Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 17 > OOTP 17 - Online Leagues

OOTP 17 - Online Leagues Want to create or join an OOTP 17 online league? This is the right forum for you.

Old 04-11-2016, 12:00 AM   #21
baseballonly
All Star Reserve

Overall ratings are crap. No reason to ever look at them unless you're SERIOUSLY short on time.
baseballonly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016, 01:53 PM   #22
cgml28
Bat Boy

Lets get this league started

seems like we have enough interested peeps to get this going!
cgml28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2016, 03:24 PM   #23
diamondking9
Bat Boy

Yeah, I'd be down with a league like this. Been in an OOTP17 league for a week or two that started out great, but now everyone's going nuts and it's become completely absurd. Not to mention the guys that send you 5 crappy trade offers a day, and obviously do that to the whole league until someone makes a terrible trade.

I'd love a league full of GMs that actually want to run a franchise in some semblance of how real-life teams go about their work. 2/3 trades an offseason would be busy for most teams - a lotta OOTP guys think of 2/3 trades as a slow week...
diamondking9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2016, 04:30 PM   #24
waltwa
All Star Reserve

Trading is good for a league because it indicates interest. ask yourself why it doesn't happen more in real mlb and its because gm's don't want to get ripped off so therefore even trades are the rule. not to mention in real baseball u can't destroy teams for 3-4 years to rebuild

what often happens is a gm comes in and totally revamps a team and then if it doesn't work out they are gone. who wants to be the new gm if u r limited in revamping your team.

1. stats only league.
2. salary cap
3. trade committee
4. draft pick trading but restricted to a specific amount
what often bothers me is that multiple gm's assist in rebuilding a powerhouse and often its in their same division. it might be a good idea to chart a teams trades so gm's can see what is happening. if I am sf and la is rebuilding and I notice they have 5 1st rders in the upcoming draft I would like other gm's to take notice and realize they are building a powerhouse that will also be defeating them down the road.

the bottom line tho is that in online leagues trading is activity and activity is good if controlled.
waltwa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2016, 06:37 PM   #25
JDavidAdams
Bat Boy

I'd be in on this. I'm not a fan of not being able to trade for a whole year, but with a good salary cap system, I think that problem mends itself. Also, I think a competent Commish (or a panel) could reserve the right to veto any lopsided trade to maintain balance.
JDavidAdams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2016, 10:03 PM   #26
diamondking9
Bat Boy

Activity just for activity's sake doesn't necessarily mean sustained interest though, it just means some dude has way too much time on his hands and is ADHD. Also might mean he's spamming the whole league with crappy trade requests hoping to find a sucker. That's how league imbalance comes around - tweaker OOTP vets offer sucker deals to n00bs and build a powerhouse.

I can get into spending 45 minutes at night going through my minors checking out development, coming up with long-term strategy, etc. Some of these guys literally have nothing better to do then pm/im people and turn their roster over twice a season. My favorite is the guy who talks like a stockbroker about assets and value while making 15 trades before June 1 in the first season.

I got lucky and have had my favorite team in the long-term leagues I've been in, and I understand that's why I'm more content to take the 5-year plan view - but I would literally pay money to be in a league that some how disincentivized the mass player movement that takes place in the first couple weeks of a modern roster online league.
diamondking9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2016, 05:40 PM   #27
nebradska
Minors (Triple A)

Ageist garbage. Don't allow people older than 50 in your league because they are statistically likely to have begun developing memory deficiencies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Painmantle View Post
pretty simple solution, just don't let anyone under 30 years old into your league

This has long been a pet peeve of mine, The problem as I see it is way too many people, Especially younger people (and I defined "Younger' in my opening remarks) Confuse trading with activity. I would much rather be in a league with a group of GM's who run their team realistically and with purpose than with a bunch of people who write stories, are involved in chat rooms, posting on the forum all the time etc.... Trading should be a necessary evil, not a recreational activity imho

In general, The younger crowd gets into an online league to enhance their social life, the older crowd plays OOTP because they love it, but they actually have a life to live outside the game. So they get the files, check them out export and get on with their day. Trades are an afterthought, they are based on need,not "being active"

I run a league with very little turn over that's at the WS 1990 (Started in 1975) and there was a grand total of 6 Trades made last season that involved 17 players. 80% of my GM's are over 30 yr old and 16 are the original GM's (26 team League) So in 16 Seasons covering 2 years and 2 months real time, we've turned over only 10 teams and only had 101 Trades in 16 seasons (a little over 6 per year). Maturity of the GM base has everything to do with how many trades happen in a league

Please note: Nothing was said to offend anyone, there are always exceptions to the rule, but this is based on my experience over scores if not hundreds of online league seasons in many different leagues over several real years
nebradska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2016, 07:42 PM   #28
waltwa
All Star Reserve

is the job of a gm to limit the amount of trades they make? t seems to me that you make trades and study the draft in order to develop a good team.

is a good gm one that never makes trades and simply fills out a lineup. that doesn't make sense. of course online baseball can be a hit and run deal since gm's are not signing contracts for big money.

its impossible to set out a call for intelligent gm's. come up with some rules that tend to equalize the league such as a salary cap and a trade committee for starters and then hope for a challenging league.

as a gm I watch other extremely successful teams and if possible avoid doing business with them. I am not going to help build another teams dynasty.

worrying about limiting trades seems to me to be worrying about gm's wanting to win and trying to create less activity.

by the way I am always in 5 leagues and presently in3 really well run leagues and I have rarely made trades in any of the 5.
waltwa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2016, 01:36 PM   #29
jrainor
Minors (Single A)

I would be very interested in joining a new league! I am a long time fan of this series and have owned every version of this game! please hit me up at jasen.allen@yahoo.com
jrainor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2016, 03:05 PM   #30
JDavidAdams
Bat Boy

I agree that a salary cap solves this issue... Eventually, you can trade yourself into a hole with a cap. I'd be all over a league like this.
JDavidAdams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2016, 03:04 PM   #31
Oriolesfan6
Bat Boy

This league sounds interesting
Oriolesfan6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 02:41 PM   #32
markvacc1
Minors (Single A)

Howdy,

I'm new here and just browsing the forums and was interested in this thread. I have only tried OOTP demo a couple years ago and am about to purchase OOTP17 in a few minutes.

I was wondering what year you would be starting this league? As far as the trading, does OOTP17 have something like an alternate reality like in Puresim BB? I found that to be pretty cool knowing you have real players and you know who the power hitters were, the average hitters, base stealers etc. You draft and trade accordingly, but with alternate reality, there is no guarantee your power guy will hit a lot of HRs or he may hit more than expected with a high average to boot. It doesn't get too crazy, but you work any trades usually going more by performance than by ratings because in Alternate reality, they may not match. One doesn't know if a player had a hot April like a lot do and then fall back to Earth or only slightly come down.

Anyway, again, would it be starting in 1980 for example and I assume you start with a team or do you throw all in and do a draft of real players from that year and then go from there?
markvacc1 is offline   Reply With Quote