Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 18 > OOTP 18 - Historical Simulations

OOTP 18 - Historical Simulations Discuss historical simulations and their results in this forum.

Old 05-26-2017, 11:58 AM   #1
bjohn13
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Brooklyn Atlantics/Grays/Superbas/Robins/Dodgers: 1884-

Hello,

I have been a long time player of sports simulations who sold his soul to the Out of the Park Baseball back when it used to be called Season Ticket Baseball. I like to play historical simulations, and I've played plenty over the years. The longest I've ever made it is 26 years. I'm pretty certain I have posted on this board before, but I could not, for the life of me, remember what my username and/or password was. Or what email address I used to register.

OOTP 18 appears to have a unique feature in the Challenge Mode that has prompted me to start a new franchise. I went all the way back to the 1884 season when the Los Angeles Dodgers were officially born into the Major Leagues as the Brooklyn Atlantics.

Some ground rules:

I am playing as Brooklyn with the challenge mode turned on. The league starts with a fantasy draft prior to the 1884 season. I have tweaked some settings to try to capture modern day aspects of the game combined with the historical accuracy of the talent of each player. I have four-man rotations turned on with fatigue and substitution tendencies set to "normal". I will concede that this gave me a distinct advantage in my inaugural draft, as I went directly after pitching in a pitching scarce league.

I am playing as manager and general manager, but the only items I control in-game are substitutions. I leave most of the on-field strategic decisions up to the AI. The primary reason is because I will practically never steal a base (among other things), and allowing the AI to make those decisions provides for a more realistic outcome.

The DH is enabled in the American League for the duration of this replay.

I will also warn that I have a tendency to trade extra roster players for draft picks, and I'll take as much of what the computer teams will give me in those deals.

I'm going to post a season synopsis for each season I play. Please let me know if you have any suggestions on making this better*.

To start, here is a list of the Brooklyn Grays' picks for the inaugural draft conducted prior to the 1884 season. Record keeping at the time was shoddy at best, so record of 24th pick have been lost to the sands of time**.

* I am searching for a way to make file hosting easier. For work, I spend a lot of time copying and pasting images into documents. Its' a process I dislike immensely, and adding the step of having to host the document first has had me reluctant to start posting. I'm going to give it a shot, though. If anyone has any suggestions, here, that would be amazing.

** I didn't start recording until the third season. Because of this, along with some of the settings I have selected, I believe this player retired before ever reaching the Majors. That means that his existance in the database is lost because I have the setting to delete players who never make it to the Majors enabled.

Last edited by bjohn13; 05-27-2017 at 07:16 AM.
bjohn13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2017, 07:42 AM   #2
bjohn13
Minors (Rookie Ball)

The 1884 Season

Opening Day Lineup
C Tom Daly
1B Thomas Gorman
2B Al Myers
3B Billy Nash
SS Dave Drew
LF Conny Doyle
CF Dick Johnston
RF Oyster Burns
SP Henry Porter

April
The Brooklyn Atlantics got off to a hot start in the month of April thanks to the heavy hitting of youngster Oyster Burns combined with the dominance of the Brooklyn pitching staff led by Henry Porter. Burns won the “rookie of the month” award due to his .421 batting average in the month of April, while Porter turned in a dominant performance striking out 61 hitters in 7 starts.

In a significant setback for Brooklyn, closer Al Maul was put on the disabled list on April 10 with a rotator cuff issue. He would not return, and the closer role was never really settled after that. Additionally, rookie phenom Billy Nash got off to a horrendous start. Without any hits through the first three weeks of the season, he was moved to the bench in favor of Jumbo Davis.

Brooklyn finished the month of April with 21 wins and 4 losses, a full seven games ahead of the second place New York Gothams. Brooklyn would prove to need those games.

May
Setback after setback plagued Brooklyn in the month of May. Oyster Burns missed most of the month with a lingering hamstring issue, and Dick Johnston was knocked out for the season with a concussion. Tommy McCarthy was called up for the first time in May to help with the outfield depth, and he got off to a hot start. That was about the only positive in the month of May, though, as the Atlantics plugged six different players into the third outfield position with no success. Second baseman Al Myers also missed most of the month, and replacement Chippy McGarr was simply not able to fill Myers’ shoes.

The pitching staff was also hurt pretty severely in May. The bright spot was Ed Cushman evolving into the staff ace, giving up only one earned run all month en route to the National League “pitcher of the month” award. However, The Only Nolan followed Al Maul to the disabled list with a rotator cuff issue, and he would not return. Charlie Daniels became the number four starter, and he performed admirably despite the fact that he lacked the ability to go deep into games.

By the end of the month, the Boston Beaneaters had gained control of second place only two games behind Brooklyn. Brooklyn’s record on the month was 11-14 and were on a five game skid at the end of the month as they seemed to be spiraling out of control.

Brooklyn engaged in their first major trade on May 10, sending a bunch of late round picks from the inaugural draft over to Cincinnati. In the end, Brooklyn received relief pitcher John Firth while Cincinnati received Fergy Malone, Warren Write, John Peters, and Jim Holdwroth. Brooklyn went after Firth due to the injuries to Maul and Nolan in order to ensure depth in the bullpen.

June
The All Star break could not have come fast enough for Brooklyn. The Atlantics lost their first five games in June extending their losing streak to 10 games when the league broke for the All Star game. They had dropped to third place a game and a half behind Boston and a half game behind New York.

Brooklyn was well represented in the All Star Game. Oyster Burns was the National League’s leading vote getter, but with his return from the disabled list coinciding with the break, he and the Atlantics mutually agreed that it would be best for him to use the extra days off to get ready to get back into the lineup. Even without Burns; Dave Drew, Henry Potter, Ed Cushman, Charlie Daniels, and Frank Foreman still represented Brooklyn in the Mid-Summer Classic.

Here are the 1884 All Star Teams:

Returning from the break, Oyster Burns’ bat helped to light up the Brooklyn offense. They won three straight after the break which helped to get their record for the month up to 10.12, though they remained two games behind Boston. Brooklyn faced another setback at the end of the month when starting left fielder Conny Doyle broke his wrist. However, Brooklyn didn’t miss much of a beat because replacement Tommy McCormick played well enough to immediately win the starting job.

July
Starting first baseman Thomas Gordon went on the DL in the first week of the month due to back issues, and he would not return for the remainder of the season. It happened just as the Atlantics looked like they were going to get hot. They started the month at a .500 clip, going 5-5 before really turning on the afterburners.

Brooklyn met Boston for a three game set in mid-July with Brooklyn trailing by two games. Brooklyn put Boston down easily by scores of 9-3, 12-4, and 9-0. Brooklyn took a one game lead that they would not relinquish. Brooklyn finished the month at 15-10 with a one game lead in the National League. Oyster Burns won his second “rookie of the month” award while Henry Porter led Brooklyn’s dominant pitching staff by winning the “player of the month” and the “pitcher of the month” awards.

August
Brooklyn started the month of August with a 10 game winning streak which helped them to clinch the pennant. Finishing the month with a 12-3 record, Brooklyn ended up winning the National League by seven games.

American League Standings

National League Standings

American League Team Batting Leaders

National League Team Batting Leaders

American League Team Pitching Leaders

National League Team Pitching Leaders

American League Individual Batting Leaders

American League Individual Pitching Leaders

National League Individual Batting Leaders

National League Individual Pitching Leaders

Brooklyn Team Batting Stats

Brooklyn Team Pitching Stats

World Series
The American League Champion Baltimore Orioles met the National League Champion Brooklyn Atlantics in the 1884 Fall Classic. Batlimore’s lineup featured powerhouse hitting second baseman Fred Dunlap along with a stellar third baseman named Yank Robinson. Veteran first baseman Cap Anson and veteran center fielder Ned Hanlon rounded out an offense that led the American league with a .272 batting average and 39 home runs.

Baltimore’s pitching staff lacked much to be desired. Ace Charlie Buffington finished the year with a 15-7 record and a 2.20 ERA, but four different pitchers vied for the number two spot all season long. Baltimore’s ERA was tied for last in the American League with the Washington Nationals.

Brooklyn’s offense was middle of the pack, though they featured Oyster Burns who sported a .352 batting average in the regular season along with shortstop Dave Drew who led the National League with 5.1 WAR. The true beauty of this Atlantics team, though, was in the pitching staff. The staff ERA led the Majors by a wide margin at 1.91 behind the pitching of Ed Cushman, Henry Porter, Hugh Daily, and Charlie Daniels.

In game 1, Charlie Buffington hurled six scoreless innings en route to the only win Baltimore would receive in the post season. Brooklyn ended up sweeping the next four en route to the 1884 World Series Championship. Tommy McCarthy won the World Series MVP Award going 11 for 27 with 8 RBIs.

Awards

1884 First Year Player Draft
Brooklyn went into the 1884 draft with five total picks: One in the first round, two in the second round, and one each in the third and fourth rounds. Brooklyn went into the draft with two goals in mind. The first was to simply increase the depth of the pitching staff. The second revolved around the fact that when their starting center fielder Dick Johnston was hurt, the only person available who could play center field defensively was the backup catcher Harry Decker who hit .179 on the year. The Atlantics ended up drafting two center fielders and three pitchers with their five picks.

Offseason Moves
Brooklyn pulled the trigger on one move during the winter meetings, sending Second Baseman George Strief over to the St. Louis Browns for relief pitcher Fred Goldsmith. They also tried to make a proposal to boost their defense behind the plate by going after Cincinnati catcher Barney Gilligan. They also expressed interest in third baseman in Chicago White Sox third baseman Joe Mulvey and Cleveland center fielder Mike Slattery. With a mish-mash of names at both positions, though, Brooklyn wasn’t willing to offer anything solid until seeing how some of their roster situations would pan out.
Old 05-28-2017, 01:51 PM   #3
bjohn13
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Note to moderators:
Would it be possible to change the title of this thread to "Brooklyn Atlantics/Grays/Superbas/Robins/Dodgers: 1884-"?

Also, this thread might be more suited for the "Dynasty Reports" forum. If you agree, can you move the thread over to that forum?

I wasn't able to find a way to contact the moderators directly.
Old 06-01-2017, 10:37 PM   #4
bjohn13
Minors (Rookie Ball)

I have moved this simulation over to a blog. I think a simulation is better suited to a blog anyway. You can follow along by clicking on my blog to the left if you are interested. I'm through four seasons, but I've only written up two of them.