Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 20 > Perfect Team
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Perfect Team Perfect Team 2.0 - The online revolution continues! Battle thousands of PT managers from all over the world and become a legend.

Old 08-09-2019, 06:04 PM   #1
Fenixdown
Minors (Double A)

My FTP team is now more fun than my pay team

So, so far in PT '20 I've spent I think $100 on one team. It has no silvers and I think 6-7 diamonds, none of them impressive. It's been stuck in Gold league for awhile. About 5 seasons in or so, I made a FTP team that got some pretty decent players, nobody lower than silver at one point, but nothing impressive. Until collection missions, where my first FTP missions standard pack pulled me a 97 OVR Charlie Gehringer.

I saw it's max buyout all-time was 65k, so after each season ended for me I'd list it on the AH for 60k min/70k buy now. After the fifth time listing it, it finally sold for the 60k! So, I decided I'd try to play the lottery (60k isn't gonna get me junk, anyway) and bought 60 standard packs witht hat plus my remaining PP. And then in those packs, I pulled a 98 OVR Ron Guidry! So, I flipped that one for 80k and bought 80 more packs! And this ended up being the end result after 140 packs.

1 live perfect (DeGrom)
5 diamond pitchers (Verlander, Cole, Corbin, Kluber, & 91 OVR Don Newcombe)
Juan Soto

So now I'm actually doing collection hunting on my team that hasn't spent a single dime and I barely even check on my team that I actually spent some money on. So far, I've completed the Live Tigers, am 4 Marlins away from live completion, and about 6-8 Orioles from that. I have over 70% of the live Angels, but I'll never have Trout so I'm not even bothering. I'm thinking of doing the live Rangers only because they're my favorite team (but the reward for 2 diamond players + the rest is just....blegh), and I'm keeping an eye on the price of Ching Ming Wang for that mission since he's all I'm missing (just like everybody else). And my team is actually hanging around in my division, to boot!

To be honest, this has encouraged me next year to spend $100 on two teams, buying nothing but 175 packs with one and the other making a Rangers theme team (which I did in '19, and it actually made it to Perfect level for a time). But I just wanted to share because I'm just excited that I actually have a team that isn't complete trash anymore.
Fenixdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2019, 06:53 PM   #2
HRBaker
Hall Of Famer

Lots of ways to play this game. Have fun

HRBaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2019, 08:53 PM   #3
Maxfire5
Minors (Double A)

Glad you've found something that's made it fun. A number of ways to play, it's all about fun. I've thoroughly enjoyed both teams being F2P. I started one team day 1, and then recently created a Kansas City theme team. Both are fun in their own regards.

My main team has won a couple diamond leagues but never had much success in perfect (to be expected, when I'm F2P). Really feel that diamond leagues is where I'm most competitive and fun atm. Also enjoyed playing the league created in the thread about stuck in the perfect doldrums playing against a number of other F2P, NF2P, or OL teams.

Theme team has also been fun using some KC greats. Ended up modifying it now to include anybody who has played for a KC team or from the KC area.

All about finding what makes it fun for you so you stay with it.

F2P Pack Only Team

F2P Missouri Theme Team
Maxfire5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2019, 08:07 AM   #4
Dogberry99
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxfire5 View Post
Theme team has also been fun using some KC greats. Ended up modifying it now to include anybody who has played for a KC team or from the KC area.
It is kind of a shame that the A's are only represented by 5 cards. I know they were little more than the AAA team for the Yankees during their short 13 year stay, but 5 still seems a touch low.

Primary Team

Collection Rewards (Cards & Packs) F2P Theme Team

Movers F2P Theme and Adam Schlesinger Memorial Team
Dogberry99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2019, 05:10 PM   #5
Bunktown Ballers
All Star Starter

Infractions: 0/1 (2)
Next Version Of PT

With next years release of PT 21 I no doubt will play only with cards I start off with and cards I earn & buy through AH. Ive been spending money the 1st 2 versions, won a couple of Championships. But it seems like every leagues im in there are 2-3 Whale teams that just smash through the season and playoffs. Last year I played a team in playoffs with every player a Perfect Card...Results were predictable & in was a silver league. He was averaging 120 wins through 10 seasons he had been involved in.

The one thing I wish would happen is that STARTERS can't be moved to Relief roles. Hard to beat a team with Perfect Cards Starters being used to fill out bullpen. Cy Young 100 as closer...It'll never happen bc it'll cut into PT profit.
Bunktown Ballers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2019, 09:22 PM   #6
Ty Cobb
Hall Of Famer

But then...what about guys like Eck, who began as a pretty good starter, and ended as a heck of a closer?
It is usually futile to try to talk facts and analysis to people who are enjoying a sense of moral superiority in their ignorance.—Thomas Sowell
"Alinsky works for me now."
Ty Cobb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2019, 09:29 PM   #7
Maxfire5
Minors (Double A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ty Cobb View Post
But then...what about guys like Eck, who began as a pretty good starter, and ended as a heck of a closer?
Or someone like Wade Davis, who was a less than ideal starter, but was insane as a reliever/closer in 14/15.

F2P Pack Only Team

F2P Missouri Theme Team
Maxfire5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2019, 09:31 PM   #8
Mammoth_Mayhem
Minors (Single A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunktown Ballers View Post
The one thing I wish would happen is that STARTERS can't be moved to Relief roles. Hard to beat a team with Perfect Cards Starters being used to fill out bullpen. Cy Young 100 as closer...It'll never happen bc it'll cut into PT profit.
What about the newfound strategy of using traditional relievers as "openers," while starters are pushed into the bullpen and pitch 3+ innings in relief?

While I see where you are coming from, using starters in the bullpen is just another form of strategy that some managers like to use.
Mammoth_Mayhem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2019, 09:47 PM   #9
OMGPuppies
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mammoth_Mayhem View Post
What about the newfound strategy of using traditional relievers as "openers," while starters are pushed into the bullpen and pitch 3+ innings in relief?

While I see where you are coming from, using starters in the bullpen is just another form of strategy that some managers like to use.
mammoth mayhem has a killer offense

OMGPuppies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2019, 10:43 AM   #10
stl jason
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

which would basically make my team impossible to field.... pre-1945 there are only 13 pitchers in the original card list tagged as RP or CL, (only Wilcy Moore is Diamond rated at 93) with the other 12 at an OVR range between 40 and 75.... not sure a bullpen reliant on Pretzel Pezzullo, Ace Adams, Joe Pate and Frank Gabler is going to cut it in the higher tiers.
stl jason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2019, 04:41 PM   #11
chazzycat
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mammoth_Mayhem View Post
using starters in the bullpen is just another form of strategy that some managers like to use.
This is true, but at the same time, I feel like it's definitely an advantage for money spending teams. Putting at least one or two SP in your bullpen is probably ideal in terms of overall results, but not really in terms of getting the most WAR per PP spent.

In other words, paying full SP prices, just to pitch less than half the number of innings compared to an SP, is a luxury which FTP teams can rarely afford.
chazzycat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2019, 05:41 PM   #12
Dogberry99
All Star Starter

Rather than locking pitchers into roles they filled, I'd rather see position players get tied to specific positions they actually played.

Primary Team

Collection Rewards (Cards & Packs) F2P Theme Team

Movers F2P Theme and Adam Schlesinger Memorial Team
Dogberry99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2019, 12:27 PM   #13
daves
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

Nolan Ryan was on record stating that he could not play out of the bullpen. He needed too much time to warm up for a game that he could not pitch on a moments notice.

There should be separate stamina ratings when a starters goes to the pen and vica versa.

Last edited by daves; 08-14-2019 at 01:23 PM.
daves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2019, 12:51 PM   #14
Ty Cobb
Hall Of Famer

Worthy suggestion. They do already adjust Stuff when going from SP to RP...so why not?
It is usually futile to try to talk facts and analysis to people who are enjoying a sense of moral superiority in their ignorance.—Thomas Sowell
"Alinsky works for me now."
Ty Cobb is offline   Reply With Quote