Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Franchise Hockey Manager 3 > Franchise Hockey Manager 3 - General Discussion

Franchise Hockey Manager 3 - General Discussion Talk about our latest hockey manager game, officially licensed by the NHL!

Old 12-08-2016, 08:08 PM   #1
DBAHO
Bat Boy

Best Tactics to use on Offense and Defense

Hello,

Curious to know what other people have found with the new Tactical System, and what Tactics they've had the most success with so far.

For instance, the Puck Control on Offense and the Neutral Zone Trap on Defense are probably the Generic most used Tactics. I was .500 with Winnipeg halfway through a 1st season using those 2.

Have people had success with these 2, or with a mixture of something else instead?
DBAHO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2016, 12:06 PM   #2
dhendricks71
Minors (Rookie Ball)

I use Dump and Chase and Quite Intimidating as my two. I build my teams to have semi fast aggrsive forwards and Big Mean Defensmen.
dhendricks71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2016, 03:54 AM   #3
DFyvie
Major Leagues

I use a variety of tactics. I guess it depends on your team (obviously) and your organisational philosophy.

I have in the past gone with Puck Control/Half Ice Overload. The idea behind this was to be smart with the puck and aggressive without it. Having the puck and not willing to give it up whilst denying your opposition time/space/position when they have the puck was my 'philosophy'. I didn't really have the team to implement it very well as my best forwards lacked the size needed to battle thru the one-on-one battles. The Half-Ice Overload is a great defensive system as it generates a lot of blocked shots and turnovers but the Blackhawks ripped me a new bum-hole with it as they had no problem using quick passes to expose its aggressiveness and burn me for 8 goals one night.

I have had success with Cycling/2-3 System. Cycling rewarded my quick forwards with lots of shooting lanes resulting in more shots on net. The 2-3 System is really basic and versatile. As long as you have a good back-checking forward on every line.

I find the Neutral Zone Trap way too passive for my liking. I hate giving my opponent any time or space with the puck. I would much rather have an aggressive system that denies them any luxury.

As far as Special Teams I do like the Umbrella powerplay as it has a more 'shooting' bias. The PK system I like to use is the 0-4 forecheck as it is quite good at disrupting the opponent's ability to set up through the Neutral Zone. I am experimenting with the Wedge system as it is a bit more aggressive and attempts to keep the opposition on their toes with respect to a counter-attack.

Systems I would like to use: The Tarasov System. The Brooks System. Stretching the D. Flexible Triangle. Midlane Backcheck. Hound the Puck. If I ever have a team that I think would fit these systems I would use them.

Stay away from: Activated D. I gave this a try early and got burned badly. I gave up a lot of goals on the counter-attack (especially in the rush).
DFyvie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2016, 04:40 AM   #4
DFyvie
Major Leagues

One thing I find very handy when deciding on what tactic to use, is to look a the characteristics of each tactic.

Offensive Zone Entry
Shoot/Pass Bias

Physical Instructions
Forechecking

These really give a good idea at the type of behaviour your team will exhibit. I'm always leaning more for shots on net and an aggressive defensive approach. I don't want to give my opponent any luxuries that I want when I have the puck (time and space).

All in all, the Tactics system in this version adds such a wonderful element to the game.
Old 12-12-2016, 09:54 AM   #5
redtiger7
All Star Starter

Do the older tactics like Tarasov, Brooks, even work? From teh sound of the description given they sound like they wouldn't when going up against the modern tactics the AI would use.
redtiger7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2016, 10:29 AM   #6
DFyvie
Major Leagues

Quote:
Originally Posted by redtiger7 View Post
Do the older tactics like Tarasov, Brooks, even work? From teh sound of the description given they sound like they wouldn't when going up against the modern tactics the AI would use.
I think they would.. it's the Stay in Your Lanes! and Conservative Traditional that I would worry about.

I assume the Tarasov System is probably still more versatile/complex than a lot of today's basic systems. Of course, for Tarasov to work well you probably need a stacked team that lives/eats/sleeps together as a unit (like the Red Army team).

I was under the impression that the Brooks System tied Flexible Triangle and Cycling together.. hence spawning those two systems.