Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Franchise Hockey Manager > FHM - Public Beta Test

Old 03-12-2013, 10:21 PM   #1
cannons
Bat Boy

Few Items/Thoughts

Few points on interface... ease of use and opinion stuff, don't know how many of these are viable, and probably some are already possible but I'm not familiar enough with the GUI but here goes:

- The biggest is that the game badly needs a feature where you can just do general player searches like in football manager. You could see all the players you have scouted/played against, and potentially filter by league and attribute. It is damned cumbersome for example to try to figure out who is a RW worth trading for at the trade deadline in your league.

If you need to set lines manually, it would be nice if:
- you drag a player into a new slot the existing player switches places, right now you need to go back up to the list and then drag down the new player as well, two actions where there could potentially be one
- you could lock lines. if you want your fourth line to always include certain players but would like to auto set the other lines for instance.

- This could be an oversight on my part - Scouting report summary listings. I get news items on them, but then I can't find a list of the players I've scouted anywhere.

- training - could there be a training screen or some way of seeing who is training what? I can set the primary and secondary training in the player menu but I don't know if it is already set by default, or if I need to select it for each player. Also I don't know how to see if they are actually improving or not? It is kind of a random feature I don't know if/how it works.

- finances - I just plain don't understand the financial model. Financial statements are pretty standard across any industry/management game - Revenue listing, total, Expense listing, total, Net. The revenue and expense listings are totally separate and don't seem to have any relationship to one another.

- whl (chl) - if you have a player listed but don't have ice time for him, there has got to be a way to send them to affiliates/lower leagues like in real life. You can maybe send a player down to Junior B but retain his rights?

My two cents. Am enjoying the game more since the new release, ease of playing has improved and it is fun. Big thanks to the developers for giving us the opportunity to play a hockey manager again.

Last edited by cannons; 03-12-2013 at 10:23 PM.
Old 03-13-2013, 08:50 AM   #2
Sebmono
Minors (Single A)

I agree with all said above and would like to add a couple other items:
- with setting lines, would be great to be able to save lines so that after making adjustments due to injuries, for example, it would be easier to put things back where you had them originally.

- related to roster management, when I allow the assistant coach to promote/demote players in order to set lineups and keep the roster going, he also puts players on the trading list. I think this should be removed and made part of the option to allow assistants to handle trading. Annoying as hell when the assistant keeps trying to trade list guys when all you want him to do is manage through injuries, etc.

- Could we change the "back" arrow button so that it takes us to the previous screen and not just the previous thing we were looking at? For instance when I click on a player card from the lineup overview and then flip to Ratings, then Contract, then back to Ratings, and then to Career Stats, I want to be able to just go right back to the lineup overview in one click without having to cycle back through all the parts of the player card I had been looking at. I know I could just go to the top right and click on the team and then lineup overview, but that's A) wasted clicks and B) not always straightforward since I'm not always entirely sure what screen I was on before going into the player card.

- With tactics it would be very nice if we could copy and paste sets of tactics to different lines and situations instead of having to edit each and every one manually. I know this option already exists (or at least used to) in OOTP, would be great to have that here as well.

- On the same tactics note, I think the entries need some tweaking/explaining. The main one that comes to mind is the choice between shoot and pass. I think this should be made into more of a possession tactic along the lines of dump'n'chase versus carry the puck. The question of shot generation should be related to the offensive versus defensive approach. I'm also unclear as to what the settings on forecheck imply, does having an aggressive forecheck mean my backcheck is also aggressive or less so (i.e. is this a tradeoff)? In general I think fleshing out the tactics section would be super valuable, particularly if there can be feedback implemented along the lines of "the aggressive forecheck you are using is resulting in a large number of odd-man rushes against us, our players may not be suited for this" or "our players can't seem to handle carrying the puck through the neutral zone as much as you would like, we should switch to more dump'n'chase or get better puckhandlers". This kind of feedback would be fantastic!

Those are my two cents for now, overall though absolutely loving the game and having a blast! Can't wait for September to see what the final product turns out as and I look forward to see how things develop along the way!
Old 03-13-2013, 09:45 AM   #3
CeeBee
Minors (Double A)

On a related note to the back arrow:
When I am on for example the Free Agent list, which is quite long it would be real nice if when I click on a player to look at his profile and then click the back arrow it would take me to the same place on the list that I left, not the start of the list.
Old 03-13-2013, 10:29 AM   #4
Alessandro
Hall Of Famer

Some good suggestions here, I will make sure that Sebastian will have a look (even if I'm sure he would on his own)
Old 03-13-2013, 11:55 AM   #5
jayze302
Minors (Double A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alessandro View Post
Some good suggestions here, I will make sure that Sebastian will have a look (even if I'm sure he would on his own)
Talking about interface, is there a plan to add the sidebar ribbon that OOTP uses? I love that one click usability that adds instead of having to make the extra click without it.
Old 03-13-2013, 03:41 PM   #6
drewst18
Minors (Double A)

I don't want to be that guy, and didn't want to clutter board with small requests so I was looking for a feature type post and this was first one I found and had same request.

With the injuries as they are, the edit lines thing is the number one thing for me right now. When you put a player from line 2 onto line 1, it should swap that player from line 1 back on to line 2. It seems small, and sorry to post something so small early in the development phase.
Old 03-13-2013, 04:58 PM   #7
Sebmono
Minors (Single A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CeeBee View Post
On a related note to the back arrow:
When I am on for example the Free Agent list, which is quite long it would be real nice if when I click on a player to look at his profile and then click the back arrow it would take me to the same place on the list that I left, not the start of the list.
This and...

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewst18 View Post
With the injuries as they are, the edit lines thing is the number one thing for me right now. When you put a player from line 2 onto line 1, it should swap that player from line 1 back on to line 2. It seems small, and sorry to post something so small early in the development phase.
..this, both great suggestions I support.
Old 03-13-2013, 11:19 PM   #8
cannons
Bat Boy

Back arrow saving lines and explanation of tactics would all be great. Glad to see there is some agreement, hopefully all of our feedback is valuable and constructive and not overwhelming and irritating