Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Title Bout Championship Boxing > TBCB Mods
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-26-2006, 11:55 PM   #221
Austin
Minors (Triple A)

From the short story Stop The Fight! by Norman Katkov

A story about a former boxer whose son has the makings of greatness in the ring. The young man's mother, however, is dead set against any more matches and wants him to quit after this last bout. Father and son naturally have a different view. This poses a family dilemma that hinges in part on the outcome of the fight.

Gino is a boxer, a cutie and former golden gloves champ with 6 pro bouts.

This is the last of the short stories. Next is Rich Man, Poor Man by Irwin Shaw.
Attached Files
File Type: tbdx2 Wojick_Pete.tbdx2 (1.9 KB, 163 views)
File Type: tbdx2 Battaglia_Frankie.tbdx2 (1.9 KB, 157 views)
File Type: tbdx2 Genovese_YoungGino.tbdx2 (2.2 KB, 164 views)
Austin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2006, 02:12 PM   #222
Austin
Minors (Triple A)

From the book Rich Man Poor Man by Irwin Shaw

This is a story of Rudolph, Gretchen, and Thomas Jordache, children of an embittered German immigrant. Nutured on traditional views of American success, each pursues the illusion of happiness in his own way, determined to achieve his "birthright."

A slugger who was willing to take two to land one, Tommy Jordache liked to work on the inside. An underdog to Virgil Walters, he was confident that he could win the fight. After a big win in England, fast woman and fine wines put Jordache career in reverse! He was now reduced to being a sparring partner for leading contenders.
Attached Files
File Type: tbdx2 Agos_Joe.tbdx2 (2.2 KB, 154 views)
File Type: tbdx2 Jordache_Tommy.tbdx2 (2.1 KB, 162 views)
File Type: tbdx2 Walters_Virgil.tbdx2 (1.9 KB, 158 views)
File Type: tbdx2 Quayles_Vicente.tbdx2 (2.1 KB, 165 views)
Old 07-05-2006, 08:50 PM   #223
Romultiltus
Hall Of Famer

Robert DeNiro

I guess this is as good a place as any to post this pic...
Attached Images
Romultiltus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2006, 04:13 PM   #224
bear
Global Moderator

DeNiro as LaMotta is appropriate here indeed. Thanks for the imput.

Bear
bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2006, 04:21 PM   #225
bear
Global Moderator

Been busy with work for the past several weeks. Diggstown is coming soon. I've re-watched the tape and made notes of the book. I'll cover the differences. Film raises Honey Roy's weight class up to heavy and gives him a pro record. In the book he's a middleweight with a boxing history in the golden gloves.

Bear
Old 07-06-2006, 04:21 PM   #226
Jim_Kidd
All Star Reserve

I finally went through this thread from the beginning, even though it's been on this board for awhile. It's a great thread and I'm glad I took the time to go through it. Fictional fighters can really add another dimension to the game, especially if your replay/universe starts getting a little stale.
Jim_Kidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2006, 05:48 PM   #227
bear
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim_Kidd
I finally went through this thread from the beginning, even though it's been on this board for awhile. It's a great thread and I'm glad I took the time to go through it. Fictional fighters can really add another dimension to the game, especially if your replay/universe starts getting a little stale.
Jim
Thanks. It's a bit of fun and covers a different area of boxing history and lore.

Bear
Old 07-08-2006, 09:44 AM   #228
Austin
Minors (Triple A)

Bear,

I just got a copy of Boxing Stories by Robert E. Howard. Howard first made an impact writing for the pulp magazine Weird Tales during the 1920s and 30s. Conan, Kull and Solomon Kane are some of his most popular heroes. Howard loved boxing and that inspired him to write this book. I'll start posting additional fighters as I read his short stories.

Austin

P.S. I notice that I have a tendency to be a conservative in my ratings. Hopefully, I'll lighten up a little.
Old 07-08-2006, 10:10 AM   #229
bear
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin
Bear,

I just got a copy of Boxing Stories by Robert E. Howard. Howard first made an impact writing for the pulp magazine Weird Tales during the 1920s and 30s. Conan, Kull and Solomon Kane are some of his most popular heroes. Howard loved boxing and that inspired him to write this book. I'll start posting additional fighters as I read his short stories.

Austin

P.S. I notice that I have a tendency to be a conservative in my ratings. Hopefully, I'll lighten up a little.
Austin
He also contributed to Fight Stories magazine. I'll also be doing the Set-Up. As with Diggstown there are differences between the film and March's epic poem.

Bear
Old 07-11-2006, 11:03 PM   #230
Austin
Minors (Triple A)

Hi Bear,

I started reading Robert E. Howard's book Boxing Stories. As fighters keep reapearing in different short stories, I'll have to finish the book before rating fighters.

Austin
Old 07-17-2006, 10:03 PM   #231
Austin
Minors (Triple A)

Hi Bear,

Sailor Steve Costigan seems to be Robert E. Howard's favorite chacter. I find him very difficult to rate. He's never been KO'd but gets dropped a lot, 6 times a fight. I used Joe Grim as a guide for rating him. Howard describes Costigan as a second rater with terrific punch. When I test him he gets KO's a lot. Take a look at the attachment and see if you can come up with some changes without making him the second coming of Jack Dempsey.

Sailor Steve Costigan is an all offense slugger, who doesn't know how to back up. A poor defense causes him to get dropped a lot, but he always seems to get up. He does much better against sluggers than boxers.

Slade Costigan, Mike Costigan (Steve's brother) and Mike Brennon also appear in Howard's stories. The author's description of these fighters’ appearance and style make them clones of Sailor Steve Costigan. As a result I didn't put them into the game.

Austin

P.S. I'm now reading Diggstown. They keep talking about this undefeated LHW Champion who the town is named after. I don't see how a fictional boxer who the author fails to say one thing about can be rated. Sailor Steve Costigan is discribed in detail in over a dozen bouts. Although difficult to rate because he gets dropped a lot but never KO's, it's easy to get a feel for his style.
Attached Files
File Type: tbdx2 Costigan_SailorSteve.tbdx2 (2.4 KB, 152 views)
Old 07-17-2006, 11:10 PM   #232
IceTea
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bear
Austin
He also contributed to Fight Stories magazine. I'll also be doing the Set-Up. As with Diggstown there are differences between the film and March's epic poem.

Bear
** You ever get that Canastota picture completed?

MJ
IceTea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2006, 06:40 AM   #233
Austin
Minors (Triple A)

IceTea,

I'm having a senior moment, what do you mean?

Austin
Old 07-19-2006, 11:15 PM   #234
IceTea
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin
IceTea,

I'm having a senior moment, what do you mean?

Austin
The group photo that was taken at the Boxing Hall of Fame card show.

MJ
IceTea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2006, 09:36 AM   #235
Austin
Minors (Triple A)

IceTea,

My daughter, Rhiannon, took my camera for the purpose of finishing off the role of film. She tells me that it is completed. If so, I'll get them developed ASAP and send you copies.

Austin
Old 07-27-2006, 08:44 PM   #236
bear
Global Moderator

Work has been chaotic for the past few weeks. Summer semester ends tomorrow and Ill be active here once again. A much welcome two-week vacation will be starting.

Bear
Old 07-28-2006, 11:11 AM   #237
Austin
Minors (Triple A)

From the novel Diggstown by Leonard Wise

A boxing story about a boxer who will fight 10 local men from Diggstown for stakes approaching $500,000. Honey Roy Palmer, from Chicago, agrees to fight 5 men each day, 5 rounds a bout. Only two of the 10 men have any pro boxing experience, but they are all mean and nasty.

Clarence Macum Diggs, greatest fighter of all times, former LHW champ. The author never provided any background information about Diggs’s career, as a result, I didn’t rank him for the game.

Honey Roy Palmer, 5’ 9”, 160 lbs., broad shoulders, small waistline, good jab, counter puncher and good footwork, good punch in either hand, excellent defense. 28 armature fights; W 27 (26), 1 L (0), national GG champion. Although having no pro experience, I ranked him on the assumption that an outstanding armature could go deep into the pro ranks even in his 1st pro bout. Although out of boxing for years, the story indicated that Palmer still sparred in the gym with local pros.
Attached Files
File Type: tbdx2 Palmer_HoneyRoy.tbdx2 (2.3 KB, 152 views)
Old 07-28-2006, 03:13 PM   #238
Austin
Minors (Triple A)

Listed below are the five boxers from day 1. Only Buck Holland has pro experience. The hope is the cumulative punishment of the 10 fighters will ware Honey Roy out.

Sam Lester (1), 5’ 8”, 160 lbs., light hitter, easiest opponent of the 10 boxers, slow of mind and body. Lester’s role is to run from Honey Roy for 5 rounds if he can, to tire him out.

Slim Busby (2), in good shape but light hitter, agrees to take a dive

Robby Gillon (3), star HS quarterback, excellent athlete, good defensive skills, excellent condition, good overhand right

Buck Holland, (4), 6’ 4”, 195 lbs, some ring experience when he was 18, doesn’t like getting hit, has better skills than most of the 10 Diggstown men.

Hambone Busby (5), strong but wild swinger, his body as wide as an ox, and his shoulders were bulky and thick and tight. Hambone had no waistline, he was muscular and big.
Old 07-28-2006, 03:16 PM   #239
Austin
Minors (Triple A)

Here are the 5 boxers from day 1. I sent the e-mail without the attachments.
Attached Files
File Type: tbdx2 Lester_Sam.tbdx2 (2.0 KB, 164 views)
File Type: tbdx2 Busby_Slim.tbdx2 (1.9 KB, 149 views)
File Type: tbdx2 Gillon_Robby.tbdx2 (2.0 KB, 175 views)
File Type: tbdx2 Holland_Buck.tbdx2 (2.1 KB, 158 views)
File Type: tbdx2 Busby_Hambone.tbdx2 (2.0 KB, 154 views)
Old 07-29-2006, 12:11 AM   #240
Austin
Minors (Triple A)

In ranking the 10 Diggstown fighters, I took into consideration if they had fought pro. Taking a tough street fighter and training him for 2 weeks doesn’t give you a professional boxer. Robby Gillon, Hambone Busby, Sonny Hawkins and Tank Miller in real life would have pro potential. But as in real life, with only 2 weeks of training, when hit all reverted back to being a street fighter.

Boxers 6 to 10 fighting day 2

Frank Mangrum (6), 5’ 8”, weighed a flabby 205 lbs., light hitter

Billy Hargrove (7), 20 lbs lighter than Sonny Hawkins, small kid, light hitter, agrees to take a dive

Sonny Hawkins (8), excellent condition, willing to trade on the inside, aggressive, mean and nasty. Was tight end on the HS football team, smaller than Robby Gillon. Being the 8th fighter in the ring with Honey Roy Palmer, plans to go for a KO!!

Tank Miller (9), 6’ 3”, 235 lbs., a bouncer who’s as strong as an ox. Thinks he can KO Palmer with little difficulty.

Minoso Alfredo Torres (10), 5’ 10”, 174 lbs., from Dallas, TX, 22 pro bouts, W 21, L 1, D 0, banned from boxing for blatant fouling in his bouts. Thinks he can take Palmer in even fight, has the advantage of facing a badly beaten and exhausted Honey Roy.
Attached Files
File Type: tbdx2 Mangrum_Frank.tbdx2 (2.0 KB, 152 views)
File Type: tbdx2 Hargrove_Billy.tbdx2 (1.9 KB, 164 views)
File Type: tbdx2 Hawkins_Sonny.tbdx2 (2.0 KB, 156 views)
File Type: tbdx2 Miller_Tank.tbdx2 (1.9 KB, 151 views)
File Type: tbdx2 Torres_Minoso.tbdx2 (2.0 KB, 155 views)