Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 16 > OOTP 16 - New to the Game?
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

OOTP 16 - New to the Game? If you have basic questions about the the latest version of our game, please come here!

Old 09-09-2015, 12:04 PM   #1
Willie M
Minors (Double A)

Training New Defensive Position

Is this still an option in these games? I know way back you used to be able to do off-season training.

I have a 19 year old in Rookie League with no rating for 2B, but I have put him there hoping he will learn. Is that all I can do?

Thanks!
Willie M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2015, 12:22 PM   #2
Bluenoser
Hall Of Famer

Hard to say without knowing anything about the player. A screen shot would help, but what are his current ratings, what is his current position, does he have any potential as a 2B now?
Bluenoser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2015, 06:44 PM   #3
RchW
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willie M View Post
Is this still an option in these games? I know way back you used to be able to do off-season training.

I have a 19 year old in Rookie League with no rating for 2B, but I have put him there hoping he will learn. Is that all I can do?

Thanks!
What positions does he have ratings for and what are his baseline defensive skills?

Is he moving with or against the defensive spectrum?

RichW

If you’re looking for a good cause to donate money to please consider a Donation to Parkinson’s Canada. It may help me have a better future and if not me, someone else. Thanks.

“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.” Frank Wilhoit
RchW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2015, 06:58 PM   #4
battists
Hall Of Famer

In addition to the questions above, though, in general, yes, it is possible to train a person to a new position. Generally, players progress at new positions most rapidly in spring training or in the minors. You're not going to make much progress playing him at a new position in the bigs during the season.
Old 09-10-2015, 10:20 AM   #5
monkeystyxx
Minors (Triple A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RchW View Post
What positions does he have ratings for and what are his baseline defensive skills?

Is he moving with or against the defensive spectrum?
Always wondered about this... do his actual ratings influence his ability to learn positions? For instance, would a guy with a good Outfield Arm rating learn Right Field quicker than a guy with only average Outfield Arm? Would a high Range guy learn Center Field quicker? Would a guy with high Turn DP learn 2B faster? That kind of thing.

Also, are 1B and LF easier to learn than SS and 2B, etc?

Are things like that simulated in the game?
monkeystyxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2015, 10:27 AM   #6
battists
Hall Of Famer

I don't believe that ratings affect the SPEED of learning new positions. However, ratings will definitely affect what rating value a player develops at that position. For example, if you take a weak armed, poor range fielder and put them at third, they will eventually get a rating there. But it isn't going to be pretty, whereas a player with the right physical tools will end up with a better rating at that position.
Old 09-10-2015, 10:34 AM   #7
Bluenoser
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by battists View Post
I don't believe that ratings affect the SPEED of learning new positions. However, ratings will definitely affect what rating value a player develops at that position. For example, if you take a weak armed, poor range fielder and put them at third, they will eventually get a rating there. But it isn't going to be pretty, whereas a player with the right physical tools will end up with a better rating at that position.
Sometimes they will.

Some players just won't learn a position at all, regardless of how long you play them there.

If you're trying to teach a new position to a player that has no ratings at all for that position, it's quite possible he will never learn it.

It's never a sure thing, even with minimal ratings a guy may never improve.
Bluenoser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 06:44 PM   #8
Willie M
Minors (Double A)

He had no ratings for 2B but had 7's/8's (1 to 10) across the board for SS. I put him at 2B and after a season he developed a rating for 2B and his rating at 2B is now a 2 or 3. So, work in progress.
Willie M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 08:36 PM   #9
RchW
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willie M View Post
He had no ratings for 2B but had 7's/8's (1 to 10) across the board for SS. I put him at 2B and after a season he developed a rating for 2B and his rating at 2B is now a 2 or 3. So, work in progress.
You still haven't answered the question. What positions does he have ratings for? Why not post a screen shot?

We can help you if you help us see the player.

RichW

If you’re looking for a good cause to donate money to please consider a Donation to Parkinson’s Canada. It may help me have a better future and if not me, someone else. Thanks.

“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.” Frank Wilhoit
RchW is offline   Reply With Quote