Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 18 > OOTP 18 - General Discussions

OOTP 18 - General Discussions Everything about the 2017 version of Out of the Park Baseball - officially licensed by MLB.com and the MLBPA.

Old 03-29-2018, 12:15 PM   #1
Clovidequano Dovatha
Hall Of Famer

Location: Somewhere in the United States of America on God's Earth
When you build your rosters

When you build your rosters and have personality profiles on, how do you prefer to build your average usual rosters? When I build and/or maintain them, I generally don't keep those players which are listed either as disruptive or selfish very long, if at all, supposing that I have a choice about whether or not to keep them in my entire organization at all.

Even if they may be rated highly based on statistics or talent, I might not normally want to keep them on my teams if I don't have to at all. I just started another HRD game in 1901. And got Jeter in the inaugural draft, IIRC, as someone in his 30's, I think. Saw he was listed as selfish, so shipped him out as soon as possible.

Now, in that game, my Cardinals team has won the first four NL titles, and three of the first four titles. We're going into the 1905 season looking for a four-peat, but we had to win a tiebreaker game against the Reds to even get into the 1904 World Series. So far, there are only two franchises to make the Series, those being us and the Brewers/Browns, although they've had some challenging competition in the AL for a few years, IIRC.

A few teams seem to be getting better of late in both leagues. Jolting Joe is in Detroit at the moment, but we've tried to swing a deal for him, even when they've offered him to us, without success, it seems. And other teams have offered other players, but terms can't often be agreed on between them and me, of course.

I don't know how long this run will last, but I have found myself doing quite a lot of wheeling and dealing, frequently trading players for picks, and the minors are not yet in, of course, folks. Hopefully it won't end soon, but we'll all have to see, won't we?

Generally, I look mainly for players listed as Captains or Leaders, and/or those with Intelligence and Work Ethic traits, at least, if not also Loyalty and or other suitable personality traits. When I do so, and build accordingly, my teams often do well, I believe. Do you often have much the same basic philosophies when it comes to roster construction and maintenance, and do you prefer mainly to build your teams mostly through the draft process or through free agency, or by frequently, if not always, importing/creating players and assigning then to certain teams at times? Just curious, that's all. CD out.

Last edited by Clovidequano Dovatha; 03-29-2018 at 12:16 PM.
Clovidequano Dovatha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2018, 01:46 PM   #2
koohead
Hall Of Famer

I take note of the selfish and disruptive players but don't necessarily try to actively get rid of them. I'd be a little more apt to trading them if a somewhat reasonable offer presents itself, but as long as they are producing statistically I'll keep them. My hope is the rest of the team's cohesion cancels out any negativity coming from those few individuals. Now if the bulk of my roster is made of those types, then yes I'd be trying very hard to turn the roster over because I can just imagine the clubhouse is not a fun place to be.
Old 06-17-2018, 09:23 PM   #3
Clovidequano Dovatha
Hall Of Famer

Anyone else want to perhaps chime in on this, by any chance? Just curious, that's all. I'd really like to see what others think in relation to this kind of thing or these kinds of things, to be sure. CD out.
Old 06-21-2018, 11:19 AM   #4
Timofmars
Minors (Triple A)

I also don't worry too much about negative personalities, but it is a factor when choosing players to acquire or get rid of, just like baserunning or work ethic. I think these personalities can slightly pull down team chemistry, but it doesn't seem to be a problem except for losing teams that lack any leadership. And I do try to have at least 1 leader in the team.

My team this season had only 1 leader (no captain), 1 disruptive, 1 outspoken, and 1 unmotivated. Team chemistry is at the maximum, ecstatic. But that's because the playoffs are approaching and we have the best record of any team.

But maybe my team's relatively poor personalities led team chemistry to rise slower than it would have otherwise, and that affects player morale, which I think has a small effect on player performance. But morale also wouldn't be this high if the players weren't good enough to get this good winning record. 2 of those 3 poor personalities are the best players on my team.

Now, if you have some fringe players with bad personalities hanging around the squad, I think it wouldn't be difficult to replace them.

Also related to this stuff is the different amounts that each player cares about each of the 5 morale factors in determining their overall rating. For example, you may have some players really pleased with the team record, but their overall morale rating may be low because they are performing badly and that is what they care most about.

This can a factor to consider as much as their personality class. For example, maybe you have a player that wants to be in the starting lineup and you just want him as a bench player. If that is a big factor for the player's overall morale, he may underperform slightly when his morale falls, so you may be more inclined to trade him for a player that doesn't mind being on the bench.
Timofmars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2018, 09:11 PM   #5
Clovidequano Dovatha
Hall Of Famer

Any more thoughts about things of this nature, anyone? If so, I'd really like to see them, if I can, please. Thank you for your time, and all. CD out.
Old 08-15-2018, 05:42 AM   #6
Trauma One
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Agree with the comments above.

I'll cut selfish or low work ethic guys sooner in the minors. If they play well though. I will keep them as I don't think having one or two on a team makes a difference (especially if you're winning).

I do think having at least one leader and preferably a captain helps your team. It seems like the team can get in a funk and go on a losing streak more if they don't have leadership.
Trauma One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2018, 09:46 AM   #7
Clovidequano Dovatha
Hall Of Famer

Where you can, with your rosters and depth charts, et cetera, do you generally prefer smaller pitching staffs and more position players, or deeper pitching staffs and shorter benches? Do you prefer building mainly around good pitching, speed, and defense, or mostly around good hitting and/or power? Just wondering, that's all. CD out.
Old 09-24-2018, 11:04 AM   #8
Fredrocker
Major Leagues

In all my leagues I tried to build around pitching defense and speed in that order...

About the clubhouse above, in drafts I tend to pick in the later rounds players that have high leadership and high work ethics... I will keep one or two disruptive Clubhouse characters but too many and I trade them away

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920AZ using Tapatalk
Fredrocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2018, 03:15 AM   #9
Trauma One
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clovidequano Dovatha View Post
Where you can, with your rosters and depth charts, et cetera, do you generally prefer smaller pitching staffs and more position players, or deeper pitching staffs and shorter benches? Do you prefer building mainly around good pitching, speed, and defense, or mostly around good hitting and/or power? Just wondering, that's all. CD out.
I like to carry 12 pitchers. Less than that and you can end up pitching guys that are tired which = less effective and more injuries.
Trauma One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2018, 08:44 AM   #10
Clovidequano Dovatha
Hall Of Famer

That does often depend on the era that one is currently in, whether that is true or not, right? CD out.
Old 02-14-2019, 03:58 PM   #11
Clovidequano Dovatha
Hall Of Famer

Bumping, because nobody answered my last question here, and I'm still hoping someone can answer it for me, please. CD out.
Old 11-01-2019, 12:24 AM   #12
Astro Boy 67
Bat Boy

Thanks guys for this info ... Because i take attention to disrupted and selfish players, but no pay to much attention to players with low work ethic.
Astro Boy 67 is offline   Reply With Quote