Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 19 > OOTP 19 - Fictional Simulations

OOTP 19 - Fictional Simulations Discuss fictional simulations and their results in this forum.

Old 01-10-2019, 01:25 AM   #1
stealofhome
Hall Of Famer

Stealofhome's Fictional Feeder Leagues and MLB Extravaganza

This is happening.

I've spent the past year learning every aspect of OOTP league settings, modifications, feeder leagues,etc that I cared to learn in order to make MY universe - the game save that will go with me until the end of time or the file corrupts, whichever come first.

This is that league.

I tend to think of this more as an open blog and analysis of the league than a fully immersive story, so there probably won't be much made-up back story or communication between players and managers. More likely this will be my plans for the league, what has happened throughout the year, what milestones have been achieved, and so on.

I will start with the settings, league set-ups, and modifications and then begin a 100+ year simulation from February 20th, 1900 until the present day. At that point I will take over the Brewers franchise and begin playing along with the league.

1900 | 1901 | 1902 | 1903 | 1904 | 1905 | 1906 | 1907 | 1908 | 1909 | 1910 | 1911 | 1912 | 1913 | 1914 | 1915 | 1916 | 1917 | 1918 | 1919 | 1920 | 1921 | 1922 | 1923 | 1924 | 1925 | 1926 | 1927 | 1928 | 1929 | 1930 | 1931 | 1932 | 1933 | 1934 | 1935 | 1936 | 1937 | 1938 | 1939 | 1940 | 1941 | 1942 | 1943 | 1944 | 1945 | 1946 | - | 1947

Last edited by stealofhome; 06-26-2019 at 03:31 PM.
stealofhome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 09:29 AM   #2
stealofhome
Hall Of Famer

Global Settings

Scouting Settings:
Typically when I have played OOTP, I turn off scouting. I like to run analysis and it bothers me when the data is bad on purpose. For this league I have the scouting turned on and the accuracy to normal, which will introduce a new challenge. I set the reports for every month as once I begin playing, I like to keep tabs on the development of my prospects.

Player Rating Scales
This is another controversial one for me. I always play with the scales at the highest amount of fidelity. This league may simplify the ratings a little and take away some information but hopefully cause decisions to be easier.

Coaching Staff Settings
Coaching is on because I enjoy that part of the game. Owner goals are off because I don't enjoy that part.

Auto-Save and Log
In initial testing, the league got so large 100 years in, that it would constantly force close. I am trying to reduce file size but need the box scores in case something special happens in one of the leagues. I will delete them as necessary.

Report Settings, Storylines, Financial Settings
Storylines are on as they add flavor to the game for me.
Attached Images
Image Image Image Image 

Last edited by stealofhome; 01-11-2019 at 09:56 AM.
Old 01-10-2019, 11:23 AM   #3
stealofhome
Hall Of Famer

Players & Facegen

Player Injury, Fatigue, & Suspensions
These are set to the stock OOTP values.

Player Personality Settings
I have personality ratings turned on, because I like this part of the game, even in real life. Some players act different - the stoic, quiet leader versus the team clown. It helps me feel that these are more than just lines of code but real, living people. Morale system is turned off because yuck. I enjoy nicknames sometimes but have them turned off since they don't add much for me and can be annoying sometimes when they don't match up well.

Player Development Settings
All left at stock OOTP settings.

Retiring Players Settings
This checkbox pains me to mark but it must be done. I love looking up busted prospects and former players, but with 100 years of history not everyone can be saved.

Stats Settings
I plan on coming up with some databases to analyze prospects and will use feeder and minor league fielding data for that so I am saving it. The others would be nice but not necessary and again need to save file space.

Facegen Settings
Pictures for everyone! Baseball cards are a fun thing to do but I currently have them disabled as I don't know how much I'll actually use them.
Attached Images
Image Image Image 
Old 01-10-2019, 11:38 AM   #4
stealofhome
Hall Of Famer

AI Settings

Trading AI Settings
Left at stock settings. I tend to only change this when I feel like the AI is being unreasonable and it seems to make large swings either way during a trade.

Player Evaluation AI Settings
These are left stock as well. I planned on doing a stats-only approach, but the game doesn't really handle that well in terms of visualizing it within the game. If I did stats-only, I would create a ranking algorithm myself and still have overall values. Then I would have to look at my database, look at the game, look back at the database...too much of a hassle. I am also concerned with how realistic the evaluation is early in the year if there is a heavy percentage placed on the current year.

Other AI Settings
In general I leave the AI to use traditional lineups, although I will do some manipulation of my own lineup once I begin playing.
Attached Images
Old 01-10-2019, 12:01 PM   #5
stealofhome
Hall Of Famer

League Settings - Rules

League Rules
I'm pro-DH and so is my National League.

Roster Rules
No changes here, left at current MLB settings and will stay the same through the history. I like the idea of as much consistency as possible so the players in 1900 are playing basically the same game as those in 2019.

Minor League Settings
I turned on ghost players because I was running into some issues with incomplete minor league teams in some of the testing.

Rule 5 Draft Settings
No change.

Trading Rules
I allow trading of recently drafted players immediately, turn off the allow trades with other Major Leagues, and allow trading of injured players. I do like to trade draft picks but have found myself gaming the system with it quite a bit so leave it off instead.

Amateur Draft Settings
The players in the draft only come from the feeder leagues. It is 35 rounds on June 5th.

2012 CBA
Turned on.

Feeding into Draft Pool
None.
Attached Images
Image Image Image Image Image 

Last edited by stealofhome; 01-10-2019 at 08:40 PM.
Old 01-10-2019, 12:58 PM   #6
stealofhome
Hall Of Famer

League Settings - Financials

Attendance Settings
Regular settings for the 2018 financial model.

Financial & Free Agency Settings
Regular settings for the 2018 financial model.

Team Revenue Settings
I changed the national media contract to the same for every team. I hope to have more balanced finances around the league than is currently the case in real life.

Team Expenses & Salary Settings
Regular settings for the 2018 financial model. I did not want to change the finances too much because it seems like you can really mess things up quickly and have an entire league in debt. It will be strange when players from the early 20th century are making millions of dollars but that's not a big deal to me. I also have an Independent League and have the finances just slightly below the MLB in order to compete for lower potential players.
Attached Images
Image Image Image Image 
Old 01-10-2019, 01:12 PM   #7
stealofhome
Hall Of Famer

League Settings - Options -1, MLB

Dynamically Evolving League
I made the league the way I like it, thank you very much.

Team Promotions
No promotion/relegation.

Progressing Settings
There are no real players, but the league stats will follow what the MLB did historically. It does seem to keep everything muted - no .400 seasons or 500 game winners, possibly because the strategy settings are more in line with current day.

Award Names
I currently have all the Award names very generic but will be changing them throughout history once a player is deserving of having an award named after him. Who will be this league's Cy Young? I will also change the name of the Silver Slugger and Gold Glove to player names and possibly even the manager award.

Hall of Fame Settings
No waiting period for the HOF in my world. I will be keeping a close eye on this and will make changes in who is inducted as needed. I have found that way too many relievers get inducted by the AI.

Milestone Settings
The milestone settings are the same with the exception of Career Saves which I increased to 500.
Attached Images
Old 01-10-2019, 01:26 PM   #8
stealofhome
Hall Of Famer

League Settings - Options - 2, MLB

Schedule Settings
All seasons will be the same length - 162 games.

Spring Training Options
Default Spring Training.

All-Star Game Settings
I turned the influence of popularity down a little bit so that possibly a few more deserving players get the nod. I also do not have all teams required to be represented, again so that the best players are voted into the game.

Playoff Settings
The playoffs are set to current MLB settings.
Attached Images
Image Image 
Old 01-10-2019, 01:39 PM   #9
stealofhome
Hall Of Famer

League Settings - Players, MLB

Fictional Player Settings
No changes on the age max/min for MLB or player origin. I took away IFA because I noticed that those players were much more likely to do better in MLB than the feeder league players. This is the same reason I reduced the amount of scouting discoveries to few. The hall of fame and top players have a much higher percentage of international free agents than feeder league players. To counteract this, I've increased the percentage of feeder players coming from around the world.

Free Agents
No free agents from the Independent Leagues either. I want there to be statistics from these players for as long a history as possible. The idea is that the entire world exists in the game - players either come from high school, college, or some random country into the international complex.

Modifiers
No changes to these. I did a bunch of studies on how to manipulate them to change the feeder league talent but in the end found it not to be worth the hassle.
Attached Images
Image Image Image 
Old 01-10-2019, 01:51 PM   #10
stealofhome
Hall Of Famer

League Settings - Stats & AI - 1, MLB

Tracked Stats Detail
Very High - Give me all the stats! I plan on looking at comparisons between batter and pitcher type and success rate based on the various skill ratings, which will require these stats.

League Strategy, AI and Stats Modifiers
Starts in year 1900. The Strategy and AI stay the same but the Stats Modifiers will change as the years progress.

Import Settings
N/A

General AI Roster Settings
Set for 2018 rosters. Two way players turned off.

General Strategic Tendencies
Set for 2018 tendencies.
Attached Images
Image Image Image 
Old 01-10-2019, 01:53 PM   #11
stealofhome
Hall Of Famer

League Settings - Stats & AI - 2, MLB

League Totals
These will update as the years change according to historical MLB values.

Totals
No changes made.

Position Modifiers
No changes made.
Attached Images
Image Image Image 
Old 01-11-2019, 10:00 AM   #12
stealofhome
Hall Of Famer

League Settings - Rules, ATL

I put the Independent Atlantic League in the game in order to take some of the players that would otherwise be free agents. It gives them a chance to prove themselves and come back to the big leagues.

League Rules
And you get a DH and you get a DH...

Roster Rules
25-man rosters with space for some minor league players or prospects and backups.

Trading Rules
I turn the ability to trade injured players on and turn off the ability to trade with the MLB.

Amateur Draft Settings
No draft, only failed MLBers (a lot of minor league free agents).

2012 CBA
Turned on.

Feeding
None.
Attached Images
Image Image Image 

Last edited by stealofhome; 01-11-2019 at 10:03 AM.
Old 01-11-2019, 10:15 AM   #13
stealofhome
Hall Of Famer

League Settings - Financials, ATL

Attendance Settings
Regular settings for the 2018 MLB financial model.

Financial & Free Agency Settings
I want players to leave the ATL as easily as possible if they want to or if an MLB team is willing to take them. They can purchase them or pick them up as free agents.

Team Revenue Settings
Same media contract for every team and much higher numbers than in real life.

Team Expenses & Salary Settings
Contracts can only be one year so the players are always free agents available to MLB teams. I set the financials higher than typical Indy league numbers but not quite matching up with the MLB. I want this league to compete for the 30-50 out of 80 overall rating players so they don't get stuck in the free agent pool every year and have a chance to play. These finances allow them to do that but they still don't have enough money to sign any stars. Mostly players who have had injuries or who are at the end of their career find themselves in the league.
Attached Images
Image Image Image Image 
Old 01-11-2019, 10:35 AM   #14
stealofhome
Hall Of Famer

League Settings - NCAA

The top feeder league is an 86-team NCAA league.

Feeder League Settings
Players come in at age 18 and all players are created at that age. A few high schoolers will make their way into the league as well. They become draft-eligible at 21.

DH Rule
Everyone gets a DH!

Roster Rules
I did a lot of testing with feeder leagues and settled on these rosters to manipulate the available draft talent and minimize the amount of zero potential free agents every year.

Playoffs
The playoffs are a March Madness style 32 team tournament with one game each, mostly so the playoffs don't get so long that they run past the MLB draft date.

Players are created at 18 and a full 15% come from random countries - that's a lot of foreign exchange students.This may be my favorite part of this game. Players come from all over the place and with the mods in place, they have some really unique names.

Modifiers
I left these as standard.

AI Roster Settings
These settings help increase the amount of hitters and starting pitching and decrease the amount of relievers in the draft. OOTP just doesn't create pitchers correctly in Feeder Leagues looking forward to the MLB draft so this is what I've done to mitigate it.

Strategic Tendencies
The strategic tendencies are edited a bit from the MLB to go with the 6-man rotation and tiny bullpen.
Attached Images
Old 01-11-2019, 10:43 AM   #15
stealofhome
Hall Of Famer

League Settings - High School

The very bottom of the universe is the group of high school feeder leagues. There are 10 leagues, each with 10 teams (that's 100 total teams) based in regions around the United States.

Most of the settings are the same as the NCAA league.

Feeder League Settings
Players come in at age 14 and all players are created at that age. Most of the high potential high schoolers get drafted into the MLB right away and very few end up in college. I couldn't find a way around this without creating way too many leagues.

Playoffs
Since the leagues are so small, only the top two teams play each other in the State Championship series.

Players are created at 14 and 15% come from random countries.

Modifiers
I left these as standard.
Attached Images
Image Image Image 
Old 01-11-2019, 11:57 AM   #16
stealofhome
Hall Of Famer

League Setup - General, MLB, and ATL

As mentioned throughout the settings portion, there is one major league (MLB, 30 teams) and one independent league (ATL, 8 teams). There is a full set of minor leagues, matching up with present-day minors (AAA, AA, A+, A, A-, R).

There is one NCAA college feeder league with 86 teams and there are 10 high school feeder leagues, each based in a different state with 10 teams each (California, Florida, Georgia, Illinois, New York, New Mexico, North Carolina, Oregon, Texas, and Wisconsin).

The Major Leagues are very much the same as the present day, but with a few tweaks for logos' sake. The Tampa Bay Rays turn back into the Devil Rays, the Washington Nationals turn back into the Montreal Expos, and the Miami Marlins turn back into the Florida Marlins. I'll talk more about the changes in the mods section.

The Atlantic League is the stock league provided as part of the game.
Attached Images
Image Image Image 

Last edited by stealofhome; 01-11-2019 at 12:00 PM.
Old 01-11-2019, 12:15 PM   #17
stealofhome
Hall Of Famer

League Setup - NCAA

In order to determine which NCAA teams to include, I went to baseball-reference and ran the numbers on which teams had the most players in their database. I used this to select most of the schools and then sprinkled some in that I wanted (including my alma mater). The league is split into conferences which I tried to maintain close to real life, but did make some switches in order to balance the amount of teams in each. When changing, I tried to keep the conference as regional as possible.

Southeastern Conference
Alabama
Georgia
Texas A&M
Auburn
Mississippi State
Mississippi
Vanderbilt
Missouri
LSU
South Carolina
Arkansas
Florida
Tennessee
Kentucky

Atlantic Coast Conference
Miami
Clemson
Duke
North Carolina
Georgia Tech
Notre Dame
Wake Forest
Virginia
North Carolina
Florida State

Big 12 Conference
West Virginia
Oklahoma State
Kansas
Nebraska
Texas
Rice
TCU
Texas Tech
Oklahoma
Baylor

Big East
Holy Cross
St Johns
Georgetown
Villanova
East Carolina
Boston College
Pittsburgh
Seton Hall
Fordham
Pennsylvania

Big Ten
Ohio State
Indiana
Minnesota
Michigan State
Purdue
Penn State
Michigan
Maryland
Iowa
Illinois

Mountain West
Wichita State
Houston
New Mexico
San Jose State
New Mexico State
San Diego State
Tulan
Fresno
UC Santa Barbara
Long Beach State

Pac-12 Conference
Stanford
Washington
Oregon State
UCLA
California
Southern California
Cal State Fullerton
Arizona State
Arizona
Washington State

West Coast Conference
Loyola
Pepperdine
BYU
Santa Clara
San Francisco
St Marys
Attached Images
Image Image Image Image 
Old 01-11-2019, 12:30 PM   #18
stealofhome
Hall Of Famer

League Setup - HS, 1

The High School teams were taken mostly from Bristolduke's American Feeder System Quickstart. I first selected states that were most representated in professional baseball, again from baseball-reference. I also selected some states that I wanted and some to get players from all regions of the country.

In order to select the 10 teams from each state, I scoured the team lists and picked out the most unique names - there are a lot of teams called the Panthers, but not a whole lot called the Wooden Shoes.

I also designated each state as a particular U.S. region in order to get players only from those areas.

California: Far West Region - Alaska, Arizona, California, Colorado, Hawaii, Idaho, Montana, Nevada, New Mexico, Oregon, Utah, Washington, Wyoming

Florida: Southeast Region - Alabama, Arkansas, Florida, Georgia, Kentucky, Louisiana, Mississippi, North Carolina, South Carolina, Tennessee, Virginia, West Virginia

Georgia: Southeast Region - Alabama, Arkansas, Florida, Georgia, Kentucky, Louisiana, Mississippi, North Carolina, South Carolina, Tennessee, Virginia, West Virginia

Illinois: Great Lakes - Illinois, Indiana, Michigan, Minnesota, New York, Ohio, Pennsylvania, Wisconsin

New Mexico: Far West Region - Alaska, Arizona, California, Colorado, Hawaii, Idaho, Montana, Nevada, New Mexico, Oregon, Utah, Washington, Wyoming
Attached Images

Last edited by stealofhome; 01-12-2019 at 12:16 AM.
Old 01-11-2019, 12:34 PM   #19
stealofhome
Hall Of Famer

League Setup - HS, 2

New York: Northeast Region - Connecticut, Delaware, District of Columbia, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New York, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, Vermont

North Carolina: Southeast Region - Alabama, Arkansas, Florida, Georgia, Kentucky, Louisiana, Mississippi, North Carolina, South Carolina, Tennessee, Virginia, West Virginia

Oregon: Far West Region - Alaska, Arizona, California, Colorado, Hawaii, Idaho, Montana, Nevada, New Mexico, Oregon, Utah, Washington, Wyoming

Texas: Great Plains Region - Kansas, Nebraska, North Dakota, Oklahoma, South Dakota, Texas

Wisconsin: Upper Midwest Region - Iowa, Kansas, Minnesota, Missouri, Nebraska, North Dakota, South Dakota, Wisconsin
Attached Images

Last edited by stealofhome; 01-12-2019 at 12:18 AM.
Old 01-11-2019, 04:52 PM   #20
Ramzavail
All Star Reserve

hope we get a quickstart
Ramzavail is offline   Reply With Quote