Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Franchise Hockey Manager 4 > Franchise Hockey Manager 4 - General Discussion

Franchise Hockey Manager 4 - General Discussion Talk about the latest FHM, officially licensed by the NHL!

Old 03-07-2018, 10:34 PM   #1
rkalcich
Bat Boy

Injuries are infuriating

i'm on my 2037/2038 season and consistently have injuries just destroy my team. This happens every single year and i'm ready to put the game away. Talk me off the ledge but every year when it gets to late Feb/early March i just get bombarded with injuries. i'm not talking day to day kind but it's my top guys and for the season. Completely unrealistic, not sure the rest of your thoughts but there has to be a way to mod this or even it out throughout the season. It's becoming a deal breaker as it consistently happens and i'm just not seeing it with the other teams.
rkalcich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2018, 04:00 AM   #2
JeffR
FHM Producer

They're actually tuned to be a little lower than the real-life games-missed numbers. It's still very possible, though, to have some bad luck and have critical injuries pile up on you; I've had big seasons get sidetracked when that happens (and the same thing happens in real life, Montreal's season was pretty much over three weeks into February with Price and Weber both gone.)

One thing I'd like to change that would make injuries a little more tolerable is adding an ability to defer treatment, i.e. allow players with certain types of serious injuries (that would normally put them immediately out of the lineup) to play hurt and then have off-season surgery. That'd let you keep the guy playing, albeit not as well and at a risk of doing more damage.
JeffR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2018, 05:22 AM   #3
SirMichaelJordan
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffR View Post
They're actually tuned to be a little lower than the real-life games-missed numbers. It's still very possible, though, to have some bad luck and have critical injuries pile up on you; I've had big seasons get sidetracked when that happens (and the same thing happens in real life, Montreal's season was pretty much over three weeks into February with Price and Weber both gone.)

One thing I'd like to change that would make injuries a little more tolerable is adding an ability to defer treatment, i.e. allow players with certain types of serious injuries (that would normally put them immediately out of the lineup) to play hurt and then have off-season surgery. That'd let you keep the guy playing, albeit not as well and at a risk of doing more damage.

And hopefully an injury setting (I actually want more!)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
SirMichaelJordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2018, 05:57 AM   #4
vic24
Minors (Rookie Ball)

It's weird cause it looks indeed to be an injury rate lower than real life as Jeff said. Are you giving too much ice time to your top guys? To happen every year you must have done something to influence those injuries in my own opinion.
vic24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2018, 08:22 AM   #5
rkalcich
Bat Boy

Nothing too crazy as far as line settings, it's just weird. I usually have what i would call normal to a bit light injury issues until mid Feb and then boom. guys start dropping like flies for the season. All in all i would say the rate is normal but seems to ramp up right when the playoff push happens and worse the playoffs with almost always critical players (not necessarily top line). Never had a goalie injury which I also find odd. I'd prefer not to turn injuries off but at this point it would be more realistic.
rkalcich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2018, 12:15 PM   #6
Buchs
Minors (Rookie Ball)

my experience is that injuries seem to be less than real life. I don't doubt that you could get an unlucky streak though.

I just wanted to point out that some tactics like punishing forward and I think crease clearing defenseman say on the tactic role that they increase the chance of injury. So that may be something to keep in mind when setting tactics.
Buchs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2018, 02:03 PM   #7
Kinsella19
Minors (Double A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkalcich View Post
i'm on my 2037/2038 season and consistently have injuries just destroy my team. This happens every single year and i'm ready to put the game away. Talk me off the ledge but every year when it gets to late Feb/early March i just get bombarded with injuries. i'm not talking day to day kind but it's my top guys and for the season. Completely unrealistic, not sure the rest of your thoughts but there has to be a way to mod this or even it out throughout the season. It's becoming a deal breaker as it consistently happens and i'm just not seeing it with the other teams.
This is why I play with injuries off lol
Kinsella19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2018, 02:27 AM   #8
JeffR
FHM Producer

Quote:
Nothing too crazy as far as line settings, it's just weird. I usually have what i would call normal to a bit light injury issues until mid Feb and then boom. guys start dropping like flies for the season. All in all i would say the rate is normal but seems to ramp up right when the playoff push happens and worse the playoffs with almost always critical players (not necessarily top line). Never had a goalie injury which I also find odd. I'd prefer not to turn injuries off but at this point it would be more realistic.
There's definitely no variation built into the injury chances at a specific time of year. Have a look through Injury Tendencies on the player screens of your roster and see if there's a lot of guys with vulnerable/fragile body parts, that could have something to do with it.
JeffR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2018, 10:20 AM   #9
landru22
Major Leagues

An injury slider setting would be a nice addition, That way if you want more - you slide it up. If you want less - you slide it down. You want none you slide it off.
landru22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2018, 04:03 PM   #10
redtiger7
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by landru22 View Post
An injury slider setting would be a nice addition, That way if you want more - you slide it up. If you want less - you slide it down. You want none you slide it off.
This. Not sure why this was removed from the game.
redtiger7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2018, 01:43 AM   #11
Autumn
Minors (Rookie Ball)

I've also noticed if you have a poor trainer there will be more injuries. With better trainers, sometimes your players don't even miss time. Hope that helps.
Autumn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2018, 12:40 PM   #12
QTRaven
Minors (Rookie Ball)

What drives me crazy is the little injuries like a cut face that causes the player to miss a week. How many players miss time with something like that? Even if bad they'll normally still play with a shield on.

Can't those type of injuries be set to allow the player to play just at a lower level?
QTRaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2018, 06:43 PM   #13
Adam B
Hockey Community Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by QTRaven View Post
What drives me crazy is the little injuries like a cut face that causes the player to miss a week. How many players miss time with something like that? Even if bad they'll normally still play with a shield on.

Can't those type of injuries be set to allow the player to play just at a lower level?
I believe every one is different, or rather different ones qualify. It completely depends where a player gets cut on their face that can determine how long they are out. And not every pro can immediately jump back at it. If it's near the eye, they may stay out as a precaution. Swelling can also cause temporary blindness, and that can affect a decision to play as well. This actually happened last year with a Columbus Defenseman in the playoffs.
Adam B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2018, 05:04 AM   #14
Gerry58
Minors (Triple A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autumn View Post
I've also noticed if you have a poor trainer there will be more injuries. With better trainers, sometimes your players don't even miss time. Hope that helps.

Hope this is true. For my playoff run i just fired my old trainer and hired another one with 'very good' ratings
Gerry58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2018, 05:25 PM   #15
Vopat
Minors (Single A)

I've had a player miss game 7 of the Stanley Cup Final because of a bruise.
Vopat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2018, 03:28 AM   #16
South-Side
Bat Boy

Started a season with the Montreal Canadiens and after a few regular season games
Drouin goes down for 5 months. Then Victor Mete for 3 weeks, Petry for 2 weeks and Davidson 1 week and so on. Last one was Pacioretty for 2 weeks. All this in two months. Last night Grabner fell for 2 weeks as well. I played FM and EHM for years, haven't had this happen so I'm a little baffled as it is hard to keep a competitive team to play in the league, one who is already weak. The lineup is thin as it is, poor personnel which you can barely use in trades to get other people.
South-Side is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2018, 01:46 PM   #17
maikgianino
Minors (Double A)

Quote:
Yes, same to me. I play in the SPHL and every single season around February I lose 2 or 3 key players with insane injuries and that's the reason why I can't win the championship. This season, my 4th in front of the Havoc I decided to save 2 first line players so they are backup players now haha

But yeah, I feel like there is something that should be fixed soon.
maikgianino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2018, 03:11 PM   #18
SirMichaelJordan
Hall Of Famer

Hopefully next version will give us a injury setting. I don’t think any of these are bugs. Just a result of having injuries enabled...Guys that want less can tweak and guys that want more (me) can adjust to liking.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
SirMichaelJordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2018, 06:31 PM   #19
Sebastian Palkowski
Developer

I will look into both for FHM 5: adding an injury setting (for people to have less injuries) and if the injuries we have right now still matches real data (both in frequency and length). I just have to update my injury database first.
Old 06-07-2018, 05:07 AM   #20
Sebastian Palkowski
Developer

First results from my tests (I need to further update my NHL data but I have enough data for a first look):

In the game I track how many games a player misses due to injuries (so I take only major injuries into account that make it impossible to play). The info I store is "how many linked games does a player miss", so in the end I know exactly how many player had e.g. an injury that made them miss 3 linked games, 5 linked games or 56 linked games. I also have the total number of injuries and I have them separated by goalies, defender and forwards.

You will not like the results but we are actually quit a bit below the real world data (especially goalies). We are pretty spot on for different length types (1-5 games and 1-14 games compared to 6-82 and 15-82 is almost the same as in reality).

I will continue to update my NHL data and, if the trend holds true, update the injuries in game. But I will also look into making injury frequency optional (basically like OOTP with a Realistic setting and a default average value which is below that and 2-3 more steps). That way everyone should be happy.