Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Earlier versions of Out of the Park Baseball > Earlier versions of OOTP: General Discussions
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Earlier versions of OOTP: General Discussions General chat about the game...

Old 01-31-2013, 12:19 PM   #1
Zarberg
Minors (Double A)

How Realistic Are the in-game Cities?

I have a question about the in-game cities. I know there's an XML file that's used with each new game that contains a city name, its population, and it's real-world latitude and longitude coordinates. Are these coordinates used to determine fan base that may conflict with geographically close other cities?

I.E. if I started a game that had a Manhattan, NY based team and later added a Brooklyn, NY based team, would those two compete for fans because of their latitude and longitude?

https://www.big-baseball.org/
Zarberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 12:32 PM   #2
Bluenoser
Hall Of Famer

No, lat & lon are there to determine placement of teams, like east/west division/conference.

Here's the quote from Andreas:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andreas Raht View Post
Longitude and latitude of cities are used in OOTP when you create a league. The divisions will be named northern, southern, eastern, western or central divisions and the teams will be assigned to the proper divisions depending on their geographical position.

Last edited by Bluenoser; 01-31-2013 at 12:35 PM.
Bluenoser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 01:51 PM   #3
Charlie Hough
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zarberg View Post
I.E. if I started a game that had a Manhattan, NY based team and later added a Brooklyn, NY based team, would those two compete for fans because of their latitude and longitude?
No. Market sizes and fan bases are not based on geography in OOTP. They're based on the size of team payrolls and other factors like fan interest.

OOTP's financial system is not sophisticated enough to model something like you're suggesting.
Charlie Hough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 01:54 PM   #4
GMLoophole
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie Hough View Post
No. Market sizes and fan bases are not based on geography in OOTP. They're based on the size of team payrolls and other factors like fan interest.
Wait, really? I thought it was the opposite, that market size/loyalty drove the fan interest. If it's the other way around, I've been setting up my leagues wrong I think.
GMLoophole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 02:40 PM   #5
Cinnamon J. Scudworth
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMLoophole View Post
Wait, really? I thought it was the opposite, that market size/loyalty drove the fan interest. If it's the other way around, I've been setting up my leagues wrong I think.
I think they all interact to an extent. Fan interest drives attendance and merchandise revenue, and over long periods of time can also impact market size. Fluctuations in fan interest depend mostly on how well your team is performing on the field and player transactions, modified by fan loyalty.
"Sometimes, this is like going to a grocery store. You’ve got a list until you get to the check-out stand. And then you start reading People magazine, and all this other [stuff] ends up in the basket."

-Sandy Alderson on the MLB offseason
Cinnamon J. Scudworth is offline   Reply With Quote