Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Out of the Park Developments > Talk Sports
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Talk Sports Discuss everything that is sports-related, like MLB, NFL, NHL, NBA, MLS, NASCAR, NCAA sports and teams, trades, coaches, bad calls etc.

Old 09-25-2016, 06:37 PM   #1
Cobra Mgr
Hall Of Famer

Baseball's unwritten rules (SMH)

Faking a tag is a no-no?
4 all my future crimes.

- Prince
Batdance
June 7, 1958 - Apr 21, 2016
Cobra Mgr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2016, 07:11 PM   #2
MarkInCincy
All Star Reserve

Nothing wrong with it IMO

Sent from my Z812 using Tapatalk
Old 09-25-2016, 08:41 PM   #3
joefromchicago
Hall Of Famer

When did that game take place? 1979?

Oh, and the fake tag - bush league, totally.
joefromchicago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2016, 08:52 PM   #4
edm
All Star Starter

The ball was thrown away. He tried deking him to prevent the runner from scoring. I don't see a problem with it. We see it all the time when a catcher throws a ball away on an attempted steal.

=

Last edited by edm; 09-25-2016 at 10:45 PM.
edm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2016, 10:39 PM   #5
Number4
Major Leagues

This is ridiculous and MLB should take a stand on it.

I am not against a certain "hit one of our guys, we hit one of yours" self-policing. I think it on overall probably makes baseball a better game, as players have a tendency of avoiding stupid stuff they might do in other sports because of the risk of a 95 mph heater coming at you along with everyone saying you deserve this.

However, it is still a dangerours practice and shouldn't be overused. Here, it was a smart and hard play by the pirate to prevent a run from scoring. The risk of injury while sliding into third is not overproportional, he'd hurt himself the same way if that throw was actually on the mark.

And yet a overzealous policeman throws at his head. Disgusting.
Old 09-26-2016, 08:53 AM   #6
stl jason
Hall Of Famer

as far as the fake tag... meh... there have always been attempts at misdirection and fake-outs to try and gain an advantage over the other team (hidden ball trick, pretending it's a routine catch to keep a runner from advancing, etc)... I guess the Nats and Harper didn't have an issue when Murphy did a fake-out on Cespedes earlier this year:

Daniel Murphy fakes out Yoenis Cespedes on this brilliant play, then smirks at him | FOX Sports
stl jason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2016, 08:19 PM   #7
Postman
Major Leagues

A fake tag is fine, as is mimicking fielding a ground ball on a fly. In both situations the runner needs to pick up the third base coach.

What is not allowed is glancing back to see where the catcher sets up before the pitch. That'll get you drilled.

Last edited by Postman; 09-26-2016 at 08:21 PM.
Postman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2016, 12:16 AM   #8
Number4
Major Leagues

Quote:
Originally Posted by Postman View Post
A fake tag is fine, as is mimicking fielding a ground ball on a fly. In both situations the runner needs to pick up the third base coach.

What is not allowed is glancing back to see where the catcher sets up before the pitch. That'll get you drilled.
Because why that looks like just gaining an advantage, it is frowned upon because it just means that the catcher and pitcher would spend more time to communicate with each other, slowing the game for everyone. It just annoys them for no actual advantage, as they'd just switch to elaborate signs or mound visits.
Old 09-27-2016, 10:04 PM   #9
Postman
Major Leagues

It's because it takes some pitches out of the game. If you're talking about a left handed batter and a right handed catcher, for instance, a low and inside pitch would require the catcher to backhand the ball and anything in the dirt would go to the backstop. It's too big a risk.
Postman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2016, 10:39 PM   #10
molarmite
Hall Of Famer

I always think of a video I saw of Robby Thompson for the Giants pretending the ball went into CF on a SB attempt and got the runner to take two steps towards 3rd and then tagged him out when he had the ball. I didn't see this play, but I'm definitely okay with the way Robby did it, not sure if this is similar or not.

"Now all you need is a signature. A quote or initial, perhaps."

[
molarmite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2016, 04:59 PM   #11
Cobra Mgr
Hall Of Famer

It is common courtesy in team sport to communicate w/o the other team listening in. Basketball players don't go into each other's huddle. Football coaches south of Connecticut don't steal sideline signals. Volleyball & tennis players give hand signals behind their backs. Those unwritten "rules" are understandable.

Fakes are used in all team sports. Basketball players use no look passes & backdoor cuts. Football coaches call for flea flickers & fake fg's. Volleyball players fake who is going to hit the ball over the net. Tennis players make like they are going to smash it then hit drop shots. Baseball no-fake "rule" doesn't make sense.
4 all my future crimes.

- Prince
Batdance
June 7, 1958 - Apr 21, 2016
Cobra Mgr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2016, 08:05 AM   #12
BaseballMan
Hall Of Famer

Didn't Lonnie Smith get fooled by a fake tag or throw in the 91 series? To me it's just like having to guess what pitch is thrown. This isn't the 19th century when you could tell the pitcher where to throw the ball.
BaseballMan is offline   Reply With Quote