Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP Update 20.8 - OOTP 20 Available - FHM 6 Available

  

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Out of the Park Baseball 20 > OOTP 20 - General Discussions

OOTP 20 - General Discussions Everything about the newest version of Out of the Park Baseball - officially licensed by MLB.com and the MLBPA.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 03-18-2019, 04:19 PM   #21
zrog2000
All Star Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Posts: 1,347
Thanks: 584
Thanked 888x in 528 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by losbravos View Post
...






So that's 2 different answers from 2 different devs, cool.





I play exclusively in Challenge Mode. So despite you agreeing with a concern I'm bringing up in the 'beta-test', I'm being told to "Live with it."



Cool. How do I request a refund, all the links I found through google are dead. I don't see a need to buy this version, when in OOTP 19 a year of development on my favorite player results in him being a better player than who he starts out as in OOTP XX.

edit: Never mind on that last bit, I found it
Imagine if they had to cater to everyone who wants their favorite player rated higher. They'd all be the best player in the league. Ridiculous.

I want Mookie Betts to be at least twice as good as Soto because of last year's stats.

Last edited by zrog2000; 03-18-2019 at 04:20 PM.
zrog2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
4 thanks for this post:
byzeil (03-18-2019), Lukas Berger (03-18-2019), wallewalls (03-18-2019), Will_L (03-18-2019)
Old 03-18-2019, 04:21 PM   #22
jimmysthebestcop
All Star Reserve
 
jimmysthebestcop's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Posts: 639
Thanks: 163
Thanked 306x in 185 posts
Why is this an issue with new MLB live updates? This will sort itself out after a couple of months automatically.
jimmysthebestcop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 04:39 PM   #23
BirdWatcher
Hall Of Famer
 
BirdWatcher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: Denver, Colorado
Posts: 2,605
Thanks: 1,926
Thanked 1,046x in 751 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by losbravos View Post
...
Cool. How do I request a refund, all the links I found through google are dead. I don't see a need to buy this version, when in OOTP 19 a year of development on my favorite player results in him being a better player than who he starts out as in OOTP XX.

edit: Never mind on that last bit, I found it

Whatever floats your boat.
Just be careful you don't cut off your nose to spite your face.
(Or, you know, insert whatever cliches you think are most appropriate here.)
BirdWatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Thank you for this post:
Will_L (03-18-2019)
Old 03-18-2019, 04:51 PM   #24
DawnBTVS
Major Leagues
 
DawnBTVS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: USA
Posts: 413
Thanks: 275
Thanked 134x in 75 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by losbravos View Post
But that's my point,

Soto last year : .292/.406/.517 146 wRC+
Acuna last year (only 10.5 months older): .293/.366/.522 143 wRC+
Could the ratings differences be partly due to ballpark as well regarding ZIPS?

SunTrust Park had a 0.802 HR Factor compared to Nationals Park being 1.173 according to ESPN.

Tie those to the fact that Soto had more BB and fewer K (89 vs. 99 including IBB) compared to Acuna's 53 vs. 123 (including HBP/IBB) and maybe there's an argument to be made that ZIPS believes Soto has a better skill set to put up a similar season as last year in comparison to Acuna who may be more reliant on a high BA to sustain a similar OPS total.

Worth noting that Soto only hit 6 HR at home, which seems like it is low for such a HR favorable park, but better overall whereas Acuna hit better on the road but with similar power totals (IIRC 14 HR against 12 on the road).

I don't have a real dog in the fight but if you told me to project who would have the better season, I'd put my $$ towards Soto largely due to his plate discipline and home ballpark.
DawnBTVS is offline   Reply With Quote
Thank you for this post:
Charley575 (03-18-2019)
Old 03-18-2019, 05:09 PM   #25
dkgo
All Star Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 1,459
Thanks: 49
Thanked 859x in 488 posts
you are crying this much about one player's ratings (based on an entirely separate projection system)?

edit them yourself if you want. that's what I used to do playing franchise modes back when I was 8, it's your game world to play in.

Last edited by dkgo; 03-18-2019 at 05:10 PM.
dkgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 05:19 PM   #26
losbravos
Bat Boy
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Posts: 11
Thanks: 1
Thanked 3x in 3 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by zrog2000 View Post
I want Mookie Betts to be at least twice as good as Soto because of last year's stats.



I'd agree with you, their current ratings should be that different! Using zips for potential ratings is great. Saying that as of opening day 2019 Soto is a better pure hitter than anyone but Mike Trout, because of his ZiPS projections is lazy.
losbravos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 05:38 PM   #27
itsmb8
All Star Reserve
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 621
Thanks: 544
Thanked 331x in 166 posts
Aaaaaaaaaand we're back with another ratings thread lol
itsmb8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Thank you for this post:
BirdWatcher (03-18-2019)
Old 03-18-2019, 05:42 PM   #28
wallewalls
All Star Reserve
 
wallewalls's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Posts: 519
Thanks: 381
Thanked 264x in 146 posts
Soto is projected at a 154 wRC+ on ZiPS and Acuna a 127. Looking at the other projections, they all seem to be in agreement with ZiPS about Acuna, with Steamer, The Bat, ATC projecting him for a 123, 123, 129 wRC+ respectively. Whereas ZiPS appears to be higher on Soto than the other projection systems, the others all have him above a 140 wRC+. I don't think your gripe here is with OOTP, as using an aggregate projection, Soto is projected second in MLB with a .935 OPS, behind only Trout. I'm not saying the projections are right, but I will tend to go with the projections over angry fans. To make you feel better consider that while Soto is not very good defensively, Acuna does make up for it everywhere else with what he does in the field and on the bases, which is why they're both projected in the 4-5 win range, or in other words, both projected to be all-star caliber players.

Last edited by wallewalls; 03-18-2019 at 05:43 PM.
wallewalls is offline   Reply With Quote
3 thanks for this post:
BirdWatcher (03-18-2019), CBLCardinals (03-18-2019), Lukas Berger (03-18-2019)
Old 03-18-2019, 06:07 PM   #29
CBLCardinals
OOTP Roster Team
 
CBLCardinals's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 994
Thanks: 212
Thanked 61x in 47 posts
Why are you bringing logic and fact-driven analysis to this discussion??

It should be just anarchy and emotion-based.

DUDE JOE SCHMOE is rated too low - my uncle knows his hitting coach and heís a beast. And he hits better on Tuesdays after a Big Mac and Fries. Why canít OOTP rate him that way???!!!!!!!!??????

Simple tip for everyone - go to Fangraphs website, go to Zips projections. That will answer majority of any questions one may have on rated too high/too low. Iím sure there are some adjustments here and there beyond that, and if someone looks drastically over/under rated AFTER reviewing both Zips projections and ratings in game, itís fair to bring up.


Quote:
Originally Posted by wallewalls View Post
Soto is projected at a 154 wRC+ on ZiPS and Acuna a 127. Looking at the other projections, they all seem to be in agreement with ZiPS about Acuna, with Steamer, The Bat, ATC projecting him for a 123, 123, 129 wRC+ respectively. Whereas ZiPS appears to be higher on Soto than the other projection systems, the others all have him above a 140 wRC+. I don't think your gripe here is with OOTP, as using an aggregate projection, Soto is projected second in MLB with a .935 OPS, behind only Trout. I'm not saying the projections are right, but I will tend to go with the projections over angry fans. To make you feel better consider that while Soto is not very good defensively, Acuna does make up for it everywhere else with what he does in the field and on the bases, which is why they're both projected in the 4-5 win range, or in other words, both projected to be all-star caliber players.
CBLCardinals is offline   Reply With Quote
Thank you for this post:
wallewalls (03-18-2019)
Old 03-18-2019, 06:36 PM   #30
losbravos
Bat Boy
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Posts: 11
Thanks: 1
Thanked 3x in 3 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wallewalls View Post
Soto is projected at a 154 wRC+ on ZiPS and Acuna a 127. Looking at the other projections, they all seem to be in agreement with ZiPS about Acuna, with Steamer, The Bat, ATC projecting him for a 123, 123, 129 wRC+ respectively. Whereas ZiPS appears to be higher on Soto than the other projection systems, the others all have him above a 140 wRC+. I don't think your gripe here is with OOTP, as using an aggregate projection, Soto is projected second in MLB with a .935 OPS, behind only Trout. I'm not saying the projections are right, but I will tend to go with the projections over angry fans. To make you feel better consider that while Soto is not very good defensively, Acuna does make up for it everywhere else with what he does in the field and on the bases, which is why they're both projected in the 4-5 win range, or in other words, both projected to be all-star caliber players.



For the last time, because I feel like I'm just repeating myself over and over. I have 0 issues with the potential ratings of Soto vs. Acuna.



By starting Soto's opening day CURRENT RATINGS at his ZiPS projectons, he DEVELOPS into this by the end of the season:


Someone who should be producing stats that exceed his ZiPS projections. So they take a bullish projection of Soto, set that as his baseline, and let him develop into someone who should produce at a god like clip.



But I'm being attacked for thinking there's something wrong with that.

Last edited by losbravos; 03-18-2019 at 06:39 PM.
losbravos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 06:45 PM   #31
jimmysthebestcop
All Star Reserve
 
jimmysthebestcop's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Posts: 639
Thanks: 163
Thanked 306x in 185 posts
Soto
K% - 20%
BB% - 16%

Acuna
K% - 25.3%
BB% - 9.2%

And there small minor league numbers are pretty much exactly like that. With Acuna K%, BB% worst off than Soto.

But again with the live update this will change their ratings as they gain stats for the current year. You are playing before the season and complaining about computer projections.

Last edited by jimmysthebestcop; 03-18-2019 at 06:47 PM.
jimmysthebestcop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 06:50 PM   #32
BirdWatcher
Hall Of Famer
 
BirdWatcher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: Denver, Colorado
Posts: 2,605
Thanks: 1,926
Thanked 1,046x in 751 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by losbravos View Post


But I'm being attacked for thinking there's something wrong with that.
I really don't think you are being attacked at all, but if you are being attacked, from your perspective, I don't think it's for "thinking there's something wrong with that." It's more for not accepting that just because you think there is something wrong everyone else has to agree with your logic and come over to your way of thinking.
That's an unrealistic expectation.
And while I don't believe you started the thread this way, it does seem that as this conversation has developed you have become more and more defensive and reactive (over-reactive), and yes, that has probably brought down a bit of backlash against you. If this is truly a deal-breaker for you and causes you to want a refund, that is totally your prerogative. Again, seems like an over-reaction to me, but you have to do what's right for you. But when you swing that like a cudgel around here because you don't feel like you are being heard or agreed with, well, that feels a bit silly.
BirdWatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 07:00 PM   #33
Charley575
Major Leagues
 
Charley575's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Ocala, FL
Posts: 475
Thanks: 50
Thanked 140x in 70 posts
Fictional players be like



Sorry. Too easy.

Something like this happens with every release. I'm sure nobody at OOTPDEV has it out for Acuna. If you think he's been underrated just adjust the ratings to what you think they should be. It'll be ok. The live updates will likely smooth this out over time anyway. Take care.

Last edited by Charley575; 03-18-2019 at 07:05 PM.
Charley575 is offline   Reply With Quote
2 thanks for this post:
BoofBonser26 (03-18-2019), low (03-18-2019)
Old 03-18-2019, 07:18 PM   #34
losbravos
Bat Boy
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Posts: 11
Thanks: 1
Thanked 3x in 3 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BirdWatcher View Post
I really don't think you are being attacked at all, but if you are being attacked, from your perspective, I don't think it's for "thinking there's something wrong with that." It's more for not accepting that just because you think there is something wrong everyone else has to agree with your logic and come over to your way of thinking.
That's an unrealistic expectation.
And while I don't believe you started the thread this way, it does seem that as this conversation has developed you have become more and more defensive and reactive (over-reactive), and yes, that has probably brought down a bit of backlash against you. If this is truly a deal-breaker for you and causes you to want a refund, that is totally your prerogative. Again, seems like an over-reaction to me, but you have to do what's right for you. But when you swing that like a cudgel around here because you don't feel like you are being heard or agreed with, well, that feels a bit silly.

I'll admit I probably am being over reactive to the comments on this board.



However, I didn't request a refund because I disagree with the ratings. I requested a refund because I brought up an issue I had during the 'beta-test', a dev response even said he agreed with me, but ultimately I was told to "deal with it."



It's not a beta test, it's pre-order bonus early access. I wanted a refund because it's just another way OOTP has moved towards the micro-transaction heavy, lootbox filled, carbon copy year to year BS I'd expect from a company like EA or Ubisoft.



I'm out.
losbravos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 07:20 PM   #35
TwinsGuy11
Minors (Triple A)
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 209
Thanks: 52
Thanked 79x in 49 posts
I find some ratings absurd every year... but I just edit them.
TwinsGuy11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 07:52 PM   #36
olivertheorem
All Star Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 1,919
Thanks: 170
Thanked 538x in 387 posts
What Matt said (following on Lukas' explanation of how the ratings got there in the first place) was


Quote:
I'd agree with you, I think Acuna should be just as good offensively as Soto, but I'm not the one to rate the players. You have a few options:
-Live with it
-Manually edit the ratings in commissioner mode
-Use the live updating function to pump Acuna up when he hits a HR every game over the opening weekend
You were not told to just deal with it. You were told that it was one of at least 3 options available to you to handle the situation to your satisfaction.
olivertheorem is offline   Reply With Quote
Thank you for this post:
BoofBonser26 (03-18-2019)
Old 03-18-2019, 08:51 PM   #37
wallewalls
All Star Reserve
 
wallewalls's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Posts: 519
Thanks: 381
Thanked 264x in 146 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by losbravos View Post
For the last time, because I feel like I'm just repeating myself over and over. I have 0 issues with the potential ratings of Soto vs. Acuna.



By starting Soto's opening day CURRENT RATINGS at his ZiPS projectons, he DEVELOPS into this by the end of the season:


Someone who should be producing stats that exceed his ZiPS projections. So they take a bullish projection of Soto, set that as his baseline, and let him develop into someone who should produce at a god like clip.



But I'm being attacked for thinking there's something wrong with that.
What am i looking at in this pic? I dont know what Soto's default ratings are on day 1 of a save, so idk how much hes grown in the season if thats what the issue is. If your issue is the projected statline, that does not really mean anything. I've noticed through the years that that projected statline is really inflated and is not representative of what a players season will end up as. It's not something that should be taken too seriously because it assumes a player is playing all 162 games in a neutral MLB environment, which is not the case in reality. Of course he would exceed ZiPS projections in this environment, every player probably would. The only time I think one should even consider the projected statline is if it's really low.

Last edited by wallewalls; 03-18-2019 at 08:54 PM.
wallewalls is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:38 PM.

 

Major League Baseball trademarks and copyrights are used with permission of MLB Advanced Media, L.P. Minor League Baseball trademarks and copyrights are used with the permission of Minor League Baseball. All rights reserved.

The Major League Baseball Players Association (www.MLBPLAYERS.com ) is the collective bargaining representative for all professional baseball players of the thirty Major League Baseball teams and serves as the exclusive group licensing agent for commercial and licensing activities involving active Major League baseball players. On behalf of its members, it operates the Players Choice licensing program and the Players Choice Awards, which benefit the needy through the Major League Baseball Players Trust, a charitable foundation established and run entirely by Major League baseball players. Follow: @MLB_Players; @MLBPAClubhouse; @MLBPlayersTrust

Out of the Park Baseball is a registered trademark of Out of the Park Developments GmbH & Co. KG

Google Play is a trademark of Google Inc.

Apple, iPhone, iPod touch and iPad are trademarks of Apple Inc., registered in the U.S. and other countries.

COPYRIGHT © 2017 OUT OF THE PARK DEVELOPMENTS. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.

 

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.10
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright © 2020 Out of the Park Developments