Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 15 > OOTP 15 - Historical Simulations

OOTP 15 - Historical Simulations Discuss historical simulations and their results in this forum.

Old 04-20-2014, 10:34 PM   #1
stl jason
Hall Of Famer

All time league

Working on setting up a league to pit the best teams from each current franchise against each other (so each team has it's own league where all it's incarnations will only play each other). Pulled up a list of year-by-year records for each team to get the 30 best winning percentages (or World Series winners), with certain exceptions (custom league only allows teams from 1901, so nothing prior to that made the cut; and some teams haven't been in existence long enough to have 30 teams, so they basically get all their incarnations included). Currently going through to edit each teams name to include the year (so I don't just have 30 teams that say New York Yankees; but rather say New York Yankees 1927 / 1998 / etc.

(minor quibble with the custom league setup - the drop-down box to select the teams isn't always in the same order; so sometimes it has teams alphabetically, others it lists American league first, then National. Can this be defaulted to just list alphabetically regardless of league. Would just make it easier to find the team quicker.)

Anyway - team leagues will be 1 division / 30 teams, playing 162 game schedule. Top 4 teams make the playoffs - 7 game division series, followed by 7 game world series). I figure I'll take the winner from each league and put them all into a subsequent league to fight it out for the best team of all time.
stl jason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 12:34 AM   #2
majesty95
All Star Starter

Sounds cool. Interested to see how it plays out.
majesty95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 03:11 AM   #3
msc123123
Minors (Single A)

Are you considering using teams before name change or move? For example will the 1910 Philadelphia Athletics be considered for the Oakland Athletics position?
msc123123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 08:53 AM   #4
stl jason
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by msc123123 View Post
Are you considering using teams before name change or move? For example will the 1910 Philadelphia Athletics be considered for the Oakland Athletics position?
Correct. The Athletics league will have teams from the Philly years (I don't think any of the KC teams made the cut); Giants will have New York/San Fran; Orioles will have a few of the Browns teams; etc.
Old 04-21-2014, 01:32 PM   #5
sansterre
Minors (Triple A)

What strategy settings will you use? Having 1910 teams run with big bullpens and no stealing isn't really fair to them. Having 2013 teams that don't use their bullpen aggressively isn't fair to them. That's the biggest issue I've run into with cross-era competitions.
sansterre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 02:09 PM   #6
stl jason
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sansterre View Post
What strategy settings will you use? Having 1910 teams run with big bullpens and no stealing isn't really fair to them. Having 2013 teams that don't use their bullpen aggressively isn't fair to them. That's the biggest issue I've run into with cross-era competitions.
good question. Might have to play with those settings and see how it impacts things. All part of the fun.
Old 04-22-2014, 10:25 AM   #7
Stumpy Santo
Bat Boy

I'm making the same type of league too. Being able to import any team from any year is crazy fun. I'm keeping the window of years from 1970 (Baltimore Orioles) to 2011 (Texas Rangers), simply because of personal preference. Looking through teams in Baseball Reference can be a real time suck

Although not a fan, creating a ten-team league of only Yankees teams from different decades would be really cool too.
Stumpy Santo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 12:19 PM   #8
stl jason
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stumpy Santo View Post
I'm making the same type of league too. Being able to import any team from any year is crazy fun. I'm keeping the window of years from 1970 (Baltimore Orioles) to 2011 (Texas Rangers), simply because of personal preference. Looking through teams in Baseball Reference can be a real time suck

Although not a fan, creating a ten-team league of only Yankees teams from different decades would be really cool too.
with all the teams and various settings, the possibilities are endless.

After a brief attempt at running the sim last night, I think I'll have to reconfigure things. It ran crazy slow with all the teams/leagues in the same sim (not to mention how long it took when they all started scouting each other - I'll have to look and see if there's a way to disable scouting). So I think I'll break them all out into their own separate game files.
Old 04-22-2014, 04:24 PM   #9
PedroGuerrero28
Bat Boy

Mix and matching different era teams

Stl Jason,

When you have a chance, would you tell me how to mix and match teams from different eras and put them into a league? I have an idea where I want to put the 1955 Dodgers, 2010 Giants and 1986 Mets in a league. I appreciate your help.
PedroGuerrero28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 07:18 PM   #10
stl jason
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroGuerrero28 View Post
Stl Jason,

When you have a chance, would you tell me how to mix and match teams from different eras and put them into a league? I have an idea where I want to put the 1955 Dodgers, 2010 Giants and 1986 Mets in a league. I appreciate your help.
-choose 'new custom game'

-then select 'create fictional league'

-next screen lets you layout your league. You can choose from existing leagues (US, Japan,, Cuba, etc) or design your own; so you'll want to decide how many teams you'll have; how many divisions/teams per division; etc.

-next screen lets you set the nation/region/league name/etc; and choose teams. Red bar on the left side lets you switch from fictional teams to historical teams; which clears the names below and provides drop-down boxes Then just choose the year(s) and team(s) you want. (Top right has minor league to include. Default has them all checked off. If you don't want minor leagues, uncheck them all).

-next screen lets you pick the league strategy settings (do you want current 2014 settings, or 'deadball' type settings from 1901, etc). As pointed out by Sansterre earlier, this can impact how each team performs, and makes it challenging to pit teams from different eras against each other fairly. I'd suggest once you pick one and get the league setup, you make a backup of the league on day 1; so you can reload it and change the settings to see how different the outcome might be under various league settings.

-next screen lets you set scouting accuracy and rating scales, as well as facegen settings.

-last screen is where you name your league, and choose if you want to be in commissioner mode/gm only/etc. If you are wanting to have the league be one that pits the best teams (or your favorite teams) against each other; you might want to click the 'cannot be fired' box, and then make yourself the GM of every team (so the AI doesn't start trading players between teams.

then kick off your game and have fun. I'd suggest taking a little time to poke around the league settings to make sure all the little details are set how you want, before you jump right into the season; but the nice thing about all this is, you can always just create the league again if it doesn't turn out how you want.
Old 04-23-2014, 03:30 PM   #11
Kiko1313
Minors (Double A)

I'm also setting up an all-time type league and appear to be going about it a little differently than the few I've seen posted here or in other threads. I'll post what I'm planning on doing which may help others in some areas and I would love to hear feedback on mine for possible improvement.

Here is the setup:

Includes any WS participant (winner or loser) and any team with a winning percentage over 0.586 which is equivalent to 95 wins in a 162 game season which ends up being 420 teams.
4 Levels (I refer to them as "Grades" in the game) in a promotion/relegation format:
Grade A - 1 league
Grade B - 2 leagues
Grade C - 4 leagues
Grade D - 8 leagues

28 teams per league (no divisions) with a balanced schedule ends up being 3 home and 3 away games against every team for a total of 162 games. No playoffs, no trading, no player development, no drafts, no injuries, no moral system, no coaches, no scouting, neutral ballparks settings.

You may be surprised by this, but for me, no playoffs is actually quite important since even a bad team can beat a good team in a 7 game series more often than you'd think and considering I'm using top teams of all-time, they're probably much closer in ability and a 7 game series at the end of the season isn't going to tell me much about who's better. So using records from 162 games should tell me more about who's better than using playoffs.

At the end of the season, based on records, bottom 8 teams in each league move down one grade, top 4 teams in each league move up one grade. 2 teams from each league that are staying at the same grade move laterally to other leagues within the same grade in case some teams in the middle of the standings kind of get stuck there and end up playing a lot of the same teams over and over. Maybe they matchup better (or worse) against a different set of teams and will have a chance to move up (or down).

The tricky part (others seem to have the same issue) is figuring out the era settings. At the start of each season I plan to randomly pick a year between 1901 and 2013 and use the settings from that year for all leagues. I will also randomly choose whether the DH will be used or not. So every year I run this, some teams may have an advantage just because of the settings that are chosen rather than actually being the better team. Over time I hope that this balances out since some seasons a given team will have an advantage and other years they'll be at a disadvantage.

I did run a practice season to see if there were any major issues with my setup. I ended up using 1995 settings. It seemed to work fine from what I could see. There were some teams from early 1900's that had almost no bullpen to speak of on their roster which I was worried about, but it didn't appear to be a problem (one of the league winners was a 1901 team that didn't even have 25 players on their roster so it didn't seem to hurt them). Deadball era teams were hitting close to 100 HR's which was lower than other teams, but a lot more than they did in real life which I'd expect with 1995 settings. Team batting averages were between about 0.250 and 0.275 and ERA's were in the mid to high 4's both of which seemed reasonable. It was only one season and I didn't inspect every detail of every team, but the results I saw were roughly what I was expecting and wouldn't say I saw anything way out of whack.

My plan is to run this many times and won't necessarily have an end where at the end I say Team X is the best of all-time. For each season played, I plan to use a formula giving points for each win with wins in higher grades being worth more points, then over the course of say 20 seasons I'll rank the teams by total points (I'll run it more, but would probably only use the last 20 seasons at any time for ranking). I plan to keep a running tab of the top teams based on my formula as this progresses.

I'm really looking forward to seeing how this turns out. I do plan on posting results online if anyone is interested (and I'll post the link when it's ready), but it will take quite a bit of work outside of the game since most of my summaries won't be taken from in-game HTML files. So once I get that set up I'll be good to go. I'm hoping to run the first few seasons this weekend.
Kiko1313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 01:05 AM   #12
gigispeed1332
Minors (Single A)

I hope your going to put the 93 Jays in there!
gigispeed1332 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 10:19 AM   #13
Kiko1313
Minors (Double A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gigispeed1332 View Post
I hope your going to put the 93 Jays in there!
Of course. All WS winners (and losers) will be included.
Old 04-28-2014, 02:53 PM   #14
jrus577
Bat Boy

Kiko - that league sounds really interesting, are you going to post the teams/grades?
jrus577 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 03:56 PM   #15
Diceman
Bat Boy

A different type of historical league

I have another type of league I want to set up. My friends and I have created All-Time teams for all of the franchises where we select the best players for each franchise from any year. For example the Yankees have Ruth, DiMaggio, Mantle, Clemens, Guidry etc each taken from (in our opinion) the best year of their Yankee career. A player can only be used once for each franchise but the same player can be used on different teams if they had great years for different teams.

I would love to re-create this in OOTP. I guess I can create a fictional league but I'm not sure I could cherry pick players from specific past years. Using past computer programs I was able to hand edit each player for each team to match their stats from the desired year but that was a lot of work!

Any thoughts on if this can be done in OOTP? Thanks
Diceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 12:26 PM   #16
Kiko1313
Minors (Double A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrus577 View Post
Kiko - that league sounds really interesting, are you going to post the teams/grades?
Ya, once I get things setup for easily created my webpages. I have been way too busy with work lately and have only been able to run 2 seasons since setting this up so far.

To give you an idea of how I set up the start of the league, I sorted all teams by world series winners, world series losers, others (non WS participants with at least 0.586 winning pct.), then sorted by regular season winning pct. Based on that sorting, top 28 teams started in Grade A, next 56 in Grade B, next 112 in Grade C and the rest in Grade D.

Quick update on the first 2 seasons:
1998 Yankees had the best record in Season 1 with a 95-67 record, but was then relegated to Grade B in Season 2.
1939 Yankees had the best record in Season 2 with a 99-64 record.

Top 5 teams after first 2 seasons (most wins in Grade A):
1939 Yankees - 190
1936 Yankees - 181
1932 Yankees - 180
1907 Cubs - 179
1909 Pirates - 177

Bottom 5 teams after first 2 seasons (fewest wins in Grade D):
2004 Yankees - 119
1956 Redlegs - 127
1999 Rangers - 128
1962 Reds - 129
2000 White Sox - 132

Hopefully will get to run more seasons soon and get the results up online.

Last edited by Kiko1313; 05-13-2014 at 12:27 PM.