Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Earlier versions of Out of the Park Baseball > Earlier versions of OOTP: Historical Simulations
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-05-2006, 04:27 AM   #1
Qrusher14242
All Star Starter

Talking Rogers Hornsby Still playing at 51

In my new Historical sim with the new DB, Rogers Hornsby is still playing at 51. I have the aging all set to 1.0. Here's his career line so far:

AVG: .317
Hits: 4776
AB: 15,004
G: 1211
2B: 866
HR: 485
RBI: 2349
VORP: 1480.0

Anyone seen anyone else play over 50?
Attached Images
Qrusher14242 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2006, 06:08 AM   #2
PerfectMisnomer
All Star Starter

Amazing, at age 45 he hits .345.

PCBL -- Commissioner, Troy Heroes GM

Current Avatar: SP Keith Ellison
20-8, 2.59 ERA and CL All-Star Game Starter
PerfectMisnomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2006, 07:08 AM   #3
redmarkYankees
All Star Starter

Those lines from 1942 onwards mirror what I've seen in my tests and I posted briefly about elsewhere.

It seems fielding ratings drop much earlier than hitting ratings, which are maintained too long. Almost like the game is trying to create DHs. HOF-calibre players - in a non-DH era - should retire, rather than pinch-hitting for several years.
Old 06-05-2006, 07:22 AM   #4
Raidergoo
Hall Of Famer

Wonder if the WW2 monster bit him and he was "invited" to hang around for a few more years.
Raidergoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2006, 09:03 AM   #5
swampdragon
Hall Of Famer

What is the injury setting? Unless injuries are on normal, I don't think this is something to worry about. I'm very happy to see that Markus has pushed the development cliff so far back.
“Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies." -- C.S. Lewis
swampdragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2006, 09:20 AM   #6
CONN CHRIS
Global Moderator

In an odd way, I kind of like it that some players can hang on to an advanced age in our little alternate universes.

In one of the prior iterations of Puresim, if a player was kept on the big team roster and continually offered new contracts (human owned team only), you would occasionally get a 25 to 30 year career.

I once had Victor Starffin (Russian born pitching star in the early days of Nippon baseball) on my team. He debuted at age 20 or so and had a great career. By 38 or so, he became quite average and flat out stunk by age 42 or so. I was so attached to having him on my team that I kept offering him contracts. I used a 4 man rotation and limited relief roles (old school) so it wasn't too hard to hide him on the team. I would bring him in for mop-up situations (either way) and pull him after he put a runner on (to try and not torpedo his career ERA which was stellar). He retired at 53 IIRC
Old 06-05-2006, 09:34 AM   #7
redmarkYankees
All Star Starter

It's certainly good that players aren't all hitting terminal decline at 35, but 51 might be taking things a little far... Anyway, IMO it just needs a tweak so that HOF-calibre players who have effectively become DHs in a non-DH era should retire, not sit on the bench for 5 years.
Old 06-05-2006, 09:55 AM   #8
Bobbuttons
Hall Of Famer

If this gets tinkered with in the patch, I will be very disappointed. Many past MLB players have stayed in the game into their mid to late 40's. In the case of Hornsby above, it's not as though he was still a superstar at age 50. After his big year at 45, he wasn't an everyday player anymore. If the very rare person can stick it out until 50 or so as a bench player or reliever, I don't mind. If we start seeing them in the rotation and starting everyday.. that's another thing entirely.

I have a fondness for ballplayers that stick in the league for a long time. In my fictional historical replay on 6.5, Cal Eldred hung around out of the bullpen for the last 13 years of his career. He pitched very well through his 40's and retired just shy of his 51st birthday.

Gibson swings, and a fly ball to deep right field! This is gonna be a home run! Unbelievable! A home run for Gibson! And the Dodgers have won the game, 5 to 4; I don't believe what I just saw! I don't believe what I just saw!
Bobbuttons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2006, 10:02 AM   #9
Draft Dodger
Hall Of Famer

looks like at the age of 49 and 50 he wasn't just pinch hitting. he had more games than atbats...which means he was being used as a pinch runner or defensive replacement.

50 year old PH, I can handle. 50 year old PR or defensive replacements I'm not too fond of.

15 GB Webhosting for $6.95 a month

IMO we are best off abandoning that sinking ship that is Off Topic to the rats infesting it and just starting a whole new Baseball Forum from scratch.
Draft Dodger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2006, 10:05 AM   #10
redmarkYankees
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draft Dodger
looks like at the age of 49 and 50 he wasn't just pinch hitting. he had more games than atbats...which means he was being used as a pinch runner or defensive replacement.

50 year old PH, I can handle. 50 year old PR or defensive replacements I'm not too fond of.
I'd be surprised if he was being used as defensive replacement; I'm sure from my tests that the reason he lost the starters position is that his defensive ratings had gone. Speed may not have done - so pinch running.
Old 06-05-2006, 10:08 AM   #11
Draft Dodger
Hall Of Famer

just noticed too - 30 years for the Cardinals, then goes to Boston. I hope they didn't trade him

IMO we are best off abandoning that sinking ship that is Off Topic to the rats infesting it and just starting a whole new Baseball Forum from scratch.
Old 06-05-2006, 10:35 AM   #12
CONN CHRIS
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobbuttons
If this gets tinkered with in the patch, I will be very disappointed. Many past MLB players have stayed in the game into their mid to late 40's.
I sure hope that career end dates don't become utterly predictable. With all the flexibility in this version I was hoping to see a player every now and then like Luke Easter who hung on in the minor leagues into his fifties and was still smashing home runs in softball games well into his sixties.
Old 06-05-2006, 10:47 AM   #13
Chappy
Hall Of Famer

Fake Horsby is surely an inspiration to Julio Franco.
Chappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2006, 10:48 AM   #14
CBL-Commish
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by redmarkYankees
It's certainly good that players aren't all hitting terminal decline at 35, but 51 might be taking things a little far... Anyway, IMO it just needs a tweak so that HOF-calibre players who have effectively become DHs in a non-DH era should retire, not sit on the bench for 5 years.
Except that there are HOFers who spent the last five years of their career as pinch hitters or part-time players in a non-DH league. Enos Slaughter, for example.

Julio Franco isn't quite a HOF-caliber player, but he used to be an All Star shortstop. His fielding skills have deteriorated to the point where he's a first baseman/pinch hitter yet he's hung on in the NL as a part-timer for nearly a decade.

And if you expand your criteria to eras or universes where independent minors were more common (say real life, prior to 1930) you'd often find HOF type players spending the last five or ten years of their careers through their mid-40s still playing in lower leagues.
Old 06-05-2006, 11:00 AM   #15
redmarkYankees
All Star Starter

Fair enough. I don't want every HOF-calibre player to retire as soon as he loses effectiveness in defense, just appears to be a little too far the other way at the moment. There must be plenty of RL examples of players who didn't want to sit on the bench or eke out a few years just to get another 200 hits, but retired as soon as they thought they were past their best. For instance, pitchers seem to be doing this more in game than hitters do. In 3 sims that went beyond a few seasons, Cy Young always seemed to retire when still a starter, and still effective.
Old 06-05-2006, 11:49 AM   #16
Gastric ReFlux
Hall Of Famer

Guess he's obsessed about reaching 5000 hits.
Gastric ReFlux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2006, 12:45 PM   #17
rogmax11
All Star Starter

Stolen base totals, as well as the arc relative to aging, are off-the-charts wrong.
rogmax11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2006, 01:31 PM   #18
JWay
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogmax11
Stolen base totals, as well as the arc relative to aging, are off-the-charts wrong.
i noticed it too
JWay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2006, 02:48 PM   #19
Qrusher14242
All Star Starter

I also had ruth still around until he was 44(i think). His Contact rating in his last year was 96!
Attached Images
Qrusher14242 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2006, 02:49 PM   #20
Draft Dodger
Hall Of Famer

1,000 homers. Eat it Barry