Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 20 > OOTP 20 - General Discussions
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

OOTP 20 - General Discussions Everything about the newest version of Out of the Park Baseball - officially licensed by MLB.com and the MLBPA.

Old 04-11-2019, 12:52 AM   #1
fredbeene
All Star Starter

ratings vs sttatomatic

I suppose i am getting confused with ratings because of my days with stratomatic.

ie they had a speed rating of 1-20 everyone fell into bucket 8 - 17
you would pick a card between 1 and 20 which determines safe out if in range of speed minus throwing arm

if i adjust rating to be 1-20 (using 1977 as sample) 395 players.
I don't even know what 1 means....that they can barely walk to first?
is it percentile?
Chris Spier is a 2
I am pretty sure he was not considered the slowest person in the league
Fred Lynn a 4
Lee May a 4
Call me crazy but fred lynn can probably outrun lee may
Ralph Garr an 11

Soooo is this because scouting is off?

I am not sure why I would want a 1-20 scale. If I have 1-100 it is more granula and people that had a 20 are sown as low as 96

Largest speed to stealing ratio
larvel blanks, 86 stealing, 12 speed
Not sure why baserunning is not icnluding in the MLB player list
fredbeene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2019, 10:30 AM   #2
Reed
All Star Starter

Under the tab “global setting” , What is your player rating scale set to???
You can have none displayed, 1-5, 2-8, 1-10, 1-20, 20-80, 1-100. The higher the number the better. Apparently scouts use a rating scale of 2-8 where 5 is average and each number above or below is 1 standard deviation.
If you are use to strat, you might want to use 1-20 with 11 being about average.
Hope this answers your question.
Reed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2019, 10:50 AM   #3
Matt Arnold
OOTP Developer

Keep in mind we use ratings differently than SOM. The closest parallels would be:
Speed = "get the lead chance"
Stealing = "stealing digits"
Baserunning = running rating

A guy with a speed rating of 2 with a high stealing rating would be like your D3 (20-6) type of player in SOM. They won't run often, but when they do, they're very successful at it.

And the different rating scales are just to show what you want. Some people want 1-100 because they want to see it in as much detail as possible. Some people like to use 1-5 or 2-8 because they want more fog of war.
Matt Arnold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2019, 07:15 PM   #4
NoOne
Hall Of Famer

the speed rating isn't inaccurate, i wouldn't think. it's a measurable bit of data like height or weight. maybe a little give and take, but any more than that would be saying some people don't know how to use a stopwatch in 2019.

stealing ability is everything for %-success. the speed will just increase opportunities and there for more steals/year.

if ihave a 1-2speed guy with maxed stealing, i set their player strat to supper aggressive stealing - maxed or one-tick down.

my coach is even on the stealing slider, and that matters -- i think. that's what it'll be relative to in the player strat screen. so, if coach is super aggressive and player is , that may be too much...

always ' adjust to strategy' never ignore.

anyway, that clod can get ~5-15 sb/year and a high %. where as a max speed guy with do ~50-100+ depending on settings. ("50" would be whatever the high end guys reach in your league)
NoOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2019, 01:06 AM   #5
Mariner and Giants Fan
All Star Starter

I think that the SB is a lost art in today's baseball as players are to concerned with getting injured and it is not supported by analytics as not being worth the risk. the 70's and 80's were so much fun to watch whereas nowadays it is about the long ball and the base on balls, yawn. I still love the game but it was much more exciting to watch back in those running days...
Old 04-12-2019, 03:01 AM   #6
jimmysthebestcop
Banned

Infractions: 0/2 (5)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mariner and Giants Fan View Post
I think that the SB is a lost art in today's baseball as players are to concerned with getting injured and it is not supported by analytics as not being worth the risk. the 70's and 80's were so much fun to watch whereas nowadays it is about the long ball and the base on balls, yawn. I still love the game but it was much more exciting to watch back in those running days...
Well advanced metrics usually favor against attempted steals and bunts. Especially the hardcore strict sabermetrics.
jimmysthebestcop is offline   Reply With Quote