Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Earlier versions of Out of the Park Baseball > Earlier versions of OOTP: Historical Simulations

Old 06-25-2008, 11:37 AM   #1
skunkle333
All Star Reserve

Playoffs only wish

I'm having a blast with OOTP9 and hoping today and tomorrow to complete setups for replaying the 1959 and 2005 seasons focusing on my White Sox.

For the past year or so playing DMB I got away from replaying full seasons. I spent most of my time by far just replaying some favorite World Series games or creating a round robin playoff system with several WSeries teams or teams I liked.

I just wish/hope down the road that we could create just a WSeries replay in OOTP9 without going through the whole season. That would fit me to a T.

I look forward to replaying the 59 World Series with my WSox against the Dodgers even if I have to 'cheat' in the month of Sept to make sure both of them make it to the WSeries.

Which brings up another question. If I accomplish the above desire is there a way to save that beginning WSeries so that I could replay it more than once?

Oh well...still learning and enjoying this fantastic OOTP9 with all the visual and audio perks. Good ol' Nellie Fox and Joe Crede never looked so good!
skunkle333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2008, 12:12 PM   #2
Kelric
Hall Of Famer

If you get the WS matchup you want, just save the game at that point and make a copy of it. Then you always have a copy you can start fresh from.

I don't understand the replay crowd if you always want realistic results. Where's the fun in knowing how everything is probably going to play out? Ah well.
Kelric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2008, 12:47 PM   #3
skunkle333
All Star Reserve

Kelric...

Thanks for the tip. Why didn't I think of that?

Know what you mean with the replays. When I do have a replay for a full season I just like things to be within the standard deviation curve or whatever they call it. Heck, it's tough getting my 59 White Sox to win their division. Hard to replicate all those 1 run games they won that year. Even somewhat difficult to get my 2005 White Sox to repeat.

But that's part of the fun of it.
Old 06-25-2008, 12:56 PM   #4
pstrickert
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by skunkle333 View Post
I'm having a blast with OOTP9 and hoping today and tomorrow to complete setups for replaying the 1959 and 2005 seasons focusing on my White Sox.

For the past year or so playing DMB I got away from replaying full seasons. I spent most of my time by far just replaying some favorite World Series games or creating a round robin playoff system with several WSeries teams or teams I liked.

I just wish/hope down the road that we could create just a WSeries replay in OOTP9 without going through the whole season. That would fit me to a T.

I look forward to replaying the 59 World Series with my WSox against the Dodgers even if I have to 'cheat' in the month of Sept to make sure both of them make it to the WSeries.

Which brings up another question. If I accomplish the above desire is there a way to save that beginning WSeries so that I could replay it more than once?

Oh well...still learning and enjoying this fantastic OOTP9 with all the visual and audio perks. Good ol' Nellie Fox and Joe Crede never looked so good!
Is this what you mean, skunkle? World Series: Milw Braves vs. NYY in 1957
Attached Images
pstrickert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2008, 01:08 PM   #5
pstrickert
Hall Of Famer

Here's the 1959 World Series matchup:
Attached Images
Old 06-25-2008, 01:21 PM   #6
pstrickert
Hall Of Famer

skunkle, I simmed the 1959 WS. Here are the results:

Game 1: Chicago 4, LA 1 (Pierce over Drysdale)
Game 2: LA 5, Chicago 4 in 10 innings (Podres over Moore)
Game 3: LA 7, Chicago 0 (Williams over Shaw)
Game 4: Chicago 10, LA 8 (Moore over Sherry)
Game 5: Chicago 8, LA 5 (Pierce over Drysdale)
Game 6: LA 5, Chicago 3 (Podres over Wynn)

and

Game 7: Chicago 3, LA 2 (Rudolph over Labine)
PH Romano hits the game-winning single in the bottom of the ninth
Old 06-25-2008, 01:38 PM   #7
skunkle333
All Star Reserve

You da man...pstrickert...

Yippee! Too much excitement for an old man's heart.

I've taken up too much of your time on this forum. You are one terrific helper. They should pay you buy the hour.

Anyway. How in the world did you do that? And what a WSeries that was. Mercy. Good ol' Rudolph who wasn't a class pitcher that year and didn't play much. Excellent.

Can you show me the ropes before my daughter arrives with my two super grandsons?

Thanks. You made my day!

OOTP9 baseball...solid sim...with pitch by pitch surrounded by player pics...ball flight...and sounds!! What a blast.

Last edited by skunkle333; 06-25-2008 at 11:34 PM.
Old 06-25-2008, 02:31 PM   #8
pstrickert
Hall Of Famer

Someone else may have a simpler method, but here's what I did:

[removed by pstrickert]

NOTE: I havent' tried it yet, but I imagine you could set the seven-day lineups for each team. By doing so, you could manually create the same lineups as in real life (or close to it). Also, you have to sim the season until the Playoffs begin. This will advance the game to the first day of the World Series. When I did this, I noticed a slight problem that I'll report to Markus. For some reason, a few games were still simmed during the season (even though I had cleared the entire schedule).

Last edited by pstrickert; 06-27-2008 at 10:50 PM.
Old 06-25-2008, 03:43 PM   #9
skunkle333
All Star Reserve

Fantastic Pstrickert...

That took awhile for you to work on and I really appreciate your time.

Gotta go do some mowing and a few chores and then I'll give it a go. Already setup 1959. Just need to put in the player pics and the stadiums. Adjusting the ball locations on the stadiums may take awhile but at least I only have to do two of them.

Thanks again. Something to look forward to as I mow in 90 degree heat.

Last edited by skunkle333; 06-25-2008 at 11:36 PM.
Old 06-25-2008, 05:49 PM   #10
pstrickert
Hall Of Famer

Let me add a couple of more thoughts:

1. Under Game Setup/League Setup/Options, check "Disable Playoffs." (Even though I cleared the schedule, OOTP still wants to schedule playoff games. That accounts for the unwanted, extra games I mentioned before.)
2. Change the General Strategic Settings to "3-Man Rotation" if appropriate. (Rule of thumb: Subtract 1 from the size of the regular season rotation.)

EDIT: I still cannot rid the league of about a dozen games in April, even though I cleared the schedule and disabled playoffs. I BZ'd the problem, though.

Last edited by pstrickert; 06-25-2008 at 09:05 PM.
Old 06-26-2008, 01:34 AM   #11
Le Grande Orange
Hall Of Famer

I've asked that OOTP include historically correct post-season schedules for historical leagues to complement the historically correct regular season schedules... but Markus put other items ahead of it in the coding queue. Hopefully it'll be in for next year.

In the meantime, if you want to ask about how the post-season schedule worked in any particular MLB year, just ask away.
Le Grande Orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2008, 01:47 PM   #12
skunkle333
All Star Reserve

Well I'm really feeling bad about all of this. You are a nice fella Pstrikert and you spent a fair amount of time I would think processing and typing out those steps so I could come up with just the 59 WSeries replay.

Forgot to tell you I'm 63 and not the sharpest oldie on the block. Anyway I'm going to take a breather for today I think. I just spent about 2 hours trying to duplicate what you listed. No dice. Simmed the season to the playoffs only after setting everything up and triple checking so I thought I had it right. Boom. My playoffs entries which went well with the CWS/LAD would not show. Nothing. Tried everything.

So then I worked on setting the ball locations in their two stadiums. Finally...took me several efforts...I was at least able to do an exhibition game with CWS/LAD. And no player pics showed. Mercy. I was sure I had that down pat with my v8 play for the last few months.

I did a few innings and it was nice to see the stadium and player names but I'm drained. I had to do a total game reinstall last night late because of some PC troubles. Maybe late tonight or tomorrow I'll have time to work on the player pics and a few corrected ball locations in the stadiums and then I'll go back to trying your setup again. Of course with all the checking and double checking seeking and finding...I forgot to save my original setup. So I'll be starting all over again.

Don't spend anymore of your time on this. I'll work it out. You gave me good directions.

LeGrande Orange...
My only interest is trying to find a way to just play the World Series with predetermined teams so I'm thinking your setup might not apply.

Right now my brain hurts and I'll take my leave of OOTP9 for awhile. Still like the game but a little of the pizzaz has worn off.
Old 06-26-2008, 05:16 PM   #13
pstrickert
Hall Of Famer

skunkle, I sent you an e-mail. Hopefully, you got it.
Old 06-26-2008, 06:51 PM   #14
skunkle333
All Star Reserve

pstrickert...

Got your fantastic email. DL and will give it a whirl when I take my grandsons home.
More anticipation. You have to be one of the good guys with all the work on this that you have done. Splendid.

OOTP9...fine pbp...all the pics you would want...sounds...ball flight...and some great guys in the community to help the 'not so smart'...
Old 06-27-2008, 12:46 PM   #15
pstrickert
Hall Of Famer

Is the quickstart working OK for you, skunkle? I can always make changes to it and re-upload it. Just let me know!
Old 06-27-2008, 02:46 PM   #16
skunkle333
All Star Reserve

pstrickert...

Replied to your email directly but guess you didn't get it. Sorry. Everything is fine and the pics are great. I get to the Oct 1 first game and click manage then I go in to try and change my lineup or the Dodgers (gave Dodgers another human manager) and as soon as I click either teams lineup bar on the top of the screen it crashes.

Tried it 4 times. I set myself up as manager of the WSox and Commish if that makes any difference. Can't even play an exhibition game. As soon as I go to the lineup screen it crashes. I really would rather you just let it be. Maybe after a few patches it will be ok. You have just spent too much time on this.

I'm enjoying the 2008 season and working on my 2k5 install setup.

Appreciate all you've done. Enjoy the weekend!!

OOTP9...fine pbp...all the pics you would want...sounds...ball flight...and some great guys in the community to help the 'not so smart'...
Old 06-27-2008, 05:58 PM   #17
pstrickert
Hall Of Famer

I sent you another e-mail with a link, skunkle.

BTW, I checked the original 1959 World Series quickstart and, yes, it crashes for me, too. However, my 1959 World Series quickstart works fine.
Old 06-27-2008, 09:36 PM   #18
skunkle333
All Star Reserve

[B][I]Incredible! First time in my 40+ years of playing dice and sim baseball that I've begun the 59 World Series replay with all the OOTP9 perks. Very good pbp script (mostly pitch by pitch)...great sounds...ball flight that is accurate. I was in a hurry and I'm just now getting ready to rush out the door. But I had to leave this note for pstrickert.

You did it. I'll work on ballparks later and might just go ahead and use today's parks for the teams. But this is superb. I was in such a hurry I wanted to get out of the game so I could take my time later. Then I realized you can't do that. So I played the first two innings and then simmed to the 8th and finished up. A squeaker with those pesky Dodgers winning game one 6-5 while the Sox had the tie run on 3rd.

Anyone doubting getting OOTP9? Doubt no more...grab this gem of a game.

Thanks pstrickert. I forgot to save a backup before playing so I'm wondering how to do a full replay later on after I finish this one. I guess I could just put a different name on the quickstart and go from there. Right?

You know what I'll be doing late tonight. Fantastic. Nellie Fox and Aparicio never looked so good!

OOTP9...just simply a solid game with realism that reaches the full baseball atmosphere!
Old 06-27-2008, 10:34 PM   #19
pstrickert
Hall Of Famer

I'm happy for you, skunkle! If you need any other WS quickstart, let me know. I'll be happy to create it for you.

BTW, you're right about saving the quickstart with a different name. That's all you need to do.
Old 06-28-2008, 12:28 AM   #20
skunkle333
All Star Reserve

[quote=pstrickert;2520359]...If you need any other WS quickstart, let me know. I'll be happy to create it for you.

Those are dangerous words you might regret. Hmmm...
Hey...I would be more than willing to pay money for you to do my setup work! Email me a price. I just really appreciate all your time and expertise.

Well...it's 10:30 pm here in the St. Louis Metro area on the Illinois side. Gave my sweetheart a good night kiss (38 years of great marriage) and said 'Honey...I'll be playing some OOTPark baseball now.' She just smiles. Heck, I took Strat on our honeymoon.

Looking forward to game two at U. S. Cellular field. Go White Sox...

OOTP9...a great baseball sim that bombards you with atmosphere and a 1,000 choices and options...

Last edited by skunkle333; 06-28-2008 at 12:29 AM.