Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Earlier versions of Out of the Park Baseball > Earlier versions of OOTP: Historical Simulations

Old 06-06-2006, 04:46 PM   #41
Qrusher14242
All Star Starter

This was with Garlon's db, no fictional players. No minor leagues. Injuries were set to very low. It seems anything higher, i get much more volumes of high range injuries(8-12 months). I cant seem to find a good medium. Cant imagine very high, everyone in the league would get injured.

I found if i did set it to Low, the players didnt last nearly as long. Some into they're early 40's, but nothing like this.
Qrusher14242 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2006, 06:03 PM   #42
DTF955
Minors (Single A)

Well, you *are* in the era of Bill Veeck now. Perhaps those last years were just Hornsby coming back for "guest appearnces" like Minoso's one-shots in 1976 and 1980. Or can you tell he wa son the roster all year?I just wonder why he'd take a liking to the Rajah, Hornsby wasn't that much of a showman or anything. Now, I can see certain players taking advantage because of the vain idea that they still have hits left in their bats. (Then again, ISTR Hornsby did have some ego or other problems that caused him to be traded quite often late in his career. So maybe he *would* develop into one.)You can only blame Bill Veeck for one guy, though, maybe two. (Like Paige.)I guess it would feel like cheating to go in, edit the player, and change him to "retired" status. It would also not be fun - I kind of like the idea. If I didn't have all my classes and stuff toward my new career, I would likely buy the game. It's a lot better than cereer ending injuries to all sorts of top guys. (Now, if it happened only in 1918, or 1942-1945, war years, that *could 8 be an interesting thread for a dynasty.)
DTF955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2006, 06:31 PM   #43
fauteuil7
Major Leagues

Quote:
Originally Posted by redmarkYankees
Definitely interested. I was looking at doing injuries off 1871-1900, very low 1901-1919, low 1920-1942; but was thinking of a lower ageing speed than that, maybe 1.075 (7.5% faster decline?).
Like I said, I just let it run overnight so I didn't have the level of detail you're going to have with your sim there, but here are a few things I've found:

Jimmy Foxx has the all-time record for games played (3482) and retired at age 43. Rogers Hornsby is next and retired at 41.

Willie Mitchell (who only started 190 games IRL) was the pitcher who started the most games (780) and retired at age 42.

And I just discovered common sense...I added "Pro Years" to the view which would be much better for what we're looking for:

Bill Delancy played in 29 seasons, retiring at age 48. Double X was next with 25 seasons and as we all know, he retired at age 43, tied with some others for second oldest playing age.

So, in conclusion, I kinda dig having the settings this way (injuries and position player fatigue set to Low, batter aging speed to 1.250). The batters hang on a couple years into their 40's, there's one anomaly in 55 years who played until he was 48 (and was a catcher, at that). The pitchers capped out at 42 which is a little disappointing. My next sim will probably have the same injury settings, 1.200 batter aging, and maybe 0.9500 pitcher aging, just to see what that might do.
fauteuil7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2006, 03:37 AM   #44
JimG
Banned

Can someone post the results of a 50 year historical sim with aging set to 0.00?
JimG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2006, 11:00 AM   #45
Stealthintexas
Bat Boy

I'm seeing similar results for Rogers Hornsby. He's still active at age 65! I'm using Tigerfan's 1901 quick start game with the Arod23 Garlon database. Injuries are set to low, and in 1948 he was out 7 months with a torn MCL. I thought for sure he'd retire after that season. He's been hanging around in the minors for the past 10 years. At this point I'm wondering if he's ever going to retire.
Stealthintexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2006, 08:06 PM   #46
blgoblue2
Banned

Still not to 500 homeruns, eh?
blgoblue2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2006, 08:12 PM   #47
Bishop
All Star Reserve

In my latest playing around, Ted Williams lasted until 50. Hung on a few years past what I would think was effective, but he still had 200+ AB per year. From 1938-1968. Finally retired with the St. Louis Browns, who never moved to Baltimore, because they won 23 pennants and 14 series, far and away the best team in this baseball history.
Bishop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2006, 09:53 PM   #48
Stealthintexas
Bat Boy

Nope, Hornsby is still at 478 home runs, which is where he'll stay unless his team wants to call up a 65 year old.

He's still about 1000 at bats behind Ty Cobb on the career list though. And about 700 hits behind.
Stealthintexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2006, 10:38 PM   #49
Raidergoo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stealthintexas
Injuries are set to low
Once that is done all bets are off.
Raidergoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2006, 01:43 AM   #50
Qrusher14242
All Star Starter

But if you set it to normal ,you get way too many CEI's. There doesnt seem to be any middle ground.
Old 06-12-2006, 02:06 AM   #51
Raidergoo
Hall Of Famer

CEI's is nature's way of making a ballplayer quit. Many player quit because they are broken, not because they want to.
Raidergoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2006, 10:17 AM   #52
redmarkYankees
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raidergoo
CEI's is nature's way of making a ballplayer quit. Many player quit because they are broken, not because they want to.
Still too many CEIs, though. Those sort of retirements should be the result of a period of decline following a number of injuries, not a player at his peak suddenly retiring immediately he gets blurred vision. In any case as has been mentioned before, injuries at normal doesn't necessarily fit an historical sim. The rookies drafted have already filtered out those who took a CEI in the minors or an early majors at bat. They also don't include most of the AAA players who would cover for the occasional injury.

If what you're saying is that players don't retire at a realistic age unless they've had series of injuries, then the answer is still that the ageing model is wrong. Injuries shouldn't be used to make up for a weakness in the ageing model. Note, I think injuries effect on player development is also too harsh; I've seen a number of examples of players with a minor (2 weeks, say) injury, suffering significant potential hits. If anything, a minor injury should reduce ratings slightly - only serious longer term injuries should damage potential.
Old 06-12-2006, 03:28 PM   #53
Qrusher14242
All Star Starter

In 6.5, players would retire because they're ratings would drop without injuries on. Now, there doesnt seem to be an aging curve at all. Without injuries, they're ratings stay basically the same throughout their whole career. So they have no reason to retire.

Also, CEI's seem to only happen to guys with good ratings. At least thats what i have seen. Hopefully someone can release a good injury file with CEI's toned down. I dont mind injuries, but 90% of the injuries are over 5 months. Seems excessive.
Old 06-12-2006, 11:06 PM   #54
Syd Thrift
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qrusher14242
In 6.5, players would retire because they're ratings would drop without injuries on. Now, there doesnt seem to be an aging curve at all. Without injuries, they're ratings stay basically the same throughout their whole career. So they have no reason to retire.

Also, CEI's seem to only happen to guys with good ratings. At least thats what i have seen. Hopefully someone can release a good injury file with CEI's toned down. I dont mind injuries, but 90% of the injuries are over 5 months. Seems excessive.
Check post #33 here. The next step, I think, is to find a way to make concussions, etc. more popular than ruptured discs. Well, I'm not 100% sure the game will work with these hugely long injury recovery times (just short of 3 years in one case)... but we'll see.
Syd Thrift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2006, 11:38 AM   #55
TheeeeeeeeeYankeesWin
Minors (Single A)

Rogers Hornsby 51 years old. Please, let the damn guy retire already. Two World Wars and a Cold War and the guy's still limping out there?

Babe Ruth still w/ the Sox> thats a outrage. And on top of it, it looks like he avoided the beer and hot dogs!

PS: the stats on Ruth up until '34 are actually pretty amazing in their accuracy.