Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Earlier versions of Out of the Park Baseball > Earlier versions of OOTP: Historical Simulations
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-03-2006, 03:21 PM   #1
KurtBevacqua
Hall Of Famer

Sim from 1901, how are you guys doing it?

I've been trying to do a good all-time sim since I downloaded Wed, and have yet to get futher than a couple season. I'm using TigerFan's great league file. And the AI inevitably down the line makes a trade or some roster move for some team that gets their AAA team down to 7 players. Happens every time, and seems to always be St Paul. No injuries, roster down to 22, expanded roster to 22. Just happened again on the exact same date, Apr 23, 1903, that it happened the last time I tried this sim. Same team, same date, same problem. And I read guys all over the place talking about how they simmed all the way through first try. How? Oh I hope Markus fixes this.
"The type and formula of most schemes of philanthropy or humanitarianism is this: A and B put their heads together to decide what C shall be made to do for D. The radical vice of all these schemes, from a sociological point of view, is that C is not allowed a voice in the matter, and his position, character, and interests, as well as the ultimate effects on society through C's interests, are entirely overlooked. I call C the Forgotten Man"

- William Graham Sumner
KurtBevacqua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2006, 03:32 PM   #2
Jeremy Weimer
Hall Of Famer

I don't use minors for one thing. For another I keep my injuries on very low and player fatigue on low. I'm in 1945 and have yet to have a single problem with progressing.
Jeremy Weimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2006, 03:39 PM   #3
KurtBevacqua
Hall Of Famer

I have injuries off entirely and a 21 player majorleague roster with no roster expansions. Tigerfan added the minors just to give us extra fill-in players to avoid this problem until enough guys come in via the draft. Either everyone else is super lucky or I am super-unlucky cause I have tried this over a dozen times and can't get more than 3 years simmed before getting it killed by illegal rosters.
"The type and formula of most schemes of philanthropy or humanitarianism is this: A and B put their heads together to decide what C shall be made to do for D. The radical vice of all these schemes, from a sociological point of view, is that C is not allowed a voice in the matter, and his position, character, and interests, as well as the ultimate effects on society through C's interests, are entirely overlooked. I call C the Forgotten Man"

- William Graham Sumner
Old 06-03-2006, 03:44 PM   #4
Jeremy Weimer
Hall Of Famer

I dunno what to tell you man. I've created a few different leagues and have been able to get as far as I wanted without illegal rosters. Are you managing a team or playing in commish mode? I don't know if that makes any difference as it shouldn't, but you never know with first version releases.
Old 06-03-2006, 03:49 PM   #5
KurtBevacqua
Hall Of Famer

Running in commish, and on top of that it's skipping my amateur drafts entirely. This game, brilliant as it is, is crap in historic sim mode.

- William Graham Sumner
Old 06-03-2006, 03:55 PM   #6
Jeremy Weimer
Hall Of Famer

When is your draft set to? March 1st?
Old 06-03-2006, 04:22 PM   #7
TheBishop
Minors (Double A)

The game crashed on me everytime I tried to make a historical league with minor leagues. I have since made a historical league without them, set it up and simmed 10 years without instance.

but I understand your thought in post number 5, KB
TheBishop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2006, 05:41 PM   #8
TheBishop
Minors (Double A)

Hehe, well let me go back a step......

The game didn't automatically put any prospects on the teams despite being setup to do so. It didn't autodraft as it was setup to do so. The league had to stop due to a lack of players on half the teams suddenly as there were no replacements to be had.

It's also now crashed on me 8 times over 3 different league attempts. It doesn't say why, it just crashes.

Come on patch number 1..........
TheBishop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2006, 05:50 PM   #9
BadluckinOOTP
All Star Starter

I hadn't really noticed, since its not a stat I pay TOO much attention too, but in the one I have that has reached 1935, my single season batter strikeout record is in the 230's.

And on the ones I've restarted, they've been very high. Honus Wagner struck out 198 times in 1908 in my league!
Old 06-04-2006, 06:26 AM   #10
KurtBevacqua
Hall Of Famer

So when are you guys doing amateur drafts? It keeps screwing that up for me as well when using real rookies. Using fictional players is just fine, but with real players it shows the draft coming up, then right on the eve of the draft it shoots right on by and rescheds for the next season, with a draft pool full of undrafted players. This is immensely frustrating now and probably the reason why I am getting illegal rosters.

- William Graham Sumner
Old 06-04-2006, 08:01 AM   #11
redmarkYankees
All Star Starter

With the amateur draft turned off, (i.e. import real rookies automatically to historical teams), they appear to be imported on Feb 15th ('preseason begins'). You don't get any notification of the event, other than a dialog flashing by which does at one point (very briefly) say "importing players". Checking transactions, you can also see roster moves on that day.

The automatically imported rookies don't get a history item (drafted by...), which is a shame and perhaps something that could be changed.

I'll try changing the rules now to have an amateur draft, and see when the first one happens. If I go for a March 1st draft, I should get one next year but not this, (or get an empty draft pool?) as they've already imported.
Old 06-04-2006, 08:04 AM   #12
redmarkYankees
All Star Starter

OK, not quite right (but better than KB's getting?) - despite having auto-imported 1904 rookies on Feb 15th 1904, then changing to give an amateur draft, I get a full draft pool just two weeks later, of players who didn't debut until 1905.
Old 06-04-2006, 08:07 AM   #13
redmarkYankees
All Star Starter

Thought - KB: under Game Setup > League Setup > Rules... have you checked the database path is correct?

And have "Automatically Import Historical Rookes" ticked?

Last edited by redmarkYankees; 06-04-2006 at 08:11 AM.
redmarkYankees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2006, 08:24 AM   #14
KurtBevacqua
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by redmarkYankees
Thought - KB: under Game Setup > League Setup > Rules... have you checked the database path is correct?

And have "Automatically Import Historical Rookes" ticked?
All done. Believe me, I've done this so many times I've got it down. I've checked everything. The only way I can get a historic sim to work is to start on my own with Ankits, with the db path certainly correct. I start with 22 man roster, no injuries, created a AAA team, and even then I have periodically had to go in and fill teams with illegal rosters in AAA with more fictional players because AI management seems to want to make trades or get rid of players in an irrational manner. And it seems I have to just have historic rookies go with their original teams. I have notgotten a draft with historic rookies to work.

Starting in 2003, byt 2006 I went with very low injury settings and still a 22 man roster, had to fix one team in 06 that went illegal in AAA, but have now made it to 1910. I intend to go to 25 man rosters now. Pray for me to the baseball roster gods.

- William Graham Sumner
Old 06-04-2006, 09:44 AM   #15
redmarkYankees
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by KurtBevacqua
All done. Believe me, I've done this so many times I've got it down. I've checked everything. The only way I can get a historic sim to work is to start on my own with Ankits, with the db path certainly correct. I start with 22 man roster, no injuries, created a AAA team, and even then I have periodically had to go in and fill teams with illegal rosters in AAA with more fictional players because AI management seems to want to make trades or get rid of players in an irrational manner. And it seems I have to just have historic rookies go with their original teams. I have notgotten a draft with historic rookies to work.
Weird. I got a 1996 Ankit DB (as well as a Lahman 1901) to work fine with the draft; took advantage of a still-too-easy trade system to not only trade my mid-30's Yankees for the likes of Pedro, Hampton, Thompson, Wagner, Manny, Knoblauch, Giambi but ALSO several 1st-round draft picks, including 1st overall - Vlad is a Yankee.
Old 06-04-2006, 09:47 AM   #16
redmarkYankees
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by KurtBevacqua
And it seems I have to just have historic rookies go with their original teams. I have notgotten a draft with historic rookies to work.
Just checking, because one bit of the setup could potentially be confusing:

- Automatically Import Historical Rookies = Yes.
- Amateur Draft = Yes.

(Being specific because I could imagine some users thinking the first automatically puts them on teams - it doesn't. It just imports them, then whether amateur draft is enabled or not determines where they go).
Old 06-04-2006, 10:58 AM   #17
Kelric
Hall Of Famer

I twice tried to start a 1901-the future sim last night. Both times the game crashed on me going from 1903 to 1904. Maybe it was some other time (like playoffs, or trade deadline, I don't know), but I had definitely reached 1903 both times. Can't figure it out.
Kelric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2006, 12:13 PM   #18
rdklein
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelric
I twice tried to start a 1901-the future sim last night. Both times the game crashed on me going from 1903 to 1904. Maybe it was some other time (like playoffs, or trade deadline, I don't know), but I had definitely reached 1903 both times. Can't figure it out.

same thing.

worked fine 01-03... then crashed before the 04 season.

its happened to me twice.
rdklein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2006, 12:25 PM   #19
Kelric
Hall Of Famer

I was able to hand sim it (doing autoplay to the next in game activity - ammy draft, trade deadline, playoffs, etc.) to finish '03 but as soon as I got to 1904 and told it to sim for the next century, it crashed sometime in 1904. Right now I just told it to sim just 1904 and I'm up to mid-April without a problem.

Edit - I just jinxed myself because 30 seconds later it crashed. So it's isn't the transition from 1903-1904, it's something else. I'm not sure what is scheduled for the end of April/sometime in May that would have it do this.

Second edit - Okay, rather than continuously posting I'm just editing. I'm up to April 4th, the season has started. This is what remains on the schedule for all my leagues up until All Star rosters get announced in mid-June for the minor leagues:

April 7th - Triple-A, Double-A, Single-A Opening Day.
April 15th - Spring Training for a fictional league.

Simming one week at a time, I crashed on April 8th at 57% of the day which appeared to be a minor league game between Chattanooga and some other team. Let's see if I can duplicate that.

Third edit - Simming up to April 7th without a problem. Simmed the 7th with no problem. Saved the game so I don't have to keep coming back here by simming after every crash. Simmed April 8th without a problem.

I don't get it. WTH is going wrong?

Yet another edit - Now it crashed on June 5th with another minor league game involving different teams. I give up until the patch is out.

Last edited by Kelric; 06-04-2006 at 12:50 PM.
Kelric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2006, 03:37 PM   #20
Shaner99
Minors (Single A)

Damn I don't know why you guys are having all of this trouble. I've been able to successfully sim upto 1950+ numerous times already.(No minors) Which is why I'm thinking it has something to do with the minors. What? I have no clue, maybe something about the AI, which I saw is being addressed in the next patch.

I do have one question though, if you enabled the fantasy draft, how many rounds are you using?
Shaner99 is offline   Reply With Quote