Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 20 > Perfect Team

Perfect Team Perfect Team 2.0 - The online revolution continues! Battle thousands of PT managers from all over the world and become a legend.

Old 05-13-2019, 12:12 AM   #1
fredbeene
All Star Starter

i play PT to learn players of the past

I am playing PT to learn players of the past to help me enjoy OOTPB better.
I know all the 70s and 80s and major players of the past.

but now i know people like
tom tresh
al dark
hack wilson
bob elliot
Jimmy Ray Hart
Don Mossi
Bill Skowron
Johnny Mize
many many more

that is FUN for me
it is like when i opened up my first pack in the early 70s with no clue but eventually got to know them (or make up my own back stories)

they are all household names for me now....and we i view old videos or radio broadcasts, i recognize the players!
hey look there is that dude tom tresh in the all star game! his is on my team
fredbeene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2019, 06:02 AM   #2
One Great Matrix
All Star Starter

Yeah, I found playing PT to be a good reminder or lesson in baseball history as well. When I did simulations on my own (for the most part), I did it only from 1942 on, and that brought some players to mind, too, but I just started a pre-1942 sim, too. All of it brings the rich history of Major League Baseball to the front of your mind from time to time rather than just wondering how your favorite local franchise is doing today.

One Great Matrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2019, 06:57 AM   #3
justpatrick
Major Leagues

It´s funny, I am the complete opposite. I stopped following the game when I moved to Europe, back in 1999, and to be honest the whole steroid thing with what amounted to Arena Baseball soured me on the sport even before I left. So now I am learning the new players and when I see their names in the headlines I recognize them, something that wasn´t true in the past.
I am much more familiar with Heinie Groh and Rollie Hemsley, than I am with Manny Machado and Buster Posey, and I still think OBA and slugging are important all on their own. But hey, depsite what Edwin Starr said, I now know WAR is great!
I will still never get the new way of managing the game, and only the most basic of sabremetrics is within my grasp, but at least I know who these guys are now!

Last edited by justpatrick; 05-13-2019 at 06:58 AM.
justpatrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2019, 08:45 AM   #4
neugey
All Star Reserve

I seem to be acquiring a fair amount of cards from the Golden Era, particularly the 50's. The stars and great performers from back then sure seem to stand out a lot more than what we see with the current 2000-10's.

PBA - Cincinnati Reds
MLM - Baltimore Orioles
neugey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2019, 09:05 AM   #5
HRBaker
Hall Of Famer

If you enjoy oldtime baseball, and want to learn more about the players, Megacards use to produce cards of players from 1904-1042 with photos taken by Charles Conlon. The backs of these cards have wonderful stories about the players. Check out...

http://conloncards.blogspot.com/

It's worth a visit.

HRBaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2019, 01:46 PM   #6
OMGPuppies
All Star Starter

I wish they would change the pull rate to more favor historic cards

OMGPuppies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2019, 01:55 PM   #7
Magus978
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by OMGPuppies View Post
I wish they would change the pull rate to more favor historic cards
A million times this. As someone who'd prefer to play with all historical players (I do use a few live players on my other two teams), I love pulling old time players and seeing what they could do

http://twitch.tv/GanbaMagus

Magus978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2019, 01:57 PM   #8
Cheesehead1964
Major Leagues

Quote:
Originally Posted by HRBaker View Post
If you enjoy oldtime baseball, and want to learn more about the players, Megacards use to produce cards of players from 1904-1042 with photos taken by Charles Conlon. The backs of these cards have wonderful stories about the players. Check out...

http://conloncards.blogspot.com/

It's worth a visit.

Those cards are great! I have a bunch of reproductions.

I'm a huge fan of baseball history and usually read many books during the season - currently finishing "Satchell" and a couple books by Buck O'Niel (who is seriously the coolest guy!).

My Leland Giants Negro Leagues theme team has gotten me hugely interested in the Negro Leagues...
Cheesehead1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2019, 05:43 PM   #9
neugey
All Star Reserve

I like giving modern nicknames to my historical players ... for instance I think of Don Newcombe as Duke Nukem.

PBA - Cincinnati Reds
MLM - Baltimore Orioles
neugey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2019, 06:09 PM   #10
GlassGuyBob
Minors (Double A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheesehead1964 View Post
Those cards are great! I have a bunch of reproductions.

I'm a huge fan of baseball history and usually read many books during the season - currently finishing "Satchell" and a couple books by Buck O'Niel (who is seriously the coolest guy!).

My Leland Giants Negro Leagues theme team has gotten me hugely interested in the Negro Leagues...
I was kind of sad that Buck didn't get a Negro League card. He wasn't particularly notable for his on field play but certainly an important figure in baseball history and I would have liked to own his card.

GlassGuyBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2019, 06:24 PM   #11
BMW
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlassGuyBob View Post
I was kind of sad that Buck didn't get a Negro League card. He wasn't particularly notable for his on field play but certainly an important figure in baseball history and I would have liked to own his card.
I was just thinking about that the other day, and I agree. We should petition to get Buck O'Neil a card. I met him once at the Hall of Fame back when Gary Carter was getting inducted.

Honestly, he was instrumental in getting a lot more attention for the Negro League players by being an ambassador and storyteller. He wasn't a Hall of Famer, but was good enough at least to be considered for induction. He just didn't get the votes.
Old 05-14-2019, 10:55 AM   #12
Ty Cobb
Hall Of Famer

As someone who rarely plays the modern players, I'm overjoyed to see this generating interest in old timers. They were an outrageous and fun bunch.

“What’s the most you ever lost on a coin toss?”

“Everyone is an atheist until Templars begin marching in the rain.”
Absinthe makes the heart grow fonder.
Society's tolerance for violent criminals is dumbfounding.
"Colonics for EVERYONE!"
Ty Cobb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2019, 11:10 AM   #13
Cheesehead1964
Major Leagues

Quote:

Yeah me too.
Cheesehead1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2019, 11:18 AM   #14
stl jason
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW View Post
I was just thinking about that the other day, and I agree. We should petition to get Buck O'Neil a card. I met him once at the Hall of Fame back when Gary Carter was getting inducted.

Honestly, he was instrumental in getting a lot more attention for the Negro League players by being an ambassador and storyteller. He wasn't a Hall of Famer, but was good enough at least to be considered for induction. He just didn't get the votes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheesehead1964 View Post
Yeah me too.

just submit him in the request form.... 6 community requested cards were just added yesterday... no reason he can't be one of them the next time

PT card request
stl jason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2019, 05:13 PM   #15
BMW
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by stl jason View Post
just submit him in the request form.... 6 community requested cards were just added yesterday... no reason he can't be one of them the next time

PT card request
I did submit one yesterday, so here's hoping.
Old 05-19-2019, 10:30 AM   #16
Westheim
Hall Of Famer

Today's player that I never, ever heard of until five minutes ago:

Sixto Lezcano

Apparently he won something for the 1979 Brewers. There's a glove on his card, but his defense sucks … (huddles over to Wikipedia)

Resident Mets Cynic - The Mets from 1962 onwards, here.
Westheim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2019, 10:44 AM   #17
Ty Cobb
Hall Of Famer

Sixto was a great platoon option in the 70s. Defense, not so much even though I recall him having a cannon for an arm. Could hit the ball a long way, and the way the Brew Crew was at the time, that was all that mattered.

“What’s the most you ever lost on a coin toss?”

“Everyone is an atheist until Templars begin marching in the rain.”
Absinthe makes the heart grow fonder.
Society's tolerance for violent criminals is dumbfounding.
"Colonics for EVERYONE!"
Ty Cobb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2019, 10:46 AM   #18
Westheim
Hall Of Famer

He actually did win the Gold Glove in '79 - the only one of his career. He's only like a 49 in RF in the game, so that's why I wondered...

Resident Mets Cynic - The Mets from 1962 onwards, here.
Westheim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2019, 10:48 AM   #19
justpatrick
Major Leagues

I really don´t understand the defensive ratings for the older players. Lezcano was an excellent rightfielder with a great arm, but is far from the only curious rating. Many guys who were ranked by their peers as among the best gloves in the league, and in some cases up to that time, are rated quite poorly in PT.

For example, Mickey Vernon was universally considered one of the finest fielding 1B in the game, and yet sucks here. I think Joe DiMaggio´s best rating in CF is 75, while Duke Snider is in the 50s, neither of which are an accurate assessment of their skills. Harry Hooper is another problem child. On the flip side, there are a few guys, such as Jay Bell, that I believe are rated much too highly. The developers really need to do their homework better on the defense and take into account what gloves were in use at the time and rate accordingly.
Sorry for the rant, but the old-timers are more real to me than modern players.

justpatrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2019, 11:08 AM   #20
<Pion>
All Star Starter

Many people may remember the tragic death of Lyman Bostock. But overshadowed by that was him donating a month of salary because he was in a slump...

https://www.latimes.com/archives/la-...e22-story.html
<Pion> is offline   Reply With Quote