Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Out of the Park Baseball 21 > OOTP 21 - General Discussions
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

OOTP 21 - General Discussions Everything about the brand new version of Out of the Park Baseball - officially licensed by MLB and the MLBPA.

Old 02-02-2023, 07:48 AM   #1
LuScorpio68
Minors (Rookie Ball)

How to react to an insanely low BABIP ?

Hey guys,

In the past, I've faced guys who had a season with a low BABIP, but never this bad. In my Mariners save in the 2025 season, I had a 32 year old shortstop whose BABIP was at .196 over 444 plate appearances which led to a triple slash of .195/.250/.407 slugging for a 74 OPS+ but still 45 XBH (25 doubles, 20 home runs). He has had declining contact rating (40 vs righties, 45 vs left) and his a flyball and pull hitter, but still with decent power numbers and defense. He had a low babip already the year before (.220) but it was due to a long cold spell in the second half of the season.

I don't really know how to react because I feel like he can't have a BABIP this low again but he probably won't be a 115 OPS+ guy like he was in the first couple of years. He had two years left on his contract (around 10 millions) and I'm hesitant to trade him because he is very popular locally (former WS MVP) and he could bounce back still. What should I do ?

I tried to attach a screenshot of his stats for help.
Attached Images
LuScorpio68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2023, 09:05 AM   #2
Rain King
Hall Of Famer

BABIP for hitters is skill-based (not mostly luck like pitchers).

So, this player appears to be in real decline especially with 2 consecutive years of poor BABIP. I don't see them as a likely bounce-back candidate at this point.
Rain King is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2023, 02:17 PM   #3
mytreds
All Star Reserve

1)Stats like BABIP requires hundreds, if not thousands of ABs to give us a proper gauge of the stat

2)Players don’t stay in the same conditions required to make thousands of ABs possible over the course of their career

Thus don’t worry about BABIP too much, imo. Use harder stats for better judgements. Your player’s ratings are poor and getting worse. It happens, and if OOTP does one thing we’ll, it’s simulating hot/cold seasons and rapidly declining players.

“Once, centuries ago, it was the beloved national pastime of the Americas, Wesley. Abandoned by a society that prized fast food and faster games. Lost to impatience.”

“ The term ‘WAR’ should be replaced by ‘WAG’. WAR isn’t an actual measurement; it’s just a wild-ass guess” -Bill James

RIP National League 1876-2022

I make custom ballparks.
mytreds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2023, 06:26 PM   #4
LuScorpio68
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mytreds View Post
1)Stats like BABIP requires hundreds, if not thousands of ABs to give us a proper gauge of the stat

2)Players don’t stay in the same conditions required to make thousands of ABs possible over the course of their career

Thus don’t worry about BABIP too much, imo. Use harder stats for better judgements. Your player’s ratings are poor and getting worse. It happens, and if OOTP does one thing we’ll, it’s simulating hot/cold seasons and rapidly declining players.
You ended up being right. As I cruised to win the 2026 World Series (thankfully, because my contending window is nearing its end), Nakashima rapidly ended up out of the middle infield rotation, with ended up as Noelvi Marte at 2B and a rookie SS vs righties and Justin Foscue at 2B and Noelvi Marte at SS vs lefties. Surprisingly, he didn't decline the demotion to AAA, where he continued to struggle. Thankfully, he just has one year left on his deal as he has a team option after the next season so he'll likely get cut or traded not to take playing time away from my young prospects.
LuScorpio68 is offline   Reply With Quote