on the spelling, I followed what you were saying so you got your point across.

OK then, I guess Shane Reynolds is a relief pitcher in this universe. Too bad, my team needs a starting pitcher in the worst way.
Old 02-18-2019, 02:30 PM   #7
NoOne
Hall Of Famer

make a shortlist of prospects that may have value but you don't like. i bet you can get a trade done with castaways and get a good SP in return.

e.g. i find guys that are rated well but have some major hole... or simply don't have the abilities i want for the role they would fill etc etc.

i make sure to trade all useful prospects before they reach FA or needt o be on 25-man roster etc... i will only delay ~1 year while in AAA and on 40man. if players just leave your team or wallow in AAA, that's not maximizing your return at all. even in a very poor mil system, you have at least a few guys that some team wants -- even if due to poor scouting by them.

some stick around for depth purposes, but they aren't typically very good or they are the next in line to replace someone, if they are and never a trade asset to begin with.

Last edited by NoOne; 02-18-2019 at 02:34 PM.