Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Earlier versions of Out of the Park Baseball > Earlier versions of OOTP: Historical Simulations
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-30-2007, 06:16 AM   #21
cshigh
All Star Reserve

I have a question that I have posted in the tech forum. I have tried simming since 1901. At the beginning of the sim, I clicked enable financials, BUT to have no free agency. After I started simming I wanted to make sure that it would let me change it back to allow free agency when the correct year comes to allow it. But as of right now, it does not.

Does anyone know if you can enable free agency at a later date? Thanks.
cshigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2007, 06:42 AM   #22
rasnell
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MizzouRah View Post
I noticed in this template that the amateur draft is not enabled. Do we enable this later on at a certain year? I was going to change the draft date to Nov 1st, but it's not enabled by default.

I'm guessing the draft started in a certain year? If so, do we change stuff like this on our own or does the game do this automatically?

Thanks,

Todd
I'm guessing that RedSox set his template to automatically import historical players to their original teams, in which case you turn the amateur draft off in the league settings. That forces the players to come into their real teams at the right time in history.

As long as you are in the offseason or pre-season, you can go into the league settings and change anything you want.
Charlie Root won more games for the Cubs than any pitcher (201), yet was remembered for one pitch to Babe Ruth. Find out more about the 1929 World Series in my book, "Root for the Cubs: Charlie Root and the 1929 Chicago Cubs." See the web site at www.rootforthecubs.com. The book is at http://www.amazon.com/Root-Cubs-Char...t+for+the+cubs.

Beta tester, OOTP 2007-2023 and iOOTP 2011-2014.
rasnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2007, 06:43 AM   #23
rasnell
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cshigh View Post
I have a question that I have posted in the tech forum. I have tried simming since 1901. At the beginning of the sim, I clicked enable financials, BUT to have no free agency. After I started simming I wanted to make sure that it would let me change it back to allow free agency when the correct year comes to allow it. But as of right now, it does not.

Does anyone know if you can enable free agency at a later date? Thanks.
On almost any of the league or global settings, you must make these changes in the offseason or pre-season.
Charlie Root won more games for the Cubs than any pitcher (201), yet was remembered for one pitch to Babe Ruth. Find out more about the 1929 World Series in my book, "Root for the Cubs: Charlie Root and the 1929 Chicago Cubs." See the web site at www.rootforthecubs.com. The book is at http://www.amazon.com/Root-Cubs-Char...t+for+the+cubs.

Old 03-30-2007, 06:44 AM   #24
rasnell
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigpapa42 View Post
Going to have to give this a try.

Just curious - what happens to AAA when the MLB expands? Does it match it?
Yes.

Old 03-30-2007, 12:25 PM   #25
Ksyrup
Major Leagues

I have used this template and it is excellent. Great job.

One question...the decision to use just AAA versus additional minor leagues, is that a personal game preference, or is it tied to issues you've seen with historical sims that make having just the single minor league preferable?
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2007, 03:30 PM   #26
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post
I have used this template and it is excellent. Great job.

One question...the decision to use just AAA versus additional minor leagues, is that a personal game preference, or is it tied to issues you've seen with historical sims that make having just the single minor league preferable?
..and can you expand this later on to three minor leagues?
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2007, 03:31 PM   #27
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rasnell View Post
I'm guessing that RedSox set his template to automatically import historical players to their original teams, in which case you turn the amateur draft off in the league settings. That forces the players to come into their real teams at the right time in history.

As long as you are in the offseason or pre-season, you can go into the league settings and change anything you want.
I want the real teams as they started in 1901, but I want the historical rookies drafted by new teams. How many rounds do I set the draft up for? I think it's set to 5 by default.

Also, where do I find the option for FA as I want that turned on as well.

REALLY appreciate everyones help!!!!
Old 03-30-2007, 03:56 PM   #28
cshigh
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by rasnell View Post
On almost any of the league or global settings, you must make these changes in the offseason or pre-season.
No, the problem is that the game will not let you make the change at any point, including the offseason.

I would like to start the game, and then enable free agency at a later date.
cshigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2007, 04:19 PM   #29
Ksyrup
Major Leagues

The game allows you to change certain rules in the off-season. It's just that your definition of off-season is apparently different than the game's.

Do what I did - get to the year you want to enable FA and then sim a week at a time after the season ends until you find the point at which those options work during the "offseason." And they do work - trust us.
Old 03-30-2007, 04:23 PM   #30
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
The game allows you to change certain rules in the off-season. It's just that your definition of off-season is apparently different than the game's.

Do what I did - sim a week at a time until you find the point at which those options work. And they do - trust us.
Hey Ksyrup, where do find that FA option? I'm at work and can't look right now, but I know I couldn't find it earlier.

Thanks!
Old 03-31-2007, 01:12 AM   #31
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Ok, all of my settings are set and I'm in year 1903 right now.

Hats off to all of you who have helped someone like me who is a newbie to historical ootp. Markus has done one hell of a job this year in respect to historical sims! Talk about easy once you get going!!

Hats off to Gambo and his historical photos, wow talk about immersion!

I bought v2006, but barely played it, with v2007, I have to make myself go to bed and learning the history of baseball before my time, has been quite a treat so far. I like using the draft as it allows the bad teams to draft the future historical stars.

Thanks again! I am officially a "historical" player.
Old 03-31-2007, 07:24 AM   #32
rasnell
Hall Of Famer

Keep us posted on your progress. I think you'll love it even more when you start watching those players that you grew up with and also see just how amazing the single season and career leaderboards are when you use player recalc.

Markus worked very, very hard and took quite a pounding from the beta team to turn historical simming into the best of any game I've ever played. And I've purchased every single competitor since the beginning of computers.

Old 03-31-2007, 08:22 AM   #33
Ksyrup
Major Leagues

I have had this game for over a week now and feel like I've gotten my money's worth SOLELY due to the historical sim feature of the game. And I haven't even started actually playing the game itself yet! I'm just simming out alternate versions of history and enjoying looking through player histories and such.

This whole part of the game is quite an accomplishment - the automatic expansion by itself is an incredible addition to the game. I can remember having to do it all myself and come up with a way to create expansion team rosters, etc., and to not have to worry about that kind of stuff anymore is terrific.

Thanks to Markus - and to those of you who pushed him! - for making this such a great feature of the game.
Old 03-31-2007, 10:52 AM   #34
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Agreed, I'm quite happy letting the universe creat itself as I watch through the window of my time machine. This has also allowed me to really learn the interface and where everything is.

Once 2007 gets here, it will be neat to watch as the fictional players mix with the RL players... but I'm a long way from that.
Old 03-31-2007, 11:36 AM   #35
Ksyrup
Major Leagues

I'm in the process of setting up a somewhat complicated "alternative history" universe based on the premise that the Federal League never folded and became a legitimate competitor to MLB, actually winning the legal challenge to MLB's antitrust exemption and forcing MLB to compete for talent and, of course, fans.

Part of that is setting up the league so that all MLB historical rookies from a certain point forward become free agents that can be signed by either league and a rudimentary FA system that came about through an agreement between the 2 leagues in the aftermath of the Supreme Court's [correct] ruling. I'm thinking like a 10-year period before players can become FAs once they sign with either league, to have some continuity in each league's history - somewhat like the Japanese League has with MLB now. In order to support the size of both leagues, I'm probably going to have to introduce a limited number of fictional players (I think I'm going to set up a small feeder league for the FL, so some of these fictional players would likely eventually make their way into the MLB after 10 years). That's going to take it out of the strictly historical sim universe, but my thinking is that since this alternate history is going so far as to introduce another major league and real players are going to be spread between the two leagues, what damage can a few fictional players do to the historical integrity of the universe, right?

Just doing all the research on the FL and placing the players on the correct teams to start the 1914 season has been rewarding in and of itself. I haven't even started simming yet, and it's been a fun (and at times tedious) experience. I just hope it works like I envision it.
Old 03-31-2007, 12:10 PM   #36
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Sounds interesting Ksyrup!
Old 04-02-2007, 10:33 PM   #37
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Hey Redsox45,

I'm not seeing a Rule 5 draft even though it's checked. Under the baseball (sim dates), it shows the draft in 12-01-2012 and it increments one year every year and I'm only in 1908.

Are you seeing this, or am I missing something?

Thanks!

Edit: This is a bug and has been fixed.

Last edited by MizzouRah; 04-04-2007 at 08:05 PM.
Old 04-04-2007, 08:22 PM   #38
Cowboys3356
All Star Starter

Is anyone else having trouble with padrefan's website? I went there to download this template and it would not download. It just kept saying it was timing out.
Cowboys3356 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2007, 09:34 PM   #39
Mrexbaseball
Major Leagues

Infractions: 0/1 (1)
Quote:
Bah! I must be in the minority, but recalc is completely unappealing to me.
I agree...what is the point in doing a historical sim if there's no chance someone else can step up? For example, say Ruth has a few bad years for some odd reason and his ratings go down...then he becomes another average player - that is what's interesting. I always leave recalc OFF.
Mrexbaseball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2007, 09:28 AM   #40
Cowboys3356
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MizzouRah View Post
Just create a new folder called: world_template and then put the file into that folder.
I did that but the template still did not appear. Now to make things even stranger I saved a template I put together in the game myself thinking that then OOTP would create a world_template file on its own. Well the game saved my template and allows me to load it BUT it did not create a world template and I can not find the template I created anywhere?!?!?

Is it saved in the skins folder or something? This is all very odd. Hope someone can help.

Last edited by Cowboys3356; 04-05-2007 at 11:06 AM.
Cowboys3356 is offline   Reply With Quote