Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP Update 20.8 - OOTP 20 Available - FHM 6 Available

Offseason Discount! SAVE 50%!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Out of the Park Baseball 20 > OOTP 20 - Historical Simulations

OOTP 20 - Historical Simulations Discuss historical simulations and their results in this forum.

Old 11-08-2019, 10:52 AM   #21
Jeffield
Bat Boy

Thanked 2x in 1 post
I think you may be on to something with your trading theory of only trading what the computer offers because i started with the 2019 orioles and with trading set to very hard i still managed to improve my minor leagues from 28th ranked to 10th by the july trade deadline. Im going to use your idea going forward but, i guess leaving the trade difficulty and amount of trading set to normal would be okay for this.
Jeffield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2019, 02:35 AM   #22
3fbrown
Minors (Single A)

Thanked 15x in 5 posts
My experience is that I get lots of trade offers, especially if I put in what I want into the team needs screen. Now, most of the trade offers are terrible, but the high volume means that a few are worthwhile every year. And they are interesting offers - I rarely get an offer where I am ripping off the computer. I would estimate that I "win" the trade 2/3 of the time, but I "lose" 1/3 of the time.

Sometimes I get tempted to shop around. For example, the Pirates right now in my league keep drafting CF, so they have Jim Edmonds, Kenny Lofton, Brady Anderson, Johnny Damon, and Ellis Burks. Since Edmonds and Lofton can only play CF, one always sits, even though those are probably the top 2 CF in baseball. I'd love to have one, but I am wary of poking around and getting a superstar for a bargain price. That's not in the spirit of the game for me.
3fbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2019, 04:21 AM   #23
tomnov
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Thanked 5x in 5 posts
I think maybe your trade settings and/or AI settings are flawed, as you've already recorded 2 instances of teams uselessly stockpiling players that they could have traded to other teams to help their own team get better.
But the project sounds interesting.
tomnov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2019, 02:38 AM   #24
3fbrown
Minors (Single A)

Thanked 15x in 5 posts
?? What settings do you suggest are flawed? The AI always drafts the best available player, regardless of position, which is the right strategy for real life, but works more awkwardly in a league where players go right to the majors. How do you have your settings to avoid this problem?

Typically teams that do this trade the extraneous player after a bit, but in this case it just hasn't happened yet.
Old 12-04-2019, 01:59 AM   #25
3fbrown
Minors (Single A)

Thanked 15x in 5 posts
Players with 700 SB: Part 1

Paul Molitor: 792
Technically active, Molitor hasnít been in the majors since 1992. His bat still plays, but his only position is DH, which doesnít exist in RL. Molitor has had a productive but strange career. He has split his time fairly evenly between 2B, 3B, and SS - he actually has more time at SS than any other position. Drafted by the Tigers, he started out at 3B, where he was an average fielder. At age 28 they moved him to SS to make room for Steve Buecheleís golden glove. At shortstop Molitor was well below average. In 1989, at age 32, he moved primarily to 2B to make room for Ozzie Guillen at shortstop. Here he also struggled, as his defensive skills had eroded significantly. He now plays for the Pirates, or at least Pittsburghís AAA affiliate.

Molitor has had a good bat his entire career. He is a career .295 hitter, with good doubles power, and obviously good speed. He won the 1982 MVP award when he hit .341 with 49 doubles, 85 SB. But most years he has been a good hitter with great speed and mediocre or worse defense. Heís toast at this point, but he will be heading to the HOF as a mostly borderline candidate soon.

Tommy Harper: 781
A poor manís Paul Molitor, Harper also got put at positions he was not ideally suited to play. He spent the 1960ís in Cleveland, playing some 3B but mostly CF, where he was a terrible defender. The bat was solid, but the defense kept him from being very productive.

Traded to San Diego in time for the 1970 season, he spent the rest of his career as a Padre, mostly playing 3B, with a bit of corner OF. His 3B defense started out average but deteriorated as he got older, forcing the move to LF/RF. His hitting stayed solid in his 30s, maybe even improved a bit. His best seasons with the bat were probably in his mid-30s. Unlike Molitor, he didnít do anything especially well with the bat, but didnít have any glaring weaknesses either. He was very durable, and consistently stole bases, so even though he never surpassed 64 SB, he accumulated a lot over his career, holding the record from 1981-1992. He does, however, still hold the record for times caught stealing at 429, 71 more than the next most. Harper was a good player, but not close to being a HOFer.

Sherry Magee: 773
A deadball slugger in real life, this Sherry Magee was a slightly lesser version of the real one. He spent his career in Washington playing RF. Although his hitting stats donít look impressive, considering the era they are solid. But for the most part, he was Tommy Harper, accumulating stats over a long career, including a lot of SB. He held the record for 60 years, which isnít too shabby. He was better than Harper on both offense and defense, so he is a low level HOF candidate, but just not impressive enough to me to get inducted. This paragraph is not super exciting, and neither was Magee.

Ty Cobb: 733
He played a long time and got a lot of hits.