Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > iOOTP Baseball > iOOTP - General Discussions
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

iOOTP - General Discussions Talk about iOOTP Baseball, the baseball management simulation for iPhone/iPod/iPad

Old 11-15-2012, 07:02 PM   #1
revcarte
Major Leagues

My 1971 A's Stink

I decided to play the 1971 A's who won over 100 games and thought it would be a fun season. Boy was I wrong. Dave Duncan is hitting .167, Don Mincher is hitting .163, Campaneris .194, Dick Green .203, and Reggie Jackson has one HR through 30 games. wow.
Vida Blue is 1-4 with a 1.34 era. If the opponent scores 3 runs early the game is over. Have no idea what I am doing wrong but my 100 win team is languishing in last place and has no offense at all. No Fun!
revcarte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 09:53 AM   #2
IAmC
Major Leagues

My late-1980s Blue Jays are notoriously slow starters. I keep having to see "Furious" in the Front Office screen when they start out below .400 year after year, only to come back with a surge once the weather warms up. I just keep moving things around with the roster and the lineup until something clicks.
IAmC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 12:08 PM   #3
McGuiser
Major Leagues

Bad performances

Revcarte, we sympathize. The only thing more annoying than deep slumps are repeated injuries.

Are you managing the in-game decisions, or is the AI?

I usually let the AI do game decisions, and I finally realized the obvious -- that I should adjust the team strategy sliders (e.g. have the AI hook starters early when I have really good, multi-inning relief pitchers).

Unfortunately, in my experience, individual players' "slumps" can be season-long -- although being traded seems often to bring serious over- and under-achievers back towards their expected performance.

Sounds as if it is time for you to trade a lot of players, but if you really love the team -- it isn't cheating to start the season again.
McGuiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 06:34 AM   #4
revcarte
Major Leagues

nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by McGuiser View Post
Revcarte, we sympathize. The only thing more annoying than deep slumps are repeated injuries.

Are you managing the in-game decisions, or is the AI?

I usually let the AI do game decisions, and I finally realized the obvious -- that I should adjust the team strategy sliders (e.g. have the AI hook starters early when I have really good, multi-inning relief pitchers).

Unfortunately, in my experience, individual players' "slumps" can be season-long -- although being traded seems often to bring serious over- and under-achievers back towards their expected performance.

Sounds as if it is time for you to trade a lot of players, but if you really love the team -- it isn't cheating to start the season again.
I love the advice about starting over....if it continues much longer I may have to do that, or start another season. Reggie still has only one homer and Blue still has not won another game though his ERA is under 2.
Old 11-26-2012, 05:18 PM   #5
sfnate
Minors (Triple A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by revcarte View Post
I love the advice about starting over....if it continues much longer I may have to do that, or start another season. Reggie still has only one homer and Blue still has not won another game though his ERA is under 2.
You might start a new game, choose to manage a team other than the A's, then quickly sim out a season to see where the A's end up. If they go into the tank (again), there may be an issue with the data used to generate the A's team. If not, if they do well along the lines of what you might expect, then start another season and put yourself in charge (again). If they fail to achieve with you at the helm (again), then you might consider having a long hard look at your tactics and lineup choices.

I bet your current season is just one of those flukes that comes along every so often. I've seen teams go into these weird tailspins that defies logic, but that happens IRL too, for whatever that's worth.

Last edited by sfnate; 11-26-2012 at 05:20 PM.
sfnate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 06:44 AM   #6
revcarte
Major Leagues

Thx

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfnate View Post
You might start a new game, choose to manage a team other than the A's, then quickly sim out a season to see where the A's end up. If they go into the tank (again), there may be an issue with the data used to generate the A's team. If not, if they do well along the lines of what you might expect, then start another season and put yourself in charge (again). If they fail to achieve with you at the helm (again), then you might consider having a long hard look at your tactics and lineup choices.

I bet your current season is just one of those flukes that comes along every so often. I've seen teams go into these weird tailspins that defies logic, but that happens IRL too, for whatever that's worth.
Yes I could be the problem I suppose....but one thing I notice is that many players on the roster are not on the 71 A's. They are missing some key players I think. I guess IOTP uses opening day rosters and not necessarily the players that spent the most time with the team. But still, 1 HR by Reggie Jackson in more than 30 games is awful. Bando leads the team with 3. Nobody else has 2. Pretty bad.
Old 12-05-2012, 08:03 PM   #7
McGuiser
Major Leagues

Revcarte, how did this work out?
Old 12-08-2012, 11:49 AM   #8
revcarte
Major Leagues

not good

Quote:
Originally Posted by McGuiser View Post
Revcarte, how did this work out?
To tell you the truth I am hanging in there with the current season but things have not gotten any better. Reggie still has only one HR through about 40 games I guess and the team still is not hitting.
I just started playing the 75 Reds out of frustration but I may come back and try the 71 A's again at some point. I realize that slumps happen but you do not expect them to last 40 games. Plus, the 71 A's won over 100 games that year so I expected better. Thanks for the input.
Old 12-08-2012, 11:11 PM   #9
McGuiser
Major Leagues

Avuncular advice

Recvcarte, just between us, I would abandon the season, go do something else for a week or two to cleanse your mind, and then come back and start over.

In my experience, in iOOTP a player who does that poorly for 40 games will do roughly the same the rest of the season. Not always, but the chance of your team recovering enough to look like the real thing, or enough to please you, seems slim.

You know the wonderful optimism of early April? Let it happen again.
Old 12-25-2012, 04:38 PM   #10
relrel1809
Minors (Rookie Ball)

I say dont restart just build your franchise up. In my game with the astros my first 9 years I didn't make the playoffs and finished higher than 3rd only once, made a few trades then built my team into annual contenders, stick with it. If you're simming games that is lol
relrel1809 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 08:50 PM   #11
revcarte
Major Leagues

thx

Thanks for suggestions. I do not build up my franchise. I do not trade or draft etc...
My joy is simply in playing a season for a specific team. I would enjoy a shorter season like 80 or 100 games if I knew how to do it.

I think the A's season is a lost cause this time. It is not just Reggie, the whole team is stinking. I guess that happens sometimes but they won over 100 games in real life, that is the surprising thing.
Thanks again for the help.