Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 20 > OOTP 20 - General Discussions

OOTP 20 - General Discussions Everything about the newest version of Out of the Park Baseball - officially licensed by MLB.com and the MLBPA.

Old 11-11-2019, 10:15 PM   #81
Garlon
Hall Of Famer

Thrown out at second base.
Attached Images
Garlon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2019, 01:42 PM   #82
joefromchicago
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dyzalot View Post
Why? That's how it is categorized by MLB so OOTP has no way of knowing how many of those were balls in the dirt that the runner got caught stealing on.
I believe it is scored as a fielder's choice, which is kinda' like the baseball equivalent of "we don't know what to call it, so we'll just throw it into this poorly defined category and hope no one notices."

EDIT: Actually, the scoring rule makes sense. If the runner wouldn't have been credited with a stolen base if he had been successful, he shouldn't be charged with a caught stealing if he's unsuccessful. For instance, if a runner successfully advances when a pitched ball eludes the catcher, he still wouldn't get a stolen base. Instead, he'd be credited with advancing on a wild pitch. So if the catcher throws the runner out trying to advance on that play, it wouldn't be fair to charge the runner with a caught stealing. As the Comment to Rule 10.07(h) states: "The official scorer shall not charge a runner with a caught stealing if such runner would not have been credited with a stolen base had such runner been safe (for example, when a catcher throws the runner out after such runner tries to advance after a ball that had eluded the catcher on a pitch)."

Last edited by joefromchicago; 11-12-2019 at 01:54 PM.
joefromchicago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2019, 07:35 PM   #83
Dyzalot
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by joefromchicago View Post
I believe it is scored as a fielder's choice, which is kinda' like the baseball equivalent of "we don't know what to call it, so we'll just throw it into this poorly defined category and hope no one notices."

EDIT: Actually, the scoring rule makes sense. If the runner wouldn't have been credited with a stolen base if he had been successful, he shouldn't be charged with a caught stealing if he's unsuccessful. For instance, if a runner successfully advances when a pitched ball eludes the catcher, he still wouldn't get a stolen base. Instead, he'd be credited with advancing on a wild pitch. So if the catcher throws the runner out trying to advance on that play, it wouldn't be fair to charge the runner with a caught stealing. As the Comment to Rule 10.07(h) states: "The official scorer shall not charge a runner with a caught stealing if such runner would not have been credited with a stolen base had such runner been safe (for example, when a catcher throws the runner out after such runner tries to advance after a ball that had eluded the catcher on a pitch)."
Yeah that all makes sense and it explains why it might be difficult to get the frequency correct in a sim if it can't differentiate between the different kinds of fielder's choices.
Dyzalot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2019, 12:37 PM   #84
smiller
Major Leagues

I just had a runner thrown out trying to stretch a single into a double--first time this season in the 160th game.
smiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2019, 01:29 PM   #85
RchW
Hall Of Famer

BR has this table showing outs by runners advancing at all bases. The detail is highlighted. Since runners thrown out at 2B on a hit are only part of this total, the incidence is relatively rare.

For the 2019 season 460 runners were out at 2B. That is 1 per 10.56 games for a 4860 game season. Team average of 15 on a 162 games for 1 per 10.8 games. These totals include line out dp and WP and PB outs so outs at 2B on a hit are imo going to be much less maybe half or like 1 per 20-25 games.
Attached Images

RichW

#stopthestupid

“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.” Frank Wilhoit

Last edited by RchW; 11-15-2019 at 01:32 PM.
RchW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2020, 02:33 AM   #86
CBeisbol
Banned

First time I ever noticed that I had a runner doubled off (second base) on a line drive
CBeisbol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2020, 06:04 PM   #87
CBeisbol
Banned

Rare enough that it caught my eye and I remembered this thread
Attached Images
Old 08-27-2020, 02:07 AM   #88
One Great Matrix
All Star Starter

The Cowards

Quote:
Originally Posted by dward1 View Post
or trying to score on a wild pitch or passed ball? they get thrown out all the time trying to score from 2nd with 2 outs but I've never seen these two scenarios
Yeah, runners advance to score from 3rd all the time. "all the time"

I haven't seen the other one, what you mean maybe, though is, it happens kinda frequently...well...they got these nice straight throws in the game so it's only a matter of speed not trickery. Plus the guy is on the square out nearly 40 yards from where the play takes place...and not only can he not take a straight line? he's got to take a 90 foot detour to avoid King Pitcher and then try to use his "wheels" to get all the way to the homeland.

Last edited by One Great Matrix; 08-27-2020 at 02:08 AM.
One Great Matrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2020, 08:02 PM   #89
CBeisbol
Banned

First time I've seen this (that I can recall)

One runner scores and the trail runner (the batter) is thrown out at third
Attached Images