Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Out of the Park Baseball 25 > OOTP Mods > OOTP Mods - Rosters, Photos, and Quick-Starts
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-26-2016, 10:58 AM   #28961
baseball-birthdays.com
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by FatJack View Post
Bryan Clutterbuck, who pitched for the Brewers in 1986 and 1989, died of colon cancer on August 23, 2016. He was 56.
RIP, Bryan.

I tend to be somewhat doctor-phobic, but... for anyone who has any reluctance toward having a colonoscopy, the procedure itself is a snap (the day-before prep is annoying). My gastroenterologist guy says that colo-rectal cancer is a particularly nasty way to go, and a colonoscopy is a pretty effective preventative measure.
baseball-birthdays.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2016, 11:08 AM   #28962
cheech411
Banned

Infractions: 0/1 (1)
u r right!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by baseball-birthdays.com View Post
RIP, Bryan.

I tend to be somewhat doctor-phobic, but... for anyone who has any reluctance toward having a colonoscopy, the procedure itself is a snap (the day-before prep is annoying). My gastroenterologist guy says that colo-rectal cancer is a particularly nasty way to go, and a colonoscopy is a pretty effective preventative measure.
went at 55 all clear good to 65 my father in law died from it GET CHECKED !!!
cheech411 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2016, 02:43 PM   #28963
Merkle923
Hall Of Famer

Not to change our purpose here but the day-before prep has gone from the nightmare of starving and purging with awful tasting concoctions (2007) to the very annoying starving with mildly citrus flavored "prep" (2010) to the controversial-but-gaining-acceptance joy of being able to have all the ice cream, clear soups, and coffee you want until about 10 hours before the colonoscopy (seriously).
Merkle923 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2016, 05:50 PM   #28964
bobb49
Minors (Double A)

Wow, this turned to c#$p real fast....Merk, please don't post any colonoscopy related photos, with or with Topps logo....play ball!!!!!
bobb49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2016, 07:53 PM   #28965
SDL
Minors (Triple A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merkle923 View Post
Tough in all uniforms in color, this is from one of "the other" Jeter's two camps with the White Sox, 1973 and 1974.

Today's Topps updates (KC): 41-44 John Jeter; 45-46 Darrell Johnson; 47-50 Frank Johnson; 51-52 Garry Jestadt; 53-54 Joey Jay; 55-56 Paul Jata; 57-60 Jesse Jefferson (all Baltimore and Toronto, will post below for our friend Ian); 61-64 Deron Johnson; 65-66 Cliff Johnson; 67-68 Bart Johnson; 69-72 Alex Johnson; 73-76 Larry Jaster; 77-78 Hal Jeffcoat Jr (Giants system); 79-80 Al Javier
Jeter was a Rule 5 pick of the Orioles after the '64 season and was returned to the Pirates the next spring. Did Topps ever get any shots of him in a Orioles uniform?
SDL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2016, 08:22 AM   #28966
baseball-birthdays.com
All Star Starter

Harry MacPherson 1944

Harry MacPherson, 1944 Boston Braves. The image is sampled from a scan posted to eBay by knucker and should be a significant improvement on the current facepack image.
Attached Images
Old 08-27-2016, 07:30 PM   #28967
Merkle923
Hall Of Famer

Johnny Jeter in 1965

On whether or not Topps got Johnny Jeter during his camp-only stay with Baltimore, I honestly can't say. I don't recall whether I ever looked at the Jeter Topps file or not - there was probably nothing I was looking for to answer the several hundred questions I had about the history of Topps photography that was likely to have been answered by its contents.

However, Topps was very good about capturing those Rule 5 guys of the mid-'60s (especially in 1964, when they must have shot at least 100 of them, nearly all of whom would never appear in the majors), so I wouldn't be surprised.

As evidenced below, this much is certain: The Baltimore Sun got Jeter in '65:

Last edited by Merkle923; 08-04-2017 at 12:42 AM.
Merkle923 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2016, 01:11 AM   #28968
FatJack
All Star Reserve

Neil Berry (1922 - 2016)

Former major league infielder Neil Berry passed away on Wednesday (August 23, 2016). He was 94.

Berry was born in Kalamazoo, Michigan, and attended the same high school as Derek Jeter. He was offered a contract by the St. Louis Cardinals, but turned them down to sign with the Tigers in 1942. After his debut season, in which he hit .231, Neil spent the next three seasons in the military. He returned to the Tigers system in 1946 and had two solid years with the AAA Buffalo Bisons, hitting .286 in 1946 and .299 in 1947. In '47, he hit the only home run of his professional career. It came against the Syracuse Chiefs on September 21 during the International League playoffs.

Neil spent the next 5 years with the Detroit Tigers. He was mostly used as an infield back-up, but was the primary second baseman for Detroit in 1949, appearing at the position in 95 games. In spring training in 1950, manager Red Rolfe expressed that Neil might win the starting shortstop job because of the speed he offered over incumbent Johnny Lipon. But Lipon's bat (he hit .293 that year) kept him in the starting lineup and Neil only played in 39 games. Berry continued as an infield back-up in 1951 and 1952, but his average dropped below .230 both years. So Neil was traded to the St. Louis Browns for outfielder Jake Crawford.

Although Neil's hitting improved in St. Louis, the Chicago White Sox got him on a waiver claim for the last month of the season. In February of 1954, the White Sox traded Neil to the Baltimore Orioles (who, the year before, had been the Browns). Johnny Lipon was one of the players headed the other way in the deal. Neil's stay in Baltimore was brief. After appearing in 5 games, the O's sent him to the Yankees for Jim Brideweser, and Neil finished out the season in the minors, retiring at season's end. He took a stab at managing in the Tigers farm system but, after one year of that (1958), Neil hung up his spikes for the last time, returning to Kalamazoo where he worked in sporting goods and carpentry.

The two Kalamazoo Central High School shortstops, Neil Berry and Derek Jeter, did meet on one occasion. Jeter, according to Berry, blew him off. "I said, 'Well, you son of a bitch. Up your giggy.' To myself, I said that; I didn't say that to him." Berry continued on to say, "Jeter's a damn good ballplayer", but he also had the good fortune to play for the Yankees when they were winning. "If you don't win, you aren't worth a poop."

A site search didn't turn up either of the images below, nor were they previously posted at Baseball-Birthdays. The Tigers image was posted to eBay by andy1921, while the Browns image is one of Kyle's.
Attached Images
Image Image 
FatJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2016, 07:38 AM   #28969
Cusick
Hall Of Famer

Harry MacPherson

Quote:
Harry MacPherson, 1944 Boston Braves. The image is sampled from a scan posted to eBay by knucker and should be a significant improvement on the current facepack image.
Thanks for the very nice photo of MacPherson. I was surprised to learn yesterday that he was still pitching for the Boston Braves in spring exhibition games as late as 1951. Must have been a non-roster invitee that year.
Cusick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2016, 12:08 PM   #28970
dennis_keith
Minors (Triple A)

Tony Gonzalez turns 80

Tony Gonzalez turns 80 today. Here his image graces
the cover of a book about Philadelphia's long overdue
integration of their major league baseball teams.
Gonzalez made his MLB debut with the Cincinnati Reds
in April 1960, but he was traded that June to the Phillies.
By his second season, 1961, Gonzalez had become an
everyday player - only the fourth everday black player
for the Phillies and 5th black regular in Philadelphia
baseball history.
Gonzalez was preceeded as a starter by only
Vic Power (1954) Phila. Athletics; and Phillies -
Chico Fernandez (1957); Pancho Herrera
(1960); and Tony Taylor (1960), with Gonzalez's regular status
in 1961 still coming before that of Ted Savage (1962), Wes
Covington (1963); Richie Allen (1964) and Bill White (1966).
The franchise was notoriously slow in integrating their roster
and didn't have a black player who was a regular member of
their starting pitching rotation until 1967 (Grant Jackson).
Among Phillies fans and collectors Gonzalez's rookie card
(Topps - 1960) picturing him with the Cincy Reds is a
highly sought after item.
Gonzalez found a home in Philadelphia and played for the
Phillies for nine years, through 1968 before being selected by
the San Diego Padres for the major league expansion draft.
He was an original Padre in 1969, but was traded mid-way
through that season to the Atlanta Braves where he
contributed to their NL West division title.
He played in more than 1,550 MLB games over 12 seasons
hitting .286 with 103 home runs (career high 20 HR in 1962).
with three .300 seasons
He also set a record for errorless games by an Outfielder..
He had a great late-career season in 1967, where he
hit .339 to finish as the runner-up in the National League
batting title race to Roberto Clemente's .357..
. ..
Attached Images

Last edited by dennis_keith; 08-28-2016 at 12:13 PM.
dennis_keith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2016, 01:33 PM   #28971
dennis_keith
Minors (Triple A)

Steve Arlin (1945-2016)

Dr. Steve Arlin passed away this week shortly before his 71st birthday.
Does anyone have photos to post from his college days (Ohio State); minor league days (mostly in the Phillies farm system); or major league days (1969-1974 - Padres & Indians)?
He was a great college pitcher, and threw a no-hitter for a Phillies minor league system team in 1967. He's estimated to have has an 100 MPH fastball. He was a 1st round draft pick by the Phillies in 1966, but didn't reach the majors with the Phillies. Unfortunately for Arlin he was left unprotected by the Phils in the Expansion Draft that occurred right after the 1968 season ended.
Selected by the San Diego Padres he reached he majors in June 1969, but the fledgling Padres team's lineup never provided him with much run support. Of the seven teams he played for, none finished with a .500 or better record, six of them lost at least 95 games, and four of them lost at least 100 games per season. His last MLB team, the 1974 Cleveland Indians, which finished at a 77-85 mark had the best record of all of Arlin's teams.
To say he was a much better pitcher than his record indicated is a gross understatement.
He became a dentist in his post-playing days.
He's related to Harold Arlin, who made history by broadcasting a Major League Baseball and a major college football game on radio for the first time ever in 1921. (from a Pittsburgh radio station)..
Old 08-28-2016, 03:03 PM   #28972
FatJack
All Star Reserve

I sometimes will skip posting an obit unless I can come up with a fresh picture or angle. Steve Arlin has a good many pictures from the Vault including:
GR 177-180
HK 097
HK 104
BF 394

Photos of Steve with the Padres already on site include:
This one from lebby20
These from tnfoto

Arlin with the Indians already on site:
This one from tnfoto
This one from Splitter24

rico43, not long ago, posted this Phillies image of Arlin in the Minor League thread.

Since you've requested an Ohio State image, I've attached one which was found here.

And also attached is a high school image of Steve which was included in a look back at the '66 OSU championship.

Personally, I would disagree that saying he was a much better pitcher than his record indicated is a gross understatement. Throughout his career, he walked as many batters as he struck out (the one exception being the year of his pro debut). And, truthfully, one of the reasons the Phillies left him unprotected is because he was more committed to becoming a dentist than he was to being a pitcher (he was actually a practicing dentist well before his pitching career ended). As an old time Mets fan, I initially approached his record with the quote (about Roger Craig) in mind--that you have to be a pretty darn good pitcher to lose 20 games. But, in his major league career, Steve went 34-67. And, in the minors, he went 19-33. It is true that he carried a no-hitter 2 outs into the ninth inning--the closest any Padre has ever come. And there is no doubt he was dominant at the college level. But, looking at his full record, I don't get the feeling that his heart was ever in professional baseball. Just sayin'. Although, from what I hear, he was a helluva dentist. Nothing wrong with that. The world needs good dentists.
Attached Images
Image Image 
Old 08-28-2016, 04:57 PM   #28973
dennis_keith
Minors (Triple A)

I didn't remember that Arlin had worn glasses (as shown in his college and minor leagues photos).. Thick ones too.
He's almost a Ryne Duren the second! - Might have switched to contacts later in his career.
I'm sure that batters didn't relish facing a guy who could reach around 100, whose fastball moved and may or not have been able to see home plate clearly.
Old 08-28-2016, 06:22 PM   #28974
Ctrane
Hall Of Famer

Walt Alexander - 1912 ------ca-1916
Attached Images

Last edited by Ctrane; 08-28-2016 at 06:24 PM.
Ctrane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2016, 06:24 PM   #28975
Ctrane
Hall Of Famer

Jack Burns - 1930
Attached Images
Ctrane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2016, 09:10 PM   #28976
Cusick
Hall Of Famer

Lavagetto & Bevens

Bill Bevens, in the Reds uniform, jokes about taking revenge on Cookie Lavagetto for the latter's breaking up Bevens' 1947 World Series no-hitter with two outs in the ninth. Many of you will remember that Lavagetto's double drove in two runs and gave the Dodgers the 3-2 win over the Yankees in that 4th game of the series.

At the time this photo was taken, Bill Bevens was trying for a comeback as a 1952 spring roster pitcher with the Reds, while Cookie Lavagetto was a coach for the Dodgers. The photo is from the April 3, 1952 issue of the Cincinnati Enquirer.
Attached Images
Cusick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2016, 08:22 PM   #28977
baseball-birthdays.com
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merkle923 View Post
As macabre as anything Topps will ever sell - the image it used on a Rookie Stars card of a player who was dead when the card came out.

In 1969 Miguel Fuentes did something we see once or twice a year but was almost unheard of then. He rocketed through the minors in one season to reach the Seattle Pilots on September 1. He made a series of effective relief appearances and starts and threw the last pitch any Pilot would ever hurl. And the next January 29th, with his first baseball card already in production and maybe even shipment, he was shot to death in a bar fight. He was 23.
It's got 20 bids and is sitting at $80 with over 5 days to go...
Old 08-29-2016, 08:24 PM   #28978
FatJack
All Star Reserve

Rick Cerone

Rick Cerone spent 1991 with the Mets. Not an impossible image by any means (I believe kyles had a few good ones, dr.jteee had one recently, and there's always the Colla postcard). But here are a couple of others for you.

The full length body shot, which sorta looks like a yearbook image (I'll have to check on that) is currently being offered on eBay by earlywynnfan (note the autograph over the shin guard). The candid was part of a Jim Rowe lot I bought a couple of years ago.
Attached Images
Image Image 
Old 08-29-2016, 08:30 PM   #28979
FatJack
All Star Reserve

Quote:
In fairness, those 20 bids are all from 5 people, one of whom only entered one bid and three of whom seem to have dropped out. So now its just a back and forth between two bidders (though others may be keeping their powder dry until the last minute). And its also worth mentioning that eBay was down all day today. Frankly, I'm surprised it isn't already much, much higher.
Old 08-29-2016, 09:35 PM   #28980
PSUColonel
Hall Of Famer

Hey FatJack...I am wondering why you chose "FatJack" as your name?? If you are a Mets fan, I think I know why. Jack "FatJack" Fisher is a friend of mine whom I play golf with in Pennsylvania. he used to pitch for the Mets in the 60's.
PSUColonel is offline   Reply With Quote