Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 20 > Perfect Team
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Perfect Team Perfect Team 2.0 - The online revolution continues! Battle thousands of PT managers from all over the world and become a legend.

Old 03-24-2019, 11:26 AM   #1
mcdog512
Hall Of Famer

Location: Pack Robert Gibson; November 9, 1935 – October 2, 2020
My first real AH purchase - Good deal or Bad deal?

I know, until a few weeks pass and the market shakes out we don't know but any thoughts on this?

I picked up Lou Brock Peak Legend for 25k...first one sold so I may have over or under paid. There is another one up that's got a 30k starting price.
Attached Images
mcdog512 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2019, 11:31 AM   #2
atabakin
All Star Reserve

He's a terrible defender. Assuming you can stomach that, he's a great leadoff option vs. RHP. There are far worse ways to spend 25K.
atabakin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2019, 11:32 AM   #3
mcdog512
Hall Of Famer

Location: Pack Robert Gibson; November 9, 1935 – October 2, 2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by atabakin View Post
He's a terrible defender. Assuming you can stomach that, he's a great leadoff option vs. RHP. There are far worse ways to spend 25K.
Yea, the two downsides were hitting lefties and defense. Upside great gap, great against righties and fast.
mcdog512 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2019, 11:38 AM   #4
rtkretz
Minors (Double A)

I agree with atabakin, way worse ways to spend 25K. I have won 6 perfect level championships in PT19 playing the NL way, defense and small ball, so Brock intrigues me. No way to hide that D, but if you make him a DH on a small ball team, then at worst he is an elite platoon player and spot starter in the outfield. With the right team/stadium/strategy he can be a monster, and a monster for 25K is a deal.
rtkretz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2019, 07:30 PM   #5
SodoMojo
Minors (Double A)

As others have said 25k in an unknown market isn't terrible.

Put him at DH and leadoff and he'll carry you up until Diamond..batting on both sides of the plate. May consider platooning him once in Perfect.

Looks like a fun card to own...great for small ball if you build your park/team around that. That righty gap is very nice.
SodoMojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2019, 10:29 PM   #6
Dxgarnett
All Star Reserve

Thanks for buying it!
Dxgarnett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2019, 07:23 AM   #7
joehart
All Star Starter

The good thing about moving up higher is that you will face more and more RHPs so that plays into his strength. Even if you platoon him in Diamond/Perfect, he will still get lots of opportunities to play.

joehart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2019, 01:17 PM   #8
Mizzery
Minors (Single A)

The interesting thing about the historical diamonds is that many of them have terrible defensive ratings, sub 40 defensive ratings at their best position.

Yes, you can splurge on one and put him in the DH slot, but playing two or more of those players seems unworkable. Interesting to see the results if any of the biggest whale teams field multiple high level historicals with disastrous defensive ratings and completely punt on team defense.
Mizzery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2019, 01:21 PM   #9
zrog2000
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizzery View Post
The interesting thing about the historical diamonds is that many of them have terrible defensive ratings, sub 40 defensive ratings at their best position.

Yes, you can splurge on one and put him in the DH slot, but playing two or more of those players seems unworkable. Interesting to see the results if any of the biggest whale teams field multiple high level historicals with disastrous defensive ratings and completely punt on team defense.
Yeah it's pretty insane. I hated my beta team because I had too many of those guys and had to play Joe Torre at 3B with his 18 defense. I had like 4 guys who had defense of 40 or lower but had great bats.
zrog2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2019, 01:24 PM   #10
rtkretz
Minors (Double A)

Defense Wins Championships

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizzery View Post
Interesting to see the results if any of the biggest whale teams field multiple high level historicals with disastrous defensive ratings and completely punt on team defense.

In PT19 I played against super whales on a week-to-week basis. Sometimes they overpower you straight up, but I won a lot of perfect level championships with pitching, defense, and speed. I was too heavily slanted towards D originally, can't go full D or you won't score enough. But focusing on D with solid pitching, some pop, and above average team OBP is a strategy that will beat the big boppers plenty.
rtkretz is offline   Reply With Quote