Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 19 > OOTP 19 - New to the Game?

OOTP 19 - New to the Game? If you have basic questions about the the latest version of our game, please come here!

Old 01-14-2019, 05:59 PM   #1
Gruber_Tagged_Him
Minors (Triple A)

Clearly I don't understand "Stamina"

(Newbie here, but man am I having fun into the 3rd year of my first go-round...)

I assumed that a pitcher's stamina was an absolute thing. So in essence the higher the stamina the more pitches they could throw at any given time, no matter whether they were throwing as a starter or in relief. Based upon the very low stamina starter (35, I'm still using 20-80) that I just ran across, though, and looking at his Game Logs, I am quite suspicious that this is not the case.

Is the stamina rating scaled relative to other pitchers at the same position? For example, if I take a 35 stamina reliever who can usually throw maybe 40 pitches at most before being 100% exhausted and stuff him in as a starter instead, will he magically be able to throw 70 pitches?

And vice-versa, if I demote my 60 stamina starter to the bullpen, will he suddenly have a cap of 50 pitches in relief because his 60 vs other relievers' 30 is good, but still he isn't a starter so therefore you can't expect him to throw 80 pitches even though he does that as a starter all the time?

If this is the way that it works, I assume that the starters moving to the pen generally get an uptick in performance? Is this trying to show that they are putting more effort into every pitch and not trying to pace themselves? Is there an injury risk to taking a guy with low stamina who has never started a game in his life and stuffing him into the rotation?

Sorry, that was kind of long, but it seems like a bit of an important concept to me. I had assumed that if you wanted to convert a reliever to a starter, you would have to stretch him out and watch the stamina gradually increase.
Gruber_Tagged_Him is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2019, 06:14 PM   #2
saturn2187
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gruber_Tagged_Him View Post
(Newbie here, but man am I having fun into the 3rd year of my first go-round...)

I assumed that a pitcher's stamina was an absolute thing. So in essence the higher the stamina the more pitches they could throw at any given time, no matter whether they were throwing as a starter or in relief. Based upon the very low stamina starter (35, I'm still using 20-80) that I just ran across, though, and looking at his Game Logs, I am quite suspicious that this is not the case.

Is the stamina rating scaled relative to other pitchers at the same position? For example, if I take a 35 stamina reliever who can usually throw maybe 40 pitches at most before being 100% exhausted and stuff him in as a starter instead, will he magically be able to throw 70 pitches?

And vice-versa, if I demote my 60 stamina starter to the bullpen, will he suddenly have a cap of 50 pitches in relief because his 60 vs other relievers' 30 is good, but still he isn't a starter so therefore you can't expect him to throw 80 pitches even though he does that as a starter all the time?

If this is the way that it works, I assume that the starters moving to the pen generally get an uptick in performance? Is this trying to show that they are putting more effort into every pitch and not trying to pace themselves? Is there an injury risk to taking a guy with low stamina who has never started a game in his life and stuffing him into the rotation?

Sorry, that was kind of long, but it seems like a bit of an important concept to me. I had assumed that if you wanted to convert a reliever to a starter, you would have to stretch him out and watch the stamina gradually increase.
Your Starting pitchers do see an increase in their stuff rating in the pen, and they tire more quickly as well.
saturn2187 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2019, 06:40 PM   #3
BMW
Hall Of Famer

In terms of how it ties into real life too - if you're bringing a guy out of the bullpen, I think the game has the largely correct assumption that you don't want to only have him available every 5 or 6 days.

There's no precedence for a player in baseball history that would regularly come out in a relief role and throw 100 pitches.

So the game is probably modeled to those expectations. Like Saturn said, you go out and you throw your hardest (because the times a manager in MLB history went to the bullpen and told the guy "okay, throw me 7 innings of relief" can probably be counted on two hands).

OOTP20 looks like it may tackle Openers, so this may actually change somewhat.
Old 01-14-2019, 08:11 PM   #4
Gruber_Tagged_Him
Minors (Triple A)

Thank you both for the help and clarification. I was a bit more concerned about the idea of somebody who has been closing for years getting thrown into the starting rotation and immediately having a 75-pitch outing (albeit a somewhat ineffective one once the 5th rolled around).

I guess my next step towards trying to understand things is to take a low stamina reliever with 3 decent pitches and chuck him in as a starter and see what happens. I still feel that the guy who has not thrown 40 pitches in an outing in the entire season shouldn't suddenly be able to throw 75 as a starter...

Agreed re: how starters should react to the bullpen. Just surprised that it works in reverse with no apparent ill effects on the "starter".
Gruber_Tagged_Him is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2019, 08:59 PM   #5
saturn2187
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gruber_Tagged_Him View Post
Thank you both for the help and clarification. I was a bit more concerned about the idea of somebody who has been closing for years getting thrown into the starting rotation and immediately having a 75-pitch outing (albeit a somewhat ineffective one once the 5th rolled around).

I guess my next step towards trying to understand things is to take a low stamina reliever with 3 decent pitches and chuck him in as a starter and see what happens. I still feel that the guy who has not thrown 40 pitches in an outing in the entire season shouldn't suddenly be able to throw 75 as a starter...

Agreed re: how starters should react to the bullpen. Just surprised that it works in reverse with no apparent ill effects on the "starter".
Unfortunately, as it pertains to stamina , there is no such thing as "stretching out" a guy, or the reverse - not sure what that would be called. You could use Clayton Kershaw as your closer all season long, and he'd be able to pitch 8 innings with ease in October. Its fully ratings based, and not one bit based on what he has done or how he has been used.
saturn2187 is offline   Reply With Quote