Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP Update 20.8 - OOTP 20 Available - FHM 6 Available

  

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Out of the Park Baseball 20 > OOTP 20 - General Discussions

OOTP 20 - General Discussions Everything about the newest version of Out of the Park Baseball - officially licensed by MLB.com and the MLBPA.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 11-03-2019, 10:13 AM   #21
Reed
All Star Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 1,028
Thanks: 146
Thanked 367x in 261 posts
ActionJackson
Just curious. If you set your random debut to a year like 1984, what happens when you have an outlier like Babe Ruth?? Does he usually hit 75 home runs or more??? I realize his batting average will be toned down some but I doubt that would tone down his home runs, unless you have a whole lot of players in your league.
Reed is offline   Reply With Quote
Thank you for this post:
actionjackson (11-03-2019)
Old 11-03-2019, 02:55 PM   #22
actionjackson
Hall Of Famer
 
actionjackson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Toronto, ON
Posts: 5,299
Thanks: 7,705
Thanked 3,179x in 1,956 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reed View Post
ActionJackson
Just curious. If you set your random debut to a year like 1984, what happens when you have an outlier like Babe Ruth?? Does he usually hit 75 home runs or more??? I realize his batting average will be toned down some but I doubt that would tone down his home runs, unless you have a whole lot of players in your league.
This is a fantastic question Reed. I wish I had an answer. The Bambino was in the inaugural draft of my 63 season dynasty in OOTP16, but he was heading into his age 34 season, so IRL, he wasn't outhomering entire teams anymore. He was an absolute freak, so there's no telling what would happen, even if you were to put him in a 1908 environment. I have his BB-Ref page and his OOTP16 final stats, if you want to look them over. Same thing for Frank Robinson, who wasn't as much of a freak (nobody was), but was still a dominant player of his time. Frank had a full career in my game, so perhaps the comparison will be better. Here ya go!
Attached Images
Image Image Image Image 
__________________
"Tests have shown that suspicious or hostile
Their lives need not be shortened
Truth be told, they can live a long, long while
Tickled to death by their importance...

He said, you made me scared too, I wasn't sure I was getting through
I gotta go
It's been a pleasure doing business with you"

- RIP Gord Downie (The Tragically Hip) February 6th, 1964 - October 17th, 2017

Last edited by actionjackson; 11-03-2019 at 03:30 PM.
actionjackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2019, 03:25 PM   #23
David Watts
Hall Of Famer
 
David Watts's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Looking for a place called Leehofooks
Posts: 6,625
Thanks: 4,559
Thanked 4,555x in 2,382 posts
Infractions: 0/1 (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by actionjackson View Post
This is a fantastic question Reed. I wish I had an answer. The Bambino was in the inaugural draft of my 63 season dynasty in OOTP16, but he was heading into his age 34 season, so IRL, he wasn't outhomering entire teams anymore. He was an absolute freak, so there's no telling what would happen, even if you were to put him in a 1908 environment. I have his BB-Ref page and his OOTP16 final stats, if you want to look them over. Same thing for Frank Robinson, who wasn't as much of a freak (nobody was), but was still a dominant player of his time. Frank had a full career in my game, so perhaps the comparison will be better. Here ya go!
I've never had Ruth in a league either. Action, in that Robinson league, what is the single season home record and who holds it?
David Watts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2019, 03:29 PM   #24
actionjackson
Hall Of Famer
 
actionjackson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Toronto, ON
Posts: 5,299
Thanks: 7,705
Thanked 3,179x in 1,956 posts
Thinking on it some more, in Babe Ruth's top OPS+ season (1920, the year he outhomered the average team by 15 HR), there were 495 players in MLB. My Random Debut leagues start with 704 players, and keep climbing from there. Not everyone gets regular reps or even plays (of course), but the same is true of the RL 1920 season, so maybe having more players to divvy up the HR pie would suppress his season total? Just guesses on my part.

In 1920, the HR/PA rate was 0.67% (Ruth slugged 8.57% of the league total, and had a personal HR/PA rate of 8.77% - Whoa!), while in 1984, it had climbed to 2.03%. For comparison's sake, in this the so-called year of the HR (until it is surpassed, possibly next year - maybe not if baseball de-juices the ball again), the HR/PA rate was 3.63%. You bring up an interesting point though, and curiousity may get the better of me, and I may have to sneak Mr. Ruth into a test league as a free agent, just not when he was a pitcher. I'm not going to wait that long for the experiment to begin.
__________________
"Tests have shown that suspicious or hostile
Their lives need not be shortened
Truth be told, they can live a long, long while
Tickled to death by their importance...

He said, you made me scared too, I wasn't sure I was getting through
I gotta go
It's been a pleasure doing business with you"

- RIP Gord Downie (The Tragically Hip) February 6th, 1964 - October 17th, 2017
actionjackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2019, 03:43 PM   #25
Reed
All Star Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 1,028
Thanks: 146
Thanked 367x in 261 posts
Action, thanks for the reply. A few months ago for the heck of it I did a 1927 season using 1984 stats. Ruth had about 80 HRs in that little test. I thought maybe I messed something up but later, the more I thought about it, it made sense. Unless I did mess something up.
Reed is offline   Reply With Quote
Thank you for this post:
actionjackson (11-03-2019)
Old 11-03-2019, 03:47 PM   #26
actionjackson
Hall Of Famer
 
actionjackson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Toronto, ON
Posts: 5,299
Thanks: 7,705
Thanked 3,179x in 1,956 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Watts View Post
I've never had Ruth in a league either. Action, in that Robinson league, what is the single season home record and who holds it?
Single season HR record = Mickey Mantle with 63
Career HR record = Mickey Mantle with 677

The Mick also holds the single season OBP record (.496), SLG (.758), OPS (1.248), R (149), TB (448), RBI (161), position player WAR (16.1), and the career R (2198), RBI (2274), BB (2218), K (2514), and position player WAR (162.9) records

I played the OOTP16 game with an Injury Frequency of High (Realistic Modern Day), and Average Position Player Fatigue. I have now permanently switched (I think) to Normal (OOTP Classic) Injury Frequency, and High Position Player Fatigue to keep the Position Player Leaders in G, PA, and AB down to a level that I think better represents what was going on in 1984. I also use "Strict Rotation, Occasionally Highest Rested" to hold down the IP to 1984ish levels for the IP leaders amongst pitchers. It seems to be working so far *fingers crossed*
__________________
"Tests have shown that suspicious or hostile
Their lives need not be shortened
Truth be told, they can live a long, long while
Tickled to death by their importance...

He said, you made me scared too, I wasn't sure I was getting through
I gotta go
It's been a pleasure doing business with you"

- RIP Gord Downie (The Tragically Hip) February 6th, 1964 - October 17th, 2017

Last edited by actionjackson; 11-03-2019 at 03:51 PM.
actionjackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Thank you for this post:
Eugene Church (11-04-2019)
Old 11-03-2019, 03:50 PM   #27
actionjackson
Hall Of Famer
 
actionjackson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Toronto, ON
Posts: 5,299
Thanks: 7,705
Thanked 3,179x in 1,956 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reed View Post
Action, thanks for the reply. A few months ago for the heck of it I did a 1927 season using 1984 stats. Ruth had about 80 HRs in that little test. I thought maybe I messed something up but later, the more I thought about it, it made sense. Unless I did mess something up.
He really was the outlier of all outliers wasn't he?
__________________
"Tests have shown that suspicious or hostile
Their lives need not be shortened
Truth be told, they can live a long, long while
Tickled to death by their importance...

He said, you made me scared too, I wasn't sure I was getting through
I gotta go
It's been a pleasure doing business with you"

- RIP Gord Downie (The Tragically Hip) February 6th, 1964 - October 17th, 2017
actionjackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Thank you for this post:
Eugene Church (11-04-2019)
Old 11-03-2019, 04:49 PM   #28
David Watts
Hall Of Famer
 
David Watts's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Looking for a place called Leehofooks
Posts: 6,625
Thanks: 4,559
Thanked 4,555x in 2,382 posts
Infractions: 0/1 (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by actionjackson View Post
Single season HR record = Mickey Mantle with 63
Career HR record = Mickey Mantle with 677

The Mick also holds the single season OBP record (.496), SLG (.758), OPS (1.248), R (149), TB (448), RBI (161), position player WAR (16.1), and the career R (2198), RBI (2274), BB (2218), K (2514), and position player WAR (162.9) records

I played the OOTP16 game with an Injury Frequency of High (Realistic Modern Day), and Average Position Player Fatigue. I have now permanently switched (I think) to Normal (OOTP Classic) Injury Frequency, and High Position Player Fatigue to keep the Position Player Leaders in G, PA, and AB down to a level that I think better represents what was going on in 1984. I also use "Strict Rotation, Occasionally Highest Rested" to hold down the IP to 1984ish levels for the IP leaders amongst pitchers. It seems to be working so far *fingers crossed*
What did the HR leaderboard look like the year Mantle hit 63? Was his 63 homers more than any entire team for the season?
David Watts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2019, 05:39 PM   #29
Reed
All Star Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 1,028
Thanks: 146
Thanked 367x in 261 posts
Using 1984 as a base and depending on how many players are in the league and how many “outliers”, it is possible for Ruth to have 1,000 career home runs. That boggles my mind.
Reed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2019, 05:46 PM   #30
actionjackson
Hall Of Famer
 
actionjackson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Toronto, ON
Posts: 5,299
Thanks: 7,705
Thanked 3,179x in 1,956 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Watts View Post
What did the HR leaderboard look like the year Mantle hit 63? Was his 63 homers more than any entire team for the season?
The Cubs hit the fewest HR that year (1933) with 84. Interestingly enough, HR/AB rate was right around average by 1984 standards that year, but you wouldn't know it from the MLB HR leaderboard:

Mickey Mantle: 63
Gene Tenace: 44
Graig Nettles: 43
Bob O Jones: 40
Tony Horton: 35
Reggie Smith: 34
Dante Bichette: 33
Vince DiMaggio: 32
Jose Canseco: 31
Gary Alexander: 31
Gil Hodges: 31
Jackie Warner: 31
John Kelleher: 30

13 guys with 30 or more HR is about double what you'd expect to see in a sixteen team league basing its numbers on 1984. There were 10 guys with 30 or more HR in RL 1984 in a 26 team league, which works out to about 6 in a 16 team league. I did have Position Player Fatigue on Average though, and I have noticed that there were many more guys with 155+ G, 650+ PA, and 600+ AB then there should be for a 1984 based season. In OOTP20, I've been using High Position Player Fatigue, and it's brought G, and AB back in line, but not PA, which is strange.
__________________
"Tests have shown that suspicious or hostile
Their lives need not be shortened
Truth be told, they can live a long, long while
Tickled to death by their importance...

He said, you made me scared too, I wasn't sure I was getting through
I gotta go
It's been a pleasure doing business with you"

- RIP Gord Downie (The Tragically Hip) February 6th, 1964 - October 17th, 2017
actionjackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Thank you for this post:
David Watts (11-03-2019)
Old 11-03-2019, 06:06 PM   #31
actionjackson
Hall Of Famer
 
actionjackson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Toronto, ON
Posts: 5,299
Thanks: 7,705
Thanked 3,179x in 1,956 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reed View Post
Using 1984 as a base and depending on how many players are in the league and how many “outliers”, it is possible for Ruth to have 1,000 career home runs. That boggles my mind.
I use recalc and player development together, and goodness knows what his injury rating will be (I've never looked), so he could get bitten by the player development hamsters or injuries or both. It happened to Ken Griffey Jr in that league. Both him and his pops came into the league at 23 in the inaugural season:

Jr: 2210 G, 8623 PA, .250/.327/.408/.735, 1028 R, 1915 H, 312 2B, 26 3B, 280 HR, 1032 RBI, 107 SB, 109 OPS+, 39.8 WAR

Sr: 2875 G, 12005 PA, .297/.351/.427/.778, 1464 R, 3256 H, 525 2B, 107 3B, 229 HR, 1380 RBI, 256 SB, 120 OPS+, 51.5 WAR

In what universe is Sr a better player than Jr? Well, mine I guess.

Hey kr83. It seems I've utterly derailed your thread. I'm sorry about that. Believe me, it was in the spirit of showing what's possible with these settings, and then my enthusiasm got the better of me. It was not to take things in a completely different direction. It's sort of on topic, but I hope I haven't upset you.
__________________
"Tests have shown that suspicious or hostile
Their lives need not be shortened
Truth be told, they can live a long, long while
Tickled to death by their importance...

He said, you made me scared too, I wasn't sure I was getting through
I gotta go
It's been a pleasure doing business with you"

- RIP Gord Downie (The Tragically Hip) February 6th, 1964 - October 17th, 2017
actionjackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2019, 06:40 PM   #32
David Watts
Hall Of Famer
 
David Watts's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Looking for a place called Leehofooks
Posts: 6,625
Thanks: 4,559
Thanked 4,555x in 2,382 posts
Infractions: 0/1 (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by actionjackson View Post
I use recalc and player development together, and goodness knows what his injury rating will be (I've never looked), so he could get bitten by the player development hamsters or injuries or both. It happened to Ken Griffey Jr in that league. Both him and his pops came into the league at 23 in the inaugural season:

Jr: 2210 G, 8623 PA, .250/.327/.408/.735, 1028 R, 1915 H, 312 2B, 26 3B, 280 HR, 1032 RBI, 107 SB, 109 OPS+, 39.8 WAR

Sr: 2875 G, 12005 PA, .297/.351/.427/.778, 1464 R, 3256 H, 525 2B, 107 3B, 229 HR, 1380 RBI, 256 SB, 120 OPS+, 51.5 WAR

In what universe is Sr a better player than Jr? Well, mine I guess.

Hey kr83. It seems I've utterly derailed your thread. I'm sorry about that. Believe me, it was in the spirit of showing what's possible with these settings, and then my enthusiasm got the better of me. It was not to take things in a completely different direction. It's sort of on topic, but I hope I haven't upset you.
To derail it even more, Have you ever watched the movie Tag? I watched it yesterday and believe it or not the whole Griffey Jr./Griffey Sr. thing was part of the movie. Too hard to describe, but it was funny.
David Watts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2019, 10:24 PM   #33
actionjackson
Hall Of Famer
 
actionjackson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Toronto, ON
Posts: 5,299
Thanks: 7,705
Thanked 3,179x in 1,956 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reed View Post
Using 1984 as a base and depending on how many players are in the league and how many “outliers”, it is possible for Ruth to have 1,000 career home runs. That boggles my mind.
I'm not sure about that. I was having a PM discussion with "Mr. Watts", and he correctly pointed out that not only would Ruth have to dominate his era (which he did in spades), but he would also have to come in at a time with fewer power hitters in your league, because in 1984, there are about 125 HR per team to go around (3,258 HR/26 teams). That means that when I play with 1984 settings in a 16-team league, there are about 2,000 HR to go around in any given season. Babe's not playing in a world where he's the only power hitter in the game anymore. Home Run Baker might grab 30-40 of them (despite his career high being 12). Shoeless Joe can easily do 20+ despite only having a double digit HR season once (12 in his final season before he was booted from the league). He hit 37 one year in my league, and went 20+ a total of nine times. Home Run Baker did not get his nickname for nothing.

In that test league I showed numbers from earlier, there were three 19th century players who hit 20+ HR for the season. Billy O'Brien (28), Bobby Lowe (24), and Walt Wilmot (23) combined for 75 HR for the year. They also hit 161 combined HR in their RL careers, which doesn't make any sense, until you remember that they were considered power hitters based on their stats relative to other players in the time they played, so they each came in with a Home Run Power rating of 4 on the 1 to 5 scale.

Babe Ruth was definitely a man among boys in the time he played, and will definitely be a beast, but he will be a man among men in Random Debut as there will be players from all eras who can hit for power. He will still top the HR leaderboard. He just may not lap the field like we think he should. In that 63 year OOTP16 RD that I like to bore you guys with, I saw 1 60+ HR season, 9 50+ HR seasons, 90 40+ HR seasons, 0 700+ HR careers, 5 600+ HR careers, and 13 500+ HR careers. If Ruth gets a full career to make a run at it whenever I see him, he should be at or near the top, but 1984 settings make it tough to amass huge milestone numbers, and that's what I like about a lot of the 1980s seasons. Guys have to earn it.

Now, if you want to use 2017 settings, or 2019 settings when OOTP21 comes out, all bets are off. The sky's the limit in that scenario.
__________________
"Tests have shown that suspicious or hostile
Their lives need not be shortened
Truth be told, they can live a long, long while
Tickled to death by their importance...

He said, you made me scared too, I wasn't sure I was getting through
I gotta go
It's been a pleasure doing business with you"

- RIP Gord Downie (The Tragically Hip) February 6th, 1964 - October 17th, 2017
actionjackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Thank you for this post:
Eugene Church (11-04-2019)
Old 11-04-2019, 01:41 PM   #34
Eugene Church
Hall Of Famer
 
Eugene Church's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Posts: 26,668
Thanks: 4,858
Thanked 3,037x in 2,039 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by actionjackson View Post
He really was the outlier of all outliers wasn't he?
The Babe was amazing!
Bigger than life in baseball and just bigger in life... he was very special and much loved.

I played a dynasty league years ago... All-Time All-Star Association... 16 original franchises... each team used its all-time best players... I also added a few Negro starts and Japanese stars to the mix... and yes, control freak that I am, EC chose them and controlled all rosters, pitching rotations and lineups.

Babe Ruth led the league in homers the first season with 35... he hit 43 in year two, but was beaten out by Japanese great Sadaharu Oh with 44.

This was using 2006 version... I manually created all of the players' ratings... it worked well, but some players did not play well... I remember being so disappointed in Tom Seaver… he was 7-20 with a 5.00 ERA in his first year... that was the problem with using real players... they all can't be good in an all-time all-star league... that is why I eventually switched my dynasty league reports to fictional players... I don't know them like I know MLB players... I have no expectations from the fictional players.

I just perused the All-Time All-Star Association dynasty report and gleaned this little jewel... it will give you a very small sample of the statistics results I had... and you can see a little bit about the players from different eras performed... dead ball players did hit home runs in my AAA.

ALLTIME ALLSTAR ASSOCIATION

Tuesday, September 30,1902


NATIONAL AND AMERICAN LEAGUES ANNOUNCE AWARD WINNERS

The Alltime Allstar Association announced its top awards winners today. The Baseball Writers of America bestowed the 1902 Golden Bat, Golden Arm and Rookie of the Year awards.

The National League best pitcher was Carl Hubbell of the pennant-winning New York Giants. He had a great season with 22 victories and only 6 losses with a 2.30 ERA, which was the best in the AAA.

The top hurler in the American League was fireballer Herb Score of the Cleveland Indians with a sparkling 20-7 mark and set a new strikeout standard with 254 on the year and a 2.89 ERA. The BWA presented each of them with the coveted Golden Arm trophy.

For the second year in a row New York's Babe Ruth garnered the American League Golden Bat award. He had a fine year last year, but improved on it this season. He set a new AL home run record with 43, easily beating his 35 from last year. Ruth hit .317 with 121 RBIs and 122 runs scored.

Turkey Stearnes of the Chicago Cubs had a standout year and took the best batter honors in the National League. He finished the season with a lofty .343 average, second best in the league, and added 37 homers, 122 RBIs and scored 125 times.

In the Rookie of the Year category, in a brilliant freshman season, the slugging first baseman of the Pittsburgh Pirates, Sadahuru Oh, broke the AAA home run record with 44 circuit blasts in his first season. Ruth had held the record previously. Oh hit .302 and set new highs in the NL for 133 RBIs and tied the AAA mark with 131 runs scored.

The best AL newcomer was Boston's David Ortiz, who hit .277, drove in 104 runs, walloped 29 home runs and tallied 79 runs.

Last edited by Eugene Church; 11-04-2019 at 02:15 PM.
Eugene Church is offline   Reply With Quote
Thank you for this post:
actionjackson (11-04-2019)
Old 11-04-2019, 05:57 PM   #35
actionjackson
Hall Of Famer
 
actionjackson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Toronto, ON
Posts: 5,299
Thanks: 7,705
Thanked 3,179x in 1,956 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eugene Church View Post
The Babe was amazing!
Bigger than life in baseball and just bigger in life... he was very special and much loved.

I played a dynasty league years ago... All-Time All-Star Association... 16 original franchises... each team used its all-time best players... I also added a few Negro starts and Japanese stars to the mix... and yes, control freak that I am, EC chose them and controlled all rosters, pitching rotations and lineups.

Babe Ruth led the league in homers the first season with 35... he hit 43 in year two, but was beaten out by Japanese great Sadaharu Oh with 44.

This was using 2006 version... I manually created all of the players' ratings... it worked well, but some players did not play well... I remember being so disappointed in Tom Seaver… he was 7-20 with a 5.00 ERA in his first year... that was the problem with using real players... they all can't be good in an all-time all-star league... that is why I eventually switched my dynasty league reports to fictional players... I don't know them like I know MLB players... I have no expectations from the fictional players.

I just perused the All-Time All-Star Association dynasty report and gleaned this little jewel... it will give you a very small sample of the statistics results I had... and you can see a little bit about the players from different eras performed... dead ball players did hit home runs in my AAA.

ALLTIME ALLSTAR ASSOCIATION

Tuesday, September 30,1902


NATIONAL AND AMERICAN LEAGUES ANNOUNCE AWARD WINNERS

The Alltime Allstar Association announced its top awards winners today. The Baseball Writers of America bestowed the 1902 Golden Bat, Golden Arm and Rookie of the Year awards.

The National League best pitcher was Carl Hubbell of the pennant-winning New York Giants. He had a great season with 22 victories and only 6 losses with a 2.30 ERA, which was the best in the AAA.

The top hurler in the American League was fireballer Herb Score of the Cleveland Indians with a sparkling 20-7 mark and set a new strikeout standard with 254 on the year and a 2.89 ERA. The BWA presented each of them with the coveted Golden Arm trophy.

For the second year in a row New York's Babe Ruth garnered the American League Golden Bat award. He had a fine year last year, but improved on it this season. He set a new AL home run record with 43, easily beating his 35 from last year. Ruth hit .317 with 121 RBIs and 122 runs scored.

Turkey Stearnes of the Chicago Cubs had a standout year and took the best batter honors in the National League. He finished the season with a lofty .343 average, second best in the league, and added 37 homers, 122 RBIs and scored 125 times.

In the Rookie of the Year category, in a brilliant freshman season, the slugging first baseman of the Pittsburgh Pirates, Sadahuru Oh, broke the AAA home run record with 44 circuit blasts in his first season. Ruth had held the record previously. Oh hit .302 and set new highs in the NL for 133 RBIs and tied the AAA mark with 131 runs scored.

The best AL newcomer was Boston's David Ortiz, who hit .277, drove in 104 runs, walloped 29 home runs and tallied 79 runs.
That sounds amazing EC. I get what you mean about too many all-stars spoiling the stats soup. That's why I play random debut. Everybody's there, but Bill Bergen (by many accounts the "worst" big leaguer ever - he still had to be great just to get to the big leagues, and I guess somebody had to be "worst", but...) can be a catcher for Babe Ruth in Ruth's early days as a pitcher, depending on how you play it.

How did you get hold of accurate stats for Negro Leaguers and Japanese Leaguers? Even now, they're kind of a riddle, wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma, but back then they must've been a bit of a vacant wasteland. Lots of fudging of numbers I take it?

EDIT: Of course, given that Bergen is so terrible, he'd probably spend his entire baseball existence stapled to a bench, languishing on a reserve roster, or hanging out as a free agent who gets no calls for his services, and then retires without ever getting a chance. Apparently, he was very good in the field as a catcher. He just (to be kind) could not hit.
__________________
"Tests have shown that suspicious or hostile
Their lives need not be shortened
Truth be told, they can live a long, long while
Tickled to death by their importance...

He said, you made me scared too, I wasn't sure I was getting through
I gotta go
It's been a pleasure doing business with you"

- RIP Gord Downie (The Tragically Hip) February 6th, 1964 - October 17th, 2017

Last edited by actionjackson; 11-04-2019 at 06:21 PM.
actionjackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2019, 10:17 PM   #36
Eugene Church
Hall Of Famer
 
Eugene Church's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Posts: 26,668
Thanks: 4,858
Thanked 3,037x in 2,039 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by actionjackson View Post
That sounds amazing EC. I get what you mean about too many all-stars spoiling the stats soup. That's why I play random debut. Everybody's there, but Bill Bergen (by many accounts the "worst" big leaguer ever - he still had to be great just to get to the big leagues, and I guess somebody had to be "worst", but...) can be a catcher for Babe Ruth in Ruth's early days as a pitcher, depending on how you play it.

How did you get hold of accurate stats for Negro Leaguers and Japanese Leaguers? Even now, they're kind of a riddle, wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma, but back then they must've been a bit of a vacant wasteland. Lots of fudging of numbers I take it?

EDIT: Of course, given that Bergen is so terrible, he'd probably spend his entire baseball existence stapled to a bench, languishing on a reserve roster, or hanging out as a free agent who gets no calls for his services, and then retires without ever getting a chance. Apparently, he was very good in the field as a catcher. He just (to be kind) could not hit.
I went to the public library and found two great books on the Negro Leagues... from them I could get a good idea of how the players, hit, ran, played defense, pitched... it was "educated" guessimates, you might say... I also found some Negro League stats that helped me, too.

As far as the Japanese players, there is an American that lives in Japan... he is an expert on Japanese players... can't remember his name, but he wrote a book and listed all of the great Japanese players and included goods stats.

In essence, I did a lot of research on the Negro Leagues and Japanese Leagues and at least got a fairly good scouting report.

I took all of this information and "penalized' the Negro and Japanese players 15% on their ratings... I did not think they were equal to the MLB players... but I think I rated a few of them too highly... look at Turkey Stearnes and Sadaharu Oh's stats in that small excerpt I posted... Oh should not have been Babe Ruth's equal.

Overall, my players ratings were fairly true to form.

I really enjoyed the All-Time All-Star Association... I lost it because of corrupt files or maybe computer malfunction... I just didn't want to have to recreate it again... sadly I didn't back up anything at that time.

Last edited by Eugene Church; 11-04-2019 at 10:19 PM.
Eugene Church is offline   Reply With Quote
Thank you for this post:
actionjackson (11-04-2019)
Old 11-04-2019, 10:45 PM   #37
actionjackson
Hall Of Famer
 
actionjackson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Toronto, ON
Posts: 5,299
Thanks: 7,705
Thanked 3,179x in 1,956 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eugene Church View Post
I went to the public library and found two great books on the Negro Leagues... from them I could get a good idea of how the players, hit, ran, played defense, pitched... it was "educated" guessimates, you might say... I also found some Negro League stats that helped me, too.

As far as the Japanese players, there is an American that lives in Japan... he is an expert on Japanese players... can't remember his name, but he wrote a book and listed all of the great Japanese players and included goods stats.

In essence, I did a lot of research on the Negro Leagues and Japanese Leagues and at least got a fairly good scouting report.

I took all of this information and "penalized' the Negro and Japanese players 15% on their ratings... I did not think they were equal to the MLB players... but I think I rated a few of them too highly... look at Turkey Stearnes and Sadaharu Oh's stats in that small excerpt I posted... Oh should not have been Babe Ruth's equal.

Overall, my players ratings were fairly true to form.

I really enjoyed the All-Time All-Star Association... I lost it because of corrupt files or maybe computer malfunction... I just didn't want to have to recreate it again... sadly I didn't back up anything at that time.
You definitely have to make an adjustment for the difference in quality between the leagues. The hard question becomes, how much of an adjustment? I'd imagine it was really tricky.
__________________
"Tests have shown that suspicious or hostile
Their lives need not be shortened
Truth be told, they can live a long, long while
Tickled to death by their importance...

He said, you made me scared too, I wasn't sure I was getting through
I gotta go
It's been a pleasure doing business with you"

- RIP Gord Downie (The Tragically Hip) February 6th, 1964 - October 17th, 2017
actionjackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2019, 01:17 AM   #38
Eugene Church
Hall Of Famer
 
Eugene Church's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Posts: 26,668
Thanks: 4,858
Thanked 3,037x in 2,039 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by actionjackson View Post
You definitely have to make an adjustment for the difference in quality between the leagues. The hard question becomes, how much of an adjustment? I'd imagine it was really tricky.
It really worked out well with most of the Negro and Japanese stars.

I think I did my homework and it worked out pretty well.

I just may have to do the All-Time All-Star Association again.
It was fun.

The Yankees did well in it... also the Cards, Giants, Athletics, Cubs, Pirates and Tigers.
Eugene Church is offline   Reply With Quote
Thank you for this post:
actionjackson (11-05-2019)
Old 11-05-2019, 01:24 AM   #39
jpeters1734
Hall Of Famer
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Juust a bit outside...
Posts: 4,254
Thanks: 964
Thanked 2,155x in 1,233 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by actionjackson View Post
See that "Select Year" box at the top of all the numbers? I use that on the day before Opening Day every year to import stats settings for my league. Works like a charm. I don't use auto-calc. I select the year from 1871 through 2018 that I want to use the day before each Opening Day. I do it the day before Opening Day, because that's the point at which team rosters will be set as much as they can be for the coming season. It's the absolute latest in the offseason that you can do it, so that's when I do it. In my case, the year is 1984, but you may prefer a different offensive environment. Not only does it import the actual numbers from that season, but it also adjusts the LTMs in one fell swoop.

1984: 4.26 R/G, 3.81 ERA, .260/.323/.385/.708, 0.78 HR/9

Judging from your post, you may prefer more offense in your game. My suggestion is to take a season from this list and/or this list that suits your statistical fancy, and select that year the day before Opening Day. I find this method works better than auto-calc, and definitely better than "lock league totals". "Lock league totals" only seems to be concerned with AB, H, 2B, 3B, HR, BB, HBP, K, and BABIP. It doesn't seem to concern itself with anything else like fielding, pitcher stamina, GB% etc, etc, etc. Anything below those nine categories will not be controlled which can really mess up your results.

I also uncheck all the "automatically adjust..." boxes, and just use this method every year. I just discovered that the RL BABIP in 1984 was actually .286, and not .289 like the game seems to think it is. I'm hoping this will help with results that seemed to get "hotter" after OOTP16 for some reason, but we shall see. Any questions? Fire away.
I don't understand how importing the same historical year every year is different than having it auto calc every year
__________________
"Cannonball Coming!" Go Bucs!!
jpeters1734 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2019, 01:49 AM   #40
actionjackson
Hall Of Famer
 
actionjackson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Toronto, ON
Posts: 5,299
Thanks: 7,705
Thanked 3,179x in 1,956 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpeters1734 View Post
I don't understand how importing the same historical year every year is different than having it auto calc every year
I've tried hitting the auto-calc button, and found the results came out more offensive than I wanted. I found selecting the year gave me closer to what I wanted for some reason. I have no idea why. I just know that it worked for me, so that's what I did. It's been a long time since I used the auto-calc feature, since I found this worked better, but because it worked the way I wanted it to, I probably won't go back to auto-calc. YMMV
__________________
"Tests have shown that suspicious or hostile
Their lives need not be shortened
Truth be told, they can live a long, long while
Tickled to death by their importance...

He said, you made me scared too, I wasn't sure I was getting through
I gotta go
It's been a pleasure doing business with you"

- RIP Gord Downie (The Tragically Hip) February 6th, 1964 - October 17th, 2017
actionjackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:36 AM.

 

Major League Baseball trademarks and copyrights are used with permission of MLB Advanced Media, L.P. Minor League Baseball trademarks and copyrights are used with the permission of Minor League Baseball. All rights reserved.

The Major League Baseball Players Association (www.MLBPLAYERS.com ) is the collective bargaining representative for all professional baseball players of the thirty Major League Baseball teams and serves as the exclusive group licensing agent for commercial and licensing activities involving active Major League baseball players. On behalf of its members, it operates the Players Choice licensing program and the Players Choice Awards, which benefit the needy through the Major League Baseball Players Trust, a charitable foundation established and run entirely by Major League baseball players. Follow: @MLB_Players; @MLBPAClubhouse; @MLBPlayersTrust

Out of the Park Baseball is a registered trademark of Out of the Park Developments GmbH & Co. KG

Google Play is a trademark of Google Inc.

Apple, iPhone, iPod touch and iPad are trademarks of Apple Inc., registered in the U.S. and other countries.

COPYRIGHT © 2017 OUT OF THE PARK DEVELOPMENTS. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.

 

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.10
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright © 2020 Out of the Park Developments