Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 16 > OOTP 16 - New to the Game?

OOTP 16 - New to the Game? If you have basic questions about the the latest version of our game, please come here!

Old 04-08-2015, 11:58 AM   #1
munas23
Bat Boy

Help with fictional leagues

Hi all, I have a few question about fictional leagues. I want to start my own and I have sort of a vision in mind yet need some question answered. I have found the knowledge thread useful (esp with HS and COL stuff) so far but have a few question I can't find answers too.

My vision
I'm going to end up doing an Australian league or Aus/NZ league or Southern Hemisphere or Oceania/Asia League. As you can tell not set in stone.

Moving teams from league to league
I want to start with all separate State leagues and after a few years or decades, create a National league by selecting some teams from those state leagues, bring their rosters with them.

Is there problems moving teams from one comp to another? Should I set up the state leagues reputation as 7 for example and the main one as 10. Will it be fine leaving their mirror league teams in their original leagues or do I need to create new leagues. Also when the Nation league starts technically the State leagues are Triple A level or would you see them as just another comp.
Hope that makes sense enough for someone to help?

How would drafting from feeders work after the switch? What would I have to edit. Would State leagues not have a draft system anymore? or could the college and high school system support both (if set up with enough schools) and the best kids would choose Nation and let overs would choose State. Could that work if i made the State draft day a month or so after National.

Does anyone have a checklist when starting a league?
For example:
- make sure you have the correct amount of feeders
- edit team colours and add logos etc
- setting up market size?
- other stuff?

Checklist for expanding the league?
- do you adjust any settings
- im guessing recounting if correct amount of feeder teams

Best way to check for errors?
When i'm simming my test league

Does it matter if a team isn't tied to a city?
I created a team based off a Melbourne (AU) suburb but it wasnt linked to a city in the setting section. Would this be a problem?

Does population have any effect on a team?
I think i read somewhere it didn't, only market size did. Could a team in a city with only 10,000 people get bigger crowds than that? This i spouse also relates to the question above

Thank you so much for your time reading and even more if you have some answers.
munas23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 02:22 PM   #2
Peregrine
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by munas23 View Post
Hi all, I have a few question about fictional leagues. I want to start my own and I have sort of a vision in mind yet need some question answered. I have found the knowledge thread useful (esp with HS and COL stuff) so far but have a few question I can't find answers too.

My vision
I'm going to end up doing an Australian league or Aus/NZ league or Southern Hemisphere or Oceania/Asia League. As you can tell not set in stone.

This isn't a problem - just have to play with the region settings when you set up the league if you want all or most of the players to come from that region.

Quote:
Moving teams from league to league
I want to start with all separate State leagues and after a few years or decades, create a National league by selecting some teams from those state leagues, bring their rosters with them.

Is there problems moving teams from one comp to another? Should I set up the state leagues reputation as 7 for example and the main one as 10. Will it be fine leaving their mirror league teams in their original leagues or do I need to create new leagues. Also when the Nation league starts technically the State leagues are Triple A level or would you see them as just another comp.
Hope that makes sense enough for someone to help?

How would drafting from feeders work after the switch? What would I have to edit. Would State leagues not have a draft system anymore? or could the college and high school system support both (if set up with enough schools) and the best kids would choose Nation and let overs would choose State. Could that work if i made the State draft day a month or so after National.

As far as moving teams from league to league, it's quite easy. You should be able to move teams to the new league once it is created. In terms of having multiple leagues operating at once, I find it easier to manipulate their reputation as you mentioned - if you want the state leagues to have a lower level of talent once the national league is in, you will likely want to adjust their financials so salaries are lower, and maybe their player creation modifiers. You will have to re-do the minor leagues a bit but that's not too hard.

Personally I don't use feeders so I can't speak to that. There are people who do use feeders on the boards but they're not super common because they add to the sim time quite a bit, without giving you much back in return (except additional history for your players.)

Quote:
Does anyone have a checklist when starting a league?
For example:
- make sure you have the correct amount of feeders
- edit team colours and add logos etc
- setting up market size?
- other stuff?
Team colors and logos are not a concern if you use the Nickname Project - can find it in Add-ons central. Basically it will change the default team nickname list but will automatically set up logos and appropriate colors for the teams with those nicknames. If you want to use nicknames not in the list you will have to set it up manually. I usually don't edit market size too much unless it's really out of whack. For me what's important is the options and rules - does the league have the DH, what about trading rules, etc. I go through Game Settings - League Settings and carefully go over each tab.

Quote:
Checklist for expanding the league?
- do you adjust any settings
- im guessing recounting if correct amount of feeder teams

Best way to check for errors?
When i'm simming my test league
Expansion is pretty well built into the game - just do it from League Settings-Functions and it will set up the draft, etc. With feeders you would probably have to do some additional work.

Quote:
Does it matter if a team isn't tied to a city?
I created a team based off a Melbourne (AU) suburb but it wasnt linked to a city in the setting section. Would this be a problem?

Does population have any effect on a team?
I think i read somewhere it didn't, only market size did. Could a team in a city with only 10,000 people get bigger crowds than that? This i spouse also relates to the question above

Thank you so much for your time reading and even more if you have some answers.
You should be fine to have a team from anywhere - I've had teams from some small towns and they seemed to draw normal crowds as long as the market size was set ok - someone can probably confirm this.
Peregrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2015, 09:48 PM   #3
munas23
Bat Boy

Thanks Peregrine,

I tried mucking around with somethings and it seems i loss my feeder system when adding separate leagues or joining the separate league to the parents. I know you can help with this but hoping someone else can

Also is it possible to add a league without any teams? Would a template be the key to this

Is it possible to run a league with no teams. I'm thinking the only way to make my system work is to have all the State teams as AAA and then promote a few to the Majors as I do my creation/expansion of my national comp. I've tried doing this by adding the Major league later and it doesn't seem to work (it loses all feeders). When I run the Major league from the start with no teams it just disappeared

Hope someone can help
Thanks
Old 04-16-2015, 12:44 AM   #4
munas23
Bat Boy

One new question.

I've being playing around with set ups and simming into the future. Every now and then I get an error that a side has too many players.

Happened year one going into playoffs, changed squad size to 40 and this problem has disappeared so far. Is this the correct thing to do, is it normal?

Happened year 2 after spring training, had over 60 players, i just deleted them, is there a solution to stop this coming up again
Old 04-16-2015, 10:02 PM   #5
NYY #23
Hall Of Famer

I'll try and answer some of your questions. If I miss something, let me know.

"I've being playing around with set ups and simming into the future. Every now and then I get an error that a side has too many players.

Happened year one going into playoffs, changed squad size to 40 and this problem has disappeared so far. Is this the correct thing to do, is it normal?

Happened year 2 after spring training, had over 60 players, i just deleted them, is there a solution to stop this coming up again"

I haven't run into this before, usually I have the opposite problem if there aren't enough players. I'd check the settings on the Rules tab just to make sure you don't have anything conflicting, along with the Spring Training Options, like Spring Training overlapping with the regular season, the roster expansion date, and things like that. I always like to make sure that the reserve roster is unlimited (or roster size for the lowest level of minors), that has given me headaches and done strange and unexpected things. That's a little vague, but I don't think it's a normal error, at least from my experience.

I wish I could help you with feeders, but I've never had much success getting things to work like I've wanted, and just go with either a draft, or having fictional players created as free agents. I'd agree with what Peregrine said, they don't offer enough for me, and add time to the sim.

To add to moving teams, this is definitely possible, and easy to do. I always put together a checklist when I do that, because what I've found best is to make the changes the first day of the offseason. The thing that you can't forget though is to make the changes to the schedule, which I'll do in pre-season. If free agents are able to sign with any league you'll want to give them the whole offseason, and league reputation works well with that plus lowered financials.

As someone who has done the set-up with multiple leagues, I've tried to map it out in a spreadsheet with the leagues, levels, number of teams, relationship between the leagues so I could plug in the totals for the top level league and for example use 50% for the lower level leagues. I always like to try and get that set-up and test with the right number of teams, not worrying about names, logos, etc. Then I'll save it as a template so I can go back to the starting point before doing testing.

Good luck, and hopefully you'll find something that works for you.
NYY #23 is offline   Reply With Quote