Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 16 > OOTP 16 - New to the Game?

OOTP 16 - New to the Game? If you have basic questions about the the latest version of our game, please come here!

Old 11-27-2015, 10:43 AM   #1
i_davis2001
Minors (Triple A)

Feeder league

I want my feeder league to go as follows:

High school feed to college, college feed to the pro's

I know some high school kids get drafted, but is there a way to set thjis order up? I have my teams already made, but I chose the complete feeder league. Can anyone help me?
i_davis2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2015, 06:10 PM   #2
i_davis2001
Minors (Triple A)

Bump
Old 11-28-2015, 12:43 PM   #3
i_davis2001
Minors (Triple A)

Can anyone help me?
Old 11-28-2015, 08:04 PM   #4
USF
All Star Starter

The game manual will actually be a good resource for you to set this up. This is the basic setting of an league universe.

PRO > COLLEGE FEEDER LEAGUE > HIGH SCHOOL FEEDER LEAGUE

I would recommend you read the game manual. I am sure there will be other helpful hints for you along the way as you read through it.
USF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2015, 08:27 PM   #5
i_davis2001
Minors (Triple A)

LOL...I did read it. It is not clear on how to set it up. I have every version of this game. I would not ask if I thought this was a stupid question.
Old 11-30-2015, 12:21 PM   #6
ohiodevil
OOTP Roster Team

To answer your question (from the manual):

High school players who are not drafted may continue on to college, or may become free agents. College players who are not drafted may become free agents.

If you are looking for high school players feed into college pool, then the college pool feeds into the draft, the answer is no. Feeder leagues are not meant to simulate real-world college and high school baseball. There is no early entry into the draft, recruiting, redshirting, or similar staples of college and high school baseball.
ohiodevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2015, 02:56 PM   #7
i_davis2001
Minors (Triple A)

Ok...I wonder what percentage will go to college if they are not drafted?
Old 11-30-2015, 04:50 PM   #8
Bowtie
All Star Starter

Feeder League Guide by Biggio509

The following was originally written by forum member Biggio509 and is the Feeder League Guide:
Quote:
Feeder League Guide I am seeing a lot of post asking about feeder leagues. I would like to request the board mods to sticky this or some other posts about feeders. Here are the basics. 1. Before deciding on number of feeders you need to decide how many draft rounds to use. The rule of thumb is you need 5 new players for each level of minors to replace guys who you want to cut are on long term injuries, retire, etc. Formula for suggested draft rounds. Rounds = 5 * levels of minors In a standard MLB setup you have AAA, AA, two A teams, Short A, 2 rookie levels. That is 7 levels so you need 35 rounds. 2. Number of feeder teams needed = (number of teams in league * number of draft rounds)/6 Each team feeder team produces 6 to 9 players for the draft. So dividing the number of players needed for the draft and dividing by 6 gives you the minimum number of feeders you need. **** important note ***** I forgot this in the original post. When adding feeders the game will change your number of draft rounds and players generated for X rounds to 81. You have to go back and change these settings. If you leave generate players for X rounds at 81, the game will generate players to fill a 81 round draft! Most set this number = to draft rounds. Some people generate players for 5 more rounds so there will be rookie free agents. If generate players for X > draft rounds use your generate players for X rounds in the formula above. **** Also if you use default settings the majority of players entering the draft from high school will usually be 19 and the majority of players coming from college will usually be 22. If you want to change this you can change league rules. You can set minimum and maximum ages lower. NB: The age limits on league rules is different from the age range under league options. The later sets at what age players will be created. If you want maximum time in feeders for all players after the league is created set created minimum and maximum age to the lowest age allowed in your league. An example from my high school leagues. Rules Age max 17 Age min 14 Players will mostly be 18 when they enter the draft. Options created age min 14 created age max 14 All new players enter as freshman and will play until they reach 18. By default new players can enter at any age that is allowable in your league so some guys get 4 years playing time some get 1. My preference is all get 4 years but it is realistic some guys just do not take up HS baseball until their junior or senior year. *** Note **** After some testing it seems at times OOTP may create larger draft classes if the created age min = rules min and created age max = rules max. The game can create older feeder league players that cause some classes to be larger than the 6 to 9 players per team per draft being draft eligible. This will not ruin your game but if want each team to produce a consistent 6 to 9 players that are draft eligible for a year then setting created age min and max to rules age min keeps the draft eligible players per team in that range. **** FAQ Q: Can I have more draft rounds? A: Absolutely. Just remember talent is distributed in something like a bell curve. The more rounds you have the more high and low level talent are generated. So over time the league might increase in quality. Q: Can I have fewer or more feeders? A: The answer again is yes. If you have too few feeders to produce a draft class the game will generate the extra players needed. If you have too many there will be undrafted free agents. Again note the number of feeders affects how many players are created. Too many will likely mean your league increases in quality over time. That may be what you intend to do. Q: Do players go from high school to college? A: Yes and no. High school leagues do not act as feeders for college. So players do not always go from HS to college. Undrafted HS players will go to college until their age reaches the age limit and drafted but unsigned players will go to college (edited: my original info was dated). Q: What mix of college and high school teams do I need? A: This is mostly preference. In real life some rookie leagues have age limits but OOTP does not enforce these. So you don't have to worry about too many older players not being able to play say in the AZL, which used to have limits. The only real thing to note here is young players are less developed and it takes them longer to develop on average. That means more chance for injuries and random talent hits while they are in the minors. So HS players are a bigger gamble in the draft. From my experience, it seems like college players are more likely to hit their full talent. The difference is not huge though. So how you divide teams between college and high school becomes more preference. Having all college or all high school will not adversely affect your game. It should be noted though that college players are often ready for A ball and some are close to AA at the draft while HS players rarely are. These are just the very basics any contributions are welcome.

Last edited by Bowtie; 11-30-2015 at 04:52 PM.
Bowtie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2015, 07:44 PM   #9
i_davis2001
Minors (Triple A)

so the game created 100 High School and 60 college feeder teams. How many rounds do I need?
Old 12-04-2015, 09:52 AM   #10
i_davis2001
Minors (Triple A)

Last question...promise
Old 12-04-2015, 03:22 PM   #11
anthonywvalentine
All Star Reserve

Im in the process of testing using Independent leagues as feeders. Ive created 2 HS feeders, 1 league will feed into the "College" Independent League and the other will feed into my Major League. My first stab at it only resulted in only 621 players for my first draft (about half of what im trying to get) so I need to try it again on another test and tweak the age restrictions again.

That would likely be the closest to the scenario you are looking for.
anthonywvalentine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2015, 03:35 PM   #12
ohiodevil
OOTP Roster Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by i_davis2001 View Post
so the game created 100 High School and 60 college feeder teams. How many rounds do I need?
I don't know the setup of your league, so read below and do the math....

How Many Feeder Leagues Should I Create?

The number of feeder leagues you create is completely up to you. However, most people who use feeder leagues prefer to set them up in such a way such that your parent league's first-year player draft will be completely populated with feeder league players. Because there are so many ways to configure your game, there isn't an easy formula for precisely how many feeder leagues you must create to accomplish this. However, here are some guidelines on how to decide about feeder leagues:

First, decide how many draft rounds you will need in your first-year player draft. The rule of thumb is that you will need five new players for each level of minors to replace players who retire, have long-term injuries, etc. Therefore:

# of rounds in amateur draft = 5 * the # of levels of minor leagues in your game

For example, you have a parent league with AAA, AA, A, and rookie leagues. That's four levels of minors. 4 x 5 = 20 You should configure your parent league to have 20 rounds in the amateur draft.

Next, decide on the number of feeder teams you will need to populate this draft. Each feeder team produces 6 to 9 players for the draft per year. Taking the number of players needed for the draft and dividing by 6 gives you the minimum number of feeders you need. The guideline here is:

# of feeder teams needed = (number of teams in parent league x number of draft rounds)/6

So, using the example from above, let's say your parent league has 16 teams. (16 x 20)/6 = 53.3 I need around 53 feeder league teams to completely feed my draft with feeder league players. The configuration of teams in your feeder leagues does not matter, as long as you have 53 teams or so. Many people increase this number, resulting in more players than there are draft slots. Players that go undrafted will become free agents. If you create a configuration that doesn't generate enough feeder league players, OOTP will generate fictional players for the draft pool to cover the difference.

http://manuals.ootpdevelopments.com/...feeder-leagues

Last edited by ohiodevil; 12-04-2015 at 03:38 PM.
Old 12-09-2015, 10:59 AM   #13
i_davis2001
Minors (Triple A)

Ok...almost got it. Now I need to know how to make sure that the historical players mix in with the feeder league players and if that is possible?
Old 12-14-2015, 09:20 PM   #14
i_davis2001
Minors (Triple A)

hello?
Old 12-15-2015, 12:03 PM   #15
ohiodevil
OOTP Roster Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by i_davis2001 View Post
hello?
I know you want help, but bumping threads like this is not going to win you many friends....just some friendly advice.

The answer to your question is here:

Out of the Park Developments Online Manuals

The manual has a lot of information, just read through it.
Old 12-27-2015, 12:30 AM   #16
i_davis2001
Minors (Triple A)

Nevermind...I will simply not use feeder leagues since I am so much trouble...
Old 03-07-2016, 10:09 PM   #17
i_davis2001
Minors (Triple A)

Ok...thought I give this some time. How do I turn on historical players for the draft and keep the college players too.
Old 03-17-2016, 12:49 PM   #18
bigsmooth
Major Leagues

I was wondering as well if I was missing a step --- I played one version of the game where it had players when drafted, it showed the High School or College they played for; another league I set up using the 2016 rosters/quickstart - it didn't show the team the drafted player played for --- did I miss a step in the process?
bigsmooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2016, 04:15 PM   #19
NoxMortem
Minors (Single A)

Feeder leagues are usually used for the MLB correctly? I first setup feeder leagues for the Rookie minor league but then quickly realized this leads to UI problems (those leagues are not accessible throughthe UI, they are used and you can even become managerof such a team but still it does not work correctly).

Does in OOTP 17 the automatical generation of teams work correctly? Do I still need to calculate how many feeder league teams I need to have all players for my draft out of it?
NoxMortem is offline   Reply With Quote