Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 20 > OOTP 20 - General Discussions

OOTP 20 - General Discussions Everything about the newest version of Out of the Park Baseball - officially licensed by MLB.com and the MLBPA.

Old 10-25-2019, 04:26 PM   #1
CG19
Bat Boy

Former pitchers as hitting coaches and vice versa

When I’m hiring coaches, sometimes I’ll find a manager who the game says would have a ton of hitters and no pitchers or a ton of pitchers and no hitters on his higher development influence list and good relationships list. So I grab them as hitting coaches and pitching coaches. The thing is, some of the good looking hitting coaches are former pitchers and some of the pitching coaches are former hitters. It feels off. Is it possible in game for that to happen or am I just making some really bad hires?
CG19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2019, 09:13 AM   #2
jdw31158
Minors (Double A)

I know in real life some good pitching coaches have been former catchers. Maybe the ex-pitchers who are now hitting coaches were good hitters. Click on their batting stats on their former player profile. I've seen some pretty good hitting pitchers over the years.
jdw31158 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2019, 10:03 AM   #3
TomVeal
All Star Starter

It seems to me that a former pitcher might be able to offer quite a bit of insight to batters, whether or not he ever hit very well himself.
TomVeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2019, 10:15 AM   #4
drksd4848
All Star Starter

I’ll cosign on that one. I’ve seen that too. In fact, I had the former ace on my fictional team become a hitting coach. It seemed weird, so I switched all his Hitting coach ratings to Equivalent pitching coach ratings and vice versa.

It seems like a small glitch in the game, because when in the history of baseball has anyone seen a pitcher become a hitting coach?
drksd4848 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2019, 03:09 PM   #5
redranger
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by drksd4848 View Post
I’ll cosign on that one. I’ve seen that too. In fact, I had the former ace on my fictional team become a hitting coach. It seemed weird, so I switched all his Hitting coach ratings to Equivalent pitching coach ratings and vice versa.

It seems like a small glitch in the game, because when in the history of baseball has anyone seen a pitcher become a hitting coach?

Seen it too and completely agree

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
redranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2019, 04:36 PM   #6
jeffw3000
Minors (Triple A)

I don't think too many pitchers could be good hitting coaches. I have also seen some good hitting pitchers over the years, but they are good when facing mostly fastballs in the pitcher's spot. I do not know that they would understand the art of hitting enough to be a hitting coach. Perhaps if you go way back in history and look at guys like Wes Ferrell, or Smoky Joe Wood who became an outfielder at the end of his career, or Don Newcombe who went to Japan at the end of his career and became an outfielder and Firstbaseman, but for the pitchers today, other than 2 way guys, I do not know of too many that could be hitting coaches.
jeffw3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2019, 02:38 PM   #7
Boomcoach
All Star Reserve

I wonder, IRL, how often pitching and hitting coaches work together. I would think that there could be some good insights gained. Pitching coach discussing how he would pitch to a player could help the hitting coach teach the player what to watch for.

Similar results could go the other way. May well already be happening, but it makes me want to ask someone. I have a friend who knows some of the local minor league coaches. I may see if he has any insight.

Let's Go Crew
Boomcoach is offline   Reply With Quote