Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 17 > OOTP 17 - General Discussions
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

OOTP 17 - General Discussions Everything about the latest Out of the Park Baseball - officially licensed by MLB.com and the MLBPA.

Old 09-13-2016, 07:08 PM   #1
GoPedro99
All Star Reserve

Historical debut

Id like some opinions on your perceived best way or personal favorite way to play a historical debut league. I have never done it and want to try one. Stuff like settings and whatnot would be greatly appreciated

Last edited by GoPedro99; 09-13-2016 at 11:27 PM.
GoPedro99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2016, 10:32 PM   #2
GoPedro99
All Star Reserve

Any ideas
Old 09-13-2016, 10:47 PM   #3
Spritze
OOTP Historical Czar

What is a debut league?
Old 09-13-2016, 11:27 PM   #4
GoPedro99
All Star Reserve

Historical league with random debut for players in all generations
Old 09-14-2016, 05:43 AM   #5
MarkInCincy
All Star Reserve

One way I like to do it is to pick a year and freeze it there for financials, league totals, etv

Sent from my Z812 using Tapatalk
Old 09-14-2016, 04:41 PM   #6
David Watts
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkInCincy View Post
One way I like to do it is to pick a year and freeze it there for financials, league totals, etv

I do this a lot as well. Love locking into a single year.

I recommend setting the minimum year to 1900 or later. I've never liked the way that pre 1900 players perform in random debut, especially pitchers.

I also prefer using reserve rosters over minor leagues and keeping my drafts small, usually 4-6 rounds.

I suggest starting your league when home runs were solidified as part of the game. I've tried starting in the deadball ERA or even 1921, but found it hard to enjoy. For me, having a Richie Sexson or Dave Kingman be a singles hitter is hard to wrap my head around.

I like to make my league my own by giving teams fictional nicknames. I find that reshaping my league into the format I desire, locating teams where I want them and using fictional nicknames brings a league to life.

You might want to go through your league and give each team a fictional ballpark of its own to play in. I simply go to the park setting and select the option to establish random setting for each park.....if you don't do this, every park is set to default 1.000 all across the board for the entire league.

Don't be scared to form your league in a year(say 1975) and delete teams to get down to a smaller league format. This will only make your draft deeper and allow you to use normal or high for injuries.

Oh and this is just me, but I highly recommend using recalc (1year or 3 year) with development turned on as well. I prefer 1 year, but it does make for a harsher reality. For example, guys like Cecil Fielder or Juan Gonzalez can turn to fuzz quickly with 1 year recalc. Real life injury seasons also can be harsh. You may see Chris Carpenter win a Cy Young in your league and then get relegated to long relief for the next couple season due to real life injuries. Leaving development on is great for when players reach the end of their recalc years.
David Watts is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2016, 04:49 PM   #7
TheMaus2
All Star Starter

Turn recalc off and see what happens.

I also listen to music no one's ever heard of in hopes of looking cool and alternative.
TheMaus2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2016, 09:35 PM   #8
MarkInCincy
All Star Reserve

I never have used recalc or real injuries/miss time and generally use 1960 or 72 as my frozen year but I am working on one now where I will pick a random year every season for financials/league totals/strategy/etc